AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

53 minutes ago, Xil said:

What's our answer to a healing Stardrake with 1+ Save? 

Keep in mind it rerolls saves of 1 and every successful reroll will inflict a mortal wound on the attacking unit. 

Morathi with Mindrazor.

Keep in mind you don't always need to kill something to win. You can use her to tarpit just about anything while the rest of your army go on a mad rampage. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:39 PM, InSaint said:

Morathi with Mindrazor.

Keep in mind you don't always need to kill something to win. You can use her to tarpit just about anything while the rest of your army go on a mad rampage. 

Is there a solution outside of Morathi?

I know I can ignore and tarpit units, I am just asking for situations and missions where this isn't possible. 

Tarpitting the unkillable stardrake is your best bet for the most part, its damage output is not huge as big monsters go.  It is possible to take it out with Blood Sisters under quite specific circumstances (Mindrazor, re-roll hits, Catechism of Murder, winning turn priority for Ogy of Slaughter, etc.) but it's not an ideal match-up by any means and I cannot recommend it as a reliable counter. 

Most of the time feed it chaff/tarpit pieces  and keep it occupied whilst you win the game elsewhere, do note that the +1 save is coming from a much more vulnerable target, if you can kill the Castellant off the Stardrake is much more vulnerable.  Obviously this becomes trickier on missions like Duality of Death, if a Stardrake gets to sit on an objective before you try not to waste too many resources trying to remove it if that will cost you the game in the end.

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Is the Cauldron hero box just permanently out of stock? Not sure I’ve ever seen it available on the GW store.

Depends on the region and if you're looking at GW or 3rd party stores. DoK are popular and the kit does sell out fairly fast, esp as its the only source of leaders (save morathi) for the whole army. So its got a lot going for it esp as DoK likes to have a good few leaders around at once. Use the "email me" on the GW webstore. GW will contact you and also uses it to bump highly requested models up the line when casting. 

• Like 1

I have played with them a bit (though they don't tend to make the cut in my more competitive lists).
They suffer a little from being situated as a jack-of-all-trades unit without being as good in most aspects as other units in the book can offer, and they are priced quite highly because of that.

That said a unit of 10 can be fun in Khailebron for a cheeky teleport to snipe out a support hero with the high power doombolt (and with a large unit like that you can set them up in such a way to take up a lot of room on the board, as well as snaking out to snag stuff like arcane terrain or remain within the Cauldron aura, etc.)  They do have one of the better armour saves in the book,  so you can almost use them as a highly mobile, large footprint screen, but Khinerai are cheaper and I would say probably do the job better for the most part.

Smaller squads can be interesting back-up casters, though most of the DoK spells you would want to be casting are not reliable without casting bonuses, and they are serviceable as fast objective grabbers that your opponent will often ignore (though, again, min size Khinerai squads can do the same thing for cheaper).

For me they're just a little too expensive for what they provide in a crunchy competitive setting, but I've had fun with them in more casual environments.

Edited by Lucentia
  • Thanks 1

So, I went to my 1st 2day AoS tournament at the weekend (Kippers Melee 2019) which had 36 sign up

My army can be seen here:

Game 2: Gloomspite gitz – Places or Arcane Power

Skragott, the loonking - General, hand of gork
Fungoid Shamen (great green spite)
Loonboss on mangler squig (gryph feather charm)
2x60 Stabbas with 9 nets (shields)
20 Shootas
2 x 5 Fanatics
10 Boingrot Bounderz
Morks Mighty mushroom

My only loss, I destroyed him down to the shaman/30 stabbas. My mistake was charging Gotrek and Morathi onto Skragott, but I should have charged morathi 1st so when Skragott died she coulda stayed and Gotrek go after the last stuff, as his damage is far superior. Meant bottom of turn 4 I have 2 points held, but only for 2 turns and 3 turns, and he had his last one for 4 turns (plus the other two for two)

Meant if he won priotiry, he wins. If I won, he loses as Gotrek rips through the unit and kills the shaman (or Morathi magics it, Lifetakers get them)

He won the roll and won the game.

Game 3: Sylvaneth – Winterleaf – Blood and glory

Alarielle the everqueen – Throne of vines
Branchwraith – Verdurous Harmony
Arch Revenant – General, My heart is ice, Frozen Kernal
Treelord Ancient – Etheral Amulet, Regrowth
3 x 5 Spite Revenants
6 Kurnoth Hunters – Scythes
5 Tree Revenants
Outcasts
Extra command point

Morathi went forward and hit right into Alarielle, shooting off the branchwraith with luck. Morathi managed to lock her into combat till the sos arrived to finish her off. Gotrek threatened the other flank while the witch aelves held the other two points. Game ended top of turn 3 when Gotrek pushed the last points and wiped it out with 5 Cannaries dropping to help add bodies

Game 4: Slaanesh – Godseakers (eeeeeg) – Starstrike

Keeper of Secrets: General, Thrill seeker, Sinistrous hand, Ghyrstrike, Progeny of damnation
Keeper of Secrets: Living whip, Entangling blade, slothful stupor
Infernal Entrapuress: cameo of the dark prince
Infernal Entrapuress
30 Daemonettes
20 Daemonettes
10 daemonettes
Epicurean Revellers
Supreme Sybrarites
Extra command point

This…did not go as I expected. I went 1st, Throwing Morathi and 10 WE into 10 Daemonettes and an entrapuress and killing them, while buffing the SOS and setting up a we wall in front of them with Gotrek slightly behind that line, bracing for the charge. His 20 Daemonettes hit my WE line, His kipper hit the sos flank and 30 daemonettes pinched between his 2 units. Luckily, he forgot where gortek was.

