AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, Chumphammer said:

But then this bit at the bottom: 

"We’ll have to wait and see to find out – but, perhaps, not for long. "

DoK 2.0 sooooon

My interpretation of this comment was regarding the warband. While id love a new tome to mix some things up, I think they were just alluding to the release of the warband and perhaps a warcry expansion, as the first round of warbands are finished with the fire people.

1 hour ago, Chumphammer said:

"Last, but not least, we have Morathi – the most underestimated of the aelven gods. Having anointed herself the High Oracle of Khaine, Morathi has cunningly given herself the power and influence of a god, without the title. With the Stormvaults open, and the Lumineth resurgent, just what is the High Oracle of Khaine up to? And what are her agents doing in the Eightpoints?"

But then this bit at the bottom: 

"We’ll have to wait and see to find out – but, perhaps, not for long. "

DoK 2.0 sooooon

I interpreted this as pointing to the khainite warband. 
but here’s hoping 🤞 

Edited by Kramer

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mojo said:

hi guys, i buyed a dok army. Any advice for competitive list ?  ^^

I've only just come back to the hobby after a year long hiatus but some changes seemed to have happened in my absence. For one, general power creep seems to have occurred where we aren't as unstoppable as we once were if you turned your list up to 11. The other issue is we received a points hike to our moat valuable unit, the Hag Queen.

As for lists it still seems like Hag Nar is the most competitive but I have been running the following lately...

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Khailebron
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
- General
- Command Trait: Mistress of Illusion
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
Hag Queen (100)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
Hag Queen (100)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation
Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- Artefact: Rune of Ulgu - Mindrazor
- Lore of Shadows: The Withering

Battleline
30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives
10 x Sisters of Slaughter (120)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers

Units
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
10 x Blood Sisters (280)
5 x Khinerai Lifetakers (80)

Battalions
Slaughter Troupe (130)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 121

17 hours ago, Mojo said:

Mmm i prefer witchaelf 🤔

and why no Morathi With blood Sister? 🤔

Witch elfs are strong too. They trade the 6 inch pile in shenanigans offered by the sisters of slaughter for more attacks. I dont think id say one is strictly better than the other, it just comes down to personal preference. 

As to your morathi and blood sisters comment, you'll often see one or the other, but not both. A unit of 20 blood sisters and morathi are each 480 points. They serve very different roles on the battlefield and are both quite useful, but you will lack the points for all your support heroes and requisite witch elves/sisters of slaughter for battleline. I run both the snakes and morathi because those are the models that sold me on this army. However, I lose a lot for taking both of them. First, I only have a single unit of 30 sisters of slaughter. A second large unit of them would be quite handy. Also, I have to run a medusa as my general to get the blood sisters (snakes) as battleline. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to fit all 3 in the list. This is a big deal because it means I can't run a slaughter queen as my general, which means I can't get the command ability for hero phase activation.

Long story short, morathi and snakes are both good, but you sacrifice a lot to fit them both in the same list.

Hellllo, I am looking into DOK right now and thinking about starting an army. They definitely seem to be on the more expensive side as far as $ for 2000 pts is concerned. I am not looking necessarily to bring a destroy everything I play type of list but I was wondering if anyone could show me a sample list that’s still semi competitive And a list I could still show up to a one day tournament with the following models: Morathi, witch aelves and our snake lady friends. I want to get an idea of what the list could look like for financing as well. Would be much appreciated!

2 hours ago, NkfPanda said:

Hellllo, I am looking into DOK right now and thinking about starting an army. They definitely seem to be on the more expensive side as far as $ for 2000 pts is concerned. I am not looking necessarily to bring a destroy everything I play type of list but I was wondering if anyone could show me a sample list that’s still semi competitive And a list I could still show up to a one day tournament with the following models: Morathi, witch aelves and our snake lady friends. I want to get an idea of what the list could look like for financing as well. Would be much appreciated!

I put you one together (without nominating a Geberal, distributing artefacts and without choosing a temple yet)

Edit: You can split the 20 Eitches in 2x10 or make your Medusa the General in order to get to 3 Battleline choices.

165A8512-3C77-4F2B-AE80-A5462F79FCE8.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NkfPanda said:

Here's the list I use for events, just swap the sisters of slaughter for witch aelves and you're good:

- Temple: Hagg Nar
Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (290)
Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
20 x Blood Sisters (480)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graywater said:

Here's the list I use for events, just swap the sisters of slaughter for witch aelves and you're good:

Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
20 x Blood Sisters (480)

Allies: 0 / 400

Thank you so much good sir! I may do a similar list and switch the 10 sisters of slaughters for Blood Stalkers. I know they aren't super competitive but right now with so many objectives they seem OK despite not being as strong as the witches. What do you think? How have you been doing with this list? I play Deepkin as my primary army but DOK are soooo metal haha and Morathi might be the nicest model ever made so I think I am going to take the plunge. I have been thinking about waiting until Christmas though as they usually have battle boxes or deals and DOK may get one you never know.

