AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I won a 1500pt tournament with DoK today!

My big takeaway is that Hagg Nar is by far the best temple. That 5+ shrug is phenomenal, and a universal re-roll hits on turn 3 is just great. Those two rules gave me a strong position. Nagash's hand of dust was the only thing that killed my shrine.

Similarly it seems that prayer selection is big; Catechism of Murder, Blessing of Khaine, and Sacrament of Blood work very nicely and combo well with both each other and the myriad of combat modifiers our spellcasters have access to. I only had minimum sized units (bar some doomfires at the back), and even one prayer on a single unit was capable of swinging combat phases in my favour. Really insane potential in this army. It was my first outing wit them and I was very apprehensive about playing against summoning armies; but after playing seraphon and Nagash it is clear that our buffs and rules do form a strong enough web from which we can cut through anything. I am very impressed by how the ladies held up.

A special shout out to Doomfire Warlocks. Been playing them in GA: Order armies since AoS came out and the fact they now benefit from all these great battletome rules has pushed them over the edge. Really insane utility. Anyone unsure about them take my advice and get yourself a unit of 10.

• Like 1

So I'm struggling with how to finish my army...

what I have purchased and assembled - 10 sisters of slaughter, 20 blood sisters, Morathi, bloodwrack shrine, hag queen, slaughter queen, avatar

How I was thinking:

ption 1 - more character heavy (basically have to locate another coven box set - or cauldron and witch kit)

Morathi
Bloodwrack shrine (general)
Hag queen on cauldron of blood
Hag Queen
Bloodwrack medusa

10 blood sisters
10 blood sisters
20 sisters of slaughter

Option 2 - less characters, more troopers

Morathi
Bloodwrack shrine
Hag Queen

10 sisters of slaughter
20 blood sisters
20 blood sisters
10 kinerai heartrenders

Not sure if either of these options are the way to go, but need to decide before I buy more! (and our escalation league is up to 1250 next week!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@JackShrapnel

I highly recommend running a Hag Queen for each multi model unit you are running. Their Hag Brew lets a unit ignore battleshock AND re-roll wound rolls. This is the greatest piece of game design ever as it keeps your models around till turn 3 (when your whole army starts re-rolling combat die) and helps you push damage through for the entire game. It is especially nasty on sisters of slaughter because if your opponent gets tricked by the 6" pile in they are suddenly at risk of taking a lot of damáge.

P.S: You don't need another Cauldron to get more hags. Convert them! The 40k Lhamean makes a great Hag Queen, as do a lot of the Drukhari. Makes it easier to differentiate between hags if you do this, which you'll need to do since you'll want them each to know a different prayer.

Edited by Rekmeister

6 hours ago, Rekmeister said:

A special shout out to Doomfire Warlocks. Been playing them in GA: Order armies since AoS came out and the fact they now benefit from all these great battletome rules has pushed them over the edge. Really insane utility. Anyone unsure about them take my advice and get yourself a unit of 10.

I've played around 30 games with a unit of 10.  Love them.  They do everything.  

Even better in Khalibron Temple 

I eventually want a unit of 10 but I can never seem to make them fit without reducing other parts of the army that I don't want to reduce. They are phenomenal on paper, though. As a Khorne player, they give me everything my army lacks! (Speed, Shooting, Magic). 

Being able to contribute during every phase of the game is absolutely massive. I don't know of too many non-hero units that can do it. 

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Even better in Khalibron Temple 

If only I had the courage to take Khailebron. I'm too scard of coming up against a devoted casting army!

What is really insane is that they are wizards. There are 18 matched play scenarios now and a good chunk of them have the word Wizard in the rules for determining who holds an objective or wins the game. Ten wizards are much harder to kill than one! I played Places of Arcane Power yesterday and went 18-1 because those warlocks sat on an objective the whole game.

50 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

I eventually want a unit of 10 but I can never seem to make them fit without reducing other parts of the army that I don't want to reduce. They are phenomenal on paper, though. As a Khorne player, they give me everything my army lacks! (Speed, Shooting, Magic). 

