AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

5 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Are you limited to these models?

If yes, I would do a unit of 30 and a unit of 10. 

A lot of DOK infantry is cheaper at max size, so at 30 models you save 60pts.

Doomfire warlocks are "meh". Their shooting attack is only 10 inches, and they are 160pts.

Yeah, they can do a 6 mortal wound spell, but lose 1 model it goes down to D6....

I would rather run 2 x 5 and get two choices of DOK spell, as well as they need to kill 1 from each unit to lose the D6 - D3.

I would always take mindrazor. it is the best spell we have, even if just for the Rend-1

So you could go:

SQ: 100
HQ: 90
30 SOS: 300
10 SoS: 100
5 Warlocks: 160
5 warlocks: 160

Leaves you with 910pts so could get a unit of heartrenders

Now, if you are not limited by models, I would drop the warlocks and the SQ on foot.

Cauldron of blood is amazing for what it does, so could get that for  your general and hag. The avatar on it helps your damage/rend, and gives you the bravery increase and armour save, great with the SOS shields

Id then have a medusa with Shadow Stone. +1 to cast and reroll 1s is really useful to get mindrazor off. Her shooting attack is also pretty good also.

Hag queen on Cauldron of Blood - 300
Blessing of khaine, General

Blood Wrack Medusa - 140
Mindrazor, Shadow Stone

30 Sisters of Slaughter (Shields) - 300 
10 Witch Aelves (Knives) - 120

This is a total of 860pts.

for the last 140, you could take Some life takers of heart renders, both can be useful, and a command point or endless spell.

Or whatever else you might desire to support your forces (maybe even 5 Blood sisters for combat power)

Thanks for the advice. I'm not limited to anything, I'm still studying it to see if I'll like it, so no purchases yet. I hesitated for the 30+10 yeah you're right. And I see your point about the Warlocks, it's true they're expensive, I just like the somewhat reliable MW output coupled with the speed. 

Yeah I like the Khinerai and snake girls too, I'll be sure to grab me some in the future too. 

Yeah I was worried that a Cauldron would cost too much, but by dropping the Warlocks there's suddenly 320 pts free.

6 minutes ago, Aaranis said:

Ah thanks I see, so you can just move them for example 5" from an enemy unit in the movement phase, and still activate in the combat phase that way ? Then yeah I see how powerful that can be. No Fyreslayers fight first for example, as they're not in range to activate, and so on. Coupled with the speed of rerolling 1s to Run it's quite a threat distance without getting exposed. 

So you'd have to combo, like, I have one unit of WE charging the enemy unit, with my Sisters near behind. I activate the WE, the enemy unit activates and can only hit the Sisters, then I pile-in 6" and attack with my Sisters. I love these kind of things in AoS ! This army gets more interesting the more I look at it.

Oh it's a huge threat range. You can guarantee 18" if you use a command point to run an auto 6 inches. That kind of range allows us to pose a legitimate turn 1 threat without heavily investing in any extra units for gimmicks. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone run two shrines in their lists?

I started building a battleforce box of DoK I bought last year (yeah I know, my pile of shame is huge...) and I'm kinda dreading building the shrine since I know I have to paint it in subassemblies before I can put the whole thing together. And that isn't something I want to put on my backlog right now. I painted and magnetized my first shrine real nice. So the shrine of the battleforce would be a second. So I'm kinda considering just not building it. 

8 hours ago, Kaio said:

I started building a battleforce box of DoK I bought last year (yeah I know, my pile of shame is huge...) and I'm kinda dreading building the shrine since I know I have to paint it in subassemblies before I can put the whole thing together. And that isn't something I want to put on my backlog right now. I painted and magnetized my first shrine real nice. So the shrine of the battleforce would be a second. So I'm kinda considering just not building it. 

I am about to try one with Bloodshrine and Haq queen cauldron so will let you know how i goes

1 minute ago, Mark Williams said:

I'd like to have one of each eventually just for options in list building.

Well as I said I magnetized the first so I can run it as any variant. So the only question is - do I need to be able to field two at once? 2 Shrines are like 600 points already, that's quite the chunk out of the points budget.

19 hours ago, Kaio said:

Well as I said I magnetized the first so I can run it as any variant. So the only question is - do I need to be able to field two at once? 2 Shrines are like 600 points already, that's quite the chunk out of the points budget.

