AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The GW warscroll cards actually have a little token sheet for the Blood Rites table, I think they're out of print now, but I've seen a few still lingering on the shelves in both GW and independent stores, if that suits you.  I have seen some acrylic token sets for DoK available on the internet somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find them now, and I think they were mostly spells/prayer trackers rather than the Blood Rites?  Sorry, not very helpful!

I've got a little 1k tournament coming up, and I've not played at 1k in a long time, so I'm a little torn between two lists at present, any fun suggestions?  Either:

List 1

• Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (Devoted Disciples, Blessing of Khaine, Iron Circlet)
  • Hag Queen (Sacrament of Blood)
  • Bloodwrack Medusa (Mindrazor)
  • 30 Witch Aelves (Daggers)
  • 10x Sisters of Slaughter
  • 5x Heartrenders

List 2

• Bloodwrack Medusa (Devoted Disciples, Mindrazor)
  • Hag Queen (Blessing of Khaine, Iron Circlet)
  • Hag Queen (Catechism of Murder)
  • 30x Witch Aelves (Daggers)
  • 15x Blood Sisters
  • Command Point

Both Hagg Nar, list 1 obviously suffers if anyone has the tools to knock out the Witches (Though the Cauldron can do some work as a secondary damage source it is also a big target in and of itself, obviously.)  Whereas list 2 has no screening elements at all, and misses out on the blood shield, but has more dispersed damage. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 3:38 AM, Ggom said:

Hey folks, been a lurker for a while and recently decided to pick up AoS. I am going with Daughters because the models are beautiful. It’s taking time to paint but honestly it’s really fun painting witch aelves! 6A9994F3-7A66-4884-B0F9-1DF1EF6F2581.jpeg.9c8fdf3b0ea746a1c15b1ee06285e611.jpeg

Question for folks:

I dislike the masks on these girls, IMO the face sculpts are pretty and should not be hidden. Do you think players would mind if I used the aelf faces for units even if they are supposed to be masked? For instance - Sisters of Slaughter would just be witch aelves with whips.

This conversions might be for you. You can combine the SoS Masks with the Witch elve hair.

https://www.webstagram.biz/media/BrcbBc2nPGC

@Lucentia

both lists look great. Personally I would take "List 1" for your tournament. In "List 2" the medusa would be a fairly weak general, while the shrine in List 1 is sturdy and the concept proved itself on several tournaments where DoK where successful. I love both lists though.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mutton said:

Hey, has anyone tried converting 40k Wyches into DoK WE/SoS? They cost half of a DoK box, so for $60 you'd get 20 ladies. I'm just wondering if the sprues are conducive to easy conversions.

Yes that is exactly what I did. You have to use green stuff for the necks though. I like the poses of the wyches a lot! The are different then the regular Witch elves and really complement the looks of my army. The Wych sprue itself is great also with a lot of options. Some cutting is required to get the whips onto the wych models.

1 hour ago, Kaleun said:

@Lucentia

both lists look great. Personally I would take "List 1" for your tournament. In "List 2" the medusa would be a fairly weak general, while the shrine in List 1 is sturdy and the concept proved itself on several tournaments where DoK where successful. I love both lists though.

I would agree  vis a vis the medusa, losing out on the Cauldrons command ability is also a significant factor.  My concern with the first list would be that it is a tough match-up versus any Skaven which bring enough anti-horde to wipe a single witch aelf unit (which is not out of the question given the skaven tome!).  Also I guess both lists will have a tough time versus a Gristlegore general, but I don't think there're many 1k lists that wouldn't!

What do people think about the battalions? Such as Cauldron Guard? I like the idea of battalions but the small unit selection within them seems to force you to take large squads of the same models to use in bigger points games. Eg cauldron guard needs 60 witches and 20 khinerai to fill in points, which prevents me from taking bits of this and that.

I come from the Horus Heresy where we have Rites of War that offer thematic army benefits, but restrict list building (eg. the Night Lords can make their terror squads count as battleline and get some bonuses to cover saves, but they can only take a single heavy unit if they select that rite.) This allows for more flexibility to buy/paint what I want to get 2000 points. AoS battalions seem to pigeon hole me harder into only picking a few units instead, which seems painful if rules/points update annually and also from the perspective of painting the same things and running a samey looking force.

On 4/17/2019 at 6:25 AM, Ggom said:

What do people think about the battalions? Such as Cauldron Guard? I like the idea of battalions but the small unit selection within them seems to force you to take large squads of the same models to use in bigger points games. Eg cauldron guard needs 60 witches and 20 khinerai to fill in points, which prevents me from taking bits of this and that.

