AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Can someone explain how the Avatar works when it’s on the cauldron?

Specifically, if I activate it, does it walk off the cauldron? Do I measure the walking distance from its starting point on the dais, or from the edge of the base?

If I’m on turn three, can I move my cauldron, then move my Avatar off the cauldron, or has he already moved for the turn as part of the cauldron?

I may be overcomplicating things, but it’s a bit of an oddball unit.

Edited by Ravenborn

8 minutes ago, Ravenborn said:

Can someone explain how the Avatar works when it’s on the cauldron?

Specifically, if I activate it, does it walk off the cauldron? Do I measure the walking distance from its starting point on the dais, or from the edge of the base?

If I’m on turn three, can I move my cauldron, then move my Avatar off the cauldron, or has he already moved for the turn as part of the cauldron?

I may be overcomplicating things, but it’s a bit off an oddball unit.

The Avatar on the Cauldron is part of the same model. As cool as it would be with it walking off the cauldron, only the Avatar on foot can move by itself. Until activated by a prayer or turn three, it is an inanimate statue and cannot move or attack.

3 minutes ago, Ravenborn said:

Ah, thanks! Guess that makes sense, since the Bloodwrack Medusa can’t hop off and do her own thing. 

So the Torrent of BLOOOOD and sword are always active on the Cauldron, correct?

Only when the Avatar is animated.

Yep in one way the Avatar on the cauldron is protected since whilst it remains on the table its always got a queen with a prayer who can animate it every turn that its needed; whilst one on foot has the modest risk that if your queen(s) are killed off fast it might not be able to activate for a turn or two. 

18 hours ago, Jais said:

Since 2.0, aside from 3 places of Arcane Power, all objectives are tap-and-go. I think we're better off with leaving our far objectives "controlled" and empty while rushing forward to contest the opponents objectives  - so if we need to we can then always summon our Khinerai as screens to prevent movement or even summon them  on our  point to hold it for another round.  We're an offensive army and that's our win condition, really. I don't think we need* to draft 3 units of 10 liberators to "hold" a point when it's a tap-and-go game now.

I think I may be wrong but isn't this extremely risky?

For most battleplans,  you score VP at the end of your turn. Hence, the moment you leave it empty, smart opponents will tap it during their turn to score VP. Like how you could with Khinerai on the opponent's unattended objective.

So the golden rule is if your opponent still have units in reserve, never leave your controlled objective points unattended.

Just getting into the hobby and decided to get some khinerai. Should I make them heartrenders or lifetakers. I have not played any games so, I don't really know if the shooting with heartrenders after they hop on to the field is a good tactic or if simply charging with lifetakers is better. Any advice would be good. 

7 minutes ago, Kaladin said:

Just getting into the hobby and decided to get some khinerai. Should I make them heartrenders or lifetakers. I have not played any games so, I don't really know if the shooting with heartrenders after they hop on to the field is a good tactic or if simply charging with lifetakers is better. Any advice would be good. 

Both are good options so you can't go wrong either way, however the key is to realise that Khinerai are very fragile units so they are best as surgical strikes; support, contesting objectives late game or in an isolated area of the battlefield. As such you might find the ranged version easier to get start with as they can swoop in; fire their spears and then run away from that combat; their initial appearance on the battlefield gives them a bit more rending power too  for that turn. They most certainly don't want to start on the battlefield and instead want to strike in from off the table so that they get that bonus and so that they appear where they need t obe without having to travel there on the table (and thus risking being shot up). 

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

Can't find it, but wasn't there an FAQ which put a cap of <8 wounds on heroes?

I can't find any mention of this,

However "look out sir" only requires that the hero unit be within range of your other units to get the effect. So it stands to reason that yes our Cauldrons and Shrine do get "look out sir" protection. Think of it not as the whole shrine/cauldron dodging but the units standing upon the structure. 

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

I can't find any mention of this,

However "look out sir" only requires that the hero unit be within range of your other units to get the effect. So it stands to reason that yes our Cauldrons and Shrine do get "look out sir" protection. Think of it not as the whole shrine/cauldron dodging but the units standing upon the structure. 

<8 wounds sounds like a 40k thing. I think the only limitation to Look out sir is 'Monsters' keyword. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InSaint said:

I think I may be wrong but isn't this extremely risky?

