AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

20 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Anyone know John Howard? another DOK player for LVO

Dont know him, but I recognize 3 other names on the list who play daughters. Dont know if they are playing them at lvo, but I recognize Jais wattula, kurt roeper, and Anthony lawrence as DoK players. Only have ever played with Anthony myself. 

• Like 1

My local Warhammer store is running a Meeting Engagements league next month and I've been thinking of participating. I haven't played this game mode before but I've read up on the gist. I'm wondering what a solid force might look like in this format. From earlier posts in the thread, I've gathered that Lifetakers are actually worth bringing due to their speed and the size of the board in ME, particularly when buffed by a Hag Queen. 

7 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Whats good tactics vs FEC? Sadly not played vs them yet as not hugely popular around here

Difficult question. FEC can build a few ways, but I think you're likely to run up against at least one king on terrorgheist regardless of the build. If this is the case, making sure that the big scary cant get to your general is paramount. If that can be done, you're actually not too bad off, since they typically run a lower model count army and you have good defense against the mortal wounds they are looking to throw about. 

Things to watch out for are the summoning from the heroes to cap objectives in poorly defended areas, their ability to quickly redeploy due to their good movement with their monsters and flayers, and bravery debuffs if they are playing flayer spam. We do alright against flayer shooting if it is stock standard, but the number of wounds they can put out once they start stacking minuses to bravery through horrorghast, grim Garland, and any other shenanigans they may have pulled is pretty hard to manage even with the hag nar crutch.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Chumphammer said:

Anyone play vs the new ogre mawtribe? anything to look out for? tips vs them?

I haven't played against them, but I've played with them.
Be aware when planning out Mindrazor plays that anything with the Ogor keyword gets +2 Bravery whilst within 3" of an enemy model, so against a lot of stuff you won't be able to get the bonus damage (which might prove troublesome given the number of wounds you have to chew through!)
If you can fight on your terms it's not an army with a lot of good armour saves, so traditional weight of attacks should work, but they can be quite fast (averaging an 8" move on most actual Ogor models).
Stonehorns function as both relatively quick combat monsters and one of the more durable pieces in the book (3+/5++ often with ethereal),  and they count as 10 models for stealing objectives, also be aware that one of the sub-factions adds a CA which lets monsters fight at their top profile regardless of wound count.)
Erm, probably most competitive Ogor lists will be using an ambushing hunter + cats in some capacity, obviously watch your backfield objectives, but also note that the cats get +3 to charge and a stackable CA gives them +1A each, their attacks aren't incredible, but enough to take out an unprotected Hag Queen.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 10:51 AM, Avindskjold said:

My local Warhammer store is running a Meeting Engagements league next month and I've been thinking of participating. I haven't played this game mode before but I've read up on the gist. I'm wondering what a solid force might look like in this format. From earlier posts in the thread, I've gathered that Lifetakers are actually worth bringing due to their speed and the size of the board in ME, particularly when buffed by a Hag Queen. 

If you want to be ultra competitive, field Morathi in Meeting Engagement, she is near impossible to be killed. Due to how your forces are deployed in turns, Khailebron and Draichi Ganeth are actually better temples in ME format.

Spearhead

• 2 x 5 Khinerai Lifetakers/Heartrenders

Mainbody

• Morathi
  • Hag Quen (General)
  • 10 Witch Aelves w Dual Knives

Rearguard

On 1/9/2020 at 3:53 AM, Chumphammer said:

Whats good tactics vs FEC? Sadly not played vs them yet as not hugely popular around here

Also remember to bankai Morathi and have her go Terrorgheist hunting. Despite the Always Strike First nerf, they still can output a obscene amount of mortal wound and fight twice in combat with Feeding Frenzy. Seeing 20+ Mortal Wounds being reduce to 3 wounds on Morathi is pretty much a downer for any FEC player.

