AoS 2 - Daughters of Khaine Discussion

Chris Tomlin

3 hours ago, Mutton said:

I'm cool with DoK losing some of their defenses in exchange for more killing power. But also remember we need SOME protection against the magic/shooting nonsense. A glass canon is useless if it gets disintegrated halfway up the board.

I just picked up DoK a couple months ago.  This last sentence here is the summation of my first love, Khorne.

DoK has given me what I love about Khorne and made it more durable.  I'm hoping we don't lose too much of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I'm a little surprised that people think of the medusae as a hero tax. They aren't as brutally efficient as Hag Queens, perhaps, but I've had them do pretty good work. With the artefact they are a bit more reliable at casting Mindrazor than Morathi is and the gaze attack is no joke.

I've always found Bloodwracks are quite good value for the points, but strictly speaking of their value as wizards alone they tend to fall short of their analogues in other factions (i.e. Grey Seers) which I think colours some players' perception of their worth. I guess the other issue is that the new Morathi - who now retains her three spell casts but is a fair bit more expensive - is the best wizard we have and the Bloodwrack struggles to have a place to fit in alongside her. 

Edited by Jaskier

13 hours ago, Mutton said:

I'm cool with DoK losing some of their defenses in exchange for more killing power. But also remember we need SOME protection against the magic/shooting nonsense. A glass canon is useless if it gets disintegrated halfway up the board.

As far as what I really want to see in the new book? 
-Make Bloodwrack Shrines/Medusae awesome so they don't feel like a hero tax.

-Make Avatars of Khaine on foot a real thing. Currently they're just an imaginary joke.

-Do something with Doomfire Warlocks. A lv 1 wizard unit without any bonuses (unless you spend nearly 300 points on them) is impractical. Everything they try to do is going to get slapped away by better, cheaper, enemy casters.

-Khinerai should be elite units with a warscroll that reflects that. I want bat-winged Valkyries---not a bunch of dandelions floating in the breeze.

We wouldnt be a glass cannon; we’d be a... ... glass knife...

Which would probably be fine in real life if you had excellent reflexes and precision.

Upvote for more elite Khinerai. The models are my favorite in the range, and I’d love an excuse to get more. I mean, I might get more anyway, but this way it’s even better if I get to use my favorite sculpts AND they counted for a useful backbone of the army.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cmidrfti said:

Haven't seen these yet. Leaked or announced?

They shared some news today. Among others there is a pic of the new dice:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/07/sunday-preview-devotees-of-divine-excess-and-murder-collide/

And yes, quite interesting that there are no warscroll cards announced yet. Too few changes possibly? 😉

Boy those new dice are boring as all heck. Solid red, that's it? 

Oh well, I like to use mostly normal dice and just use the old DoK dice for specific things like prayers anyhow

I guess my paranoid, baseless worry with the new book is that they'll completely flip the switch here and overnerf witches and hag brew 

33 minutes ago, Mcprowlington said:

Boy those new dice are boring as all heck. Solid red, that's it? 

Oh well, I like to use mostly normal dice and just use the old DoK dice for specific things like prayers anyhow

I guess my paranoid, baseless worry with the new book is that they'll completely flip the switch here and overnerf witches and hag brew 

Seconded. I'm very worried that they nerf the Witch Brew, either removing the full re rolls or the Battleshock immunity. Knowing the silly decisions GeeDubs takes I wouldn't be surprised to see it become a command ability. Though hopefully this is all unfounded, it would be odd for them them to nerf an army that isn't all that obnoxious anymore, while simultaneously power creeping other battletomes.

Daughters won't be made useless, but I wouldn't be upset to see some nerfs in some areas if it opens up the game in new ways. Maybe making witchbrew a choice between full rerolls(not just fails) or immune to battleshock for example?I do think it'll stay as an ability instead of a command ability though.

I'm also really digging the teleport style army, but the current one is egregious. So some way to mix that up and incentivize melee with it would be cool with me. I know I didn't get into this faction to play a shooting army.

And I hope they say morathi can't go in lauchon's boat. Seems like an oversight/mistake when they FAQd her from not being able to go on the balewind instead of the boat. The balewind isn't nearly as big of an issue. 

First preview on the community site:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/08/join-a-sect-to-transform-how-your-daughters-of-khaine-fight/

Hagg nar and draichi ganeth getting some faction changes. Both seem like decent changes. Zainthar Kai looks to be the same from broken realms, but I could be wrong (don't have the book in front of me). 

• Like 1

That's the same command trait from the Morathi book, yes.

Confirmation that there will be six temple options this time around too (so one more including Zainthar Kai), hopefully the one that was mentioned in the current battletome but they just decided not to give rules to?

I'm curious if Draichi Ganeth keeps its current passive ability (+1 to hit on the charge) and this new CA is just to supplement that on turns you didn't charge (or for SoS if they keep the 6" pile in) or whether there will be a more general change to the temple's theme.

For me the most interesting thing about the Draichi Ganeth CA is that it has the Witch Aelves and Sisters of Slaughter keywords, following the example of the Zainthar Kai CA being specific to Melusai or Khinerai.  So looks like the different Temples may not be as interchangeable as previously.  But, this is still a welcome change for more variety and having a temple known for Sisters of Slaughter basically having to take them.

Just now, Chumphammer said:

They would have to allow any temple to take SOS & Witch elves or else you have 1 battleline choice lol (unless snakes change)

Right, but I think theyre referring to the fact that the command ability only works on the aelf units. So you could take snakes there or aelfs in zainthar Kai, but they wouldn't be able to benefit from some temple abilities. No 2+ to hit blood sisters. The temples seem like they're gonna be pretty specialized to certain units.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chumphammer said:

They would have to allow any temple to take SOS & Witch elves or else you have 1 battleline choice lol (unless snakes change)

I probably just didn't explain what I meant properly.  I just found it interesting that we will be having more temple abilities and CAs with specific unit keywords instead of generically like we have in the old battletome.

• Like 1