AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Is it worth to take a cauldron guard battallion for a shadow stone instead of shadow warriors or chariots?

I have been playing with Morathi and a cauldron guard but I expect a lot of petrifex in my meta and I think 20 melusai would do better. It's not a big change in my previous list. What do you think of the list below? 

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Disciples
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Sacrament of Blood
Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Artefact: Shadow Stone
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
10 x Witch Aelves (120)
- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
10 x Witch Aelves (120)
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
5 x Khinerai Lifetakers (80)
Cauldron Guard (120)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

51 minutes ago, Victra said:

Is it worth to take a cauldron guard battallion for a shadow stone instead of shadow warriors or chariots?

I have been playing with Morathi and a cauldron guard but I expect a lot of petrifex in my meta and I think 20 melusai would do better. It's not a big change in my previous list. What do you think of the list below? 

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
- General
- Trait: Devoted Disciples
Hag Queen (90)
Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Artefact: Shadow Stone
30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
10 x Witch Aelves (120)
10 x Witch Aelves (120)
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
Cauldron Guard (120)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 129

I mean thats pretty standard if taking a battalion so should work well. I would take Blessing and Catechism standard on any prayers and then one of the other ones on top  

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

I mean thats pretty standard if taking a battalion so should work well. I would take Blessing and Catechism standard on any prayers and then one of the other ones on top  

Oops true, I mixed up catechism and sacrament. Thank you and congratulations for your result at LVO !

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 1:15 PM, MirageFive said:

Thanks! I had actually seen his list and it included a bunch of units I already like.

Another variation I'm actually considering is something like this:

Hagg Nar:
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron (General) - 330
Hag Queen - 90
Hag Queen - 90
30 Sisters - Bucklers - 300
30 Witches - Paired Knives - 300
10 Witches - Bucklers - 120
20 Blood Sisters - 480
3 Scourgerunners - 150
10 Shadow Warriors - 110
Total - 1970

So, I was running some rough math on Shadow warriors (in and out of cover) and scourge runner chariots. Both taking into account LOS -1.

I did 3 random dice generator rolls for each round of shooting, not including champions.

This is what I got:

30 Shadows vs 6 Scourge Runners (not inc champions)

Best of 3 rounds:

Shadow Warriors

In Cover, LOS:

3’s/3’s -1 1: 11W, 14w, 18W (before saves)

No cover, LOS:

4’/4’s; 4W, 3W, 8W

Scourgerunners:

LOS, 6’s D3 Mortals.
4’s/3’s -1 D3W:
4D3, 4D3MW
2D3, 4D3MW
2D3, 1D3MW

It is kinda interesting to me, that there is such a big difference between shadow warriors in cover and out of cover. I am actually wondering now if I should try 10 Shadow warriors and 3 Scourge Runners. Comes in at 260pts.

Reason I went for LOS is I am mainly using them to shoot support heroes.

Modelling question - I'm assembling two squads of Witch Aelves and two squads of Sisters of Slaughter.

So far I've only glued the bodies to the base. What would be your suggestions in terms of painting order?

Spraying, gluing, painting whatever. I made the mistake of gluing them all together and painting them that way last time... bit of a mistake.

Should I keep everything separate and glue it on at the end?

14 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Modelling question - I'm assembling two squads of Witch Aelves and two squads of Sisters of Slaughter.

So far I've only glued the bodies to the base. What would be your suggestions in terms of painting order?

Spraying, gluing, painting whatever. I made the mistake of gluing them all together and painting them that way last time... bit of a mistake.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to this. I myself fully assemble everything and then paint it all. It helps me see where light will hit and highlight accordingly. However, it seems you dont like this approach. What about it did you not like? Would doing particular pieces in sub assemblies help that?

18 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

I always try to assemble as much as possible same as @Graywater. But with the With Aelves and Sisters of Slaughter I only left the hair off. Had no problem reaching anything, and minimal assembly after painting. 