Been a long time since I posted in this thread, mostly due to me putting my DoK on hold on focusing more on my other two armies (BoC and CoS). Recently I picked up some more snake girls (the nice looking Nagalith from Raging Heroes) I decided to restart my DoK army project. Especially after the price decrease to Stalkers which I do quite like.

I`ve been wondering how viable is a Temple Nest centric army these days ? Especially with stuff like Slaanesh and Bonereapers out there. Since I do like both the snake ladies and the harpies quite a lot and cant be bothered to do 60+ Witches/SoS  (have only 20 painted and I am hard pressed to get more of them done ugh...)I`ve been thinking of focusing more on those in (to save time and preserve my mental state from not painting another mass infantry focused army :D ).

This is what I have been thinking of running, if you could let me know how viable this list is. 

1x Medusa on Bloodwrack Shrine

1x Bloodwrack Medusa

2x Hag Queen

2x10 Blood Sisters

2x5 Blood Stalkers

1x30 SoS with Daggers / or 1x10 SoS and an allied War Hydras to go along the serpentine theme

10x Khinerai Heartrenders

Temple Nest Battalion

1950 points (1940pts if we go with the Hydra), leaving me open with either a free CP or a an Endless spell (Was thinking about Balewind Vortex. I know that DoK love the Chronomantic Cogs play, but with two Casters this one doesnt seem all that bad, sitting the non shrine Medusa on top of it might and throwing Pit of Shades at people across the board is quite tempting :P )

So what do you think ? Viable ? Maybe drop the Hydra and upgrade the second Medusa to another Bloodwrack shrines ? I wanna avoid the usual infantry spam if possible. Doesnt need to be super competitive, thats not my intention, but hopefully it should be able to to take on the challanges of modern power creep and still be fun. 

Edited by Myrdin

2 hours ago, Myrdin said:

Been a long time since I posted in this thread, mostly due to me putting my DoK on hold on focusing more on my other two armies (BoC and CoS). Recently I picked up some more snake girls (the nice looking Nagalith from Raging Heroes) I decided to restart my DoK army project. Especially after the price decrease to Stalkers which I do quite like.

I`ve been wondering how viable is a Temple Nest centric army these days ? Especially with stuff like Slaanesh and Bonereapers out there. Since I do like both the snake ladies and the harpies quite a lot and cant be bothered to do 60+ Witches/SoS  (have only 20 painted and I am hard pressed to get more of them done ugh...)I`ve been thinking of focusing more on those in (to save time and preserve my mental state from not painting another mass infantry focused army :D ).

This is what I have been thinking of running, if you could let me know how viable this list is. 

1x Medusa on Bloodwrack Shrine

1x Bloodwrack Medusa

2x Hag Queen

2x10 Blood Sisters

2x5 Blood Stalkers

1x30 SoS with Daggers / or 1x10 SoS and an allied War Hydras to go along the serpentine theme

10x Khinerai Heartrenders

Temple Nest Battalion

1950 points (1940pts if we go with the Hydra), leaving me open with either a free CP or a an Endless spell (Was thinking about Balewind Vortex. I know that DoK love the Chronomantic Cogs play, but with two Casters this one doesnt seem all that bad, sitting the non shrine Medusa on top of it might and throwing Pit of Shades at people across the board is quite tempting :P )

So what do you think ? Viable ? Maybe drop the Hydra and upgrade the second Medusa to another Bloodwrack shrines ? I wanna avoid the usual infantry spam if possible. Doesnt need to be super competitive, thats not my intention, but hopefully it should be able to to take on the challanges of modern power creep and still be fun. 

My initial thoughts when starting this army mirror yours. I love the snakes and harpies and am lukewarm at best on the elves. My experience was quickly that the stalkers are the standout poor unit in our book and remain so even after the points drop. On the plus side, medusas and blood sisters are definitely valuable. To build a snake only army and have it be successful seems rather difficult however. You just cant get the bodies to have any kind of board presence. 

