AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

@Aspirant Snaeper your list above does not  work as you can’t use morathis command ability unles she is your general. In practice this means that you can’t make much use of blood stalkers ever as you’d need to have taken 3 normal non snake Battleline. 

I missed that. 

Annnnnd she's dead to me.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Overread said:

Honestly part of me thinks that models like Morathi will come into their own in a few years time. When the AoS player base is more established and has bigger collections and GW tweaks the points to lower them across the board so that you can fit more on a table for a given points value. 

Monsters have, in general, dropped in cost every GHB so far except for the beastclaw nerf that got reverted. I wouldn't be surprised to see her drop in the future.

Yeah Morathi is a bizarre profile. For 480pts you get a 6 wound caster that can transform into a beast, but if you are unlucky with your transform roll, she is just a 500pt tarpit whose best quality is the ability to tank two turns of combat against anything. You also can't heal her.

I almost wish that the profiles were separate. I'd happily pay 160 or so to play little Morathi in smaller games, and pay 600 or so to play the big girl in big games. I'm helping a friend pick up the game with Nighthaunt and I'm left feeling a little jealous at the variety of heroes available to such flagship factions. We have Queens and Medusae', and that's it. I suppose we do have a very malleable centerpiece in the Cauldrons. Daughters of Khaine is definitely one of those factions that makes more sense on the table than it does on paper, as all our battle traits are universal and don't require a hero on the table to be online. It's comforting to read that the core rules command abilities are good enough  for our faction to run Medusae as generals without suffering from the lack of unique command abilities.

I doubt Morathi will drop in points 

That's a trick with her to maximize her flexibility, and with AoS 2.0 she is clearly better 

- extra -1 to hit in small form 

- double cast range which is amazing with powerful realm spells in play 

- items like for example Spellmirror which can help to keep her from harm. 

Has anyone had any luck with Khailebron Temple?

I'm testing this list and so far it is quite amazing for a 1000 points army.

• Fairly high amount of wounds for 1k
  • Super high mobility for objectives capturing and outmaneuvering
  • Reasonable amount of mortal wound dealers to handle high saves unit
  • Able to assassinate lone hero or unprotected buffers

This list severely punishes opponent who neglect to properly position their armies.

image.png.36461c4ee618e38574c832e852ff4a47.png

So I've been playing DoK since the initial launch but just as a side army to my main Lizards. however I'm thinking about transitioning them to be my main army and was wondering where I should expand, especially if I want to go competitive.

I have

Morathi

Blood Cauldron - Can be used either Hag or Slaughter Queen, I have Khaine glued on with plans to have a separate Bloodwrack when the box is available again

Hag or Queen on foot depending which is on cauldron

3x10 Witches - Can run a unit of 20 but no more because of the command units, definitely wanna pick up more of these though

Blodwrack Medusa on foot

10 Blood Stalkers

10 Blood Sisters

47 minutes ago, Archkyrie11 said:

So I've been playing DoK since the initial launch but just as a side army to my main Lizards. however I'm thinking about transitioning them to be my main army and was wondering where I should expand, especially if I want to go competitive.

I have

Morathi

Blood Cauldron - Can be used either Hag or Slaughter Queen, I have Khaine glued on with plans to have a separate Bloodwrack when the box is available again

Hag or Queen on foot depending which is on cauldron

3x10 Witches - Can run a unit of 20 but no more because of the command units, definitely wanna pick up more of these though

Blodwrack Medusa on foot

10 Blood Stalkers

10 Blood Sisters

Pretty safe bet to have more witches,  heart renders are also a very popular choice. 
Sisters of slaughter have their place too. I think the real trick is how you want to compose your army  unit size wise.

Having a extra command point or two is a must as well.  

On 7/31/2018 at 6:42 PM, Fyrm said:

Salutations! Made the account mostly to post here. My roommate is looking at getting into AoS, and I wasn't hard to convince. I love me some snake people, so this faction was a no brainer for me. 

