AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

6 minutes ago, oscswa said:

Anyone noticed in azyr that Morgwaeth is priced at 80 pts and her blade coven is priced at 80 pts? Sounds right but i've also heard people talk about her costing just 80 pts and that her gang would be free. But 160 pts makes sense, no?

Morgwaeth is 80 points but must be taken with her coven. The coven is free - it doesn’t actually cost any points when you add it to a list on Azyr. 

31 minutes ago, Avindskjold said:

Morgwaeth is 80 points but must be taken with her coven. The coven is free - it doesn’t actually cost any points when you add it to a list on Azyr. 

Damn your right, it doesnt add anything to the point tally when I remove or add them. Good :D

6 hours ago, UnholyRevenant said:

How have people painted the endless spells. I've got mine sitting with a friend who does commission work, and I cant decide how to paint the snake. All red with all red blood effects is a tad to much for me. The others I like the stock colour scheme. Just cant decide on the snake.

I just base coated mine in wraithbone. I am going to cover in the blood angels contract, then highlight in a few reds. Then the blood for the blood god glaze to highlight the blood. I want to use resin also to make a pool of blood on both the hand and the snake to make it look like they come from blood 

Frankly I’m not a fan of that much blood with DoK. A little here and there is fine (like little Morathi) but with the new endless spells/prayer everything is literally soaked in blood. Dont get me wrong, the snake and the heart looks great. Just too much gore. Khorne already has it,  could have stayed their motto imho. 

What do you guys think? 

3 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

I just base coated mine in wraithbone. I am going to cover in the blood angels contract, then highlight in a few reds. Then the blood for the blood god glaze to highlight the blood. I want to use resin also to make a pool of blood on both the hand and the snake to make it look like they come from blood 

Wraithbone is good but terrible coverage and too light. I much like grey seer for this reason

On 2/26/2021 at 2:51 PM, 5kaven5lave said:

This is amazing. Prayers are looking so good to me at the moment, I’m very tempted to take Blood Sigil even without buffs, 66.6% chance to get each of 2/3 prayers off without chance of countering is bananas, and if the risk of rolling a 1 is too great, just cast the most important ones. Having played lots of Skaven that risk / reward dynamic is something I find very enjoyable and it’s a great response to magic Doms. 

I am an advocate of blood Sigil. Even last Battletome. I would be pleased if it becomes meta finally. 

In my opinion it's benefits outweigh the Circlet most of the times

Edited by Xil
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Milano said:

Frankly I’m not a fan of that much blood with DoK. A little here and there is fine (like little Morathi) but with the new endless spells/prayer everything is literally soaked in blood. Dont get me wrong, the snake and the heart looks great. Just too much gore. Khorne already has it,  could have stayed their motto imho. 

What do you guys think? 

Yeap. I don’t really find the flowing/dripping sculpted blood very realistic or aesthetic. 

8 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

What do people think of taking one of each unit of Khianri for Scathcoven?

Since it just says Khinari. I have 2 x 5 lifetakers atm but thinking on it having one of each might be more flexible 

More options are always good, part of me also thinks that having a unit of 10 lifetakers that are immune to battleshock might be something worth experimenting with, would allow them to work more independently and be a potential headache for opponents. 

• Like 1

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Khailebron

Leaders
Bloodwrack Shrine (160)

general 

spell mirror dance
Morathi-Khaine (210)

spell razormind
The Shadow Queen (390)

Battleline

Units
5 x Blood Stalkers (140)
5 x Blood Stalkers (140)
5 x Blood Stalkers (140)
5 x Blood Stalkers (140)
15 x Blood Stalkers (420)
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)
9 x Khainite Shadowstalkers (100)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 119

What do you guys think of it ?

Question all:  I am thinking of just gluing my Bloodwrack Medusa to her 40mm base.  I have NOT assembled my shrine yet.  I was wondering, if I glue her to the 40mm base, can I still perch her on the shrine while on that 40mm base?  I know that the base will hang over the cauldron area (I held it up while the cauldron piece is still on the spruce), but will that base edge make it impossible to put the other witches on the stairs?  I am not the best with magnets so I was trying to do this the easy way.  Thanks all! 

I'm starting to wonder if Hag Queens on foot are a trap. With the changes to witcbrew, unless you're going Hagg Narr, you're paying 90 points for pretty unreliable buffs (even 3+ prayers are only 60%). You then pay an artifact to make her prayer somewhat reliable, but in my list building I'm often only a handful of points from adding another unit of something.

