AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 3/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, InSaint said:

I personally think one more Battleforce is a great addition. This will give you;

• 1 more cauldron kit to turn into a Bloodwrack Shrine which is an amazing spell-caster with plenty of mortal wounding capability
  • 2 more 5x Khinerai Heartrenders. 4x5 of them will provide fantastic board control, objective grabber and possible lone character assassination 
  • 5 more Melusai to form a squad of 10 which is a great size to deal enough damage and remain relevant from casualties 
  • 10 more Witches, self-explanatory

And if you want to be ultra competitive, Witch Aelves are universally powerful and equally comparable to Melusai in terms of offensive capabilities unless facing high saves target (2/3+ re-rolls 1) due to the sheer amount of attacks with re-rolls hit and wounds. Currently, the most powerful temple is Hag Narr with the 5+ FNP. Combined with Blessing of Khaine prayer, your opponent will be facing 100+ wounds at 4+/5++ re-rolls if played correctly.

DoK is a higher Tier army than SCE Sacrosanct. 20 Evocators with Gavriel alpha-strike will almost nearly wipe out 30 Witch Aelves but the point cost does not equate out. Just remember to wrap up your cauldron  with Witches for 3" buffer to prevent him from harming your general.

Thank you very much, already bought a second Battleforce:)

@Tel

I run HaggNarr, I like Draichi Ganeth but only for alpha strike list I am working on. 

Loadouts were :

Witches - bucklers, Sisters of Slaughter - sacrificial knives

Slaughter Queen - Iron Circlet, Blessing of Khaine 

Hags - Sacrament of Blood, Catechism of Murder

Medusa - Shadow Stone, Mindrazor. 

4 hours ago, Selpharia said:

Does anyone have advice for painting a bunch of witch aelves quickly? They’re so small and spindly and fiddly.

There is an official tutorial at the Warhammer Community website.

I suggest painting in batches of 10 and alternating between other models to avoid insanity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valenae said:

Yesterday I lost in Gyran to undead army...

This time to Neferata.

This is fourth loss in a row.

Can you give me advice how to play against Legions of Nagash?

• Never play attrition against LoN, you will lose. Hit hard, score the objectives and move away if you are in danger.
  • Pace yourself to end the game on turn 3 or 4 within the allocated time-frame. 
  • Continuously threaten to try to snipe off his hero with Khinerais, Death is extremely hero-centric and this will force him to devote resources to bodyguard the heros.
  • Prioritize rending attacks against units that do not ignore rend.

Unfortunately DoK and LoN are on the same Tier so games are evenly matched so simple mistakes can easily cost you the game. You can't afford to rely on your fraction's ability to get away with mistakes. You need to remain persistent and meticulous with your game and wait for a mistake by your opponent to secure a victory.

51 minutes ago, SireScott said:

Hi all, can I check can you use the slaughter queens orgy of slaughter command ability in the enemy hero phase? I thought you couldn't but I can't see why from the scroll

No. If a command ability doesn't say when it can be used. It can only be used in your hero phase. As per the rulebook, under the hero phase rules. 

Hello. Got to the point of building my two battleforce boxes for my fledgling 1k list.

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Daughters of Khaine) [1000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Bloodwrack Medusa [140pts]: 4. Terrifying Beauty, 5. Mindrazor, 5. Thousand and One Dark Blessings, General

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood [300pts]

+ Battleline +

Blood Sisters [280pts]: 2x 5 Blood Sisters

Sisters of Slaughter [120pts]: 10 Sisters of Slaughter, Bladed Bucklers, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

Khinerai Heartrenders [80pts]: 5 Khinerai Heartrenders

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine: Khailebron

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

++ Total: [1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The Blood sisters are one unit of ten.

I obviously have the rest of the two battleforce boxes to draw on, plus ten Doomfire Warlocks, because who doesn't love bitter elf wizards on rat horses?

I was looking at this list as having a bit.of most things, while providing a base for other things. 

6 hours ago, Souleater said:

Hello. Got to the point of building my two battleforce boxes for my fledgling 1k list.

