AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/27/2020 at 12:34 PM, pixieproxy said:

What are people hoping for from the Khainite Shadowstalkers?

Alternate Battleline option with more elite stats. -1 rend would be welcome.

Teleport/Cloaking ability, unit counting as wizard if leader or that warlock is alive with own spell. Mortal wounds on natural 6 hit rolls (poison).

Probably split profile to 2-3 weapons (dual melee, range and leader).

New list I am going to try. Based around my one from the 1 dayer but with some tweeks. 

Hagg Nar

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (Blessing of khaine) (290)
Bloodwrack Shrine (Shadowstone, mindrazor) - General, devoted Disciples (210)
Morgwaeth Blade-coven, Crimson Rejuvenation: 140 (to keep Shrine/Cauldron going)
Celestant Prime (300) (Deal with backline shooters/target Sisters cant get to)
30 Sisters of Slaughter (Bucklers) (300)
20 Blood Sisters (480)
5 Blood sisters (140) (I went with 5 sisters over 10 WE. They have better save/same wounds and have better attack output if on their own)
5 Doomfire Warlocks (Steed of shadows) (140) Still not sure this over a 2nd MEdusa. I love the medusa attacks but usually wont take effect until turn 2/3. I like the 2nd Shrine but I just cant fit it in. Warlocks can be a fast backline unit or sneaky obj stealer  with steed of shadows) 

9 Drops (as I think Morgwaeth counts a 2) 
2 Casts, 2 dispels. 2 witch brews. 2 prayers

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

New list I am going to try. Based around my one from the 1 dayer but with some tweeks. 

Hagg Nar

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (Blessing of khaine) (290)
Bloodwrack Shrine (Shadowstone, mindrazor) - General, devoted Disciples (210)
Morgwaeth Blade-coven, Crimson Rejuvenation: 140 (to keep Shrine/Cauldron going)
Celestant Prime (300) (Deal with backline shooters/target Sisters cant get to)
30 Sisters of Slaughter (Bucklers) (300)
20 Blood Sisters (480)
5 Blood sisters (140) (I went with 5 sisters over 10 WE. They have better save/same wounds and have better attack output if on their own)
5 Doomfire Warlocks (Steed of shadows) (140) Still not sure this over a 2nd MEdusa. I love the medusa attacks but usually wont take effect until turn 2/3. I like the 2nd Shrine but I just cant fit it in. Warlocks can be a fast backline unit or sneaky obj stealer  with steed of shadows) 

9 Drops (as I think Morgwaeth counts a 2) 
2 Casts, 2 dispels. 2 witch brews. 2 prayers

You like the blade coven?  

4 minutes ago, Ben said:

You like the blade coven?  

Yeah

for 140pts its a 5W hag but has 5 extra wounds on a 4+ plus a lot of additional attacks (12 attacks plus 1 shooting).

I think they can be a good support unit and more survivable from a 1 shot kill. I also love the model

Edited by Chumphammer

Hi all, brand new AOS and DOK player here. I have bought myself a few bits and pieces, and am mostly interested in playing a primarily Snek Girl army (that may become a purely Snake/Harpy army with the new boxed set).

This is what I have put together so far:

Hagg Nar,

Temple Nest - 130 points,

(General) Bloodwrack Shrine - 210 points,

Morgwaeth Blade-Coven - 140 points,

Hag Queen on Cauldron - 290 points,

Hag Queen (or Slaughter Queen) - 100 points (will possibly swapped out for an Ironscale when they release),

15 Blood Sisters - 420 points,

5 Blood Sisters - 140 points,

5 Blood Stalkers - 120 points,

10 Sisters of Slaughter or Witch Aelves - 120 points,

5 Khinaerae Heartrenders - 90 points,

5 Khinaerae Heartrenders - 90 points.

1,970 points total. Now, I do not know if i'd be worth looking for points for another medusa (could drop 5 blood sisters, Morgwaeths pack or the foot hag, along with taking one of the other khinaerae units instead), I am quite fond of the Morgwaeth models, so have bought them to paint anyway.