Well I guess I'm lucky that I had them before Daughters of Khaine was a 'playable' faction, and even more lucky that I am a stingy person who doesn't like spending money, so to me the 320pt investment is great as it means that's 1/3 of a 1k army I don't need to buy! They are a unit whose worth is compounded in a tournament setting where you play multiple games. You are going to get that Doomfire off turn 1 at some point and it will swing you the game. If it's not a hero you snipe it could be a stormfiend, 3 shock troops, or even just cracking a behemoth so it has worse stats.

54 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

Being able to contribute during every phase of the game is absolutely massive. I don't know of too many non-hero units that can do it. 

You hit the nail on the head. It's just value. As long as they aren't deployed on the front line they will have something to do in any given match up, which is quite important for an aggro army. They might be the only men in the army, but dear god do they make the gender proud!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rekmeister said:

My big takeaway is that Hagg Nar is by far the best temple. That 5+ shrug is phenomenal, and a universal re-roll hits on turn 3 is just great. Those two rules gave me a strong position. Nagash's hand of dust was the only thing that killed my shrine.

Similarly it seems that prayer selection is big; Catechism of Murder, Blessing of Khaine, and Sacrament of Blood work very nicely and combo well with both each other and the myriad of combat modifiers our spellcasters have access to. I only had minimum sized units (bar some doomfires at the back), and even one prayer on a single unit was capable of swinging combat phases in my favour. Really insane potential in this army. It was my first outing wit them and I was very apprehensive about playing against summoning armies; but after playing seraphon and Nagash it is clear that our buffs and rules do form a strong enough web from which we can cut through anything. I am very impressed by how the ladies held up.

Sounds really cool with a non witch spam list. Do you mind sharing?:)

glad to hear the warlocks performing!

@jazzy128 Sure thing

Bloodwrack Medusae - General

- Gryph Feather Charm / Devoted Disciples / The Withering

Bloodwrack Medusae

- Mindrazor

3 Hag Queens

- Blessing of Khaine / Catechism of Murder / Sacrament of Blood

2 x 5 Blood Sisters

10 Sisters of Slaughter

10 Doomfire Warlocks

- Mindrazor

10 Executioners 

Chronomatic Cogs

Only unit that really let me down was the second medusae; I didn't realize they had changed the rules for the bloodwrack gaze so that it only counted models in range, so her effective reach is far lower than it used to be. Still, in this meta of big units, being able to threaten said units with two huge punisher attacks is great, even if getting close enough means signing the medusae's death warrant. The combo of Doomfire and Bloodwrack Gaze means you can get some serious hurt done before combat, that thing your army excels at, has even begun. The executioners are great allies because you get to roll 21 dice and each 6 is 2 mortal wounds .Who cares if they don't receive Blood Rites etc. when they can do that! The strength of the army was making sure those hags followed the melee units every turn, so I was never without my precious buffs. It's insane what 10 Sisters of Slaughter can do with Mindrazor, Catechism of Murder, and Hag Brew. I am sure that a unit of 30 would be even better, but there's something to be said about investing buffs in a small unit because you become so cost effective. All 10 Sisters of Slaughter can get in range and make use of those buffs. If I had 30 I might have found that some of them weren't in the fight. Although they do have a 6" pile in so that logic doesn't necessarily apply to them as it does the witch aelves.

If they ever release a named medusae for a shadespire-esque supplement I will be all over it - all our faction lacks is a command ability that can be used alongside Melusai battleline, and even then I can't exactly say I missed a unique command ability, I spent three points re-rolling charges in two games and they were well spent!

Edited by Rekmeister

So I decided to lay out a road map for my collection to guide my build from 1000 points all the way up to 2500. I'm sorry if it's a bit much, but I figured I'd share to at least give someone else ideas about building up a DoK force if they wanted to. Not sure how feasible it is to build a competent force and get two extra command points until the 2000 mark.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine - Mortal Realm: *** - Temple: Hagg Nar

LEADERS

• Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - General - Command Trait : Devoted Desciples - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Hag Queen (60) - Prayer : Blessing of Khaine

UNITS

• 10 x Blood Sisters (280)
  • 10 x Witch Aelves (100) -Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
  • 5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

TOTAL: 950/1000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 __ WOUNDS: 63 __ LEADERS: 2/4 __ BATTLELINES: 2 (2+) __ BEHEMOTHS: 1/2 

LEADERS

• Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - General - Command Trait : Devoted Desciples - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
  • Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Catechism of Murder

UNITS

• 30 x Sisters Of Slaughter (300) -Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
  • 5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160) - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