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Order - Daughters of Khaine) [1000pts] ++

+ Leader +

Bloodwrack Medusa [140pts]: 4. Terrifying Beauty, 5. Mindrazor, 5. Thousand and One Dark Blessings, General

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood [300pts]

+ Battleline +

Blood Sisters [280pts]: 2x 5 Blood Sisters

Sisters of Slaughter [120pts]: 10 Sisters of Slaughter, Bladed Bucklers, Hornblower, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine: Khailebron

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

++ Total: [1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

The Blood sisters are one unit of ten.

I obviously have the rest of the two battleforce boxes to draw on, plus ten Doomfire Warlocks, because who doesn't love bitter elf wizards on rat horses?

I was looking at this list as having a bit.of most things, while providing a base for other things. 

You might want to try this instead, it is more optimal.

• Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood
  • Hag Queen
  • 10 Witch Aelves
  • 10 Witch Aelves
  • 10 Blood Sisters
  • 5 Khinerai Heartrenders
  •  5 Khinerai Heartrenders
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of something random, was curious what people thought. 

If in the 2019 general's handbook/new DoK book (assumptions here), if the only change made to units was removing witchbrew from the hag, what would that do to the army? How much worse would they be?

I'm not 'worried' about this nor saying it's gonna happen, but I am curious how valuable the brew is, and what would happen if it were to be lost. 

1 hour ago, Bojigwe said:

I was thinking of something random, was curious what people thought. 

If in the 2019 general's handbook/new DoK book (assumptions here), if the only change made to units was removing witchbrew from the hag, what would that do to the army? How much worse would they be?

I'm not 'worried' about this nor saying it's gonna happen, but I am curious how valuable the brew is, and what would happen if it were to be lost. 

Witchbrew is super valuable, but not essential. Proper use of heroes and command points would take care of the Battleshock problem. It's just really nice to ignore Battleshock and reroll wounds. I honestly don't see it going away, considering we have to pay 60pts for the ability and the model can be killed, but there are other armies that get a terrain piece that grants immunity to Battleshock for free.

20 hours ago, DJMoose said:

Witchbrew is super valuable, but not essential. Proper use of heroes and command points would take care of the Battleshock problem. It's just really nice to ignore Battleshock and reroll wounds. I honestly don't see it going away, considering we have to pay 60pts for the ability and the model can be killed, but there are other armies that get a terrain piece that grants immunity to Battleshock for free.

Like you said, it's not going away. Hag Queen are gonna jump up 20-40 points and WE and SoS are gonna lose their horde bonuses, in all likelyhood.

If it did go away, that would be serious bad news bears. I don't actually give a ****** about the battleshock thing, losing reroll to wounds would wipe out WE and severely weaken SoS, on top of making taking hag queens a hard sell. The amount of damage you lose out on being forced to roll 4+ is exceptionally high. 

Without witchbrew, you'd be looking at less WE and SoS overall, with the remaining number being predominately SoS for their utility. You'd also see far more blood sisters and a shift away from prayers and towards more investment in spells.

Something hilarious to share. For the first time in forever I had to retreat my blob of 30 Witch Aelves from an Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix w Jade Diadem buffed up with an Archmage and other spell casters.

So essentially the Phoenix was on 3+ save (4+ to heal), 4+ to ignore and another 6+ to ignore. I can't kill it faster than it heals up from the sheer amount of saves.

When an seemingly unstoppable force meets an unmovable object. Pretty cool experience. 🤣

16 hours ago, InSaint said:

And DoK are in the top 10 at Adepticon! 😎

I briefly watched Game 4 and Game 5 finals, FEC vs DoK and Seraphon vs DoK respectively! Both DoK players had different lists.

You can see both lists here.

Both lists were Hagg Nar.  I must admit Hagg Nar is by far my favorite temple now, simply because it caters to having maxed out units better than Khaelibron does.  Well, and you know.  REROLLS. 

I know the topic of what temple is "best" has been beaten to death, but my question is what about the other temples when it comes to the competitive scene? 

What has worked and what has not worked? 

