AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 minutes ago, justpayload said:

two cauldrons enables division to support both the 30 blobs, slaughter queen cauldron enables double attacks with devoted disciples to make the sisters output as much damage as the witch aelves while also maintaining the buff, the hag queen backs up the witch aelves to give them witch brew as well as being able to take an objective held by stragglers by itself, you also answered your own question a bit, due to iron circlet the avatar is almost always active, so you can use its weapons with rend to overcome armies that have armor saves. I've tested a list with two bloodwracks and a hag queen instead and didn't like it at all, not enough wounds output. TBH I think morathi is  kinda bad, she's too easy to gum up with 20 man units and can't chew through fast enough, I think two bloodwracks + another hag queen + converting the lifetakers into a heartrenders squad and adding 5 more might be better. 

I also think having two cauldrons negates the stigma around losing one, it doesn't hurt nearly as much when your units are still getting blood save bonuses

9 minutes ago, justpayload said:

two cauldrons enables division to support both the 30 blobs, slaughter queen cauldron enables double attacks with devoted disciples to make the sisters output as much damage as the witch aelves while also maintaining the buff, the hag queen backs up the witch aelves to give them witch brew as well as being able to take an objective held by stragglers by itself, you also answered your own question a bit, due to iron circlet the avatar is almost always active, so you can use its weapons with rend to overcome armies that have armor saves. I've tested a list with two bloodwracks and a hag queen instead and didn't like it at all, not enough wounds output. TBH I think morathi is  kinda bad, she's too easy to gum up with 20 man units and can't chew through fast enough, I think two bloodwracks + another hag queen + converting the lifetakers into a heartrenders squad and adding 5 more might be better. 

I understand the concept, but I think you're losing out by trying to have two sources to project power from. Really we are fast enough that we can redeploy to where we need to be without needing the second cauldron in my experience. Most armies are so aggressive that they'll come to you anyways. I've had a lot of success allowing my opponent to assault my castle and then striking out from there. Obviously your mileage may vary...

While redundancy in the cauldron is nice, I feel its unnecessary. They rarely go down unless you're charging with them, but their value to me is their buffs, not their damage output (as good as that is). If you're using them as a primary attacker, then they're going down, or at least being damaged and bracketed regularly, and that blood shield gets hard to maintain fast with the size/mobility of our units. Again, your mileage may vary, but I've found success in just a single cauldron around which to build from and allow the units it's supporting to do the heavy lifting. One cauldron gives the same bonuses, albeit with a smaller bubble (still quite large though really) and simply taking a hag in its place nets you a couple hundred points to play with. Keeping it healthy until late game, where it can be a real tool has been massive for me, but mine never sees combat by choice until turn 3 unless I'm in dire straits anyways.

I sincerely disagree on Marathi being bad. Yes, she can be gummed up because her output sucks, but she can also gum up your opponent's key pieces, but do so much more reliably. With move 14 and fly, she shouldn't have a problem getting into what she wants to hold up. Simply having her in your list forces your opponent to account for her, and do things they may not do otherwise, giving the rest of your army a more favorable game. And if they don't, well she will just neutralize a unit for 2+turns. Not to mention the hero/wizard game types she heavily puts into your favor. She is one of the game's ultimate bullies. Maybe not the most efficient in raw stats, but there's always at least 1 game i can say i won at the end of a gt just because of the effect she has on people. I'd make a similar argument for heartrenders like you suggested though. Major players they are.

• Like 1

Morathi is one of the most amazing tech units in Age of Sigmar, surely she can be better or worse depending on meta but she offers something other armies dont have - you can put her forward, dominate whole movement phase thanks to that. 

Calling Morathi "bad" is just wrong, maybe you don't like her, can't play with her or want other options but she is nowhere near "bad" she is clearly one of the best units in AoS. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rjaymarchant@gmail.com said:

Hey all,  just starting with the start collecting box. As I'm building I'm wondering if I should build a character on a cauldron or a bloodwrack Medusa Shrine. Any consensus? 

In my opinion you should magnetise the unit. It is worth to put some effort in that. The Avatar statue and the big mirror are easy to magnetise. The Medusa can be magnetised easy as well and Slaugherqueen or Hag Queen can stand on their base if you like. I would glue the two witch elves nevertheless.

On 5/10/2020 at 9:33 PM, Kaleun said:

In my opinion you should magnetise the unit. It is worth to put some effort in that. The Avatar statue and the big mirror are easy to magnetise. The Medusa can be magnetised easy as well and Slaugherqueen or Hag Queen can stand on their base if you like. I would glue the two witch elves nevertheless.

I agree. I've built 3 of these cauldron sets now that are all magnetised so I can run them all as either Hag Queen or Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood or the Bloodwrack Shrine.

I followed this vid for the first one and adapted the others depending on what magnets I had laying around.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slight step to the side, but something I think DOK fans would really appreciate. Came across this on FB of all places and haven't yet found a better link: 

Though this appears to be his youtube 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxYXO-fOBghtRwBU_IikWLw

Though the fb video is the most simplistic presentation (no cut aways) of a single performance. Gives you some idea of what dancing with blades could potentially look like. Note I don't know if he's dancing with a real blade or more a baton made to look like a blade and its obviously weighted at the back more. That said very impressive dancing! 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm voting for Khinerai as the best-worst model GW has made.

