AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

23 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

Good list. I also think that 20 Snake ladies are superior to Morathi in general. Can you give us more details? Which lists did you encounter? Would you change something in your list? How did Slaughter Troupe exactly help you during the tournament games?

Not played a Tournament with them yet (1st will be Kippers Melee in Nanaimo BC this Oct) But getting practice games in for people going to TShift in the US and Attack X in Kamloops (cant make as I am just back into AOS and need to paint the army)

Background on me: Played to high level for WFB (5th the 1 year I went to Adepticon, top HE at SCGT, went to US masters/ETC for Team Scotland, and 1 - 3 in most Tournaments in PNW. Quick for a break when AoS came out and recently back in 2 months ago. USed to host Chumphammer podcast)

The Snakes are very solid. Even without buffs, they pack a punch, but with buffs they really are durable and pack a punch. I havent lost more than half the unit yet in a fight. 

With the Slaughter Queens command ability, they can really do a number with the extra round of combat (as Can WE)

My SQ has only actually seen combat in 1 game as the WE/Snakes just take out most things as her buffs are more useful

So far I have played AoS 6 times, 4 Major Victories, 1 Minor Victory and 1 Major Loss (totally underestimates SkavenTide more more warp power on Storm Fiends)

With this list, I have played 3 of those games vs different people

Blades of Khorne Mortals - Major V
Free People Gunline - Major V
Blade of Khorne Mortals with BT - Minor V (He got 2 double turns and ended as a draw with 13 VP each, so came down to points killed and he had only killed 850 to my 1600 of his stuff)

6 inch pile in has allowed me to get into combat with Free Peoples without having them stand and shoot on the charge 

best part so far has been to chase down Blade of Khorne characters. Being able to jump out of combat, run and then charge an unsuspecting character is really useful. Even if you dont kill them, they will be able to take focus away as you chase down important characters

Also, if you get caught in an unfavorable combat (like when a BT 6 inch piled into me) being able to run 2 units away from that combat and charge other closer units they could deal with was useful. Meant his BT could only got after 1 at a time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kuma said:

sisters with the 6 inch pile in ability

Just "Dance of Death" Rule

"Sisters of Slaughter can be chosen to pile in and attack in the combat phase if they are within 6" of an enemy, and can move up to 6" when they pile in.

This means you Run the SoS up to 4" of the enemy, then just pile in during the combat phase. Doesnt count as a charge so dosnt set off Free People stand and shoot, or FEC/Slaanesh abilities 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sobakaa said:

If you're talking about locus of diversion it still can be activated, there's nothing about being charged in there and the range is 6".

Yes, But the idea is the SoS are a support unit for Snakes or the Block of WE. So, if they choose to debuff the Bigger unit, this unit can jump in before hand and try and do some damage 1st, as Sisters have a 2" range on their whips can can hit over the other unit

• Like 2

Also even if the SoS do get locused it doesn't matter, cos the Slaanesh hero can only pile in 3" (excepting the Masque) and ideally your unit is more than 3" away, obviously this requires a little bit of canny model positioning due to the Slaanesh command ability to pile in twice, but if you're careful  you can keep your Sisters safe until they can swing in at the end of the combat phase and so some damage.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sobakaa said:

If you're talking about locus of diversion it still can be activated, there's nothing about being charged in there and the range is 6".

Locus of diversion is at the end of the Charge phase, so you can wait for the HoS player to pile-in within 6" of you. But, that requires some on the spot calculations about where to put models. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, Chumphammer said:

Yes, But the idea is the SoS are a support unit for Snakes or the Block of WE. So, if they choose to debuff the Bigger unit, this unit can jump in before hand and try and do some damage 1st, as Sisters have a 2" range on their whips can can hit over the other unit

So if I understand you correctly, you would charge with the Blood Sisters or WE, then with the SoS, attack with the SoS in the hopes to mitigate damage to the Snakes or WE? 