I come from the Horus Heresy where we have Rites of War that offer thematic army benefits, but restrict list building (eg. the Night Lords can make their terror squads count as battleline and get some bonuses to cover saves, but they can only take a single heavy unit if they select that rite.) This allows for more flexibility to buy/paint what I want to get 2000 points. AoS battalions seem to pigeon hole me harder into only picking a few units instead, which seems painful if rules/points update annually and also from the perspective of painting the same things and running a samey looking force.

I tried Cauldron Guard yesterday. The Buff the units get doesn't warrant the high cost in my opinion. Also it forces you to take Lifetakers, which apart from the possible objective grapping don't bring anything to the table. Lifetakers have no damage nor the staying power... 

I am not convinced. 

Draichi Ganeth Slaughter Troupe can be quite good fun (Let's you bring 2 units of Witch Aelves in the battalion, and everything can retreat and charge to reapply the DG charging buff) but as a base battalion it's usable but sometimes feels inessential as Sisters of Slaughter and Heartrenders kinda don't need the retreat and charge ability, though it is handy, and I know some Slaughter Troupe lists have done well in tournaments.

Cauldron Guard I actually think is quite good, +1 to run and charge on Witches is no bad thing, you can run max Witches and min Lifetakers and the cost it not too bad, Lifetakers can be a handy drop-down screen and objective snatchers (Though Heartrenders certainly do this job better).  I've been running a cauldron guard list with 2x 10 Lifetakers and I don't dislike them, they're fairly cheap and you can run them as a first wave assault to clear out enemy screens, but that depends on the match-up, they'll tear through 20 Clanrats no problem, but can bounce spectacularly off tougher targets.  On the plus side once they have done their attacks they have that 50/50 shot of hopping back to set up as a screen of their own.   I like them in theory, but I need to try them more before I'm really sold.

Just now, Lucentia said:

Draichi Ganeth Slaughter Troupe can be quite good fun (Let's you bring 2 units of Witch Aelves in the battalion, and everything can retreat and charge to reapply the DG charging buff) but as a base battalion it's usable but sometimes feels inessential as Sisters of Slaughter and Heartrenders kinda don't need the retreat and charge ability, though it is handy, and I know some Slaughter Troupe lists have done well in tournaments.

Cauldron Guard I actually think is quite good, +1 to run and charge on Witches is no bad thing, you can run max Witches and min Lifetakers and the cost it not too bad, Lifetakers can be a handy drop-down screen and objective snatchers (Though Heartrenders certainly do this job better).  I've been running a cauldron guard list with 2x 10 Lifetakers and I don't dislike them, they're fairly cheap and you can run them as a first wave assault to clear out enemy screens, but that depends on the match-up, they'll tear through 20 Clanrats no problem (with Mindrazor...), but can bounce spectacularly off tougher targets.  On the plus side once they have done their attacks they have that 50/50 shot of hopping back to set up as a screen of their own.   I like them in theory, but I need to try them more before I'm really sold.

2 hours ago, Xil said:

I tried Cauldron Guard yesterday. The Buff the units get doesn't warrant the high cost in my opinion. Also it forces you to take Lifetakers, which apart from the possible objective grapping don't bring anything to the table. Lifetakers have no damage nor the staying power... 

I am not convinced. 

Would you not run any battalion then? 

1 hour ago, Lucentia said:

Cauldron Guard I actually think is quite good, +1 to run and charge on Witches is no bad thing, you can run max Witches and min Lifetakers and the cost it not too bad, Lifetakers can be a handy drop-down screen and objective snatchers (Though Heartrenders certainly do this job better). I've been running a cauldron guard list with 2x 10 Lifetakers and I don't dislike them, they're fairly cheap and you can run them as a first wave assault to clear out enemy screens, but that depends on the match-up, they'll tear through 20 Clanrats no problem, but can bounce spectacularly off tougher targets. On the plus side once they have done their attacks they have that 50/50 shot of hopping back to set up as a screen of their own. I like them in theory, but I need to try them more before I'm really sold.

How do you take extra heroes if taking slaughter troupe - doesnt it force extra battle line?

Edited by Ggom

1 hour ago, Ggom said:

Would you not run any battalion then? 

If you would take Lifetakers anyway you can run it. If not, you can take 10 Witch Elves with Bucklers for screening by saving the 100 points on the battalion. And use the at least 160 points from Lifetakers for independent units of Heartrender or get 5 Blood sisters.

It's better me thinks. Unless you want less drops. 

