AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 hours ago, Lucentia said:

h, I almost forgot to post this in here, I have finished my Aqshy-themed Daughters of Khaine collection, currently sitting at 4440 points (until the GHB drops...) with at least one of every warscroll represented.  (I don't have any Witch Aelves with shields, but I also don't want to paint any more witch hair, so that's fine by me!)

For me DoK is one of those armies that just clicks with you, I started collecting them pre-battletome, and the release of the new models only cemented them as my favourite AoS faction, everything about them just works for me.  And I won't say that being the premiere top-tier book for a while didn't hurt, normally my armies are less spectacular in getting game results, but I took them to tourneys before we had a book, and I'll take them to tourneys even if they're not storming the top tables.

Here's a little video of my stuff:

New Project1.mov 217.72 MB · 7 downloads

Also the next Warhammer Champions TCG set includes DoK, and I am unreasonably excited in that announcement!

Wow, really amazing. The burning steers are amazing!

Time to plant my own butt and paint more ;D

ArchWarlock (more more warp power)
Verminlord Warpseer (Master of magic, Suspicious stone)
Grey Seer (Warpgale)
Deathmaster
3 x 20 Clan rats
2 x Hell pit abominations 
6 x storm friends (2 Gatling, 2 mortar, 2 fist)
Endless spell: Malevolent maelstrom

Mainly dealing with the Warpseer and Stormfriends 

You don't see Stormfiends popping up in too many Skaven lists, but I still contend they're a pretty juicy option all things considered.  The ratling guns are short ranged (18" total after movement), but they will shred just about anything the hit if all the buffs go off, so you'll want to try and stay out of range until absolutely necessary (just beware of Gnawhole shenanigans).  The mortars  are trickier, with a large range and ignoring line of sight they're very dangerous to hags and medusa, or really anything if the buffs are up.  Khailebron can actually be useful here when coupled with Look out, Sir! but obviously is less effective overall defense than Hagg Nar.  If you can kill the single Archwarlock the Stormfiends become much less dangerous, but I recognise that is not an easy prospect.  If you can get monster Morathi up in the Stormfiend's grill it's a done deal, she should be able to tie up all that damage long enough for you to cover the distance.

The issue I have when fighting Skaven is having something throwaway to clear out clanrat screens whilst keeping enough of my forces  out of the danger of their guns and countercharges.  I've had some luck using Lifetakers, strangely enough,  with Witchbrew and Catechism they can clear 20 clanrats on average, and larger squads with Mindrazor, or they can even charge over the screens to try their luck against bigger targets if you get lucky.

The two casts of Warpgale is a real pain and I would aim to unbind that wherever possible, or the Khailebron teleport could be used to mitigate the reduced movement you'll suffer.  Try not to focus too much on the Warpseer, with all its defenses it takes a lot to bring one down,  it's combat threat is fairly limited as big monsters go.

Skaven are a tough match for DoK in my opinion, make sure you plan your movements carefully, try and keep out of range of the Stormfiends until you're certain you can take them out.  Morathi is a valuable boon in soaking up their high damage if you run her as a distraction, but try not to get her bogged down in clanrats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lucentia said:

The mortars  are trickier, with a large range and ignoring line of sight they're very dangerous to hags and medusa, or really anything if the buffs are up.

Mortars don't have the Skaventide keyword so if they use them they lose their allegiance abilities, spell lores etc. 

So if they bring mortars rejoice as the game just got a lot easier (yeah the units they were selling a couple of years ago in an Age of Sigmar branded box now destroy your army). 

Edited by MrZakalwe

Hey beautiful people.  

I've just come into possession of 40 unbuilt snakes.  I'm a total daughters noob. 

Can someone please give me a clue on how to run as many snakes as I can. I'm a pretty competitive type,  but I still go with the rule of cool as much as possible. 

I also got 10 flying girls and a cauldron. 

Thanks for any help provided.  

On 6/16/2019 at 5:27 PM, InSaint said:

Hey guys, based on some initial play testing with the new Meeting Engagement Rules and points.

This is my first impression of how DoK performs in the 1000pts Meeting Engagement.