I need to ask because I am a terrible DoK player that loses the majority of my games since I moved to a 2k list. Granted, its a terrible list. 

3 hours ago, RickFlair said:

So if I understand you correctly, you would charge with the Blood Sisters or WE, then with the SoS, attack with the SoS in the hopes to mitigate damage to the Snakes or WE? 

I need to ask because I am a terrible DoK player that loses the majority of my games since I moved to a 2k list. Granted, its a terrible list. 

May I ask what kind of list you are using?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RickFlair said:

Well...yeah.

If they are going to make your WE/Snakes attack after them, you might as well throw in a unit that could take a few of the enemy models out before they can attack. Even if you can kill 1-5 Daemonettes that can really reduce how much you take, or even chip off a attack level from a Kipper

I am not totally convinced if the 20 Blood Sisters are the best way to go. Personally I am working on something like this list:

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
Hag Queen (90)
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
Hag Queen (90)

30 x Witch Aelves (300)
10 x Sisters of Slaughter (120)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (90)
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
20 x Executioners (320)

Slaughter Troupe (130)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

The Mortal wounds output comes from a 20 man unit Executioners plus 5 Blood Sisters, instead of 20 Blood Sisters. Plus a Balewind Vortex helps the Medusa out against close combat assassination and double range on her spells (Mindrazor). The 30 Witch elves are now the primary target for buffs.
What do you think?

34 minutes ago, Kaleun said:

I am not totally convinced if the 20 Blood Sisters are the best way to go. Personally I am working on something like this list:

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)
Hag Queen (90)
Bloodwrack Medusa (140)
Hag Queen (90)

30 x Witch Aelves (300)
5 x Blood Sisters (140)
20 x Executioners (320)

Slaughter Troupe (130)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

The Mortal wounds output comes from a 20 man unit Executioners plus 5 Blood Sisters, instead of 20 Blood Sisters. Plus a Balewind Vortex helps the Medusa out against close combat assassination and double range on her spells (Mindrazor). The 30 Witch elves are now the primary target for buffs.
What do you think?

The problem you have with Executioners is:

1: They will not get the buffs from Prayers or Witch Brew
2: They will not get the buffs from Cauldron (shield  and leadership) and or the ward save. 
3: Exe's have a 1 inch reach and no rend
Now you dont need 20 snakes, thats just something I am loving to use

So, basically you are paying 380pts for a unit thats isnt very good compared to anything else the book can offer (minus maybe bow snakes)

On 2/15/2019 at 10:39 AM, Kaleun said:

Hi Guys,

in this post I would like to discuss with you how the Blood Sisters do, compared to the Executioners of the allied faction Darkling Covens. I have prepared a table for your much valued view:

image.png.fd45c83a8d69e70004d0433ebcec21f7.png

In the table you find a comparison of the basic stats of offensive and defensive capabilities.

Comments on the Blood Sisters:

.) degrade after the second received wound
.) Can be maxed out further to 40 wounds (480 points) compared to the 30 wounds of the Executioners (420 points)
.) Supported with very good DoK Allegiance abilities and buff capabilities
.) Good Movement

Comments on the Executioners:

.) Standard Bearer (+1 Bravery/+2 Bravery if close to Darkling hero) -> Bravery 8
.) Medium class access to Buffs
.) Drummer (Reroll single die for the charge roll)
.) Better Save

Interpretation:

In my personal opinion the numbers of the Executioners are astonishing! The slighly more expensive Executioners put out a huge load of Mortal wounds and seem to be great allies for a DoK army that wishes to have bigger numbers on the Mortal Wound counter per round of combat. However the Snake Ladies offer also a lot, because they are actually open for the allegiance abilities and buffs of the daughters of Khaine which are great. The extra 2 inches more movement are also quite good in a game that is decided in the Movement Phase.