Recently I have been playing a Path to Glory campaign with my cousins and we have balanced the unit selections with points to make it a little more fair.  I must say it is fun to take something different without being required to take a temple command trait.  Draichi Ganeth is an interesting temple in that you are not required to take a command trait, only an artifact.  And if you do not take a Slaughter Queen, you are not required to take The Darksword, freeing up other options for your general.  In the Path to Glory campaign I have a Bloodwrack Medusa as my general, and let me tell you, Mistress of Poisons for a command trait is absolutely brutal!  And being able to choose the artifact you want and still getting the small benefit of the Draichi Ganeth army benefit is great.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DJMoose said:

Both lists were Hagg Nar.  I must admit Hagg Nar is by far my favorite temple now, simply because it caters to having maxed out units better than Khaelibron does.  Well, and you know.  REROLLS. 

I know the topic of what temple is "best" has been beaten to death, but my question is what about the other temples when it comes to the competitive scene? 

What has worked and what has not worked? 

Recently I have been playing a Path to Glory campaign with my cousins and we have balanced the unit selections with points to make it a little more fair.  I must say it is fun to take something different without being required to take a temple command trait.  Draichi Ganeth is an interesting temple in that you are not required to take a command trait, only an artifact.  And if you do not take a Slaughter Queen, you are not required to take The Darksword, freeing up other options for your general.  In the Path to Glory campaign I have a Bloodwrack Medusa as my general, and let me tell you, Mistress of Poisons for a command trait is absolutely brutal!  And being able to choose the artifact you want and still getting the small benefit of the Draichi Ganeth army benefit is great.

Khailebron Command Trait issue is that it has to be used at the start of the hero phase. This prevents us from throwing massive amount of buffs and turning on cogs before throwing a squad of Witches across the board to be used like Evocators + Gavriel combo. Penalty to hit in shooting phase is situation as well depending on your opponent's army composition. But this temple sure is fun with Morathi!

Draichi Ganeth is more reliable and potent. Strategy is to charge MSU Witches with double daggers or Slaughter Troupe Battalion to bounce from unit to unit. Coupled with the battalion,  it has good use at high level play when opponents are wise enough to deliberately clip the edge of a 30 Witch blob to minimize retaliation. This gives you the freedom to "retreat forward" and charge his back-line units securing objectives. 

Kraith is truly a YOLO temple when you roll the 6 to fight again. All fun and giggles. 

On 4/2/2019 at 12:36 AM, InSaint said:

Kraith is truly a YOLO temple when you roll the 6 to fight again. All fun and giggles. 

I find Kraith Cauldron Guard  to be the lowest viable drops we can work with and still utilize Hag Queens and efficient unit sizes. I have Morathi in there as well. For me and my scene, winning drops is very important as having Morathi cripped  turn 1 is very detrimental (Nurgle Deluge d3 , Stardrake Shooting d3,  Evocator Bomb, Hand of Dust, etc. ) So I've found Kraith Cauldron Guard to suite me quite well.

Edited by Jais

In general I have found going first beneficial for my Daughters, as we can get our buffs out and have a higher chance of going first on the second battleround. The Temple Nest, while an expensive point investment, has been pretty helpful when playing against small drop armies, as one or two Hag Queens can start to add up in drops. Basically what sucks about the Temple Nest is having to include 320pts of Blood Stalkers. They are just ok, but it is nice when they are able to finish off a unit or big creature.

Edited by DJMoose
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jais said:

I find Kraith Cauldron Guard  to be the lowest viable drops we can work with and still utilize Hag Queens and efficient unit sizes. I have Morathi in there as well. For me and my scene, winning drops is very important as having Morathi cripped  turn 1 is very detrimental (Nurgle Deluge d3 , Stardrake Shooting d3,  Evocator Bomb, Hand of Dust, etc. ) So I've found Kraith Cauldron Guard to suite me quite well.

I usually bubble wrap my Cauldron or Morathi with Witches to prevent alpha strike from taking them out. And have at least 1 CP to pass battleshock. 