We're at starting with 1k armies, to help us ease into it. Obviously, as they are the reason for my enjoyment of the faction, I am going to want as many snake ladies as I can. So far I'm thinking this for a list:

Khailebron

Bloodwrack Medusa [general]

Hag Queen

5x Blood Sisters

5x Blood Sisters

5x Blood Stallers

5x Blood Stalkers

Temple Nest

this leaves me with 70 points unaccounted for. Obviously I could grab another Hag Queen, but that would mean buying another box [as I would get the first Queen with my Medusa]. I'd rather try to keep it as cheap as possible for now. The reason I'm looking at Khailebron is because, when we eventually expand our army, I can keep the entire main forces in the battalion so they all get that neat rule. My general plans for expanding are more Sisters, and shrines/cauldrons for my heroes, as well as potentially more heroes as points work out. 

Still debating spells/prayers/items. Advice there?

Am I being foolish for trying to squeeze in the battalion at this point cost? I was also considering dropping the battalion and the Queen to put the Medusa on a Shrine and get 5 more Sisters, either to beef up a unit or to be a new unit. 

My goal here is not to have a super competitive army, just to help learn the rules, easy into my collection, and have fun. But part of having fun is not getting rofl-stomped constantly. I have a feeling it should be fine as is, but figured I'd check with everyone here. 

Also, roommate is going Dispossed. He'a a bit of a dwarf nut, and would rather stick with the classic dwarves rather than any of these "new-fangled" offshoots. If that plays any part in this.

I play snakes very successfully without the temple nest. Granted, mine is a 2k list, but I would rather have bigger units of Blood Sisters which can maul almost anything than to waste close to 500 points on a battalion for 130 and 2 units of mandatory Blood Stalkers at 320 points, ouch. In my opinion, Blood Stalkers are completely useless for their point cost. Other gamers may strongly disagree with me on this, but I’ve seen it on the tables. I use only one unit to fill points and I don’t like it. Only saving grace is that at least I get to showcase the models which are incredible. 

On 7/31/2018 at 6:42 PM, Fyrm said:

Salutations! Made the account mostly to post here. My roommate is looking at getting into AoS, and I wasn't hard to convince. I love me some snake people, so this faction was a no brainer for me. 

We're at starting with 1k armies, to help us ease into it. Obviously, as they are the reason for my enjoyment of the faction, I am going to want as many snake ladies as I can. So far I'm thinking this for a list:

Khailebron

Bloodwrack Medusa [general]

Hag Queen

5x Blood Sisters

5x Blood Sisters

5x Blood Stallers

5x Blood Stalkers

Temple Nest

this leaves me with 70 points unaccounted for. Obviously I could grab another Hag Queen, but that would mean buying another box [as I would get the first Queen with my Medusa]. I'd rather try to keep it as cheap as possible for now. The reason I'm looking at Khailebron is because, when we eventually expand our army, I can keep the entire main forces in the battalion so they all get that neat rule. My general plans for expanding are more Sisters, and shrines/cauldrons for my heroes, as well as potentially more heroes as points work out. 

Still debating spells/prayers/items. Advice there?

Am I being foolish for trying to squeeze in the battalion at this point cost? I was also considering dropping the battalion and the Queen to put the Medusa on a Shrine and get 5 more Sisters, either to beef up a unit or to be a new unit. 

My goal here is not to have a super competitive army, just to help learn the rules, easy into my collection, and have fun. But part of having fun is not getting rofl-stomped constantly. I have a feeling it should be fine as is, but figured I'd check with everyone here. 

Also, roommate is going Dispossed. He'a a bit of a dwarf nut, and would rather stick with the classic dwarves rather than any of these "new-fangled" offshoots. If that plays any part in this.

36 minutes ago, Scythian said:

Just for a goof, I painted up an Avatar to use for my games this Saturday. Does anyone use them? I have yet to see a single fellow DoK player use one in their games. I figured I’d at least try the Avatar once. 

3BE2FE0A-4D46-4D55-9C49-5FD4AC1E38CA.jpeg

I think if you plan ahead enough to have them animated for the first two turns they could be a great beatstick unit. I have yet to use one though.