What do you think? Would you include a 20 man unit of Executioners (for 320 points) in your 2000 point DoK roster?

ad 1 and 2: that is indeed the big issue. Maybe the point that makes the Sisters outstanding relative to defence. However didnt you have the problem with the choice which of your units shall receive the buffs from Hag or Cauldron during combat packed rounds? The Exec. are happy with come Command Points and maybe a Arcane Shield, but they dont need much more. 

ad 3: In my experience a rend value would be nice to have, but isnt actually necessary. They throw out a ton of Mortal Wounds. With 20 Exec you are capable of throwing out 14 Mortal wounds on a target, even without buffs. With 20 the range of the weapons wasnt a big problem honestly. With 1" they can hit out of 2 rows. Usually I field them in 2x10 order.

The Battalion (Slaughter Troupe) comes back to mind. We get a additional Command Point for that. Speed is a problem for the Exec. The Command Points would certainly help wouldnt they?

Edited by Kaleun

2 minutes ago, Curzex said:

Hi guys thinking about start DoKe armie but just only snake and harpies theme.

The thing is my group isnt competitive. Is viable play without witchies? Is at least a funny armie? 

Snakes are tough and a viable battleline unit that can hit hard and well. So yep shouldn't have any problems running without witches. Support your snakes with shrines, cauldrons and queens

I see that DoK have not starting collecting thats hurts. 

Other thing i see is the fact that i cant play with morati plus snakes (no battle line).

But love the greece medusae thematic maybee can convert some witchies in statues or something, any ideas?

5 minutes ago, Curzex said:

Other thing i see is the fact that i cant play with morati plus snakes (no battle line).

But love the greece medusae thematic maybee can convert some witchies in statues or something, any ideas?

You can, you just don't make Morathi your general, she doesn't have to be the general. So set a Bloodwrack as the general of the army and have Morathi there because she's keeping an eye on her pet snake general

1 hour ago, Curzex said:

Hi guys thinking about start DoKe armie but just only snake and harpies theme.

The thing is my group isnt competitive. Is viable play without witchies? Is at least a funny armie? 

Could do:
Khailebron
Bloodwrack Shrine (General, Shadow Stone, Mindrazor)
Hag Queen (Catachism)
Hag Queen on Cauldron of blood (Sacrament of blood or Blessing of khaine)
20 Blood sisters
5 Blood sisters
5 Blood Sisters
5 Blood Stalkers
5 Blood Stalkers
5 Khinerai Heartrenders 
5 Khinerai Heartrenders 
Temple Nest
Balewind Vortex

5 drops
Shrine for extra wounds on general, balewind to help keep her alive as she can be closer to the fight 
Use the Khailebron ability to drop units of 5 snakes around to be annoying while the big unit pushes forwards with the cauldron in support.

Could convert the hag queens into snake headed models (like the followers of Set in Conan) or give them wings for looking like Khinerai

Not the most competitive list, but all snakes and harpies 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curzex said:

My DoK army is build around a core of a Hag-Narr Bloodwrack Shrine (for that 5+ FnP) two units of Blood Sisters and a few Heartrender. Melusai and Khinerai are strong units on their own and you can definitely field an army based around them but I think at least one or two Hag Queens are necessary. The witch brew and catechism of murder are just too good on a unit of Blood Sisters. 

Morathis command ability is nice but I think the warlord traits make up for that. 

59 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

About to run my first 2k with DoK. How does this list fair? It's based off my collection but I could buy one or two more boxes in the meantime if it would make a big difference.
image.png.fce40c92f11ca5510870364a1edfaed8.png

Why the two cauldrons? Bloodshield doesnt stack? 210pts could be used to make one of the units of 10 into a 30

3 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Why the two cauldrons? Bloodshield doesnt stack? 210pts could be used to make one of the units of 10 into a 30

I do not currently have enough models to make a second unit of 30. I thought I could use the cauldrons to pressure separate parts of the board to play the objectives. If this is a bad plan though I can commit to buying more bodies and taking a Bloodwrack Shrine instead.