One thing I have 0 idea on is the prayers, spells, artifacts etc so was hoping for a little guidance on that. No idea what my local meta is like, but I am not aiming for a super competitive list, just a nice modelling project that hopefully won't get walked all over.

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Two_Toned said:

Hi all, brand new AOS and DOK player here. I have bought myself a few bits and pieces, and am mostly interested in playing a primarily Snek Girl army (that may become a purely Snake/Harpy army with the new boxed set).

This is what I have put together so far:

Hagg Nar,

Temple Nest - 130 points,

(General) Bloodwrack Shrine - 210 points,

Morgwaeth Blade-Coven - 140 points,

Hag Queen on Cauldron - 290 points,

Hag Queen (or Slaughter Queen) - 100 points (will possibly swapped out for an Ironscale when they release),

15 Blood Sisters - 420 points,

5 Blood Sisters - 140 points,

10 Sisters of Slaughter or Witch Aelves - 120 points,

5 Khinaerae Heartrenders - 90 points,

5 Khinaerae Heartrenders - 90 points.

1,970 points total. Now, I do not know if i'd be worth looking for points for another medusa (could drop 5 blood sisters, Morgwaeths pack or the foot hag, along with taking one of the other khinaerae units instead), I am quite fond of the Morgwaeth models, so have bought them to paint anyway.

One thing I have 0 idea on is the prayers, spells, artifacts etc so was hoping for a little guidance on that. No idea what my local meta is like, but I am not aiming for a super competitive list, just a nice modelling project that hopefully won't get walked all over.

Thanks in advance.

Hey and welcome

1: Prayer 1 should be blessing of khaine for Hag Nar. 2nd can be Catechism of murder for damage, or sacrament of blood/crimson rejuvination. All those are good and sometimes Martyrs sacrifice.

Spell should be mindrazor for Medusa, probably with shadow stone as its our best casting item.

Blood stalkers are not worth the points so unless its just the models you have dont use them. Temple nest is also a bit crappy atm so probably not worth it. 

its a waste to have 15 snakes and 5 snakes, as you get the discount for 20 snakes.

So take 20 snakes and 10 WE/SOS still. to make up thje rest of battle line either swap 5 stalkers for 10 more WE/SOS or drop 5 heart renders plus the points you saved from taking 20 snakes, this gives you 170pts free, so again either 10 more WE/SOS or 5  more blood sisters

Try looking at this, not always thebest info but useful:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Daughters_of_Khaine

Plus look back over the forums

I just finished my first kitbash since years. It is nothing too complicated, but I am still pretty proud of it 😁. May I present to you, my new Slaughter Queen!

706248924_Prsentation1.png.3b305cfe156c484f80fa7238bbb82d76.png

It is something I have been planning to do for a long time now, because I never really liked the original GW model. Its outfit and stance make it look more like someone leading a ritual, but I wanted my Slaughter Queen to look more like a warrior. The idea has gone through multiple iterations at this point. At first, I just thought about using the original model and changing arms and head, but this never left me quite satisfied.
Then I saw someone doing a conversion with Yvraine, which sparked the idea that i wanted my Queen to be walking menacingly towards the enemy. So I bought the model, decided that I needed to get rid of her dress, her corset and all of the eldar markings, realised that there wouldn't be much left of the original model once I'm done as well as how much sculpting I would need to do to make it work and binned the idea 😅. Besides the model is so big, even without the dress, that it wouldn't even fit on a 25 mm base.
My next idea was to use the Genestealer Magus as a base for the conversion. It also has the basic pose I wanted for my Slaugther Queen, but would need much less work to make it look more like a Daughter of Khaine. I was still planning on how to do the conversion, when Morgwaeth's Blade-coven was announced. The announcement left me quite hyped. There it was. A stunning model, which looked close to what I wanted to do and it was already a Daughters of Khaine model. So while waiting for the warband to be released I thought of multiple ways to change Morgwaeth's arms to make her look more like a wanted and less like Morgwaeth, just in case I wanted to use the original model, too. Once the box arrived, I realised three things:

1. The way the parts were build up the conversions I planned were much harder to do than I thought.
  2. I didn't like Morgwaeth as much as I thought, especially her hair.
  3. If I combined Morgwaeth and Kyrssa I would get a model looking really close to what I had imagined.