Factors to consider

1. Reduced board size
  2. Army forces splitting up
  3. Different deployment timings
  4. Varied deployment locations along different edges
  5. High emphasis on MSU (minimum squad size)
  6. Meta seems to revolve around Glass Cannons blowing each other up

Temple Tiers & Reason

1. Draichi Ganeth - Essentially the board size is reduced so you can easily get a charge in and almost always enjoy the +1.
  2. Hag Narr - Still good but since timing and location deployment of Spearhead/Main/Rearguard is mixed up depending on battleplan, your General might not always come out at the start of the first turn. You forces will also split up and cannot always enjoy the 5+ FNP 7" from the General. The re-rolls to hit on T3 is also great but because of the deployment,  you are not able to field max witches with the typical synergy to last long enough for T3.
  3. Khailebron - Situational. Because board is reduced there are some limitation on being able to teleport (you have to be 9" away from enemy and enemy board edge). Will be useful against shooting but since board is so small, a lot of shooting units don't get much mileage before you can engage them in close combat. A possible way to play this is to make your Hag Queen the General and teleport her around to give Witch Brew.
  4. The Kraith - If you are lucky play this.

Tier 1 Units

• Witch Aelves - No brainer. Despite the points hike to 120pts, they are still a beast. 
  • Hag Queen - Essential unit, 90pts is still a great bargain for Witch Brew and Catechism of Murder.
  • Khinerai Lifetakers - This is a surprise. Due to their mobility, they become phenomenal. At 80pts, they can easily wipe out 60% of any MSU, battle shock will do the rest.
  • Blood Sisters - 5 is enough to wipe out almost anything at MSU. Almost essential to handle any high save targets. Recommend to bring 5.

Tier 2 Units

• Morathi - Expensive and because of the changing deployment timing and location, she can become a big hit or miss. If she comes in at the end of Turn 1 or Turn 2, she runs the risk of suffering wounds in her humanoid state which is not optimal. But she is very difficult to deal with in a 1000 pts game. 
  • Medusae on foot (with Shadow Stone) - Mindrazor. With emphasis on MSU, she is also less prone to dying immediately in combat.
  • Sisters of Slaughter - Great but Witch Aelves are still better especially w Draichi Ganeth
  • Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood - No pts hike (hurray!) and you can bypass the Draichi Ganeth tax on Slaughter Queen artefact. You likely need to give it Themalrider Cloak for +4" movement and fly,  otherwise it has movement issues.

Tier 3 Units

• Bloodwrack Shrine - This is viable with the right setup. Cast Steed of Shadows and you have a flying 16" shrine that deals reasonable high amount of MW. The Aura of Agony works well with the prevalence of  MSU.  
  • Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood - This is viable if played as a rape train. Don't expect it to be a buffer but a killer. But if you are playing Draichi Ganeth, you are forced to take a sub-par artefact. The Orgy of Slaughter is kind of useless in meeting engagement because most MSU just die off as soon as they get into combat with us.
  • Khinerai Heartrenders - They got a 10pts hike. But given the reduction in board size, I find it really difficult to outmaneuver enemies w/o engaging in combat.
  • Blood Stalkers - Still mediocre but with the price discount to 140pts and MSU running around, they can actually make an impact on the game. Don't just leave them shooting, send them into close combat if the opportunity arises.
  • Doomfire Warlocks - They are still not worth 160pts. Doomfire is unreliable and degrades to D3 quickly. Their melee and shooting are both mediocre.

Tier 4 Units

• Slaughter Queen on Foot - She moves slowly, is fragile and hits moderately. Command ability is not useful.
  • Avatar on Foot - Really just an iconic figure head.

Hi, I'm new to Daughters and want to build a 1000pt list that will hold its own but I don't necessarily want it to be all powerful as it isn't for tournament play.  I would like to include the models I like the look of more than anything.

I have my eye on the following: Medusa as a general, probably on foot.  I want to include some of the Melusai and i'm guessing the Blood Sisters are the better option? If the Medusae is the general, do I need 2 units of Melusai to fulfil Battleline requirements (sorry, but only just ordered the Battletome and GHB 19)?

I also would like to include some Witch Aelves (I'm assuming standard Aelves are better than the Sisters of Slaughter? What load out is recommended for smaller games?)