TOTAL: 1450/1500

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 __ WOUNDS: 99 __ LEADERS: 3/6 __ BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) __ BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 __ ARTEFACTS: 1/1 

LEADERS

• Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - General - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

UNITS

• 5 x Blood Sisters (140)
  • 20 x Sisters Of Slaughter (240) -Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
  • 10 x Sisters Of Slaughter (120) -Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
  • 30 x Witch Aelves (270) -Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

BATTALIONS

• Slaughter Troupe (130)

TOTAL: 1750/1750

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 __ WOUNDS: 114 __ LEADERS: 3/6 __ BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) __ BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 __ ARTEFACTS: 1/2

LEADERS

• Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - General - Command Trait : Devoted Desciples - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - Artefact : Shadow Stone - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
  • Hag Queen (60) - Prayer : Sacrament of Blood

UNITS

BATTALIONS

• Slaughter Troupe (130)

TOTAL: 1950/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 __ WOUNDS: 134 __ LEADERS: 3/6 __ BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)

LEADERS

• Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - General - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
  • Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - Artefact : Shadow Stone - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

UNITS

• 5 x Blood Sisters (140)
  • 10 x Doomfire Warlocks (320) - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

BATTALIONS

• Slaughter Troupe (130)

TOTAL: 2450/2500

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 __ WOUNDS: 165 __ LEADERS: 5/8 __ BATTLELINES: 5 (4+) __ BEHEMOTHS: 1/5 __ ARTEFACTS: 2/2

Any feedback is welcome.

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper

15 hours ago, Overread said:

Darn it stop making me want an army of snakes too!!

Someone quick do an army of khinerai! 

Lol, in that game I had to face a double team of Nighthaunt and Blight Kings and those snakes just tore them up! Blessing of Khaine prayer combined with Hagg Nar temple is just insane. They never die, lol.  My main fighting unit was buffed out and held like Spartans at the Hot Gates. People HATE the snakes now, ha! Play them, they’re incredible!

13 hours ago, Rekmeister said:

Yep, those are the exact same 3 prayers I use. 

@Aspirant Snaeper I just sat down and worked out the difference between each level and it looks fairly solid with little waste over time; however I'd encourage you to consider adding a second Cauldron kit earlier rather than later. That would give you access to more hag queens as my feeling is that you're undersupporting your army once you're going past the 1500 points and getting into 2000 points. I know a cauldron is a big addition (cost, time, paint etc...) but I think it would be worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overread said:

@Aspirant Snaeper I just sat down and worked out the difference between each level and it looks fairly solid with little waste over time; however I'd encourage you to consider adding a second Cauldron kit earlier rather than later. That would give you access to more hag queens as my feeling is that you're undersupporting your army once you're going past the 1500 points and getting into 2000 points. I know a cauldron is a big addition (cost, time, paint etc...) but I think it would be worth it.

I definitely planned on buying at least two Cauldron's, rest assured. But I have a hard time justifying putting Hag Queen's in which bewilders me as they're as cheap as they come. 

In fact, list building with DoK in general has been very different from what I'm used to with Khorne. The Cauldron of Blood seems almost essential, not unlike the Khorne Bloodsecrator, but the difference is almost two hundred points! I'm used to running out of Hero slots with Khorne, but with Daughters I have a hard time even filling them up past half as you can see. 

Once I get my 1000 point list and play a few games, I will likely tweak the procurement to adjust to what I like and do not like. If I determine that a Cauldron is overkill at lower levels then I may ditch it for foot-heroes. It really does drive me crazy that we have no clamshell heroes. Converting it is! 

2k Strategy: I've played with hordes of bodies before and I think I'll still want to have at least 70 models of Battleline by the time I get to 2k. I think, as long as I can keep the Heroes safe, I won't necessarily need more. The thought process being that as long as I have one Witch Brew and Inspiring Presence, then I know I can at least keep the two most essential units in combat from disappearing. Keeping combats in waves will also be essential: Blood Sisters and Witches strike first, Heartreavers drop down shortly after and operate independently unless needed. Doomfire's will likely also roam alone and unsupported in most cases. The smaller SoS unit will serve as chaff or a fire-and-forget objective grabber or board control, while the big block of SoS will rotate between serving as the wall to protect the whole army early game, or the wall to protect the Blood Cauldron late game, at which point they then become the target of buffs and turn into tough murder machines. 