• Like 1

Hi All,

I'm considering dusting off my DoK soon and bolstering my force somewhat as currently I only have:

3x Witch Hags
1x Hag Queen on cauldron
1x Bloodwrack Shrine
2x Avatar of Khaine
1x Bloodwrack medusa
Morathi

10x Witch Aelves (dual knife)
10x Sisters of Slaughter (Whip & shield)
10x Blood sisters
5x Doomfire warlocks

I really like the idea of going snake heavy rather than hordes of witches and my local meta is a mix of casual to casual-competetive. I think the toughest list I've seen in our group so far is Idoneth Eel based but with a leviodon and eidolan, so pretty tough but not super optimised. Anyway I know blood sisters are a good bet, I'm also thinking Khinarae with javelins for a fast flyer who can threaten backline heroes and maybe a unit of whip/knife sisters of slaughter to try out. I've considered looking into the temple nest batallion for the extra command point and relic but I'm unsure if it would be worth the blood stalker tax. That being said I do love the models for blood stalkers so may get some anyway, how terrible are they in more casual environments or can their alright melee stats and shooting make them nice for holding objectives?

I haven't really played DoK since AoS1 so no idea whether they've changed much or if people have found more fun playstyles besides mobbing witches or snakes with witch brew and mindrazor?

2 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Hi All,

I'm considering dusting off my DoK soon and bolstering my force somewhat as currently I only have:

3x Witch Hags
1x Hag Queen on cauldron
1x Bloodwrack Shrine
2x Avatar of Khaine
1x Bloodwrack medusa
Morathi

10x Witch Aelves (dual knife)
10x Sisters of Slaughter (Whip & shield)
10x Blood sisters
5x Doomfire warlocks

I really like the idea of going snake heavy rather than hordes of witches and my local meta is a mix of casual to casual-competetive. I think the toughest list I've seen in our group so far is Idoneth Eel based but with a leviodon and eidolan, so pretty tough but not super optimised. Anyway I know blood sisters are a good bet, I'm also thinking Khinarae with javelins for a fast flyer who can threaten backline heroes and maybe a unit of whip/knife sisters of slaughter to try out. I've considered looking into the temple nest batallion for the extra command point and relic but I'm unsure if it would be worth the blood stalker tax. That being said I do love the models for blood stalkers so may get some anyway, how terrible are they in more casual environments or can their alright melee stats and shooting make them nice for holding objectives?

I haven't really played DoK since AoS1 so no idea whether they've changed much or if people have found more fun playstyles besides mobbing witches or snakes with witch brew and mindrazor?

If I'm using the Temple Nest, the Blood Stalkers are great for holding back line objectives and threatening characters outside of Look Out Sir range. I love the models, so it is a shame they are not more competitive. Still, they do their job and have yet to cost me a game. It just sucks having to invest 450pts for the Temple Nest. Masses of snakes and Hag Queens works well for me. But I've been wanting to mess around with Khaelibron again, but that works a little better with smaller units so you can actually fit them outside of 9."

• Thanks 1

Salutations. So, I’m almost done with constructing my 1k list. It’s basically just a Temple Nest. 1 Medusa on a shrine, 2 blood sisters, 2 blood stalkers. I find the concept fun, don’t mind not being hyper competitive. 

Anyways, onto the reason for my posting. So, while thinking about my 2k list, I’m planning on adding 20 more spear snakes [as well as a few other support heroes]. Easy/cheap to purchase. And again, seems fun to me. Obviously 5 go to a new unit for battleline. I was originally looking at dumping all 15 into 1 unit, so I’d have a unit of 20, and 2 units of 5. But after doing the math, I realized I could afford to not get the max unit discount, so I can split it up to 15/10/5 or 10/10/10. I’m not sure which combination would be best, or rather what the pros and cons are of each setup. 

Thoughts? Apologies for the rambly post. 

Edit: oh, and I thought about playing a handful of games with each setup, but I’m building each unit with a few different themes for what bits and colors and such I’m going with, so I can’t really build them until I have the destribution figured out. Fortunately it won’t matter for a while, but I’d like to start thinking it over. 

Edited by Fyrm
  • Like 1