AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

7 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

This. But if you've got an airbrush the skin is a bit easier. Smooth coats from an airbrush with pin-washing does a good job on the skin. Mind you if you don't have an airbrush it's a heck of an investment for one army :)

The most fragile stuff are the Khinerai.  It's all down to their tails being what connects them to the bases. I've kept them as GW intended but I've seen some good conversions that use scenery to add stability. You can see what Vince Venturella did here:

https://golden-demon.com/2018/07/04/bronze-age-of-sigmar-unit-age-of-sigmar-open-day/

Airbrush nice idea. I don't have one. And I live in a rented place, so Airbrushing is not good for me. Unless I can use it outside.  Though I collect Infinity as well and they recommend an airbrush so I will have multiple uses.

I like the idea with the Khinerai, I mad esomeStormcast Prosecutes and had the fragile issue, scenery weights would actually help. Thanks.

On 11/12/2018 at 4:32 AM, PUFNSTUF said:

Any use a PACK or battle foam bag with trays and magnets for transporting your army? What size bag or trays did you get?

I use Battlefoam 432 Magna Rack and magnetize the bases of my entire army. With the exception of Morathi, you should be able to comfortably store a 2000 pts DoK army. You will need to magnetize the Cauldron/Shrine as well.

Price wise, if you are going to play an expensive army, may as well fork out the money to invest in a proper storage solution. And seriously, I swear any of your wife/girlfriend luxury branded bag is definitely going cost more than that a Battlefoam 432 Magna Rack. ?

Edited by InSaint

26 minutes ago, InSaint said:

I use Battlefoam 432 Magna Rack and magnetize the bases of my entire army. With the exception of Morathi, you should be able to comfortably store a 2000 pts DoK army. You will need to magnetize the Cauldron/Shrine as well.

Price wise, if you are going to play an expensive army, may as well fork out the money to invest in a proper storage solution. And seriously, I swear any of your wife/girlfriend luxury branded bag is definitely going cost more than that a Battlefoam 432 Magna Rack. ?

Yea I currently have two battlefoam bags for other game systems, never down the rack with magnets before. I’ve already picked up my magnets and my shrine is magnetized! I do have morathi though.

Note that I've not actually purchased ANY of this yet (I feel bad for it because I did contact them and the customer sale person was very helpful in giving advice on what would and wouldn't work - though it helped that I did spend a little while working out how their system worked and thus had a rough idea what could work before contacting - time well spent), but this is what I'm considering making with KR Multifoam cases:

It should fit into one of their tall cases and then the Thrones into a smaller backpack case

6 Case system storage possibilities:

Case 1
4 foam 1/2 of 6 khinerai each = 24
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/V2H?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK

Case 2 
2 foam 2/3 of 10 melusai each = 20
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/D5H?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK
2 foam 1/4 of 20 aelves each = 40   36
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/SM57?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK

Case 3
2 foam 1/2 of 10 warlocks each - 20 warlocks
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/D2H?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK
1 foam 1/2 of 2 bloodwrack and 2 avatars
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/J2H?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK
1 foam 1/2 of 6 khinerai 
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/V2H?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK

Case 4
1 foam 2/3of 10 melusai each = 10
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/D5H?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK
1 foam 1/4 of 20 aelves - 20  18
https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/SM57?m=GW&s=WHAOS&a=GAODOK

4 foam of 20 aelves each = 80  72

Totals:
Khinerai = 30
Medusa   = 30
Warlocks = 20
aelves   = 140 (4 groups of 30 and 20 spare slots for command) or 126 with 6 spare slots
Bloodwrack= 2

Edit - the reps reply which I recall now did change a few of the ideas above and suggested a higher storage option for Khinerai which would let you fit even more into this case system. So do check out this advice too. 

For the Khinerai models, having had a closer look at them, I believe the pick and pluck D2H tray will be able to hold 10 of them, more than the V2H’s 6. The V2H was initially recommended as my initial impressions of the wingspan made them look rather wide, though having looked closer, I feel they are close in enough on the base to be able to fit in the D2H. As such in your first KRM, you could fit 40 of these models, which could free up space for another 2x SM57 to hold the further 20/34 troops you wanted to hold as well.

If your Cauldrons and Shrines have magnetised mirrors/characters and Avatars, then I believe you could fit 3 in one case, placing the magnetised extras into extra space.

We recommend the V1T+V3T for Morathi as she does have a rather expansive wingspan, and her spear and tail do jut from the base, even if she is lying flat or angled. There could be more stored along with her in the spare space for the V1T. An Alternative storage for her might be 2x D5T in a Clamshell, and in the bottom D5T, use the spare compartments to carry additional Khinerai or Melusai models.