So in the end, it's usually something like: add a hag queen or add more khinerai/doomfires/shadows, etc. In the games I've played so far, our units still die extremely quickly, and maybe more bodies is the answer, despite the previous glorification of the queens. Buffs don't mean much when there's nothing left to put them on halfway through the game.

Edited by Mutton

3 hours ago, Aliase said:

Question all:  I am thinking of just gluing my Bloodwrack Medusa to her 40mm base.  I have NOT assembled my shrine yet.  I was wondering, if I glue her to the 40mm base, can I still perch her on the shrine while on that 40mm base?  I know that the base will hang over the cauldron area (I held it up while the cauldron piece is still on the spruce), but will that base edge make it impossible to put the other witches on the stairs?  I am not the best with magnets so I was trying to do this the easy way.  Thanks all! 

Just tested it, the base is only slightly wider than the cauldron itself and so the two witches fit on the stairs either side no issues. The only difference is that the cauldron Medusa has her tentacle pointing down over the rim rather than up if she’s on foot, this doesn’t affect the fit though. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Just tested it, the base is only slightly wider than the cauldron itself and so the two witches fit on the stairs either side no issues. The only difference is that the cauldron Medusa has her tentacle pointing down over the rim rather than up if she’s on foot, this doesn’t affect the fit though. Hope that helps. 

Thanks so much 5kaven you are the bestest

Great question. I am worried about first turn shooting either from DoK or KO so would bubble (within 12 inches of slaughter cauldron) the important pieces for the 5++ buff. Is the Hagg Nar buff to the ward save  only apply to wounds and not mortal wounds???

I also want to get Blood Rites and my Avatars of Khaine up and running ASAP.

I am considering Khailebron in a heavy shooting meta though.

I'd love to see a write-up on our different unnamed leader choices in the near future. We're a bit spoiled for choice - we've got hag queens, slaughter queens, medusas, plus the cauldron/shrine versions of each, and now we have the ironscales as well. If you're going snake-heavy, then a bloodwrack or ironscale general is a no-brainer, but otherwise, I think it's easy for newer players like myself to get overwhelmed with all our options. When to cauldron/shrine vs when to footslog is one matter in particular that's been on my mind.

an updated take on my MSU shooting list --

3 bloodwrack shrine

1 haq queen on cauldron

8x5 stalkers

9 shadowstalkers

10 freeguild guard

Alternately can try going down to 7x5 stalkers and 3x9 shadowstalkers as I believe someone else suggested.

Some kind of screening is really necessary.

Nice!

I got my endless spells done last weekend too, naturally I'm a little biased but I think these might be the nicest faction spells GW has put out?  I think all these models look pretty sweet, maybe the swords are a little uninspired but I like the swoopy blood trails for them.

Evt1OniXMAAMHOe.jpg

• Like 5

I've been playing a good old Aelves list on TTS against a STD army yesterday and managed to crush him hard.

The game was on FOCAL POINTS

I was running this list :

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine
- Temple: Khelt Nar
Hag Queen (90)
- Prayer: Martyr's Sacrifice
Hag Queen on Cauldron of Blood (220)
- General
- Artefact: Iron Circlet
- Prayer: Catechism of Murder
Morathi-Khaine (210)
- Lore of Shadows: Mindrazor
The Shadow Queen (390)
30 x Witch Aelves (300)
- Sacrificial Knives and Blade Bucklers
30 x Sisters of Slaughter (360)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
10 x Sisters of Slaughter (120)
- Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

Total: 1980 / 2000

He was running a list with 2 Demon princes, one Chaos lord on manticore, 1 chaos lord, 1 chaos sorcerer lord, 10 knights with spears, 35 warriors (one pack of 20 with shield, one pack of 15 with double weapons).
I was a bit afraid of not being able to kill all these warriors without mindrazor. My Plan was to launch the Shadow Queen into his knights and heroes to stop them before they charge into my packs and hopefully to give me some map control.

Turn 1:

He used his allegiance ability to move a pack of 20 warriors inside the middle objective.

He gave me first turn. I managed to pass all my prayers thanks to the avatar, failed all my spells on morathi but her warscroll spell, dealing 3 wounds to the sorcerer lord. I've put witchbrew on my 30 witches but failed the one the 30 SoS. Then I ran and tried charge. Sadly, only The SQ and the 10 SoS managed to get into combat with the pack of 20 warriors, each of these 2 units were charging on a flank, to prevent my opponent to pile in. The Shadow Queen also managed to lock into combat one Demon prince. After the combat phase, the demon prince was dead, obliterated by a true god (SQ took 3 wounds), 1 chaos warrior was dead, and 5 SoS were dead and 2 more fled with bravery test. 