Ah ok - everything but the hair.

What do you guys spray them? I tried Corax white in my last batch, but I'm thinking of trying out Chaos Black to produce easier shadows in the recesses, as well as not needing to paint the black boots or try too hard at patching up all the white seeping through.

19 hours ago, Snakeb1te said:

Someone asked something similar on AOS Reddit a couple of months ago, so just pasting here. 

Witch Aelves - Assembly

• Leave the head (w hair) separated from body

• Leave the standard bearer army with pole separated body

Witch Aelves - Painting

• Follow this official guide -> https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/29/witch-aelves-made-easygw-homepage-post-3/

• Take care to only spray only a thin coat of primer on the face to preserve the details

• Paint 1 color at a time across each batch (i.e Paint the skins for all 10 before moving on to the cloth)

• Paint in batches of 10 to preserve your sanity (recommend you to alternate with Melusais and Khinerais)

• You can consider air brushing the hair to speed up the painting (but it does't look nice IMO)

Melusai Assembly

• Leave the hair and any obstructing arm (including weapon) separated from body

• Do not glue on the body to the base (so you easily paint some parts of the underbelly)

• Do not glue on the trinkets, quivers and ammo (it is easier to paint them separately)

Melusai Painting

• Same painting strategy as Witch Aelves, except this time also spray a thin coat on the scales

Painting Faces

• Unless you have the heart, time and determination to paint 70 eyes consistently, consider glowing eyes

• Watch make-up tutorials (no joking it works!)

Final Words

DoK is arguably one of the hardest army to paint because of the sheer quantity of models and design. It is quite difficult to speed up painting DoK with mass contrast or airbrush. Your greatest challenge is having the determination to grind though all 70 Witch Aelves / Sisters of Slaughter. Last but not least, find something to motivate you to paint. :)

34 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

Ah ok - everything but the hair.

What do you guys spray them? I tried Corax white in my last batch, but I'm thinking of trying out Chaos Black to produce easier shadows in the recesses, as well as not needing to paint the black boots or try too hard at patching up all the white seeping through.

I went white because takes so much effort to do over black. 

I'd suggest a grey primer not black for the shadows. Maybe grey seer or wraithbone?

1500 pt tourney coming up, looking for list advice. Pretty basic list. 

Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (300)
Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 106

Palisade is just the only thing that appealed to me at 30 pts. Can possibly be useful. 

pretty much just push forward with the devoted disciples aura and the blood cauldron aura, try to take points. Sneks and witch aelves both will have bshock immunity with hags brew. Catchecism/ mind razor on the sneks or witch aleves depending on what needs to die.  Blessing of khaine on whoever is going to need it based on whats getting charged/charging. 

i would have loved to fit a slaughter queen as general for the hero phase attack, but then i cant run sneks as battleline. 

3 hours ago, Ser_namron said:

Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
Hag Queen (90)
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1500 / 1500

Palisade is just the only thing that appealed to me at 30 pts. Can possibly be useful. 

pretty much just push forward with the devoted disciples aura and the blood cauldron aura, try to take points. Sneks and witch aelves both will have bshock immunity with hags brew. Catchecism/ mind razor on the sneks or witch aleves depending on what needs to die.  Blessing of khaine on whoever is going to need it based on whats getting charged/charging. 

i would have loved to fit a slaughter queen as general for the hero phase attack, but then i cant run sneks as battleline. 

If your tournament is only requiring 2 battleline at the 1500 point mark, this is pretty much the same setup I'd go with. My only suggestion is taking out the palisade to improve the lifetakers to heartrenders and the shot at a triumph. You can only cast one spell per turn and there is very few occasions I'd ever pass on trying for mindrazor; I'd be surprised if you cast palisade over mindrazor and theres a chance a triumph can come in huge.