Assuming if you are referring to Bloodwrack Shrine and not Cauldron of Blood, running twin Shrines is just around 400+ pts.

Honestly, putting a Medusae on a Shrine is a very cost efficient upgrade for increased survivability and a sprinkle of mortal wounds. But I feel they don't really hit hard and fulfils more of a supporting role. Think of it as an insurance against assassinations and tactical distraction. I have seen opponents committing 500+pts just to hunt down a Shrine... 

Running 2 Shrines don't really do anything. Having a Shrine and Cauldron of Blood is good but Morathi is just better in the current meta.

Hi all,

short question: What about the half-snakes of Daughters of Khaine? I like the models and the fact that you can build an army with these as battleline is really interesting, though I´ve never seen anyone playing them nor did I see a tournament list in which the snake–ladies appear.

Therefore:

1) Are they any good?

2) What about an army consting of these snake-ladies? Is it well suited to be played in casual games and local store tournaments?

Thanks in advance

HTG

6 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

short question: What about the half-snakes of Daughters of Khaine? I like the models and the fact that you can build an army with these as battleline is really interesting, though I´ve never seen anyone playing them nor did I see a tournament list in which the snake–ladies appear.

Therefore:

1) Are they any good?

2) What about an army consting of these snake-ladies? Is it well suited to be played in casual games and local store tournaments?

Thanks in advance

HTG

Blood Sisters, the polearm-weilding snakes, are fantastic. Fast with two wounds and three attacks base, with okay mortal wound output they are my favorite unit. I frequently use two units of 20 with a Bloodwrack Medusa as my general to make the Blood Sisters battleline.

Sadly Blood Stalkers, the archer snakes, are rather lackluster. Which is a shame because I love the models. They are also a 280 pt tax to take if you want to run the Temple Nest battalion.

Blood Sisters are fairly competitive, being slightly faster and more durable than Witch Elves, while Witch Elves have the sheer volume of attacks. Blood Sisters with Hagg Nar rerolls, Devoted Disciples Aura, and Witchbrew are absolutely deadly. And you can still add a prayer or spell buff on top of that.

However, they can still have a tough time when they hit a brick wall unit like Hearthguard Berserkers or high damage units like Ironguts or trolls.

I have done fairly well in the few tournaments I have played in with the Temple Nest Battalion and my gaming club plays competitively fairly often. I highly recommended the snake ladies.

Edited by DJMoose
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Hi all,

Therefore:

1) Are they any good?

Thanks in advance

HTG

I've run a unit of 20 blood sisters as my 3rd battleline in every army I've run at tournaments. I came 5th of about 100 at nova and 3rd of 70 at da boyz this year.  They and morathi are what drew me to collect daughters. I really like them as a way to get a good amount of rend without relying on mindrazor and their mortal wound output is quite nice. 

I've been having difficulty with my daughters being a bit too much for my regular opponents to handle. I'm looking at expanding my collection to include more snakes so I can run an all snake army for more casual play and one day tournaments. An all snake army wont likely be winning a 2 day event, but it is certainly strong enough to compete at local level events.

Double Cauldron doesn't really offer much bar being able to have more board control with the +1 bravery and +1 AS (shame they don't stack) 

I like the idea of the Blood shrine atm. Being able to push my medusa forwards without the 6 wound worry is good and means I can get her shooting attack into range more, plus the shrines own ability. having a 4+/5++ with the Cauldron means its pretty survivable, and the extra attacks on it makes it a good unit support if needed

I tried blood stalkers, and they are ok I guess, but we have some much better options. They just need a tweek to either have 2 shots or something.

Blood Sisters on the other hand are just my fav unit atm.

480 for 20 models. In a Hag Narr list they are so tanky and hitty.

thats 3 attacks each, hitting on 3+ (with rerolls turn 3), wounding on 3+ (rerolling with witch brew), at Rend -1 (-2 with Mindrazor) for 1 damage (2 with MR if LD is higher, and since you keep it near the cauldron they are Bra 9)

Plus the mortal wound attack. then they have 2 wounds each with 4+/5++ (near cauldron/general)

Throw on Blessing of Khaine and Catachism, these ladies are just brutal

8 Inch move means they are fast too. 

33 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Are they worth it in a unit of 10 chaps?