He his first with his kipper general, and fluffed, killing 2. Gotrek went next, taking out the whole unit of 20 Daemonettes. This now mean his unit of 30 hard hardly any in combat, but my sos got to pile in 6 and do a lot of damage to both. Next turn Gotrek ran into the 2nd kipper, killing him, while Morathi took out the 2nd entrapuress in the middle. Sos held up the kipper and deamoneetes but being knocked down to 8, but meant on state of turn 3 he only had the kipper on 1 wound and 15 Daemonettes left, surrounded by a full wound cauldron, the ramining sis, lifetakers (to stop summoning) and Gortek running into them. Cauldron pipped the last wound from the Kipper with shooting then gotrek finished the rest. I had all points by this point, so game ended top of round 3….

Game 5: Skaventide – Relocation orb

Grey Seer – Skitterleap
Warlock engineer – Vigordust, More More warp power
Warlock Engineer – More more warp power
Verminlord – General, Master of magic
3 x 20 clan rats
6 stormfiends
1 Warp grinder
Hell Pit Abom
Extra command point
Soulsnare Shackles
Germinids of Uhl-Gysh

I took turn 1, buffing and throwing morathi forwards. I wanted to get her into the stormfriends with her reach 2, but with a reroll charge she couldn’t reach them but could the abom. My army pushed up to take the point. Morathi killed half the clanrats and killed the Abom, but it came back on 3 wounds.

His turn he pushed his warpseer onto the point area but not in combat, and the 2nd unit of clanrats there also. His magic failed big time also. He retreated everything from combat with Morathi. Luckily, he pushed the clanrats too far forwards and into 6” sos pile in, who surged forwards and wiped them out, meaning he failed to take the point for 3.

He then got the double, and hurt me bad. His magic all went off, shackling Gotrek, Germids taking half my army with debuffs and doing some wounds across the board. His shooting then hurt also, taking the cauldron to 6 wounds, killing 1 unit of 10 witch aelves and 6 sos. His warpseer went into Morathi doing 3 wounds for only 3 back (damn Germids)

My turn saw me fail to unshackle Gotrek. I pulled my SOS towards the new obj location *which had landed on my cauldron* Morathi hit some more wounds of the warpseer but again she pretty much fluffed.

I won priority turn 3, and let him go first to ****** him on points (as at this point it was 4-0 on VPs) as the orb went back to the center

he made me suffer for it, taking out 10 SOS and killing the Cauldron. He pulled his warpseer out of combat and onto the point with 10 Clanrats helping hold it.
My turn 3, Morathi falls back with the remaining SOS and witch elves to deal with 20 clanrats and the greyseer who had teleported to try and take my back line. I unshackled Gotrek, who got into the side of the clanrats, wiping them out and clipping the  warpseer and taking him to 2 wounds. Panicked, in his hit back he fled with the Warpseer, but totally forgot this meant Gotrek was the only one within 6 of the point and handed me 3points! So at this point it was 7 vs 1. This pretty much ended the game but we played on as had time.

Orb went back to where morathi was (now on 3 wounds) and he made me go 1st. Gotrek ran at hiswarp seer but failed to get in. Nothing much happened and I hit 8pts.

His turn he shackles Gotrek again, but loses his last two wounds as the spell hits him also. The abom runs in, killing 5 khinaries that screened Morathi and the WE, and morathi finished off the Abom.

His left the stormfiends and an warlock on one corner of the board, and Gotrek, 2 wound Morathi and 8 WE on the other and a win for DOK

So there we go. Played 3 races I haven’t played before and 2 armies I have only lost against. But 5 really fun games and friendly players.

Depending on LVO scenarios I might actually take a similar list with a few changes since thats its 7-1 and got me a 1st and 2nd 

14 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorthIronjawz said:

Nice showing! Was that out in Nanaimo? Good weekend for Canadian AoS as we had Onslaught here in Edmonton. 

Did having Gotrek change how you played with Morathi in terms of transformation timing? 

AoS is definitely growing in the area. This tournament should have been 36 but we can pull in 40-50 I think for the next event. Plus there are a lot more players in our area just not all attending tournaments.

I played a lot more aggressive with her, getting her into their from lines turn 1 (wither biggest threat or target of opportunity) 

Knowing that Gotrek can be there in 2 turns to kill anything she hasnt yet meant the opponent has to run away or throw stuff in front of him which gives me more to kill. Meanwhile the SoS are flanking around to support 

32 minutes ago, CountryMou3e said:

@Chumphammer can you link the tldr to your list 

tldr?

The list was:

Morathi (Mind Razor)
Gotrek
Hag on Cauldron (Catachism, general, Blood sigil: Blessing of khaine)
30 Sisters of slaughter with Bucklers
10 Witch Aelves with Dagger
10 Witch Aelves with Dagger
5 Life takers
5 Life takers

Everything performed well but I am unsure of the lifetakers. I am thinking 5 warlocks due to
1: Extra dispel
2: 10 Crossbowshots vs annoying things like fanatics
3: 14inch movement w 10 wounds 
4: Actually taking part in the game not just dropping down turn 3+
5: The two spells it offers. 1 being doom bolt but more importantly having the -1/-D3 Bravery can really help atm due to a lot of LD10 things. Having that on a keeper/Warpseer and then Mindrazor on Morathi would be fantastic

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to start up a Path to Glory warband  with a friend and I've been trying to figure out what I want to play.  It occured to me that now is my chance to play the Daughters force I've always wanted to try: a Medusa with Melusai and Khinerai. I'm not a fan of the regular aelves, which frankly I think hinders any full Daughters army I would try to make (which is why I never bothered to collect them).

In short, how do you all think a Melusai and Khinerai -only warband would be?