For most battleplans,  you score VP at the end of your turn. Hence, the moment you leave it empty, smart opponents will tap it during their turn to score VP. Like how you could with Khinerai on the opponent's unattended objective.

So the golden rule is if your opponent still have units in reserve, never leave your controlled objective points unattended.

This strategy is effective against armies that don't have teleportation, deepstrike, or highly mobile flying units.  But even in the case they do, DoK have such astronomical offensive power that it is a valid game plan to try to win through annihilate your opponent and focus on VPs after the fact.  

4 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Some more pics of my army 30 Witches with Bucklers and Warlocks. Another unit of 20 Blood Sisters and two units of Sisters of Slaughter are next. 

received_1973309789404119.jpeg

received_1973310012737430.jpeg

Those deadly girls looks live even better! While you experience power of SoS you will not want to resign from this unit. 6 inch pile in with ability to enter into combat gives such an incredibly variety of tricks. How do you plan to organize your force for 2K? I am playing 2 units of witch elves with bucklers and one SoS with double weapon. I am thinking whether reasonable would be to ad 140 point snakes unit?

Edited by Ered
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ered said:

Those deadly girls looks live even better! While you experience power of SoS you will not want to resign from this unit. 6 inch pile in with ability to enter into combat gives such an incredibly variety of tricks. How do you plan to organize your force for 2K? I am playing 2 units of witch elves with bucklers and one SoS with double weapon. I am thinking whether reasonable would be to ad 140 point snakes unit?

Dante needs to be arrested for abusing and shaming his fellow painters with his INSANE painting ability, lol. Those witches and ponies are as good as anything I’ve ever seen. Dante is an amazing artist! Bravo, sir!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

<8 wounds sounds like a 40k thing. I think the only limitation to Look out sir is 'Monsters' keyword. 

The 8 wounds things applies to cover save modifiers, not look out sir; a unit can benefit from cover so long as it is not a Monster with more than 8 wounds.  Fortunately shrines are neither monsters nor war machines, so they can enjoy both cover and Look Out, Sir!, I did expect this to be FAQd at some point, but it seems to have at the very least gone unnoticed so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lucentia said:

The 8 wounds things applies to cover save modifiers, not look out sir; a unit can benefit from cover so long as it is not a Monster with more than 8 wounds.  Fortunately shrines are neither monsters nor war machines, so they can enjoy both cover and Look Out, Sir!, I did expect this to be FAQd at some point, but it seems to have at the very least gone unnoticed so far.

That was it!

@Scythian unfortunately it's not my work as I'm not much of an artist :( I only did test model and army was painted by my friend Artur. 

Considering army buidling I'm still torn between few options I'm going to play Warhammer Fest Europe Throne of Skulls event and still haven't decided which army to bring. My first reaction was something (Khailebron) to counter Kroak/Nagash lists but with new FAQ they aren't THAT overpowering. Khailebron Witch list is still a possibility as well as my regular Blood Sisters lists (Shrine, Cauldron,2xHag, 30 Witche, 20 Blood Sisters, 10 Witches, Morathi, 5 Heartrenders) and Hagg Narr Witch Heavy (90) list maybe but it's a big maybe Morathi-less 40 snakes list that I have came up with some time ago. Both list without Blood Sisters have Sisters of Slaughter in them. Also I didn't have much time to playtestall  endless spells but from few games I did play I can't find anything that is auto include. 

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

@Scythian unfortunately it's not my work as I'm not much of an artist :( I only did test model and army was painted by my friend Artur. 

Considering army buidling I'm still torn between few options I'm going to play Warhammer Fest Europe Throne of Skulls event and still haven't decided which army to bring. My first reaction was something (Khailebron) to counter Kroak/Nagash lists but with new FAQ they aren't THAT overpowering. Khailebron Witch list is still a possibility as well as my regular Blood Sisters lists (Shrine, Cauldron,2xHag, 30 Witche, 20 Blood Sisters, 10 Witches, Morathi, 5 Heartrenders) and Hagg Narr Witch Heavy (90) list maybe but it's a big maybe Morathi-less 40 snakes list that I have came up with some time ago. Both list without Blood Sisters have Sisters of Slaughter in them. Also I didn't have much time to playtestall  endless spells but from few games I did play I can't find anything that is auto include. 

Tell Artur that his work is phenomenal. 

• Like 1