That's the theory, anyways! 

Annnd here's the Blackout Daughter of Khaine list that finished 15th, since we've all talked about the 2nd place list. This one includes Morathi instead of the Doomfire's and Blood Sisters we saw in @Morglum StormBasha's list. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine - Mortal Realm: Ulgu - Temple: Hagg Nar

LEADERS

• Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - General - Command Trait : Devoted Desciples - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Blessing of Khaine
  • Hag Queen (60) - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480) - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

UNITS

BATTALIONS

• Slaughter Troupe (130)

TOTAL: 1990/2000

And here's the 17th place overall list, which also uses Morathi. Once again, we see the magic number of 70 Witches/Sisters, and two units of 5 Heartrenders again. Otherwise this list is quite different. Mirror Dance is an excellent spell for Morathi when you consider the amount of Heroes in the list. I don't see a lot of reliability of the support, but the sheer amount of it (and the relatively fewer units to cast support onto) might mitigate not taking Iron Circlet or Shadow Stone. The use of Predatory Spells and Morathi is a good combo given her range. 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine - Mortal Realm: Aqshy - Temple: Hagg Nar

LEADERS

• Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480) - Lore of Shadows : Mirror Dance
  • Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - General - Command Trait : Devoted Desciples - Artefact : Thermalrider Cloak - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
  • Hag Queen (60) - Prayer : Martyr's Sacrifice

UNITS

ENDLESS SPELLS

• Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
  • Malevolent Maelstrom (20)

TOTAL: 1950/2000

Edited by Aspirant Snaeper
  • Thanks 1

Ok as I prepare for Throne of Skulls Warhammer Fest tournament here is last part of my army (there will be only extra 20 Blood Sisters and Forgeworld Avatar on foot added in the future) and by the way I also decided to use Slaughter Troupe. 

39067972_243897382930350_4733270301989666816_n.jpg

39042052_684375341916201_8140531212969050112_n.jpg

39060306_1510707393110124_701553272527257600_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I've been thinking of a 2k Khailebron army with as strong snake girl basis. What do you think of this?

Spoiler

Daughters of Khaine army - Allegiance Daughters of Khaine - Khailebron

Heroes

Bloodwrack Medusa (General)    -  Mindrazor  -  Mistress of Illusion   - 140 points

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood - Iron Circlet - Sacrament of Blood -  330 points

Hag Queen - Catechism of Murder - 60 points

Hag Queen - Blessing of Khaine - Blessing of Khaine - 60 points

Units

BATTLELINE

30 Witch Aelves - Pair of daggers - Full command - 270 points

20 Blood Sisters  - 480 points

5 Blood Sisters - 140 points

The Rest

5 Blood Stalkers  - 160 points

5 Blood Stalkers - 160 points

Battalions

Tempe Nest Battalion   - 130 points

Extra CP: 1

Total: 1970 points

I only have the Blood Coven and 5x Stalkers atm, so I can still change about everything on this list.

5 hours ago, Arkalid said:

I've been thinking of a 2k Khailebron army with as strong snake girl basis. What do you think of this?

Hide contents

Daughters of Khaine army - Allegiance Daughters of Khaine - Khailebron

Heroes

Bloodwrack Medusa (General)    -  Mindrazor  -  Mistress of Illusion   - 140 points

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood - Iron Circlet - Sacrament of Blood -  330 points

Hag Queen - Catechism of Murder - 60 points

Hag Queen - Blessing of Khaine - Blessing of Khaine - 60 points

Units

BATTLELINE

30 Witch Aelves - Pair of daggers - Full command - 270 points

20 Blood Sisters  - 480 points

5 Blood Sisters - 140 points

The Rest

5 Blood Stalkers  - 160 points

5 Blood Stalkers - 160 points

Battalions

Tempe Nest Battalion   - 130 points

Extra CP: 1

Total: 1970 points

I only have the Blood Coven and 5x Stalkers atm, so I can still change about everything on this list.