REMEMBER I've not bought and actually tried this as yet. This is my intended plan (currently my money gets sidetracked into more models) 

Edited by Overread

@Souleater if you're going to magnetize wings that big remember to get some firm metal rods to pin them too. The metal pin (glued only to the wing part of course) gives a lot of strength and support and carries the weight, letting the magnet just do the job of holding the parts together. Otherwise parts that big can easily have enough force away from the magnet to pop of the join all the time. 

So here is a question for you all.  How much narrative do you like to put into your Daughters? 

I have really been wanting to name my Bloodwrack Medusa, as she is my general nearly all of the time, as well as name the Hag Queens that serve under her.  I guess that is part of the fun and the challenge with Daughters of Khaine being originally from Ulgu, as most of their shadowy home is unmapped.  Not to say that there are not other temples across the realms, as I am sure there are. 

But I heard it said once (I think by @Scythian ) that the Khaliebron Temple, being the most secretive and acting like a secret police of sorts for Morathi, will probably be the first temple to rebel against her.  I like the theory that, being a clandestine organization that gathers information from enemies within and without, perhaps they discover the smallest hints of Morathi's secret about Khaine.  Maybe one of the Medusas from the temple has the smallest remembrance of the Morathi of old, and perhaps begins to doubt her once fanatical loyalty to the High Oracle.  I like the idea of my Medusa starting to slowly build her own powerbase to start her own agenda separate from Morathi.

What do you all think?  What ideas for backgrounds do you have for your Daughters?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DJMoose said:

So here is a question for you all.  How much narrative do you like to put into your Daughters? 

I have really been wanting to name my Bloodwrack Medusa, as she is my general nearly all of the time, as well as name the Hag Queens that serve under her.  I guess that is part of the fun and the challenge with Daughters of Khaine being originally from Ulgu, as most of their shadowy home is unmapped.  Not to say that there are not other temples across the realms, as I am sure there are. 

But I heard it said once (I think by @Scythian ) that the Khaliebron Temple, being the most secretive and acting like a secret police of sorts for Morathi, will probably be the first temple to rebel against her.  I like the theory that, being a clandestine organization that gathers information from enemies within and without, perhaps they discover the smallest hints of Morathi's secret about Khaine.  Maybe one of the Medusas from the temple has the smallest remembrance of the Morathi of old, and perhaps begins to doubt her once fanatical loyalty to the High Oracle.  I like the idea of my Medusa starting to slowly build her own powerbase to start her own agenda separate from Morathi.

What do you all think?  What ideas for backgrounds do you have for your Daughters?

I’m planning on doing much the same, actually! I’m still debating which realm works best as their home base [mechanically doesn’t matter much as I’m using our items, so I don’t have to feel bad about crunch vs fluff], but I know I’m planning on finding snakes from each contenant for my Melusai units, and basing their “personalities” [read: how I plan to tactically use them] on that. So the hyper aggressive snakes would be the ones I throw into the thick of thingies, while more patient ones will generally be the ones I send off into tactical positions. Obviously if I need them to do otherwise, I will, but that’s just the Medusa ordering them to, not them doing them!

A Medusa could no more betray Morathi than a right lung betray the left. One bitten, a Medusa becomes part of Morathi’s soul. They are bound to her with unwavering loyalty much like a thrall to a master vampire. They are not part of her, they are her. I think the slaughter queens are much more likely to revolt against Morathi, but no melusai or Medusa even possess the free will to betray her. Once again, they are spiritually linked to her. A civil war between the Daughters would inevitably be between the witch elves and Morathi’s snake broods. 

2 hours ago, Scythian said:

A Medusa could no more betray Morathi than a right lung betray the left. One bitten, a Medusa becomes part of Morathi’s soul. They are bound to her with unwavering loyalty much like a thrall to a master vampire. They are not part of her, they are her. I think the slaughter queens are much more likely to revolt against Morathi, but no melusai or Medusa even possess the free will to betray her. Once again, they are spiritually linked to her. A civil war between the Daughters would inevitably be between the witch elves and Morathi’s snake broods. 

Unlessss... some outside magical force (maybe Teclis F’ing around or a stray encounter with a deepkin soul stealer or soul capturing nighthaunt*) breaks that bond for his medusa general. She is the first to see the world not influenced by morathi. She is bend on revenge but plays a dangerous game in the khalebron temple full of morathi’s most dangerous followers... 