So this is what I went with and what you can see in the picture above. Once some additional tools arrive, I am going to start smoothing some of the green stuff areas and call it a day. I can't wait to get this bad girl painted (which won't happen before I painted another set of 10 Witch Elves 🤢). Of course, I am also doing a similar conversion on a Cauldron of Blood, to make her actually useable on the table top 😉.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 8/25/2020 at 5:17 PM, Graywater said:

You're correct in that hagbrew would affect all of the cauldron attacks, but I read things a bit differently. It says in the core rules that mounts are not affected by command abilities or artifacts, and so the artifact would need to give permission to affect the mount, not the other way around. However, mount is a rule included on warscrolls in which they have that rule. As dumb as it sounds, our cauldrons and shrine do not have that rule, and so they technically are not mounted. 

So yes, it would work because our stuff aren't technically mounts. I agree with your assertion that we have better artifacts. Shadowstone and iron circlet just do so much for our army whereas the +1 to wound is pretty limited and can be mitigated by witchbrew or the reroll 1s to wound on turn 4.

Me again with a follow up question. Played against my friend yesterday (beat those StDs back to the chaos wastlands) But in the DoK battletome (pg 48) it says "Mounts - Some heroes have a mount, such as a battle steed, a powerful monster that they can ride, or a massive war machine that they can stand upon, in all such cases, any command traits or magical artefacts can only be used to affect attacks made by the hero". Is this just a generic rule text? This doesn't trump the fact that the cauldron isn't mentionend as a mount in the war scroll? 

8 hours ago, oscswa said:

Me again with a follow up question. Played against my friend yesterday (beat those StDs back to the chaos wastlands) But in the DoK battletome (pg 48) it says "Mounts - Some heroes have a mount, such as a battle steed, a powerful monster that they can ride, or a massive war machine that they can stand upon, in all such cases, any command traits or magical artefacts can only be used to affect attacks made by the hero". Is this just a generic rule text? This doesn't trump the fact that the cauldron isn't mentionend as a mount in the war scroll? 

If you check the screaming bell warscroll, you will see that one has “Mount” on it. So looks like the cauldrons are fine 👌

17 hours ago, oscswa said:

This is an interesting point I hadn't ever noticed. This piece you point out explicit mentions mounts in the army rules section of our army book. However, as I mentioned previously and @N_Watson shares, models with mounts have that rule as a part of their warscroll. It is clear from the wording in the rule that they intend for bloodwrack shrine and cauldrons to be mounts as they are "massive war machines that they can stand on". However, nowhere in the rules are we been asked to extrapolate what is or isn't a mount on our own-its been dictated on the warscroll. Reason says that they would be mounts, but the rules we have do not support that they are legally mounts. I would say that this is a holdover from an old book, but no warscroll updates have been posted online or in the app adding this rule, and there is no mention of this in the errata or designer's commentary.

I think id play it as the cauldron/shrine being a mount, despite no rule explicitly declaring them as such, because it makes sense to me that they should be mounts. I think it is within legal right to not play them as a mount based on the rules we have available, but there's potential for an argument to be made that they should be. The last thing I'd want is to take this to an event, get called out for this, and be penalized for something illegal because the judge may rule it that way. Best ask before using that rule at any major event.