So onto your list. First, I'd ask what temple you plan on running. Hag nar is the typical go to, but I think both draichi ganeth and khailebron have potential with the style you have going. Thatll also help determine what command abilities and artifacts you have to take, as well as what prayers you'll want to have. For example, I'd never play hag nar without blessing of khaine on a hag, and I give the iron circlet to that hag to help get the prayer off, but I prioritize catechism of murder with a draichi ganeth list. 

As to specifics on units, I'd suggest the unit of 30 SoS every day of the week. I dont like the elves, but I'd be lying if I said they arent incredible. Theyre incredibly fast with their run and charge and the 6 inch activation let's them retreat and pile into a different unit that same turn. Then I'd actually make your snakes a unit of 15 and a unit of 5. This way you have one unit be a scarier threat that benefits more from buffs and you still have a smaller unit to hold backfield objectives. Now you have a block of elves that can destroy chaff and a block of snakes that can chew through armor. Heartrenders are incredible and often outright win me 2 games out of a 5 game event all on their own. I recommend making them two squads of 5 for extra flexibility and threat potential. This gives you the potential to sneak onto your opponents backfield objectives in 2 locations andbgives you two shots at the 6 inch move after shooting. Forcing your opponent to account for this often greatly messed with their gameplan. 

If you go khailebron, I'd keep the extra 50 points for a CP. That way you'll have one in case you take first turn casualties and need to inspiring presence them, while still having a CP in the pocket to teleport across the board. If not, there isnt much harm in grabbing an endless spell. Especially early game, once you cast mindrazor, there isnt much else you'll want to cast. Balewind isnt bad, though it does force your foot medusa to sit in the back. I actually like soulsnare shackles as a turn 1 play. Throw them across the board and either force your opponent to dispell instead of cast something, or you get to block them and reduce their movement with a chance for mortal wounds too. Quicksilver swords is also a nice utility piece to have in your back pocket in case you need to ping a couple wounds off something turn 2 or 3. I think any of those would slot nicely into a snake heavy list.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the fairly extensive answer @Graywater good to see I am not the only one tempted to this army by its charming monster girls! I wish I had Morathi in a playable state (as in out of the sprue, assembled and painted... so the full 9 yards :D ) as that is one hell`u`va miniature.

I am well aware that the Archer girls are not really a good deal, even despite their points now being at -40 of their original price back when the book launched. But they are still required for the Temple Nest setup and heck I really like them. All my Snakes have magnetized arms and heads (the GW ones at least, the Nagaliths are the "easy to build, just glue two parts togather" type) just so I can experiment with the Stalkers in greater numbers. To bad to hear that they are still not worth their points. I suppose a Warscroll update is in order since you are at half the shots other regular shooting units have (best comparison to them in price but double the output would be the CoS Shadow Warriors) and that seems to hurt them a lot, especially since their MW attack stops the attack sequence instead of just adding onto it.

I see so the Sisters should be run in units of 15. Hmm I always thought its better to have two units of 10 rather than the 15 and 5, seeing as Stalker can sit on the objectives instead of them. But I get where you`re coming from so I suppose its worth considering.

While I do adore the idea of running a War Hydra just for the theme, I guess dropping it in order to beef out that one unit to 15 and use the extra points to up something else might be allright.

Regarding the temples I am a well aware that Hag Narr is the "boring but reliable" go to for many players due to its defensive buff. I personally do like the +1 To Hit  from Draichi Ganeth, but that Might not work so well with Snakes since they dont have Run and Charge unlike the Elves. Plus it might require the Cogs to get this buff reliably.

I must say I am quite intrigued by the Khaliebron one. Especially since my DoK are all desert themed, even down to the bases, with nice tanned, chocolate colored bodies mmmm mmmm delicious :D  Ok but srsly now. I find that the overall benefits of Khaliebron temple are fairly solid. Bonus against shooting and the option to "hop" your Bloodwrack shrine forward right up your opponents back line, while the second Shrine can roll for Steed of Shadows to get there and double the MW output seems like a legit strategy.  And I think like the big Snakes unit could also benefit from that ability as well.