Pretty solid. While Hagg Nar will have more survivability and the turn 3 rerolls to hit, I have found Khalibron to be useful in objective games. I played a list very similar to yours in a tournament recently and I did fairly well (Won two out of three games and tied the third.)  That teleport ability enabled me to quite easily get units exactly where I need them to be. Temple Nest is a nice battalion if you're taking lots of snakes. It deals an ok amount of mortal wounds, if I remember to remind my opponent! Also as much as I love the snakes a unit of Witch Elves is a nice chaff unit to tie up something scary and potentially deal a massive amount of wounds to it.

Edited by DJMoose
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, Rekmeister said:

@jazzy128 Sure thing

Bloodwrack Medusae - General

- Gryph Feather Charm / Devoted Disciples / The Withering

Bloodwrack Medusae

- Mindrazor

3 Hag Queens

- Blessing of Khaine / Catechism of Murder / Sacrament of Blood

2 x 5 Blood Sisters

10 Sisters of Slaughter

10 Doomfire Warlocks

- Mindrazor

10 Executioners 

Chronomatic Cogs

Only unit that really let me down was the second medusae; I didn't realize they had changed the rules for the bloodwrack gaze so that it only counted models in range, so her effective reach is far lower than it used to be. Still, in this meta of big units, being able to threaten said units with two huge punisher attacks is great, even if getting close enough means signing the medusae's death warrant. The combo of Doomfire and Bloodwrack Gaze means you can get some serious hurt done before combat, that thing your army excels at, has even begun. The executioners are great allies because you get to roll 21 dice and each 6 is 2 mortal wounds .Who cares if they don't receive Blood Rites etc. when they can do that! The strength of the army was making sure those hags followed the melee units every turn, so I was never without my precious buffs. It's insane what 10 Sisters of Slaughter can do with Mindrazor, Catechism of Murder, and Hag Brew. I am sure that a unit of 30 would be even better, but there's something to be said about investing buffs in a small unit because you become so cost effective. All 10 Sisters of Slaughter can get in range and make use of those buffs. If I had 30 I might have found that some of them weren't in the fight. Although they do have a 6" pile in so that logic doesn't necessarily apply to them as it does the witch aelves.

If they ever release a named medusae for a shadespire-esque supplement I will be all over it - all our faction lacks is a command ability that can be used alongside Melusai battleline, and even then I can't exactly say I missed a unique command ability, I spent three points re-rolling charges in two games and they were well spent!

Really happy to hear a list like that performs! I have no intention of painting 70+ witches.

Moreover I have some old metal executioners from my childhood (they’ve proven themselves in my ga order lists time and time again, oneshotting Skarbrand as their most impressive feat.)

I can only imagine the cogs will serve them well!

Its really a shame about the lack of command abilities with the Medusa general, but the new universal ones are also pretty great, and if you play with realms you get even more options. 

A shadespire expansion would be sooo cool. But I actually think that’s true for a lot of factions! Somehow they’ve avoided anything that turns me on so far.

13 hours ago, jazzy128 said:

Really happy to hear a list like that performs! I have no intention of painting 70+ witches.

Yeah same! I've found that DoK do not suffer from having small units; you just need to distribute your buffs correctly and everyone will pull their weight. My 2k dream is a hunk of 20 Blood Sisters and two units of 10 SoS to chill out on the flanks and punish an enemy who gets too close.

I also still can't believe that our priests can all pray twice. Hags are absurd value, and I'm even seeing the light regarding Slaughter Queens. I'm tempted to slot a Slaughter Troupe into my 2K list so that I can abuse the cauldron of blood's charge damage, slingshot SoS into the enemy support lines, and get an all important second artefact for the second Cauldron.

1 hour ago, Rekmeister said:

also still can't believe that our priests can all pray twice.

Honestly I think a lot of DoK players miss that comment because (like a lot of sigmar rules) its not where you expect it to be and where you expect the info to be actually says only once. I think we need to produce our own "cheat sheet" for info like this in the DoK battletome for players to reference whereas otherwise its info so easily overlooked.

(for reference its found in the Prayers page in the Battletome - essentially if you are playing a Battletome DoK army you get to pick 1 prayer from the prayer table (like picking a spell from the lore) however if you do pick a prayer from the table you get an extra pray per turn (which is in counter to the "Once per turn" limit stated on the Priest Warscrolls - which is where 99.9% of people will look for that info).

Two Prayers a turn changes their versatility a LOT and it wouldn't even surprise me if GW even forgot that rule when pricing the Hag Queen at 60 points

Edited by Overread