But I am pretty new to DoK myself tho

Edited by Xil

6 hours ago, Xil said:

Going against Nurgle today. Any must haves to include in the list or tipps in general you can give

Nurgle is usually a pretty tough match up. Whenever I face armies that I won't be able to just kill faster than they can kill me, my advice is to focus on the senario. Also, in my opinion it is worth sticking by his trees and taking potential mortal wounds in order to shut down the summoning point generation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, Xil said:

If you would take Lifetakers anyway you can run it. If not, you can take 10 Witch Elves with Bucklers for screening by saving the 100 points on the battalion. And use the at least 160 points from Lifetakers for independent units of Heartrender or get 5 Blood sisters.

It's better me thinks. Unless you want less drops. 

But I am pretty new to DoK myself tho

Are lifetakers not good? Has anyone used them extensively? I’ve seen allusions to them being worse than heartrenders, but am curious by what degree

What are people using to transport their army? I’m planning to have a bunch of witch aelves, khinerai and cauldrons. My current foam solution seems a bit iffy for this. Is anyone using a magnetized solution, and if so, are you placing magnets on the bases of every model or using a magnetized tray and some steel washers on every base?

13 hours ago, Ggom said:

What are people using to transport their army? I’m planning to have a bunch of witch aelves, khinerai and cauldrons. My current foam solution seems a bit iffy for this. Is anyone using a magnetized solution, and if so, are you placing magnets on the bases of every model or using a magnetized tray and some steel washers on every base?

I have a little magnet underneath every base, for larger models I have a bigger magnet or multiple. 

I put a metal sheet on the bottom of the box and it's perfectly fine. All my friends copied my build. 

You can also put thin foam on the side of the box in case you are  driving rough to prevent the models hitting the box. Usually they don't slide around tho. Gotta go 200 kph on the autobahn and suddenly break for that

• Thanks 1

I think Khinerai want to be in foam due to how they are attached to the base via their tails. Even with their base secure the upper model would move around a lot and shake when in transport. They'd be most at risk from either wearing the plastic or getting spines (they've a lot on their wings) entangled with other models leading to scraping or damage. 

Otherwise most of the rest of the range is pretty stable and solid so a metal sheet and magnets would work well for car based transport and carrying. 

On 4/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, Lucentia said:

I've got a little 1k tournament coming up, and I've not played at 1k in a long time, so I'm a little torn between two lists at present, any fun suggestions? 

As a minor update I just wrapped up this mini-tourney and managed to snag 1st place, and best-painted to boot, though there were only 12 competitors so it's hardly representative of my actual tactical acumen, I was lucky not to get drawn against the 60 plague monks and Thanquol list which would've been an uphill struggle!

I played versus the new Khorne twice and a gore-grunta Ironjawz list, pretty fun all round!

When it comes to transporting models I actually tend to just lie them down flat on layers of bubble-wrap in a tool box and I've yet to have anything break, even the Khinerai, I'd be concerned using foam inserts with such spiky models in case they get caught and end up flexing the wrong way.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Overread said:

I think Khinerai want to be in foam due to how they are attached to the base via their tails. Even with their base secure the upper model would move around a lot and shake when in transport. They'd be most at risk from either wearing the plastic or getting spines (they've a lot on their wings) entangled with other models leading to scraping or damage. 

Otherwise most of the rest of the range is pretty stable and solid so a metal sheet and magnets would work well for car based transport and carrying. 

Do you foam transport everything then? Seems a hassle to go half and half

@Xil what is your experience with khinerai on magnets?

Edited by Ggom

@Ggom

I don't have Khinerai with magnets so far. But I feel confident that nothing breaks while transporting, at least not more than with foam when they get all stuck in it. 

If it's just an up and down when driving normally and not intense vibrations it should hold. 

Edited by Xil

Hi everybody,

I'm a new player in Age of Sigmar, and soon, I will go to my first tournament soon with the DOK, my favorite army with the Idoneth Deepkins.

Here my first list, with Morathi, my favorite miniature

- Temple: Hagg Nar

LEADERS

Morathi High Oracle of Khaine (480)

- Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood (330)

- Artefact : Crone Blade
- Prayer : Catechism of Murder

Bloodwrack Medusa (140)

- General
- Command Trait : True Believer - Lore of Shadows : Mirror Dance

Hag Queen (60)

- Prayer : Sacrament of Blood

UNITS

5 x Blood Sisters (140)

5 x Blood Sisters (140)

30 x Witch Aelves (270)

- Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

30 x Witch Aelves (270)

- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 120

Do you think it is a good one ? Do I have some things to change ? The only thing I don't want to change is playing Morathi :)

Thanks !