New Gotrek list I am probably going to try for wetcoastgt (need my 3rd  for https://gotrek-glorious-gotrek.com/)

I played a version of it last night and tabled some STD (had hag general not SQ and 10 more WE)

Hag Narr
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood - General, Blessing of khaine
Hag Queen - Catechism of Murder
BloodWrack Shrine - Shadow Stone, Mindazor
3 x 10 Sisters of Slaughter with Shields
20 Blood Sisters
Gortek Gurnisson

14 minutes ago, Graywater said:

If your tournament is only requiring 2 battleline at the 1500 point mark, this is pretty much the same setup I'd go with. My only suggestion is taking out the palisade to improve the lifetakers to heartrenders and the shot at a triumph. You can only cast one spell per turn and there is very few occasions I'd ever pass on trying for mindrazor; I'd be surprised if you cast palisade over mindrazor and theres a chance a triumph can come in huge

Ooh you are correct, i guess i wont be casting anything other than mindrazor really. Heart renders and a triumph it is! 

Good morning my fellow AoSers,

With the lumineth realm lords I am planning my re-entry into the hobby. My wife has also peaked a bit of interest into the modeling and painting and with that some possible interest into learning how to play the game rather than just hobbying with me, as she enjoys painting plaster houses I feel she will at least enjoy the assembly and painting portion of the game. We have discussed what aesthetics would draw her into an army to paint, and she has disclosed to me that she would be more interested in painting an army that is a bit more sleek and feminine, not so bulky and man-ish. DoK is the one army that came to mind, as it is almost entirely comprised of female units. Hell even the masculine units in the army do look more feminine and I don't think would be that much of a stretch for me to convert to being female. 

I have a lot of experience with Warhammer 40k, and a decent amount of experience with the older WHFB but have never played AoS, not even with my old vampire counts model when they originally did the switch over. I cut my teeth in 40k with Eldar, and played a melee army when they were bad at melee in 3rd edition. Everyone told me I was playing them wrong, and I wasn't ever going to win, and with enough time and losses I figured out how to make a good aspect wind army that would actually preform well on the table top. I have no issues with loosing and struggling to learn a tougher army. I have no issue rolling DoK into a second side army (especially if my wife is still painting and modeling them) if my wife doesn't care for the game as a whole.

This leads me to my question for y'all. Is DoK a good army for someone new to the hobby to play? I dont think she needs the most powerful army on the block (not that I have any knowledge of which armies rank where in AoS), However is it pretty easy to understand and fun for a beginner to play and not going to be an uphill battle for her? I know the most important part of this hobby is do you like the look of and feel of your army. We wont be showing up at tournaments, it will be casual play more than likely between myself and her at our FLGS. it will also probably be the army I use to teach any of my other friends who might be interested in playing the game and I dont want to be setting them up for a confusing or bad start in a demo. Most people generally dont enjoy being face stomped in a demo lol! But anyway, sorry to ramble a bit, so how new player friendly is DoK? Thanks for y'all's time and helping a new AoS player.

11 hours ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

Good morning my fellow AoSers,

With the lumineth realm lords I am planning my re-entry into the hobby. My wife has also peaked a bit of interest into the modeling and painting and with that some possible interest into learning how to play the game rather than just hobbying with me, as she enjoys painting plaster houses I feel she will at least enjoy the assembly and painting portion of the game. We have discussed what aesthetics would draw her into an army to paint, and she has disclosed to me that she would be more interested in painting an army that is a bit more sleek and feminine, not so bulky and man-ish. DoK is the one army that came to mind, as it is almost entirely comprised of female units. Hell even the masculine units in the army do look more feminine and I don't think would be that much of a stretch for me to convert to being female. 

I have a lot of experience with Warhammer 40k, and a decent amount of experience with the older WHFB but have never played AoS, not even with my old vampire counts model when they originally did the switch over. I cut my teeth in 40k with Eldar, and played a melee army when they were bad at melee in 3rd edition. Everyone told me I was playing them wrong, and I wasn't ever going to win, and with enough time and losses I figured out how to make a good aspect wind army that would actually preform well on the table top. I have no issues with loosing and struggling to learn a tougher army. I have no issue rolling DoK into a second side army (especially if my wife is still painting and modeling them) if my wife doesn't care for the game as a whole.