@JackStreicher Thanks! I love all the snaky ladies in this list. Without the Cauldron of blood how durable do you think they would be? Alos, any good recommendations for tactics videos for DOK?

Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)

Bloodwrack Shrine (210)

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (290)

UNITS 30 x Witch Aelves (300) -

10 x Blood Sisters (280)

5 x Blood Stalkers (120)

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)

5 x Blood Stalkers (120)

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Any thoughts on this list? Do you think it would be solid?

4 minutes ago, NkfPanda said:

Thank you so much good sir! I may do a similar list and switch the 10 sisters of slaughters for Blood Stalkers. I know they aren't super competitive but right now with so many objectives they seem OK despite not being as strong as the witches. What do you think? How have you been doing with this list? I play Deepkin as my primary army but DOK are soooo metal haha and Morathi might be the nicest model ever made so I think I am going to take the plunge. I have been thinking about waiting until Christmas though as they usually have battle boxes or deals and DOK may get one you never 

youd have to take 10 sisters out of the unit of 30, as the small unit makes up the 3rd battleline. Ive run this list competitively for a year and a half and it has yet to do worse than 4-1 at 2 day events. I do think it'd be stronger dropping morathi to fit in another block of 30 sisters/witches, promote the cauldron hag to a slaughter queen for the command ability, and a foot hag, but running morathi and the snakes is what brought me to the army, so im not doing that. 

The snakes do most of your heavy lifting damage wise in this list. The sisters can be ok with mind razor against certain armies, but theyre there to get objectives. Otherwise the army is more defensive than offensive, so you have to go into it knowing that your greatest strength is how hard you are to kill. Sounds contrary to how theyre presented in lore, but it is the case, particularly in hagg nar. Hagg nar is our petrifex elite, where they dumped all the good stuff in a single temple. 

Tactics wise, they honestly aren't too hard to pilot. Biggest thing is to learn to move and deploy within your different ranges. Also resist the urge to storm across the board turn 1. We get better as the game goes on and an opponent's army will be able to take your units out when they're on their own. 

2 minutes ago, NkfPanda said:

Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)

Bloodwrack Shrine (210)

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (290)

UNITS 30 x Witch Aelves (300) -

10 x Blood Sisters (280)

5 x Blood Stalkers (120)

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)

5 x Blood Stalkers (120)

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Any thoughts on this list? Do you think it would be solid?

You need a 3rd battleline. Shadow warriors and heartrenders serve similar functions, but mixing them isn't bad. Blood stalkers are our most broken unit, but in a bad way. If you want to run them, id at least put them in the same unit, though you're likely dropping 5 to fit your 3rd battleline anyways. Id be worried about your damage output. 

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, NkfPanda said:

@JackStreicher Thanks! I love all the snaky ladies in this list. Without the Cauldron of blood how durable do you think they would be? Alos, any good recommendations for tactics videos for DOK?

Yw!
I think AoS Coach on YouTube has an Unterview with an DoK Top Player, that might help.

The Snake Ladies are durable enough without cauldron =} ofc you can modify the list to fit a Cauldron in =} (a Hag Queen on Cauldron seems to be the best way to play a cauldron atm) :)

Edited by JackStreicher

@Graywater just so you know that info is all really appreciated! I really wanted to run some skirmishing shooters but ya the scroll is so bad for the blood stalkers. I play IDK as my primary comp and semi comp army so I’m pretty good with not running forward like an orc these days but I know exactly what you are saying haha. When I first started that’s what I used to do *derp*. I could not play and not run the snaky ladies and Morathi just too cool. I’m taking everything you said into consideration much thanks :).

• Like 1

Just finished a small one dayer where I took first place. I used:

Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
20 x Blood Sisters (480)

Allies: 0 / 400

first game was against fyreslayers in knife to the heart. He had lords of the lodge and forge brethren battalions and long story short, it came down to the priority roll turn 5. He had the last remnants of his second hearthguard unit in place to take mine, and i had 7 or so snakes in place to take his. I rolled a 5, he rolled a 6... so he won the primary, but i got both auxiliaries and prevented him from getting one. (This ended up being a big deal). 