In terms of Harpies, I Absolutely love the miniatures and wanted to run big flocks of 10 to 20 of them and just hammer your opponent with death from above. Hell, last time I`ve seen infantry sized models with such fine wings was back in the day when Dark Eldar Scourges released their current kit. Best looking winged infantry until the Khirenai made their appearance.

Now in terms of Witch elves vs SoS. Due to the WE price hike the SoS seem to be better in general now due to their 2" range. But what about MSU ? I know that current rule set doesnt really do well with MSU units and while there are exceptions, its not really that valued of a strategy. But the WE with sacrifical daggers can put out ridiculous number of attacks, so even that one small unit of 10 can pose a threat. Skip around the battlefield and draw fire away from your other stuff as you cant just ignore them when a single spell can turn that small unit into a meat grinder. 

For artifacts I quite like the Wizad one > Crystal Heart for the option to double cast each turn coupled with True Believer trait to get the benefits from Blood Rites sooner. Though I think that one is better suited when running 2 Bloodwracks.  

With a Shrine I would go with Bathed in Blood for that passive regeneration and maybe Thousand and One Dark Blessings (though this would be better with the Cauldron than the Medusa shrine). Crone blade might also work to for their spear and with one Haq Queen running the healing prayer I guess you could keep your shrine relatively healthy ?  The other would be running Catechism and fish for those 6 to hit.

At least thats the general idea I have about this whole thing :) 

On 1/10/2020 at 3:53 AM, InSaint said:

If you want to be ultra competitive, field Morathi in Meeting Engagement, she is near impossible to be killed. Due to how your forces are deployed in turns, Khailebron and Draichi Ganeth are actually better temples in ME format.

Spearhead

• 2 x 5 Khinerai Lifetakers/Heartrenders

Mainbody

• Morathi
  • Hag Quen (General)

Rearguard

I'm tempted to plop Morathi on the table and watch her shrug off whatever comes her way, but I'm also not keen on the infamy it would get me. 😅 I don't own the model either, so there's that. 

What I could do instead is take along 5 blood sisters to mince other MSUs and either a slaughter or hag queen on a cauldron.  

Just came 3rd in a 30 man event this weekend. Lost on table 1 round 5 to a slaves to darkness army that focused on disallowing me to do things using kairos, be'lakor, and a spell that prevents you from moving. Then he just stacked the nurgle daemon prince command ability a few times per turn on one of his 3 units of marauders (who thought that ability should stack?), teleported to whatever unit of mine he wanted to die, nearly autocharged (the only way to fail a 9 inch charge is to roll snake eyes. Again makes me ask who thought of this) and made my unit slap itself to death. Still, game was maybe the closest game I've ever had and I was a single chaos warrior away from winning the event. Other armies I played were a trogg based gloomspite force, beastclaw, berserker swarm and gotrek fyreslayers, and summoning seraphon. But fair warning to everyone out there- until that command ability is faq'd watch out for it! It's absolutely brutal. hallelujah, its been fixed!

Also, please dont take this as whining. I had a great time and he was a good opponent. Just wanted to share this (unfortunate) discovery I've made. 

edit: jubilation for a slightly too late FAQ

Edited by Graywater
  • Like 4

#AOSLVO2020 Factions submitted:

14: OBR
 10: FEC
9: MAW
 7: BOK
6: GGitz
 5: ScE, StD, Ska, CoS, FS, HoS
4: BigWaa, IJ, Seph, DoK, Syln
 3: NH, MoN, BoC
 2: BS, KO, DOT (Both old books)
1: SB, LoB, LoA, Disposessed, LoG

DOK players:
Kurt Poeper
John Howard
Dale Johnson
Anthony Lawrence 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Graywater said:

