AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

36 minutes ago, DJMoose said:

The first issue I noticed is you gave your Bloodwrack the Rune of Ulgu with Mindrazor.  This is fine, but since you can only cast one spell per turn choose another spell as her normal Lore of Shadows spell. Selecting the same spell twice gets you nothing, since you can only attempt every spell once per turn.  Other than that it looks pretty good.  I have had a good experience using temple nest lists, and while you could always use more Hag Queens in my opinion, you have a pretty good all-round list.  If you can squeeze in another 70 points you could get 10 more Witches and max the unit out to 30.  Also if you ever feel like not using Morathi, add more Blood Sisters.  You could drop in 20 of them for the same price as Morathi.  Also, I think it is only 30 more points to upgrade to a Slaughter Queen on a Cauldron, which is totally worth it.

Thanks for advice. Incase of the rune. For some reason, I was thinking of a it gave you +1 to casting.  Maybe I'm getting mixed up with Idoneth traits and stuff.

Yeah on points, tragically if I remove the Heart renders I'm literally at 990, 10 points less I cou,d have 10 more Witches.  However 10 more Witches are quite expensive money wise.

Infact I did the maths for a starting 2000 points of DOK buying Morathi (Espically from a good retailer), is actually cheaper than buying models to fill in the 480 point gap. Weird. But yeah in furture I can mess about with lists more. Just hope Blood stalkers become better priced somwhen. Love the models though.

I did also have the idea of dropping Heart renders,  throwing in an endless spell and using spare points to make Slaughter Queen on the Cauldron. Maybe I could use the jaws, mostly becuase "nom, nom, nom" is funny, but the bravery debuff and Mindrazor could work nicely together.

1681961365_Screenshot_20181125-094524_SamsungInternet.jpg.70b42a0d2d592a9f0595ca420076831d.jpg

want to run a snake heavy list.

tempted to drop blessing of khaine for the dmg one when the models die.

but 6+ rerolling seems solid .

Think I have the mobility needed with command trait and heart renderers.

I know hag narr is super solid, but want to try something different.

Thoughts?

is Morathi a must have for this sort of list?

Hello Everyone,

Had a 16 player 3 rounds event yesterday. I went 2-1 with the list below;

Game 1 was vs Stormcast Gavreil drop - loss

Game 2 was vs Stormcast - Win

Game 3 was vs Daughters - Win

image.png.acf2dc8473714885b7a257c54435d3c3.png

If people want a quick battle report on the games I can write something up. Anyone know how to stop a gavriel charging in 2 ten man Evocator squads? I bubble  wrapped my the heroes but lost the 30 witches in one go along with all but 1 or 2 eels.

• Like 1

If witches (or sisters) are to receive an attack give them bucklers. They survive longer and the mortal wounds generated can tip the odds in their favour of at least doing more damage. Duel blades are great, but best when they get the charge and make the first attack (so they can cut down the enemy before they retaliate). At the very least any increased durability can shift them from being wiped out to holding the line; that would keep those 20 Evocators tangled up whilst your khinerai and others are free to leap upon objectives. 

So I’ve recently started my foray into the DoK, I’ve got all of this to build/paint not including the cauldron of blood and morathi. Think I’m going to struggle with Morathis wings though, what colour compliments a dark, dirty green on morathis body, I was thinking a dark reddish colour. 

4663C200-5C7B-4888-B0F5-9A1EF029A5E9.jpeg

• Like 1

@MADlikes bit a of a fan of snakes ? ;)

Note one tip, I've seen a few "how to paint" of snakes which have been done with the snakes half assembled - so snake body built and then painted and then upper body. One person even put a temp pin into the socket that the body would sit in and then didn't glue the snake body to the base first. That way they could easily move it around and paint the underside of the scales where the body lifts up from the ground. Once done they then glued it down and then glued in the upper body and painted away.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Overread said:

If witches (or sisters) are to receive an attack give them bucklers. They survive longer and the mortal wounds generated can tip the odds in their favour of at least doing more damage. Duel blades are great, but best when they get the charge and make the first attack (so they can cut down the enemy before they retaliate). At the very least any increased durability can shift them from being wiped out to holding the line; that would keep those 20 Evocators tangled up whilst your khinerai and others are free to leap upon objectives. 