Game 2 was against slaanesh in shifting objectives. 4 keepers and belakor. I let him go first and he scored 7 points for controlling all objectives with battleline on each. He revealed his choice for belakor in my turn, my sisters, but i got lucky and rolled the 5+ to let them swarm an objective. I use this turn to kill all of his battleline and sit on the objectives as well, scoring 7 myself. I score 7 points for the next 2 turns while slowly losing my entire army. He tables me top of turn 4, but ive already won the game on objective points and got both auxiliaries. 

game 3 was against fyreslayers in forcing the hand. At this point, im playing for the overall win, as my first round opponent was kept from getting his auxiliaries in the previous game and so im up on him by one point. If I get a major win, score both auxiliaries, and prevent my opponent from getting one of his two, i win the event. This guy also had a lords of the lodge battalion, but with this gametype keeping the armies so far apart, he couldn't get his buffs in range when he tunneled up turn 1. He charged my unit of 30 sisters of slaughter and thanks to my reroll saves triumphs and some hot rolling, I only lost 8. My entire army spent the next turn fighting that one unit of berzerkers and I was able to bounce from one unit to the next over the course of the game thanks to how spread the objectives are in this mission. My heartrenders were able to snag the primary objective turn 2 from him which turned the game in my favor, and there was one objective he could never reach thanks to his slow movement, which made the choice of which objective to nominate to be his primary easy. I got an insurmountable lead by turn 3, got both of my auxiliaries, and kept him from getting one of his.

I won, with a single point separating 1st from 2nd and 2nd from 3rd. Playing fyreslayers twice wasn't ideal, as i think they arent a great matchup for us. They do the same thing we do, but better. Getting a mission that spread the objectives wsy out game 3 helped a lot against them. Theyre quite difficult to deal with in games like knife to the heart where they just need to be in one place. Im a big fan of forcing the hand. It was a fun mission and having such limited deployment led to some actual strategy in movement, since you can't just close the gap in one round easily. Now im praying for covid to settle so big events can get started again. This was a small event but it definitely filled that competitive play void ive been feeling.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Graywater said:

Just finished a small one dayer where I took first place. I used:

Bloodwrack Shrine (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Devoted Disciples
20 x Blood Sisters (480)

Allies: 0 / 400

first game was against fyreslayers in knife to the heart. He had lords of the lodge and forge brethren battalions and long story short, it came down to the priority roll turn 5. He had the last remnants of his second hearthguard unit in place to take mine, and i had 7 or so snakes in place to take his. I rolled a 5, he rolled a 6... so he won the primary, but i got both auxiliaries and prevented him from getting one. (This ended up being a big deal). 

Game 2 was against slaanesh in shifting objectives. 4 keepers and belakor. I let him go first and he scored 7 points for controlling all objectives with battleline on each. He revealed his choice for belakor in my turn, my sisters, but i got lucky and rolled the 5+ to let them swarm an objective. I use this turn to kill all of his battleline and sit on the objectives as well, scoring 7 myself. I score 7 points for the next 2 turns while slowly losing my entire army. He tables me top of turn 4, but ive already won the game on objective points and got both auxiliaries. 

game 3 was against fyreslayers in forcing the hand. At this point, im playing for the overall win, as my first round opponent was kept from getting his auxiliaries in the previous game and so im up on him by one point. If I get a major win, score both auxiliaries, and prevent my opponent from getting one of his two, i win the event. This guy also had a lords of the lodge battalion, but with this gametype keeping the armies so far apart, he couldn't get his buffs in range when he tunneled up turn 1. He charged my unit of 30 sisters of slaughter and thanks to my reroll saves triumphs and some hot rolling, I only lost 8. My entire army spent the next turn fighting that one unit of berzerkers and I was able to bounce from one unit to the next over the course of the game thanks to how spread the objectives are in this mission. My heartrenders were able to snag the primary objective turn 2 from him which turned the game in my favor, and there was one objective he could never reach thanks to his slow movement, which made the choice of which objective to nominate to be his primary easy. I got an insurmountable lead by turn 3, got both of my auxiliaries, and kept him from getting one of his.

I won, with a single point separating 1st from 2nd and 2nd from 3rd. Playing fyreslayers twice wasn't ideal, as i think they arent a great matchup for us. They do the same thing we do, but better. Getting a mission that spread the objectives wsy out game 3 helped a lot against them. Theyre quite difficult to deal with in games like knife to the heart where they just need to be in one place. Im a big fan of forcing the hand. It was a fun mission and having such limited deployment led to some actual strategy in movement, since you can't just close the gap in one round easily. Now im praying for covid to settle so big events can get started again. This was a small event but it definitely filled that competitive play void ive been feeling.

Thanks for posting this! Always great to see written battle reports. I am hoping to do a few tournaments this year with my IDK. On a side note by god are DOK expensive lol. I will be doing a list like yours I believe and my wallet is already sad. And because DOK are such a niche faction there is not a lot of used stuff floating around. 

32 minutes ago, NkfPanda said:

Thanks for posting this! Always great to see written battle reports. I am hoping to do a few tournaments this year with my IDK. On a side note by god are DOK expensive lol. I will be doing a list like yours I believe and my wallet is already sad. And because DOK are such a niche faction there is not a lot of used stuff floating around. 

Yes daughters are prohibitively expensive. Easily the most expensive faction I've played in aos.