And finally I have some Khinerai (enough to make 10).  Do I build them all as Heart renders, or 5 Heartrenders and 5 Life takers? 

That's the start to it.  Any other suggestions?  I like the look of the riders and the Hags too.

4 hours ago, Killamike said:

Hey beautiful people.  

I've just come into possession of 40 unbuilt snakes.  I'm a total daughters noob. 

Can someone please give me a clue on how to run as many snakes as I can. I'm a pretty competitive type,  but I still go with the rule of cool as much as possible. 

I also got 10 flying girls and a cauldron. 

Thanks for any help provided.  

Try the Temple Nest Battalion. It needs 2 Units of Blood Stalkers and Blood Sisters as well as a Bloodwrack Medusa. 

I suggest 2x 5 Stalker and  1x 10 Sisters and 1x 20 Sisters.  Stalkers are kind of just a tax. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Decided to pick up DoK as a secondary army since I played and loved Dark Elves back in 6th ed, and build it up slowly (50€ a month or so). Just ordered the paints I need for a Khelt Nar style color scheme and ordered a box of Sisters of Slaughter.  Looks like I'm going to 2x30 SoS and 1x10 Witches in my final list, but I'm unsure how to equip the sisters. Is Blade Buckler the way to go or are Knives better? Or is better to do one of each? Would be a real pain to remodel them if I make a wacky decision.

Had an idea for this list. No idea if it will work. idea is small units of daughters clear chaff, small units or gang up on bigger ones. Morathi for magic and then to be a pain in the ****** target in bit form. Cauldron and snakes are the main kill units which I can buff the snakes and drop behind the enemy turn 1, then send over the slaughter queen to support also (as both can still charge)

Khinerai's can drop down and take small units, solo weak characters or cap points from behind, or even drop down to block a charge for a counter charge

Khailebron

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron - General
Mistress of Illusion, Crone Blade, Catechism of murder

Hag Queen
Blessing of khaine

Hag Queen
Crimson Rejuvenation 

Morathi - Mind Razor

3 x 10 Witch Aelves

20 Blood Sisters

5 Life Takers

5 heartrenders

8 hours ago, MrZakalwe said:

Mortars don't have the Skaventide keyword so if they use them they lose their allegiance abilities, spell lores etc. 

So if they bring mortars rejoice as the game just got a lot easier (yeah the units they were selling a couple of years ago in an Age of Sigmar branded box now destroy your army). 

Hah, that's what I get for using shorthand, I meant the Windlauncher weapon option for the Stormvermin, which is functionally a mortar, rather than the now defunct mortar warscroll.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aelven supremacy said:

Hey all,   I’m eyeing up Daughters for my second army.  Looking at Witches versus Sisters, choosing Sisters seems a no brainer (especially with slaughter troupe: retreat, run, charge, 6” pile in, 2” reach).  I see most lists use Witches instead though.   What’s the rationale?

You are looking at a trade-off between 1 attack and 6" pile-in.

If you play DoK long enough, the 3 attacks 1" reach on Witches with Shields is far more versatile and deadly as compared to 2 attacks 2" reach on SoS with Shields w 6" pile-in. The synergy from just 1 more attack per model is just too good. You are looking at re-roll exploding hits (Turn 3 Hag Narr and Catechism of Murder), re-roll wounds (Witch Brew) and -1 rend +1 dmg (Mindrazor).

In most cases, Witches will completely decimate anything on a charge and be free to do whatever they want in the next turn.

1 hour ago, InSaint said:

You are looking at a trade-off between 1 attack and 6" pile-in.

If you play DoK long enough, the 3 attacks 1" reach on Witches with Shields is far more versatile and deadly as compared to 2 attacks 2" reach on SoS with Shields w 6" pile-in. The synergy from just 1 more attack per model is just too good. You are looking at re-roll exploding hits (Turn 3 Hag Narr and Catechism of Murder), re-roll wounds (Witch Brew) and -1 rend +1 dmg (Mindrazor).

In most cases, Witches will completely decimate anything on a charge and be free to do whatever they want in the next turn.

Although with the pile in and attack first before anybody else rules some armies like fec have, wouldn’t sisters be better.