Was a tournament so there was no idea if I'd be receiving a charge or not so bucklers weren't an option. My 2 sister squads did but didn't go for that screen.

23 hours ago, PUFNSTUF said:

Was a tournament so there was no idea if I'd be receiving a charge or not so bucklers weren't an option. My 2 sister squads did but didn't go for that screen.

It's all about deployment. You need to leave more than 3 inches between the screens and what you want to protect. That stops them charging and demolishing your screens, then chucking mortals over the screens (if they survive) into the units you don't want hit. 

6 minutes ago, quina2525 said:

It's all about deployment. You need to leave more than 3 inches between the screens and what you want to protect. That stops them charging and demolishing your screens, then chucking mortals over the screens (if they survive) into the units you don't want hit. 

True but note that you may need more than 3” if they just charge and wrap past the unit. I’ve had to space my units out as far back as 10-15” in order to avoid this situation.

9 minutes ago, Mark Williams said:

True but note that you may need more than 3” if they just charge and wrap past the unit. I’ve had to space my units out as far back as 10-15” in order to avoid this situation.

Yeah for sure. I meant if you have a large unit bubble wrapping board edge to board edge. Like in a corner. 

On 11/25/2018 at 7:33 PM, PUFNSTUF said:

Hello Everyone,

Had a 16 player 3 rounds event yesterday. I went 2-1 with the list below;

Game 1 was vs Stormcast Gavreil drop - loss

Game 2 was vs Stormcast - Win

Game 3 was vs Daughters - Win

image.png.acf2dc8473714885b7a257c54435d3c3.png

If people want a quick battle report on the games I can write something up. Anyone know how to stop a gavriel charging in 2 ten man Evocator squads? I bubble  wrapped my the heroes but lost the 30 witches in one go along with all but 1 or 2 eels.

Always! So yes please on the reports 

• Like 1

On to the battle report.

I will preface this by saying it’s been a few days so some details may be a bit mixed up, but I believe my opponents list are as accurate as can be from what I remember.

The event was a 3 round 16 player event. This was my first time playing DoK, having just finished adding some roman pillars to my heart renders the night before. This was also my 3rd day of ever playing AoS, so a lot of errors on my part were made (to the benefit of the opponents!). I will point out the rules I forgot as I go. I took a few pictures so I hope they help with the battle report explanation.

Mission 1 – Battle for the pass

Realm Shyish

Realmscape feature – eternal war

Mission 2 – Scorched Earth

Realm Aqshy

Realmscape feature – every step a league

Mission 3 – better part of valour

Realm ghyran

Realmscape feature – lifespring

Game 1 vs stormcast

Opponents list

Hammers of sigmar

Gavriel

Lord Arcanum – spell azyrite halo

Knight Vexilor – teleport banner

Lord Castellant

2 x 10 Evocators

20 sequitors

2 x 5 sequitors

thumbnail_IMG_20181124_112420.jpg.d489c8de2ecd4fe5806492a11755b22a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20181124_112424.jpg.8ebc76b041ea23ff41a5fc32c908e0eb.jpg

I chose to go second as I didn’t want to risk a double turn from the gavriel charge. This may have been a mistake since blessings of khaine on my witches might have helped. I deployed ringing my heroes so they couldn’t be taken out which at the time I thought was good. He deployed in a line facing me with gavriel and the two evo squads in the sky. Turn 1 he dropped down and charge both squads in, one into the witches, one into a couple witches and my eels. I lost all 30 elves and 2 or 3 eels. This is where I forgot the armor bonus from the cauldron, so was rolling saves on 6’s or no saves for the rend -1 attacks. :( He had advanced the rest of his stuff towards objectives. My attacks back didn’t do much, may have taken out one evocator (zero attacks back from witches since they were all dead). My turn I transformed morthi, buffed her with mindrazor and catechism. I send a 10 man SoS squad to the top objective with the hag and witchbrew on. The other sisters, cauldron, and eels went for the south evos, and morathi went into the 10 man evo squad. Morathi killed around half of them, and the eels used their ability and sisters took out around half of the other squad.