I suspect this is another case of the older wording in the DoK book muddying the waters, from memory the distinction between heroes and their mounts first showed up as an FAQ point?  And it's been codified in the rules since then, but the DoK battletome was released before they settled on the current method of calling out mount attacks on the warscrolls themselves I think.

So played first set of games with 2k khalieborn pure sneks. All against coalesced lizards. 

List changed from original version, definitely learned some lessons. 

Lizards in coalesced are incredibly fast and can hit incredibly hard. 4 kroxigor got 26 damage through on 10 sneks with a +1 to their save from the cauldron, and the krox weren't even fully buffed 🤪

------------

So question is, should I be running the list in khailebron, keep the -1 to being shot, keep the teleporting morarthi, keep it at 3 drops. 

or 

Should I switch to hagg narr, gain the better shrug save, get the better rerolls to hit, but go to 4 drops instead? 

(final list pic attached) 

Screenshot_20200913_091118_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 9/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, Graywater said:

If the book had mount traits. Cities of sigmar and skaven both have units with mounts, but no mount traits available to take.

Skaven don’t really have (living) mounts, at least not with the current warlord on brood horror vanishing to legends.

lore wise, their have been a few great mount option, but never getting a model, pretty much meant the end of that idea for the current system 

Edited by Skreech Verminking

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Skaven don’t really have (living) mounts, at least not with the current warlord on brood horror vanishing to legends.

lore wise, their have been a few great mount option, but never getting a model, pretty much meant the end of that idea for the current system 

Correct. mount traits wouldn't make sense in their case, nor in the case for daughters, whose mounts also fall under that non living war machine-esque type of construct. Cities actually has some mounts that could justifiably have traits, and they dont. What I was saying with that comment is that not everything with the mount rule has access to mount traits like the comment I responded to suggested.

4 hours ago, Tropical Ghost General said:

So played first set of games with 2k khalieborn pure sneks. All against coalesced lizards. 

List changed from original version, definitely learned some lessons. 

Lizards in coalesced are incredibly fast and can hit incredibly hard. 4 kroxigor got 26 damage through on 10 sneks with a +1 to their save from the cauldron, and the krox weren't even fully buffed 🤪

------------

So question is, should I be running the list in khailebron, keep the -1 to being shot, keep the teleporting morarthi, keep it at 3 drops. 

or 

Should I switch to hagg narr, gain the better shrug save, get the better rerolls to hit, but go to 4 drops instead? 

(final list pic attached) 

Screenshot_20200913_091118_com.android.chrome.jpg

First I want to say that I love the profile of this army. 35 snakes and morathi is the exact concept that I got into this army for, and I suspect I'm not the only one. From a pickup game standpoint, from a hobby standpoint, and from a lore standpoint, this is great.

My concern (from a competitive gamer perspective) is that you just dont have the bodies on the board, and so not a lot of wounds, which means what damage you do threaten will diminish quickly. Temple nest is a huge point commintment that really wants you to invest as much into it as you can. Morathi being nearly a quarter of your army severely hinders that. Id suggest dropping morathi to fit another unit of 20 snakes into the temple nest, but i think she was one of your must haves, if i remember correctly. If thats the case, id suggest dropping the battalion and the blood stalkers and add more blood sisters. You could do 20/10/5/5 for example. Only 5 more bodies, but you're also turning 10 of the bodies you had previously into something useful.

However, it looks like you're set on the list. The choice between khailebron and hag nar unfortunately isn't really one. Hag nar is too good. Morathi doesn't need to be teleported because she covers so much distance on her own. Daughters units don't typically want to teleport because most of our buffs are bubbles that want to see them stay close to heroes. And with no bonuses to charge and just the reroll 1s from our table, a 9 inch charge is still way too unlikely to be counted on. We also don't typically care about going first. Getting buffs up first is nice, but we generally function fine going first or second. And the difference between 3 and 4 drops isn't that great. Its not like you're going from 1 to 2, or 7 to 8.

Edited by Graywater
  • Like 2