On his first turn he sent his 15 warriors (they're on the left side) forward to my 30 witches, his knights were moving on the right side of the battlefield and the chaos lord on manticore tried to move closer to the Shadow Queen. He charged with his 15 warriors into my witches, he activated them twice before i could react, killing 19 of them (I was missing the 5+ ward save here...).

Score : STD 4 / DoK 2

Turn 2 :

Double turn for STD.
His Sorcerer managed to use a spell that prevented my 30 SoS to move until his next hero phase. He moved his knights closer to combat, to protect his objective flank and the objective on the right.The Manticore made a small charge to reach  Big Morathi (that wasn't the plan), dealt 3 wounds to the SQ. Full of hatred, the real God on the table killed him by only using her Hearthrender, noone of these chaotic cowards was a match for her. He managed to finish my pack of 30 witches, without any retaliation, I barely scratched the Chaos Warrior's armor in the middle with my 3 SoS but he didn't kill any of her either... 

On my turn, the hero phase was good, once again passing all my prayers thanks to the Avatar. I managed to snipe the Sorcerer lord with a black horror of Ulgu and after that, the SQ was blessed by Morathi-Khaine with the holy Mindrazor.  I used MK command ability on the SQ to deal some damage to the chaos warriors but that turned pretty underwhelming. Then I retreated with the SQ the come closer to his pack of knights, my cauldron boosted by CoM came closer to the pack of 15 warriors on the side, then I dropped 5 khinerais to protect my flank after the loss of my 30witches, and prevent the Chaos Warriors to enter my objective. The charge phase was good. SQ charged into the knights, the Cauldron on the pack of 15, MK and the Avatar on foot charged the huge pack of Chaos Warriors on the middle Objective. 
The Cauldron managed to destroy about the 15 warriors with many 6 to hit on the avatar sword, the SQ killed 5 knights thanks to Mindrazor, sadly on the middle, Morathi-Khaine and the Avatar barely dealt any damage. In return, Morathi-Khaine took 3 wounds, leaving the SQ to only 3 wounds...

Score : STD 8 / DoK 4

Turn 3 : 

Now was the time of the Double turn! Once again all prayers passed, Mindrazor too on the Cauldron of blood. I Moved the cauldron and the khinerais near him, toward the objective inside my opponent deployement zone, to charge the Demon prince that was sitting on it. I Retreated with MK and SQ and dropped 5 more khinerais near the shadow queen, to take control of the other chaotic objective. At this point, I wasn't sure to be able to kill enough CW in the middle to cap the point, so I decided to attack on the sides. Shooting phase with SQ killed 2 knights.
Charge phase was good, everything went in contact. The SQ killed the remaining 3 knights, capping the objective with the help of the Khinerais. On the other side, the cauldron took the Demon prince down to 1 wound and was left untouched by his corruption. With the help of the khinerais, i took the objective on this side as well. Once again, the Avatar didn't kill more than one CW in the middle.

Things were looking bad for the STD player. He brought his chaos lord near his remaining Demon Prince to kill the Khinerais and recap the objective. His Demon Prince healed himself, he was now 4 wounds. After the fight all the Khinerais were dead by the hand of the Demon Prince but the cauldron was furious and with a hatred attack, killed the Chaos Lord. We had 1 model each on the objective, he didn't take the objective back!

I was now controlling the 4 points on the sides, but the Chaos was still in control of the middle one.

Score : StD 10 / DoK 10

Spoiler

image.png.e1bec9484942cc4783c7ed3e21ab96eb.png

We decided to stop the game. All he had left was about 9 CW in the middle and a Demon Prince alone against a cauldron. I had full map control and I could even summon 5 more Khinerais just in case.

The game was really good but sadly it was more of a Shadow Queen show than anything else. She destroyed about 1000 STD points and my opponent had no way to stop her. Even more in Khelt Nar... These Retreats and Charges on the SQ were terrifying. She could go where she pleases, killing everyone on sight,  doing these pesky charges to contact only one model.
My list was better I think, even with all the Aelves nerfs, but I justed wanted to try the new BT with the units I have.

Edited by Eternalis