thumbnail_IMG_20181124_113010.jpg.60c285f7cb457218f23172b0db31145c.jpg

I can’t recall who went first second battle round, but I lost my eels and around half the sisters and finished the south evo squad. Morathi killed the evocators and charged his 20 man buffed sequitur squad. The hag to the top with 10 sisters took out one or two sequitors up top but then died. He got control of the south objective with his other 5 man sequitur squad after I tried to hold with my 2 heart render squads.then teleported them with the Vexilor onto my objective and got control of it. At the time I only had my cauldron moving 2” left to contest it and it would have died fast. Morathi did tie up the 20 man sequitur unit for 2 turns, killing 12 or so of them, but at that point most of my army was gone and I couldn’t keep up on objective points.

Final VP score was 28 to 15 I believe.

Things I forgot this round – plus 1 armor for cauldron, that hag and slaughter queen can pray twice, activating the avatar before turn 3… I somehow thought they could select an additional prayer but not pray twice…. Pretty sure I forgot the re-roll hits turn 3 as well. Come to think of it I think some elves did live to hit back because I forgot the plus 1 attack for being near a hero, and also forgot that I could spend a command point to not lose the rest to battleshock. Yup, this probably hurt me a lot but on to the next game! My opponent also felt bad because he said I rolled horribly most of the game.

Game 2 vs storm cast

This was against my buddy, I had played against him twice before (my only two previous times playing AoS, and I had used my maggotkin of nurgle)

Lord Arcanum on Gryph

Lord Ordinator

Knight Incantor

20 man sequitur

2 x 5 judicators – bows and skybolt

2 ballista

5 evocators

2 fulminators

Comet

thumbnail_IMG_20181124_145046.jpg.a7e01f32842d940c9eb03063d1d88325.jpg

Deployed in a huddle in the center with eels on the right, and a ten man sister squad on the left objective, with the second sister squad near to reinforce if needed. I gave opponent first turn. He moved up his army and landed a comet to hit my had, witches, and cauldron. Took 3 witches, 1 wound on the hag, and I believe zero on the cauldron. My turn 1 I buffed the witches, transformed morathi, and move everyone up. My eels were able to charge his sequitors and took out 8 or 9.

Round 2 I got the double turn. Left sisters camped the objective and sister squad 2 moved to get near them. Morathi charged into a ballista and my elves, buffed up charged his evocators and a judicator squad. Eels exploded, and with melee attacks took out another 7 or so sequitors. My witches killed 3 of 5 evocators and put some damage on the lord incantor, and killed 2 or 3 judicators. Morathi failed pretty hard and only put 4 wounds on the ballista. I had also dropped in both heartrender squads to attack and finish off his solo judicator squad holding another objective.

On his turn his Arcanum healed the ballista back to full. His fulminators moved up near my far left objective held by the sisters. Ballista put some wounds on Morathi, and a few witches died to the other ballista. Melee wise, The sequitors put down another eel (4 left at this point), then the rest died. More witches died but the rest of the evocators and Judicators died with another few wounds on the incantor. Morthai finished off the last ballista.

Round 3 I went first again, eels charged the lord Arcanum, morathi charged the last ballista, and elves finished off the incantor. My sisters I put within 6” of his fulminators so I could pile in when I wanted. I lost two more eels but killed the Arcanum, his fulminators killed both my Sister squads (killed 1 fulimator, put a wound or two on the other). Game ended with him only having 1 fulminator left and myself having lost half or so of my witches, 2 sister squads, and 4 eels.

VP’s were 20 to 5ish maybe?

During this game I also was not praying twice, and I even commented this game saying I thought witches got an extra attack from somewhere but I can’t see it… So I was only doing 3 attacks each instead of 4 again. I also forgot the reroll wounds from witchbrew..

Game 3 vs DoK

Opponent was very similar to my list

Morathi,

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron – blessing of Khaine, gryph feather charm

Hag – catechism

2 x 5 heartrender

30 witch elves

10 sisters of slaughter

Think another 20 witch elves?