Everything is possible and especially in such an open setting as AoS not much is limited regarding souls. They get stolen, released, tortured, used for substance, Sigmar ‘saves’ souls dedicated to the chaos gods, Nagash rips them from Sigmar, and we only have hints on what kind of crappy things the light and shadow elves are doing with them. (Or malekiths gambit with the Gladitorium, really excited about that one, no spoilers only hints about what to read please 😁)

the above set up could start the backstory that the Medusa misleads her army like Morathi does her people, claiming to follow morathi’s orders all the while searching for a way to break the bond off her sisters. Or maybe the medusa finds an hag queen ally who travelled and somewhere found out the truth about Khaine or figures out how to release medusa, melusai and Khinerai from their bonds and places them in functions of power (so every unit champion is turned) but every ‘release’ takes time and can fail, or maybe all that is easy once she knows the trick to breaking that bond so the whole army is faithful to her but the sheer faith of the witch elves in her army can’t be magically broken and she’s slowly working to chip away at that faith, all the while a slaughter queen in the army is getting suspicious... dum dum dum intrigue upon intrigue upon intrigue. And I could go on all day ;)  

*Especially if you can link it to a regular opponent @DJMoose

So my second Snake unit is done, I will have some more Lifetakers to be able to field 20 strong unit in the future but army is pretty much done. 

It's for my almost Snake-exclusive army I've been playtesting (it heay competitive) -

Hagg Narr

Bloodwrack Shrine - Shadow Stone

Morathi - Shroud of Despair

2xHag Queen (Catechism of Murder, Blessing of Khaine)

2x20 Blood Sisters

10 Witches(double knives)

5 Heartrenders

Geminidis 

It's working like magic - combination of Blood Sisters with Mindrazor and Shroud of Despair is amazing (especially with realms spells) is just AMAZING and with such big units it's easy to get them close to +1Bravery terrain, with Realms spells like +1 to damage, or reducing enemy armour, or some bravery debuff. 

46348350_2205499342814113_4349884208135536640_n.jpg

• Like 4

Lore wise Daughters of Khaine are a religious cult that is ruled in a totalitarian regime which is dominated by women and topped with Khaine. However Morathi really leads as she is the mouth through which Khaine speaks. 

My understanding of Melusai and Khinari is that they are both formed within the blood pools by Morathi and forged from flesh and souls harvested from Slaanesh. However I believe that otherwise they have independent will and thought. That they are raised and heavily indoctrinated likely affects their outlook on life heavily, but they do have capacity to think and act and form their own concepts on the world. They are also kept hidden within the temples, so you can think of them like warlock monks - kept cloistered within the religious structure and only let out on rare occasions when needed. The result might actually give them an edge of naivety about the world and other cultures. Another aspect is that Morathi might use runes on them or other magics, to bend them or at least make them more compliant to her wills and ideals. Although any such magics could be broken or twisted or changed by outside forces or even a very determined insider force within the faction. 

The lore also doesn't establish if they can or cannot breed within their own kind, though I don't think there are any male melusai or khinari there's nothing that says they could not select males of the Aelf species to breed with. We know that Idoneth can breed and are forged like they are, though Idoneth fail in that their offspring lack souls. I would wager khinari and melusai would likely produce twisted offspring like themselves. Morathi might already discourage such unions in the fear that it could produce male variations which could then establish a population. That said if anything were to interrupt her supply of souls from Slaanesh this might be something she has to do in order to keep her legions healthy. 

Bloodwrack are certainly different and are formed from a bite from Morathi herself (from her head of snakes). They appear to lose a lot of free will and become very bound to her ideals and rulership. The Battletome never says that they are directly controlled by her, just that they are her most loyal subjects and worshippers; and that she often uses this to twist those who are rising within the ranks who question Morathi and her ideals. So clearly there is some control happening here, some breaking of wills. 

That said Witch aelves, Sisters of slaughter, queens, doomfires and the greater population of Daughters of Khane are all worshippers of Khaine not Morathi. It's from here that uprising could happen (and clearly does try to happen based on how many secret orders and control schemes Morathi has to use to keep things running as they are). I think that there is a general feeling that something is not right within the faction and within their own leader. They are a faction born of blood and battle, who favour survival of the fittest and strongest and yet their own males are pitiful from birth. It's one thing to look down upon another gender, but the males are physically imperfect compared to the women. Clearly this might well be causing some contention and conflict within the faction and it wouldn't shock me if Morathi has to bring in laws and religious argument to prevent her peoples breeding outside of their own kind. To prevent any chance that a stronger male genetic code could work its way into the peoples (esp since now they are so wide spread its likely that Morathi wouldn't be able to work the magics required to weaken the male bloodline again - plus how they are now spread out over most of the Realms where Order holds lands). 