Just came 3rd in a 30 man event this weekend. Lost on table 1 round 5 to a slaves to darkness army that focused on disallowing me to do things using kairos, be'lakor, and a spell that prevents you from moving. Then he just stacked the nurgle daemon prince command ability a few times per turn on one of his 3 units of marauders (who thought that ability should stack?), teleported to whatever unit of mine he wanted to die, nearly autocharged (the only way to fail a 9 inch charge is to roll snake eyes. Again makes me ask who thought of this) and made my unit slap itself to death. Still, game was maybe the closest game I've ever had and I was a single chaos warrior away from winning the event. Other armies I played were a trogg based gloomspite force, beastclaw, berserker swarm and gotrek fyreslayers, and summoning seraphon. But fair warning to everyone out there- until that command ability is faq'd watch out for it! It's absolutely brutal. hallelujah, its been fixed!

Also, please dont take this as whining. I had a great time and he was a good opponent. Just wanted to share this (unfortunate) discovery I've made. 

edit: jubilation for a slightly too late FAQ

Congrats on 3rd. Yeah, glad that Nugle DP got itself cleaned up

7 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

#AOSLVO2020 Factions submitted:

14: OBR
 10: FEC
9: MAW
 7: BOK
 5: ScE, StD, Ska, CoS, FS, HoS
4: BigWaa, IJ, Seph, DoK, Syln
 3: NH, MoN, BoC
 2: BS, KO, DOT (Both old books)
1: SB, LoB, LoA, Disposessed, LoG

DOK players:
Kurt Poeper
John Howard
Dale Johnson
Anthony Lawrence 

I noticed there was a good number of people that havent registered still. When is the cutoff? 

Also, that's a lot of bonereapers. Last weekend was my first time actually seeing them in action and they are no joke.

Edited by Graywater

15 hours ago, Graywater said:

I noticed there was a good number of people that havent registered still. When is the cutoff? 

Also, that's a lot of bonereapers. Last weekend was my first time actually seeing them in action and they are no joke.

it was midnight last night. Went through again:

LVO BCP Factions:

18: OBR

9: FEC, MAW
7: BOK, Ska, CoS, HoS

5: ScE, FS, BigWaa, DOT

4: StD, IJ, Seph, DoK, Syln, NH, IDK, MoN
3: BoC, BSp

2: KO
1: LoG, SB, LoB, LoA, Disposessed

134/185
51 Missing faction on BCP

From what I can tell so far, Bonereapers are kind of “easy mode” AoS. If you build them right, there’s pretty much no glaring weaknesses, and they have “bad luck protection” for days. I’m hesitant to say something like this, but I’m kind of blown away that the army made it past the play testing phase without anyone saying something....

Im going to a local tournament in my area this weekend, and several previous winners have already moved over to OBR armies.

Edited by Mark Williams

6 hours ago, Mark Williams said:

From what I can tell so far, Bonereapers are kind of “easy mode” AoS. If you build them right, there’s pretty much no glaring weaknesses, and they have “bad luck protection” for days. I’m hesitant to say something like this, but I’m kind of blown away that the army made it past the play testing phase without anyone saying something....

Im going to a local tournament in my area this weekend, and several previous winners have already moved over to OBR armies.

Honestly people said the same thing about DoK players all last year and they do share some similar traits. Both do seem to have incredibly efficient warscrolls that are clear in how they are to function and easy to use effectively. They also both have a clearly most powerful subfaction that can be seen as a crutch. OBR seems rough, but there are answers. Whether every army has access to those answers is a different story entirely. 

So, I have started to look at DoK again. Nobody is playing them in my gaming group. Back when the book was released I know they were strong. Now I don't know. How are they played in competitive enviroments now? Looks like Witch elves/Sisters of slaughter heavy? I prefer snakes and would love to try my old list.