20 melee snakes

Since the realmscape rule was lifespring, we both obviously chose Morathi to get the plus 1 wound. I went first, camped my 3 objectives, moved up my eels, dropped both squad of heart renders on the left side of his field to shoot his solo 10 man squad holding that objective, transformed morthi, buffed her to the hilt with everything but blessing of khaine that I put on my 30 man witches and used the realm spell to teleport her onto his right objective near his 10 or 20 witch elf squad. I got a turn 1 charge with my eels into his elves, and morathi charged the elves. I killed a good amount of elves and lost a few eels in response, morathI killed the whole witch elf squad, or at least the rest died to battleshock.

thumbnail_MVIMG_20181124_174405.jpg.551508f31a94883db8ea68646e0a9233.jpg

My heart renders had taken out a few of his 10 man squad on the left, but both had failed their 4+ 6” move, and then both failed to charge. I burned all 4 of my objectives leaving 2 on the board. I was hoping to get the 5th with my harpies moving in range to have burnt 5 turn 1, meaning he would have to camp his last one.

thumbnail_IMG_20181124_174403.jpg.9bc4d1aeb690ba0148bee74ffc223f1d.jpg

He attacked back and dropped his own harpies, killing off one squad, and the other down to 1. My eels died from a transoformed morathi casting bolt. He buffed his snakes and moved up with heroes and morathi.

Turn 2, he rolled a 2, I rolled a 1, so I got double turned. All I needed was to roll 2+ and game probably would have been over. He basically charged my cauldron, hag, 10 man SoS squad and witches with his morathi, cauldron, and 20 snakes. His 1 squad of harpies fell back to his middle objective with his remaining elves, and his other heartrender squad charged my last 10 SoS squad. His heartrenders died, I lost a lot of witches and most of my SoS in melee with morathi, my cauldron took some damage, and I took out some snakes and put some wounds on his cauldron. He burned his left most objective but kept his middle one. This put it at 4 – 2 in my favor.

thumbnail_IMG_20181124_183826.jpg.841dcd978c4091fb5017a7b9f13e8bf4.jpg

My turn I ran my remaining SoS squad that had killed the heartrenders towards his middle objective. Morathi I teleported again and charged his remaining witches and harpies so that I locked both in melee. I tried to do my tail attack into the harpies, rest into the witches. Tail whiffed, but I killed 5 or so witches. My opponent then went on to continue the combat to the south with the rest of units engage in melee in a big clump, but I said with only 7 or so minutes left in time, what only mattered was who got to go first next turn. If he did, he wins, burns the objective and puts it to 5 -4 in his favor. If I win, I’d need to kill all his guys in order to gain control of it (5 harpies, 7-10 witches).

Round 3 – we roll off and I win the roll! I was able to charge in my 7 remaining SoS that had ran towards the objective in the previous turn, and put all their attacks into the harpies, and all morathi’s into his witches. I was able to kill enough to gain control and burn the objective.

My win 5 VP to 2. My opponent said he played it wrong and should have burned both his making it 4-4 and had it come down to kill points. This is the game that I was able to learn the +1 attack on my witches, and activating the avatar (which I failed to do turn 1 since I went first, when my opponent went on his turn one and activated his I said “wait you can do it? Aww man…”) haha.

I ended up finishing 5th overall with using the army for the first time and not too experienced in AOS I was very happy with.

Maggotkin took 1st with a 3-0, and the stormcast player I played first also went 3-0 and took second.

Total armies represented were

3 stormcast

2 Daughters

2 Maggotkin

1 Legion of nagash

1 Legion of Azgorh

1 Sylvaneth

1 Nighthaunth

1 Beasts of Chaos

1 Clan Skyre

1 Bretonnia

1 Beastclaw Raiders

1 Disciples of Tzeentch

It was a pretty diverse group! I hope you enjoyed the read and could laugh at my mistakes.

• Thanks 1

I want to start with a DoK army soon, using the Battleforce as a solid basis. 

Now I am having some very noobish questions:

When I play a Cauldron with whatever Queen on top, does the Avatar come (pointwise) for free?

I understand that he is activated by a Queen praying to Khaine, but when he comes "alive" can it move independently from the Cauldron?

What happens to the Avatar if the Cauldron dies while he is activated/not activated?

Perhaps there are even more things but this is the stuff that Comes to my mind right now.

Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, Craze said:

When I play a Cauldron with whatever Queen on top, does the Avatar come (pointwise) for free?