This leads me to my question for y'all. Is DoK a good army for someone new to the hobby to play? I dont think she needs the most powerful army on the block (not that I have any knowledge of which armies rank where in AoS), However is it pretty easy to understand and fun for a beginner to play and not going to be an uphill battle for her? I know the most important part of this hobby is do you like the look of and feel of your army. We wont be showing up at tournaments, it will be casual play more than likely between myself and her at our FLGS. it will also probably be the army I use to teach any of my other friends who might be interested in playing the game and I dont want to be setting them up for a confusing or bad start in a demo. Most people generally dont enjoy being face stomped in a demo lol! But anyway, sorry to ramble a bit, so how new player friendly is DoK? Thanks for y'all's time and helping a new AoS player.

Yes and No.

DoK was my first (and still only) AoS army

reasons I would say yes and no are:

Yes: 
A: With witch brew, we can make our important units immune to battle shock. This, mixed with having a good armour (4+ with shields and cauldron buff) and good feel no pain ward save (5++ if Hag narr, rerolling if blessing of khaine is on that unit) makes dok a very very tough to move army. 

B: we dominate in combat vs most armies. Even if down to 1/4 of our army, it can still take out most non combat armies. We get rerolls of 1's from round 3 (all if hagg nar) and reroll to wounds with witch brew is fantastic. mixed with most our units have 2-3 attacks (sometimes 4) usually hitting on 3+ is amazing. However, combat is all we really have....see below

C :  Mindrazor is a wonderful spell. even just at ren -1 its great, but add in the +1 damage vs lover bravery models then it can be fantastic 

D : We are fast. Sisters of slaughter and witch aelves all run and charge, and snakes are mv8

E: our bravery is pretty high. average is around 7 - 9 

F: There are not a huge number of DOK at events atm, which means a lot of people are not taking armies to take us out like they might be with OBR/DOT/Slaanesh

No:

1: We are an expensive army. Our battle line is one of the most expensive in the game and most armies run 30-70 of them.

2: We need our heroes. Without the buffs and support items, we lose a lot of our effectiveness

3: We have combat and movement....but thats about it. We have very few shooting units worth taking, and most the time you dont as our combat units are far better. Also, you usually only have 1 caster, and they pack mindrazor. So get used to losing the magic and shooting side of the game. (this can be mitigated with support from other armies, but they dont get our DOK special rules which are great)

4: At this time we dont have any unique endless spells or scenery. We are a 1st time book so should have an update in 2020 or 2021. Hopefully updating Blood Stalkers, who are probably our worst unit.

Anyway, just my two cents. I am loving them personally

• Like 1

Thanks, @chumphammer,

I am thinking that we will probably be doing smaller armies like somewhere in the 500-800 point range to be starting, not sure if that is a good enough amount to get in a good number of units. I dont want to buy in to any army and have 90 models to paint including one or two center pieces. and I think that would probably just scare my wife away as a start painting and see if you like it. on the bright side it sounds like it would be a pretty decent army for me if she doesnt care for the game or like the army. I appreciate the candid response though! 

2 hours ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

Thanks, @chumphammer,

I am thinking that we will probably be doing smaller armies like somewhere in the 500-800 point range to be starting, not sure if that is a good enough amount to get in a good number of units. I dont want to buy in to any army and have 90 models to paint including one or two center pieces. and I think that would probably just scare my wife away as a start painting and see if you like it. on the bright side it sounds like it would be a pretty decent army for me if she doesnt care for the game or like the army. I appreciate the candid response though! 

We are a very strong army, even for a new player. We do tend to run quite a few models because our basic troops are so strong, but our elite units of harpies and snakes can be included to cut down on the total number of models you have to paint. Bonus is they are decently strong units in their own right and the better looking models in our line (if you ask me).