8 hours ago, Amradiel said:

So, I have started to look at DoK again. Nobody is playing them in my gaming group. Back when the book was released I know they were strong. Now I don't know. How are they played in competitive enviroments now? Looks like Witch elves/Sisters of slaughter heavy? I prefer snakes and would love to try my old list.

The army still stands up really well. The elves are generally the primary models in a competitive army, but the blood sisters can certainly do some solid work. You'll almost certainly still be looking at hag nar as a temple. It is still by far our strongest temple and makes our murdery army quite survivable.

I've had a lot of success with a snake and elf hybrid list, coming 5 of 100, 3 of 70, and 3 of 30 most recently. I run a hag on cauldron, medusa, morathi, 30 sisters of slaughter, 10 sisters of slaughter, 20 blood sisters, and 2x5 heartrenders. 

I feel like I have a chance in every matchup I've had. The sisters of slaughter have incredible movement and threat range, and the blood sisters routinely surprise my opponents with how hard they are to put down, and the damage they put out in return. If there is any area I feel we struggle in, it's in high rend and mortal wound output. Outside of snakes, we dont have much of either, and we have been seeing an ever increase in the average armor save of units in the game. Bonereapers in particular I think are going to be difficult for us. Compounding this issue is our lack of ranged damage. For the most part, we can compensate with speed and melee efficiency, but some armies we need to be able to take out key pieces, which can be difficult if they're well protected.

5 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Some pics of my DoK 95% ready for LVO

sorry lighting isnt great

Really cool display board. How do you transport it though? I'm assuming you live within driving distance? I ask because I will be doing some flying to events this year, and have no idea how to get my board there or if i even will be able to.

15 minutes ago, Graywater said:

Really cool display board. How do you transport it though? I'm assuming you live within driving distance? I ask because I will be doing some flying to events this year, and have no idea how to get my board there or if i even will be able to.

No, Flying in from Vancouver BC (I am from Scotland but lived in Canada since 2012)

I have this bag:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NCKSPYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I have warehouse box corners to make a frame inside of it.

The board is cut in half from walls to base, so will put on top of each other against the metal trails and pack with bubble wrap and clothes. The frame should keep it ok. It can get bashed a bit as just Styrofoam so will take pva with me. 

My army will be in 2 KR multi cases. The Cauldron/shrine will be in my carry on back pack and the rest will under the seat in front

DOK LVO Lists

Anthony Lawrence
Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Hagg Nar
- Army Mission: Conserve
Leaders

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
- General
- Trait: Devoted Disciples
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder

Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Crimson Rejuvenation

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor

Battleline

30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- Barbed Whips and Sacrificial Knives

10 x Witch Aelves (120)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

10 x Witch Aelves (120)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade BucklersUnits

20 x Blood Sisters (480)

3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
- Allies

3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (150)
Allies

Total: 1970 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 155

Dale Johnson
- Temple: Hagg Nar
- ARMY MISSION: CONSERVE

LEADERS

Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
- General
- command trait: Devoted Disciples
- Artefact: shadow Stone
- Lore of shadows: Mindrazor

Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (300)

- Prayer: Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (90)

- Prayer: Catechism of Murder

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

- Lore of Shadows: Shroud of despair

Knight-incantor (140)

- allies

BATTLELINE

30 x Sisters of Slaughter (300)
- barbed whips and blade bucklers

10 x Witch Aelves (120)

- Pairs of scrificial knives

20 x Blood Sisters: (480)

UNITS

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
- allies

ENDLESS SPELLS

Everblaze Comet (100)

TOTAL: 2000/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0
ALLIES: 250/400
WOUNDS: 132

John Howard
- Temple: Hagg NarArmy Mission: Invade

LEADERS

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
- General
- Command Trait : Devoted Disciples
- Artefact : Thousand and One Dark Blessings
- Prayer : Catechism of Murder

Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)
- Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer : Blessing of Khaine

Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer : Sacrament of Blood

UNITS

30 x Witch Aelves (300)