I mean a unit of witch aelve charging into a ghoul king on terrorgheist with the special artefact, would get decimated before they even could have been able t attack back.

and a unit of sister could basically just stay 5.99inches away, making it impossible for your enemy to attack first since he isn’t in combat meaning that they have at least a chance of attacking back thanks to their 6inch in combat/pile in

just a thought.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

28 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

and a unit of sister could basically just stay 5.99inches away, making it impossible for your enemy to attack first since he isn’t in combat meaning that they have at least a chance of attacking back thanks to their 6inch in combat/pile in

just a thought.

3.01" is better since you are outside the enemy pile in range and can get more sisters into fighting range. I'm also new to DoK and was looking at SoS over witches for the same reason (that and retreat + run + charge can move you like 24" across the board from combat), but hard to say how they work in practice.

36 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Although with the pile in and attack first before anybody else rules some armies like fec have, wouldn’t sisters be better.

I mean a unit of witch aelve charging into a ghoul king on terrorgheist with the special artefact, would get decimated before they even could have been able t attack back.

just a thought.

I mean you could but we have Morathi for this.

Can you imagine how gratifying it is to watch the FEC player foam with rage when you charge his Ghoul King on Terrorgheist with Morathi in her Shadow Queen form. The sheer frustration when the 20+ Mortal Wounds become 3 Wounds on Morathi and you also deny him the chance to press Feeding Frenzy. You can just chase his general around the board. She will also deny his Unholy Vitality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, InSaint said:

I mean you could but we have Morathi for this.

Can you imagine how gratifying it is to watch the FEC player foam with rage when you charge his Ghoul King on Terrorgheist with Morathi in her Shadow Queen form. The sheer frustration when the 20+ Mortal Wounds become 3 Wounds on Morathi and you also deny him the chance to press Feeding Frenzy. You can just chase his general around the board. She will also deny his Unholy Vitality.

Well morathi is perfect for that, sadly I haven’t met a fec player who only uses 1ghoul king on terrorgheist.

in my area people usually take up to two of them.

making it almost undeniably hard to pin down both 

@Absolution black I think at the moment it’s not as easy to give any final advice on meeting engagements since it’s still fresh and people still need to figure out what’s good and what’s bad. Also I neither own the GHB19 nor have played meeting engagement. That being said, I will still try to answer your questions:

1. If you choose a Medusa (or Bloodwrack Shrine) as your general, Blood Sisters become battleline in addition to Witch Aelves and Sisters of Slaughter. So you can use all three to fill out your battleline requirements.

2. I think both Witch Aelves as well as Sisters of Slaughter are viable, depending on the playstyle. I’d go with what you prefer visually.

3. Normally Heartrenders are seen as the better choice of the two, since they are more reliable and versatile than the Lifetakers. Might be different for meeting engagements, though.

4. If you go for the Medusa as the general without a Shrine keep in mind that she is very squishy. As InSaint pointed out that might not be as much of a problem in meeting engagements as in normal games, but still something to keep in mind imo.

5. So going with InSaint’s first impressions as well as your preferred units I would probably start with something like this:

Bloodwrack Medusa

Hag Queen

Hag Queen

5 Blood Sisters

5 Blood Sisters

10 Witch Aelves

10 Witch Aelves

5 Lifetakers

5 Lifetakers

This should give you enough units to play around with and will bring you up to exactly 1000 pts. I have chosen Lifetakers over Heartrenders here, because they fit into the list very well point wise and seem to be better in meeting engagements. Keep in mind, that if you want to build up to 2000 pts. Heartrenders would probably be the better investment, if you don’t want to get both.

@umpac There was a thread on that topic discussing the pros and cons of shields (https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/18324-daughters-of-khaine-witches-and-sisters/). If I remember correctly the consensus was that daggers are better for the alpha strikes, while shields are the better allround choice. I think both loadouts are viable and we see a mix of both in a lot of tournament armies. Ben Savva, who uses big units of Sisters of Slaughter to great success (and, according to his interview to The Honest Wargamer, also thinks they will surpass Witch Aelves in efficiency with the new GHB 😉) uses one unit of each. So I would say that’s not a bad place to start.

@tomcabator15 As already pointed out I can’t give too much advice on meeting engagements. Maybe someone more experienced might help you out. For now I would probably look at InSaint's first impressions for what to take in your list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1