You'll also find that it is a very rare army. Definitely one of the least run factions. I play someone who has never played against daughters before at most of the 2 day tournaments I go to. So there should be a uniqueness factor to them as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr2spyderguy said:

Thanks, @chumphammer,

I just had a 500pts introduction game where I brought:

Slaughter queen, 10 sisters of slaughter, avatar of Khaine and 5 khinerai heartrenders

it was super fun and easy to understand. The most tricky part is the allegiance abilities. Because those stack on top of learning a new game. But with tool like AoS reminders that is not a big problem either. Next introduction game I would play it without the allegiance abilities and add them game 2.*

What I played then was:

- super clear. ‘Those girls have whips, so they can attack from farther’, ‘those have wings and javelins, so their fast and shoot’, ‘that statue has a big ass sword, it wrecks face’

- has fun tools in the army. You have something to do in the hero phase with praying. You have something tricky to do with the Decent to Battle rule. 

- the synergy is clear. The statue only moves if you pray for it to move until turn 3. The sisters of slaughter fight harder if their queen is in shouting distance. 

But the big thing is, IMO, you spend more time on the hobby side of things. So if she’ll enjoy painting and modelling this army than unless she wants to win a grand tournament... choose the army she’ll enjoy the hobby off. 

only downside to the army is the cost of the witch elves & if you play bigger games the rules do stack a lot. I find it tricky to get everything in range and remember all those things. But most armies have that. 

* but it was against stormcast and they lose all cool stuff without those abilities. So we did play the allegiance abilities from the start. 

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

I just had a 500pts introduction game where I brought:

Slaughter queen, 10 sisters of slaughter, avatar of Khaine and 5 khinerai heartrenders

it was super fun and easy to understand. The most tricky part is the allegiance abilities. Because those stack on top of learning a new game. But with tool like AoS reminders that is not a big problem either. Next introduction game I would play it without the allegiance abilities and add them game 2.*

What I played then was:

- super clear. ‘Those girls have whips, so they can attack from farther’, ‘those have wings and javelins, so their fast and shoot’, ‘that statue has a big ass sword, it wrecks face’

- has fun tools in the army. You have something to do in the hero phase with praying. You have something tricky to do with the Decent to Battle rule. 

- the synergy is clear. The statue only moves if you pray for it to move until turn 3. The sisters of slaughter fight harder if their queen is in shouting distance. 

But the big thing is, IMO, you spend more time on the hobby side of things. So if she’ll enjoy painting and modelling this army than unless she wants to win a grand tournament... choose the army she’ll enjoy the hobby off. 

only downside to the army is the cost of the witch elves & if you play bigger games the rules do stack a lot. I find it tricky to get everything in range and remember all those things. But most armies have that. 

* but it was against stormcast and they lose all cool stuff without those abilities. So we did play the allegiance abilities from the start. 

Thanks Kramer, I agree that modeling and painting is by far the largest part about this army. i just didnt want her to start an army she enjoys painting but then is completely turned off form the game not cause she dislikes the game but how the army plays and possible confusion by the army. It sounds though like if she decides she likes the aesthetic of this army it should be fine in play and may get better in a year or two when a new battle tomb drops. I appreciate all the info from everyone!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:23 AM, Ser_namron said:

Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
Hag Queen (90)
20 x Blood Sisters (480)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
5 x Khinerai Lifetakers heartrenders (90)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1480 / 1500

So i didnt like my lack of bodies in this first list, and i sorely missed the Slaughter queen CA. I couldnt find room for the Blood sisters which is the only thing im a bit worried about since i know ill be facing some OBR and im not sure how im going to handle them without -2 from a mindrazor'd Melusai. I think this list is a bit stronger against most everything else. More bodies, Blood orgy, extra command point. 

- General
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
Hag Queen (90)
Hag Queen (90)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)