I understand that he is activated by a Queen praying to Khaine, but when he comes "alive" can it move independently from the Cauldron?

What happens to the Avatar if the Cauldron dies while he is activated/not activated?

Perhaps there are even more things but this is the stuff that Comes to my mind right now.

Thanks for any help!

Yea the Avatars for free mate, 
Once the Cauldron is gone so is the Avatar.

Ps the Avatar is a beat stick and you can't use the blood shooting attack unless he's animated.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craze said:

Thanks for any help!

1. Yes avatar is included

2. When you pray it comes alive but it’s still part of the model. So it goes where the cauldron goes. Also remember that at turn three it gets automatically activated (check the allegiance abilities) 

3. If the on foot one is killed just remove it. Your opponent can target it even if it’s inactive. The cauldron avatar is included it in the wounds. So the whole model lives or dies as one. 

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

It's best to think of the avatar on the cauldron as just part of the cauldron itself. It requires animating like its footed version, but has the bonus that it can be moved around without requiring activation because its on teh cauldron. Thus you get the best of both worlds, esp since the cauldron wants to keep up with the infantry and close combat units and comes with its own queen to ensure that the avatar can have a prayer cast when required. 

Of course the downside is a cauldron is more expensive to buy, takes more space up on the table top and has other duties outside of the avatar. So avatars on their own still have a place in the army. 

• Thanks 1

Hello all, I'm going to make a dive into DoK and have some questions on what to assemble.
So I'm getting 2 battleforce boxes, have one new box of sisters/witches that I'm planning on building to get started before the boxes arrive and then 20 old witch aelves (metal super ugly ones)
so I'm thinking about making 20 sisters of slaughter and 10 more witches to be able to do either battalion.
10 blood sisters (I don't think the ranged snake ladies seems as worth as the melee ones)
10 of each of the heartrenders and life takers (should allow both of the battalions)
and for the cauldrons I'm thinking of magnetizing both of them to have full freedom between the different options.

But am I missing something or would you put together the battleforce box differently and in that case why?

Katz honestly that sounds good. Some might suggest making 20 of the spear carrying khinari as they are a bit more popular, but honestly both forms have their solid uses and 10 of each is a very good number to work with. 

Magnetic cauldrons are the way to go if you want variety for less cost, esp if you make it so that the queens can go on their own bases. That would easily let you put down two hag queens on foot; a slaughter queen on cauldron and then have two bloodwracks to either field alone or put one on a shrine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have have started DoK with two boxes of Blood Coven and  one  box of witch aelves. My current army consist of Bloodwrack Shrine + Cauldron of Blood + unit of 20  WA + unit of 10 WA and  all the extra heroes from both chariots.

The new battleforce box seems to be of great value, however considering what I already have I wonder if it is the best way to take my collection further.  What do you guys think ? 

The new battleforce box is great value, certainly.  You probably aren't going to want to run three cauldrons/shrines at once, but it will give you enough infantry heroes for most lists.  At least one squad of Heartrenders show up in pretty much every DoK list (and several other Order lists as allies to boot) so a squad of two of those will not go unwanted, and the Melusai Blood Sisters are a capable combat unit.  There's nothing in the battleforce which you can't make use of.

That said it might not be the most focused way to expand your forces, necessarily, depends what sort of lists you like to run really, but it's a nice chunk of useable options.

• Thanks 1

Agreed, plus even if you don't use hte cauldron you'll likely use the hagqueen and would have the option of running an avatar heavy army too. Plus the rest of the contents are totally usable in many armies and with the price discount you might as well get it as the cauldron is nearly free (basically any 1 type of things in that box is basically free if you want the rest, so might as well get it all!)

Heck what I've got right now is basically the contents of two boxies plus more witch aelves. I'm even tempted to get the box! I want more witches, I want more snakes; I really love khinari so I can't turn my nose up at them and another cauldron is good to have around! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your help,  I have no idea in which direction I want to take this army yet  but I am glad to hear there is nothing unuseful in that box and as you did summerise it offers a lot of options which means I could try various lists until I  find out what I like to run most. I think I am going to give it a go with a couple of doomfire (Love the models!). Cheers.