58 minutes ago, Scythian said:

Just for a goof, I painted up an Avatar to use for my games this Saturday. Does anyone use them? I have yet to see a single fellow DoK player use one in their games. I figured I’d at least try the Avatar once. 

My experience playing against them is that they do great when you are already winning. I wouldn't call them game changers, but they add insult to injury if the rest of your army already kind of won the game for you. They sort of follow up the back and wipe out the stragglers...

I think the main issue with avatars on their own is that they are 100% reliant on a  combo with another unit or spell before the 3rd turn where they can operate without support. This means losing a spell or prayer per turn for 2 whole turns at the early part  of the game. Now that's not too bad as things are still moving into position in the first turn; its a little bad in the second and its a disaster if your opponent realises this and snipes out your queens to shut down the avatars. 

In a way they are a good choice against another Daughters or close combat heavy army. Ergo an army that is going to come to you as fast and as much as you want to go to them. Therefore meaning that if you lose a turn of movement from your avatar, its no concern as the enemy is still closing the distance for you. 

16 minutes ago, Olincay said:

Question : What allies have people considered taking and why? 

Ballistas? Morrsarguard?

Shadowblades Assassins - not much in points but pack a powerful punch when they hit, even more so if you go for a hero. Deploy them with khinerai so that you can put them far back into the enemy lines without having to risk the assassin unit taking damage as they advance toward the enemy. It gives your opponent a real reason to fear them and makes the unit have more punch either against a single target or a block of troops. 

I conceptualized a Shadowblade Assassin list awhile ago to see how it might work and I think I found something I like. 

Allegiance: Daughters Of Khaine - Temple: Hagg Nar

LEADERS

• Bloodwrack Medusa (140) - General - Command Trait : Bathed in Blood - Artefact : Shadow Stone - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
  • Slaughter Queen on Cauldron Of Blood (330) - Artefact : Iron Circlet - Prayer : Catechism of Murder
  • Hag Queen (60) - Prayer : Blessing of Khaine
  • Assassin (80) - Allies
  • Assassin (80) - Allies

UNITS

• 30 x Sisters Of Slaughter (300) -Barbed Whips and Blade Bucklers
  • 20 x Witch Aelves (200) -Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
  • 10 x Blood Sisters (280)
  • 5 x Doomfire Warlocks (160) - Lore of Shadows : Mindrazor
  • 5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)
  • 5 x Khinerai Heartrenders (80)

BATTALIONS

• Slaughter Troupe (130)

ENDLESS SPELLS

• Suffocating Gravetide (30)

This doesn't have as many bodies as I would like, but you've got Sisters of Slaughter to absorb a hit while Witch Aelves deal out attacks as a back up Assault unit to the Blood Sisters. I really tried to make 10 Doomfire Warlocks work, but it was coming at the expense of Battleline numbers, which I feel is more important. The Warlocks will likely pop the Gravetide out in an ideal location to minimize collateral damage. 

Heartrenders and Assassin's mission profiles will change depending on the opponent, but the ideal situation is to have them drop in the back and multiply. Lifetakers might ultimately be the better option for delivering Assassin's, as they can drop him/her off and potentially pull out of combat to then go and hit something else after attacking. 

Played a 3v3, 2k per person game today. It was my DoK, Stormcast, and Seraphon vs. Nighthaunt, Nurgle, and Beastclaw Raiders. As you can see, my snakes threw back a Nighthaunt/Nurgle double team! Blight Kings dropped hard and Mournghuls did little to nothing. Opponents conceded shortly after our turn 3 actions. Nighthaunt and Nurgle had virtually nothing left. Snakes were drooling to get their teeth on the Great Unclean One, but he knew it was futile. Stormcast and Seraphon ganged up on a 4 Huskard Beastclaw list. Overall, a quick and brutal game. 

8C9129A8-4F13-4F42-A7E3-DC5D61B2AE17.jpeg

A7E2D342-7E58-4C0A-9659-A72C1FCAA191.jpeg

FB39CC48-1595-40AB-97E9-92F6EA395229.jpeg

06EC1E3A-F35F-4E53-B39F-B1EC6CEEEF12.jpeg

• Like 2