On the one hand they look stunning - they are easy to build and are beauties to see. All lithe and deadly looking with cool wings and neat weapons - I own 40 of them and would love an excuse to own more. 

On the other hand they are all thin spindly long wing fingers; and long spindly tails and long spears. They are FREAKING a pain to paint, play and transport.

Got myself A KR Multicase case and some foam in a few sizes and honestly if I start to put the khinerai into foam that protects them without risking the spines on their wings snapping off casually with insertion/removal (transport itself is fine, its getting them in/out that is the risk) then I'm hardly going to fit any in a case to the point where I'm likely moving more air than model. I've avoided the idea of metal plates and magnets for them because of the risk of their tails breaking in shock due to transport or their wings getting entangled with each other, but it might be the only practical approach. 

4 hours ago, Overread said:

I'm voting for Khinerai as the best-worst model GW has made.

On the one hand they look stunning - they are easy to build and are beauties to see. All lithe and deadly looking with cool wings and neat weapons - I own 40 of them and would love an excuse to own more. 

On the other hand they are all thin spindly long wing fingers; and long spindly tails and long spears. They are FREAKING a pain to paint, play and transport.

Got myself A KR Multicase case and some foam in a few sizes and honestly if I start to put the khinerai into foam that protects them without risking the spines on their wings snapping off casually with insertion/removal (transport itself is fine, its getting them in/out that is the risk) then I'm hardly going to fit any in a case to the point where I'm likely moving more air than model. I've avoided the idea of metal plates and magnets for them because of the risk of their tails breaking in shock due to transport or their wings getting entangled with each other, but it might be the only practical approach. 

I use a magnetized rack for my models because so many models in this range have thin, spindly components that bust off very easily (ive lost so many of the hooks at the ends of the sisters of slaughter whips), and figure they're safer magnetized. I haven't had any issue with the tails breaking off from the base in transport, though I am sure to pull them off the tray by their base and not the model itself. But yes, another transport issue is their size. You can fit way more in a list than you could ever transport to an event comfortably.

Yeah I've been worried about their tails for a long time on a magnetic rack,but seeing and trying them in foam I just can't see anything but magnets for transporting a decent number of them. If I were only taking 5 or so I might well have done with loose fit foam, but trying to transport larger numbers it just takes up so much space that it quickly becomes impractical to consider. 

Thankfully I don't fly anywhere so I don't have to worry about carry-on size or overhead storage. 

13 minutes ago, Overread said:

Yeah I've been worried about their tails for a long time on a magnetic rack,but seeing and trying them in foam I just can't see anything but magnets for transporting a decent number of them. If I were only taking 5 or so I might well have done with loose fit foam, but trying to transport larger numbers it just takes up so much space that it quickly becomes impractical to consider. 

Thankfully I don't fly anywhere so I don't have to worry about carry-on size or overhead storage. 

I gave up on foam a long time ago after having more of my models break getting them out of the foam than when I was transporting them loosely. 

I theorized out an army built around a couple large lifetaker blobs, but I'd never be able to take it anywhere, so I've never gone through and done it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Engrimm said:

Hi all, just assembled Morathi and was wondering as a special character, does she benefit from Temple abilities like Khailebron's 'Concealment and Stealth'?

Morathi does, yes, all units with the DoK keyword in your army get the temple benefits.

The DoK book was the first one to include the sub-factions as a concept, so it's a little archaic in that regard, in a modern DoK book Morathi would probably have a Hagg Nar keyword baked into her warscroll, but for now she's free to go in any temple and use their rules.

On 6/25/2020 at 3:54 PM, Graywater said:

I gave up on foam a long time ago after having more of my models break getting them out of the foam than when I was transporting them loosely. 

I theorized out an army built around a couple large lifetaker blobs, but I'd never be able to take it anywhere, so I've never gone through and done it.

My solution was to get a few magnetic steel sheets from greenstuffworld and glue in some small magnets to the DoK bases. Then I lined shoe boxes with the steel sheets. If you then put bubblewrap or tissue paper clumps in the box it should work. But only if you're carrying it and have control of the box. May not be suitable for planes etc.  

Edited by zedatkinszed

On 7/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, DJMoose said:

Has anyone seen or heard any rumors for DoK point changes with GHB 2020?

Hag on foot up 10

Bloodwrack shrine and hag on cauldron down 10

Doomfire warlocks down 20

So we go pretty much untouched. Wonder if it means new book or just happy with our power level 

• Thanks 3

Hag again? So now 100 Points? 

Doomfire Warlocks needed it. But I think they struggle more because of their warscroll. Mostly because they are wizards and you have to cast before you can make a move. So you need to put them at risk and most of the time they won't survive until next herophase. 

Was kind of hoping Lifetakers would get knocked down 10, stalkers as well but we'd probably just need a new warscroll to fix those.

Hags up 10 is kind of annoying. When they're mandatory, they're mandatory. Making them pricier isn't going to make them  non-mandatory in lists that they otherwise would be, so it kind of just limits our already limited list diversity. But luckily it just puts a lot of my 1970 lists to 1990-2000 so no real harm done.

• Like 3