The blood sisters? sure. I think 10 for 280pts is a fine support unit for units of 30 SOS/WE

Blood stalkers, no. its 280pts for 10 shots. For 60pts less you can have 20 Shadowarriors which are so much better.

If Blood Stalkers could be core, same as blood sisters, with a Medusa, and maybe 120pts for 5, or increased shots if stationary, then sure

Hopefully 2020 Sees DoK update with Endless spells, faction terrain and some rules tweeks

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies concerning Blood Sisters!

If I´d like to include one of the "horde" units of Daughters of Khaine, what should it be? Witch Elves or Sisters of Slaughter?

And one more question: I can hardly decide between Blood Sisters and Gloomspite Troggoths. I like both model ranges and both are rather elitish with some interesting support units. What would you choose and why?

5 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

Thanks for all the replies concerning Blood Sisters!

If I´d like to include one of the "horde" units of Daughters of Khaine, what should it be? Witch Elves or Sisters of Slaughter?

And one more question: I can hardly decide between Blood Sisters and Gloomspite Troggoths. I like both model ranges and both are rather elitish with some interesting support units. What would you choose and why?

1: Depends what you like really. Both units are great. Depends if you want more attacks over 6" pile in and reach 2. 30 of both is a great unit.

2: It depends really, if you want to be competitive, Daughters of khaine. Gloomspite gitz are a good army, but just Troggoths are a tough army to play as you dont have many units. they hit hard, but just seem to be lacking really. DOK virtually all your range is great (bar Stalkers which are meh) so have a great choice.

Both are probably going to be costly though in terms of money. DOK battleline is not cheap

Busted out the DOK for the first time in a minute to face off some Petrifax OBR

Morathi- mindrazor
SQ on cauldron- General/blessing of khaine/iron circlet
hag queen

30x witch aelves
10 witch aelves
10 witch aelves
All with bucklers

GOTREK

Pallisade

1990/2000

battle plane - total commitment ( i think) its like knife to the heart but split horizontally on the board. 

Long drawn out match, but with Morathi sniping leaders ( we rolled for realms and got Hyish, which is dirty good against OBR) The 1st spell is straight d6 mortals to death units, and the black horror was rolling hot so i ended up dealing D6 with it almost every time.  Kept the witchs and the cauldron near the front of my deployment and screening morathi and the hag and the cauldron, and i sent Gotrek forward with a unit of 10 witch aelves. 

Pretty much Gotrek is a god when you're rolling hot, i cleaved through an entire unit of mortek gaurd, got inititive and rolled his harvester and some bone caster. 

Witchs held their own against the stalkers, but without mindrazor on them its pretty tough going. his liege kavalos soaked 3 rounds of combat from a unit of 30 of them. the kavalos was rolling 2+/6+ for saves, so it took a minute to whittle em down, but it wasnt all that killy either and only got 7 witches. Mortek Gaurd are just fuckign nutty on the defense, bring rend or be sad. 

having 1k points in 2 models is goofy as hell, but its also mad fun lol. I dont think its a great list, but they have 2 major threats tot ake care of and the witches are their to catch em off guard with a quick mindrazor/catechism blender. Also SQ command ability is a nice cherry on top. 

On 12/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, Kaio said:

This is my 5 drop DG, 2 "shrine" (shrine + cauldron) list.

-------------------
Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine

Mortal Realm: Ghur - Temple: Draichi Ganeth

LEADERS
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)  - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)  Artefact :  Gryph-feather Charm -  Lore of Shadows : Steed of Shadows
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood - General - Command Trait : Terrifying Beauty  - Artefact :  The Darksword  - Prayer : Catechism of Murder (+battalion)
Hag Queen (90)  - Prayer : Crimson Rejuvenation
Hag Queen (90)  - Prayer : Sacrament of Blood

UNITS (all battalion)
10 x Sisters of Slaughter (120) Bucklers
10 x Sisters of Slaughter (120) Bucklers
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
10 x Witch Aelves (120) Paired
10 x Witch Aelves (120) Paired

BATTALIONS
Slaughter Troupe (130)

TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 92
LEADERS: 5/6    BATTLELINES: 4 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 2/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 0/400

----

* Could be better with 30 SoS + 1x 10 SoS +1x 10 WE's -1x HAG (but I don't have them that many). Becomes 4 drop, 30 points left (Swords/Prismatic...)