My impression is that Daughters of Khaine is a totalitarian religious order right on the cusp of potential revolution. It all hinges and stems from Morathi, both her hatred of males and also her lie to her people regarding Khaine. It wouldn't surprise me if we see this being abused by other factions. Clearly there are queens who question if Morathi really is speaking with Khaine's voice or if she's just making it up for herself. Clearly there are needs to keep to strict codes and secret police forces to keep things running as they should - thinks that are hard to maintain once you're out of the shadow realm. Clearly an old soul within a Khinari or Melusai could recall its history over time. It need not even be a named hero from the Old World; an old queen or witch who truly knew the feeling of Khaine flowing through them could easily start to raise secret rebellion against Morathi in order to ensure the return of their true God. 

• Like 1

Rarest model I have is probably the old Wood Elf hero on foot with sword and spear, I don't see her around all that much but there are plenty of pictures of her online. I'm using her as my Nomad Prince these days.

I've got 17 metal Waywatchers too, I'm using them as my Sisters of the Watch - they were always my favorite back in WHF and it's great that SotW are such a good unit - I can bring them to pretty much every game I play with my Wanderers.

13 minutes ago, Tel said:

ahh sorry my bad :) i only thought it were the Bloodwrack Medusa that made them battleline ;)

It's based off the keyword rather than the model name, so as the Bloodwrack shrine has the Bloodwrack keyword; and the Shrine is a hero unit capable of being a leader, and thus set as general, it can indeed make the bloodsisters battleline. IF GW ever releases another Bloodwrack unit with the keyword in a hero slot then that unit could also make the snakes battleline as well. 

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

Hey guys!

Bringing my Daughters to a tournament for the first time soon! Hit me up with your #1 top tips for playing the army competitively ;)

Here's my list, for reference:
Image may contain: text

1. Use Gryph Feather Charm from Malign Sorcery for +1" movement and -1 hit penalty on the Cauldron. This is currently perhaps the best artifact for it.
  2. Drop Mindrazor, use Steed of Shadows. Mindrazor is useless in the current Meta because all the ghosts save ignore rend and have Bravery 10. With such high mobility, just fly your Medusa into a horde of 30 whatever and profit.
  3. You need 1 extra CP for contingency against any unexpected shenanigans .
  4. If you want to be ultra competitive, stop at 1940 points. I think the army with lesser points get to roll on Triumph which are legal in Matched Play.

If you have the money.

1. Upgrade the Bloodwrack Medusa to a Shrine. For 80 more pts you get a lot more  wounds, 2 additional mortal wounds dealing abilities.  Movement is also not much of an issue with Steed of Shadows.
  2. Drop Sisters of Slaughter and use 30 more Witch Aelves, abuse them while you can!
  3. Add 5 more Blood Sisters to enjoy a massive point savings for full squad size
  4. Add 2x5 more Khinerai Heartrenders

• Confused 1

Here are my 2cents;

1)10-12 unit count is pretty high; consider dropping  a unit of  10 witch aelves and a hag queen for a battalion instead for 2 reasons:

a) Deployment drop advantage

b) Time management - managing too many units in a limited time setting can work against you (plus its an unfun experience for you and your opponent if you both cant finish your games within the time limit)

2) Martyr's Sacrifice is not worth having especially when you're running Hagg Nar temple  and Blessing of Khaine prayer. If you're keeping your 3rd Hag Queen ,Crimson Rejuvenation is a better option to keep your heroes longer in the fight

3) Gryph Feather Charm or Ignax Scales over Thousand 1 Blessings

14 hours ago, DantePQ said:

So my second Snake unit is done, I will have some more Lifetakers to be able to field 20 strong unit in the future but army is pretty much done. 

It's for my almost Snake-exclusive army I've been playtesting (it heay competitive) -

Hagg Narr

Bloodwrack Shrine - Shadow Stone

Morathi - Shroud of Despair

2xHag Queen (Catechism of Murder, Blessing of Khaine)

2x20 Blood Sisters

10 Witches(double knives)

5 Heartrenders

Geminidis 

It's working like magic - combination of Blood Sisters with Mindrazor and Shroud of Despair is amazing (especially with realms spells) is just AMAZING and with such big units it's easy to get them close to +1Bravery terrain, with Realms spells like +1 to damage, or reducing enemy armour, or some bravery debuff. 

46348350_2205499342814113_4349884208135536640_n.jpg

Shroud of despair, is that the command trait for +1 bravery? Morathi can't have that no? Unique characters can't take command traits or artefacts?? 

Edit- Maybe a spell? Don't have the book at hand and can't remember! 

Edit edit. It's a spell. Ignore me 😂

Edited by quina2525