AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

28 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Is anyone else feeling let down by this new battletome? It feels like a blanket de-fanging and it doesn't really make the faction anymore interesting. I think Morathi is great and I like the new endless spells/prayers but overall its a bummer for me. 

Nope. In my opinion, the only significant change with this book is the opening up of build options. There's now more viable builds than the inexplicably tough hagg nar build and severe jank that was the more recent khailebron teleporting morathi+snakes fiesta. They don't feel any less threatening. Daughters are still serious contenders.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

Is anyone else feeling let down by this new battletome? It feels like a blanket de-fanging and it doesn't really make the faction anymore interesting. I think Morathi is great and I like the new endless spells/prayers but overall its a bummer for me. 

Not sure what youre talking about. DoK had seen consistent points nerfs and remained a 55% win rate throughout.

This book not only added a ton of options, it made a lot of our stuff way cheaper and gave us access to that sweet endless prayer.

I dont see DoK's win rate changing really. Some of the more egregious things (like wholly within vs within for hagg nar, and auto witch brew) were always dumb and needed rebalancing 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Black Blade said:

I wonder if the book is not even stronger than before.

The shooting and MW spam builds are pretty insane.

Morathi is the best Behemoth in the game.

Every.single.warscroll is playable in a competitive list (maybe a little disappointment for Sisters of Slaughter).

Four choice of Battlleline. Four!

Dude, look at any other armies and tell me if you have that variety of builds.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jhamslam said:

Not sure what youre talking about. DoK had seen consistent points nerfs and remained a 55% win rate throughout.

This book not only added a ton of options, it made a lot of our stuff way cheaper and gave us access to that sweet endless prayer.

I dont see DoK's win rate changing really. Some of the more egregious things (like wholly within vs within for hagg nar, and auto witch brew) were always dumb and needed rebalancing 

Agreed. Im actually surprised they didn't go farther on the hagg nar nerf. Witch brew seems fair now. 

Daughters share a lot of similarities with fyreslayers- a super strong battletome whose weaknesses were marginal or easily mitigated. You just didn't see a lot of them before. I'd wager that they'll be a bit more prevalent once we start to get back to playing.

Just now, Peegee said:

I wonder if the book is not even stronger than before.

The shooting and MW spam builds are pretty insane.

Morathi is the best Behemoth in the game.

Every.single.warscroll is playable in a competitive list (maybe a little disappointment for Sisters of Slaughter).

Four choice of Battlleline. Four!

Dude, look at any other armies and tell me if you have that variety of builds.

I wouldnt discount sisters of slaughter. Pile in and activate from 6 inches is one of the strongest abilities in the game. Having it on a unit you can take 30 models in can lead to some insane plays.

36 minutes ago, Graywater said:

I wouldnt discount sisters of slaughter. Pile in and activate from 6 inches is one of the strongest abilities in the game. Having it on a unit you can take 30 models in can lead to some insane plays.

Agreed. It's just that the retreat+charge (that is pretty potent in the book now) doesn't synergize well with them. And the ability to put Bucklers on Witches now make them the go-to choice for both offense and defense.

1 hour ago, Black Blade said:

Actively feeling let down by 10 to 70 point reductions on our most important units with no price hikes? Have you seen what they did to the Hedonites tome?

I own both armies and let me tell you, DoK made out like bandits. Freaking Lifetakers are being discussed as viable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xil said:

I don't agree that I feel let down in terms of powerlevel/strength. 

But I feel like we got the short end on new releases. No terrain, no truly new units...

On the other hand, we have the only Warcry/Underworlds units that are not only playable but border OP.

Hello there, I just finished reading the new book and I love it. I still have 10 melusai to build and I don't know if I should go full arrogant potato and build 10 with spears which will allow me to have 20 of them or some with bows. Bows melusai are pretty damn good now but I don't want to disappoint Khaine too much as I know he loves me to spill blood in hand to hand combat!

16 minutes ago, Vliegmans said:

Hi, I want to begin collecting a DoK army, but I'm not sure where to start. I love the snake aesthetic so I want to focus on that. Where do I start? My playgroup is rather competitive so I want to keep up with them.

Get 10-20 Bow snakes and a Start Collecting Box and you‘ll have a solid start. From there you can aim for Morathi and some more snakes

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Vliegmans said:

Hi, I want to begin collecting a DoK army, but I'm not sure where to start. I love the snake aesthetic so I want to focus on that. Where do I start? My playgroup is rather competitive so I want to keep up with them.

Right now see if you can get Shadow and Pain boxed set. Either a half of the set off ebay or trade groups (Facebook/Forums) or a full set and sell the Slaanesh stuff you don't want. You basically get a heap of snakes, some khinerai and a leader for FAR FAR less than they'd cost normally. It's outstanding value and gives you a solid block of models. 

Several copies, if you can find/afford, would set you up well with snakes and wings and all that you'd need. Add a few Getting Started sets for the cauldrons (those are very good for DoK as they have most of the leader models and the cauldrons/shrines are cornerstone support models for the army). 

6 hours ago, Peegee said:

Agreed. It's just that the retreat+charge (that is pretty potent in the book now) doesn't synergize well with them. And the ability to put Bucklers on Witches now make them the go-to choice for both offense and defense.

You've always been able to put them on witches, and you should have been. SoS fill a different role. I've won many games by retreating and using my 6 inch pile in to get on an objective. Witches blend high armour units, SoS are tactical insertions. 

No is correct but I actually went to check the tome for the proper explanation and was quite surprised to see that it only reads 'You can choose 1 of the following spells for each WIZARD HERO in a Daughters of Khaine army.'  But then the actual lore of shadows itself is restricted to wizard heroes with the DoK keyword, so I don't really know why the first part says differently!

My battletome arrived late so I've only just browsed through the lore section, I thought it was cute that they justified the sudden appearance of the endless spells/prayers by tying it to Morathi's apotheosis empowering the Khainite creed.

I also liked the mention of Morathi slowly replacing old school Khaine iconography with her own image, makes me want to try and make an Avatar of Morathi, but I don't even know where to find a suitable base for that given I often play in GW stores/events.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

No is correct but I actually went to check the tome for the proper explanation and was quite surprised to see that it only reads 'You can choose 1 of the following spells for each WIZARD HERO in a Daughters of Khaine army.'  But then the actual lore of shadows itself is restricted to wizard heroes with the DoK keyword, so I don't really know why the first part says differently!

Spell lores are part of the Allegiance Abilities and Allies "cannot use or benefit from your army's allegiance abilities". That text (you can choose 1...) is the standard text of every spell lore.

Edited by Marcvs
  • Thanks 1

So the new tome has a really cool piece of art of the avatar shaped has Morathi. Does anyone has any ideia on some head swaps that could help make something similar? (I don't have the avatar, so I'm unsure of it's head size comparade to the shadow queen or morathi-khaine models for example)

Khaine morathi.png