* 1 Hag can be changed for +5 Khinerai to lower drops further (either to 4 or to 3, but I only have 10 so never tried and I like 2 hags atm)

* SQ can take Mistress of Poisons making her explode almost everything she touches without Mindrazor (with exception of one Dwarf). Take it if you're confident you can make SQ charge and Morathi + Shrine will hold that long. There's option to take True Believer and get +2 total on Blood Rites combined with Sacrament (which makes her "Level3" in Turn1... Activated Avatar, Reroll 1s to hit). I prefer -1 Hit tho as it makes games more even I feel and with some hope if you get Double Turned.

* Shrine can take Shadow Stone or if you wish for some reason T1 28" combat range Shrine those Gyrhopian? Gauntlets that give 6" pilein range (16 steed+6 run cp+6 pilein...) which is I guess funny for 6" move model by default. I prefer Charm so Shrine stays alive more than not and get Aura off at-least once.

* SQ's command gets used!

---

T1 Morathi transform forward (block her in other directions) - fly and charge - 18" no problem. Don't do this if you know you're giving T1 priority away and know that opponent can reach her*. -2 shooting vs her tho (watchout + her oracle model ability).

Shrine fly up to 17" (16+1 with charm) Stare nicely at 20-40 of something. And Charge a flank or just stand close behind Morathi.

Morathi stare closest dude to extend pilein or some bravery banner in unit that Medusa stared.

Rest of army run up, have cauldron sheltered (should be easy with 4x 10 girls).

Use Khinerai  only if they can absolutely help / block or score objective that girls couldn't and you're sure its worth it. Otherwise keep them in air.

T2 Plans depend on situation.

But generally. Drop SQ's command on Morathi and Shrine (and/or especially Cauldron if it got into combat somehow)

Morathi does her Tarpit job.

Medusa drops Agony and does rest of her staring/casting/charging.

Remember to RETREAT with Battalion units if they were somehow engaged. Will give your Cauldron "another" D3MW on charge.

SQ drops her hammer and Buckler SoS join to block things (abuse run/charge + 6" pilein to get to backlines, damage dealers, shooters, etc..).

Drop Khinerai... or don't :)

T3 If you're here Morathi is dead or maybe somehow on last 1-3 hp, Shrine is likely dead (I had it survive sometimes due d3 heal if Cauldron didn't need it), Cauldron could be alive (use CA, dooh), SoS dead or limping. If things and turns went more or less normally.

Double turns can shift things dramatically due glass cannon nature of army (you could be basically dead or opponent is T2...)

So what's left is to WitchBrew those WE's you held back and enjoy 2+/reroll 1 to hit  + re-roll wounds. Drop 2x 40 blade cuts into (dwarf) things and drop Khinerai on objectives. Remember to Retreat towards objectives and Charge after...  /shrug
----
Special consideration with DraichiGaneth is Medusa General and Snakes as 3rd(1st) battleline. It increases drop count by 1 and you loose SQ's CA which really works here, but snakes with +1 hit on charge do MW on 3+. I only have 5 snakes so never tried this.

Edited by Sapca

10 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Blood Stalkers down to 120 this December FAQ , Avatar of Khaine to 140. 

Temple Nest lists might be viable now 

Edit : Added Source, hope you can read Japanese :) 

bloodstalkers.jpeg.8379de241ae3b1b51c7914b4d38337cb.jpeg

Even at 120 they are pretty meh still. Dont think they will see play much. 

Avatar 180 - 140 is interesting but still I dont think I will take it

1 hour ago, Graywater said:

These changes are fine. I'm not currently taking either of these units and I dont plan to with their new points. Most importantly for me with this faq is that our other units DIDN'T go up in points like I figured some would. So my go to list remains unchanged.

you on the 30 WE, 30 Sisters, 10 sisters slaughter troupe?

The points changes on under-used units aren't unwelcome, but it's still basically a choice between an Avatar or a Medusa, or Blood Stalkers over 10 more infantry bodies.  But still, at 140 I'll toss an Avatar into a for funsies list, it's an entertaining piece in that sort of format.