AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 minute ago, GeneralZero said:

It is surprising that in the whole article they didn't even speak about the main units in the new box Skywardens/Endrinriggers . I have absolutly no idea about their usage in this new BT.

We know there is a port city that specializes in using Skywardens in close combat. I take that as possible a hint that they've buffed Sky Pikes.

Though it leaves me in a bit of a pickle because I've got 9 endrinriggers with saws and was hoping to use the box to build 6 Skywardens with guns.  I'm really going to need to see the rules before deciding how to build those six guys.

4 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

It is surprising that in the whole article they didn't even speak about the main units in the new box Skywardens/Endrinriggers . I have absolutly no idea about their usage in this new BT.

Barak-Zon Skywardens get +1 to hit and +1 to wound on the charge.

15 minutes ago, Ser_namron said:

see what you mean by me taking it as the most negative explanation, but arent you doing the same with the most positive one? Your saying we would've lost something, but theirs no evidence to that. whose to say we couldn't have gotten everything we've seen like the Fly high ability AS WELL as something liek a flag that lets your units run and charge while within 18" of it? Obviously pulled that one out of my ass, but the point stands. Whose to say if the armys got the terrain features equivalent power baked into the army? Because from where im standing, it just looks like they got a full set of allegiance abilities + a piece of terrain,  not half a set of allegiance abilities and a terrain to fill in the gaps. 

First part absolutely. Of course im thinking of the most positive to polarise our two views a bit. But I stand by it. As long as the allegiance abilities are balanced*, it doesn’t matter if it includes a terrain piece. Your argument seems to me that allegiance abilities would all be level 10 and then terrain is +1. My argument is that 11 doesn’t count as balanced. So GW (should) make no terrain allegiance abilities level 11. So it doesn’t matter if it’s terrain or not.

bringing that back to OBR, Slaanesh etc and your earlier argument it’s not the terrain that’s the problem it’s the allegiance abilities themselves regardless if parts are a physical model. 

*as far as GW is able to balance things. 

21 minutes ago, Ser_namron said:

Financially, yes its a disadvantage, but this is warhammer, finances were never the prime concern or noone would get into this hobby. Rules wise it only limits if we take it as something we wouldve had without a terrain feature, which i don't see it as, but it could be argued either way. Hopefully its all balanced and makes it a wash, but again, at face value id gladly take some terrain over no terrain

Haha absolutely true. From the first to the last sentence. Last sentence with the ceaveat it’s cool looking terrain, because cool. 

also I will also tell you the one thing that cannot be really be balanced in the rules which is a massive advantage to having terrain features.... board control. I wouldn’t  be able to counter argue that. Especially with our mobility. A terrain piece that doesn’t do anything will still help us block lanes and fly over it ourselves. 😬 It could even help block other terrain set ups. That the one argument I would concede against. 
take that OBR thing. Plumping that front and centre really hampers your opponent without even being due to the rules. Or gnawholes limiting set up space. It such a small and big advantage at the same time. There is no way to point that in. But I’d still argue it’s irrelevant if the rules are baked into a terrain piece or in allegiance abilities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nine7six said:

I need more frigates...

Same buddy, I only have one. This makes is seem like I need at least 1 more if not 2. 

2 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Anyone else over the moon at the new rules? 😁

I'm super pumped about this! Cant wait for the entire book to be out. 

47 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

things might go up a little in cost. Being able to shoot without retaliation until the ship is destroyed sounds very amazing

I think this would change. If its viewed as the unit is garrisoned, wouldn't they have the option of attacking the unit with a -1 to hit? Eather way I like this a lot.  This would make it more balanced. If you had no options to kill 20 Thunderers untill you go thru 18 ironclad wounds with the iron clad also doing damage wial kiting.... holy cow that would hurt.  Especially of your throwing in screening stuff in the way. (Not sure what would be a good screening unit  are book is out.) That's alot of points but still. 

I also like the fact that are ships can't fly high after taking more then 7 wounds. There would be a lot of salt thrown at us if a 1 would ironclad flu across the board to safety right before it died.   You would need to focus fire them more then just throw a screening unit at us befor you break the fly high.  So we are still slippery untill then.

I wonder if there going to make the healing effects from riggers and endrinmasters different? Would be cool if one of the sky ports changed them from a 1d3 to a 3 or something? Maby give riggers a bones to healing based on unit size? I always though it was wierd that a 3 unit or 12 unit of riggers healed the same amount. 

All and all it looks like where getting what we wanted. More options!!!

Edited by Stormrage89
Spelling and grammar corrections (probably still more in there)

4 minutes ago, Stormrage89 said:

I think this would change. If its viewed as the unit is garrisoned, wouldn't they have the option of attacking the unit with a -1 to hit?

Remember that garrisons gives cover too (+1 save if the enemy didn't charge in that turn). Juicy +1save and -1hit while embarked

9 minutes ago, Stormrage89 said:

I wonder if there going to make the healing effects from riggers and endrinmasters different? Would be cool if one of the sky ports changed them from a 1d3 to a 3 or something? Maby give riggers a bones to healing based on unit size? I always though it was wierd that a 3 unit or 12 unit of riggers healed the same amount. 

Never thought about this... such a great point 😂

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

These previews look amazing. I dont even care anymore about not getter terrain. Wish there was dice though...

Only thing im not going to like is paying the premium in points costs for all this new stuff. Wouldnt be surprised if its silly like 300pt frigates, 200pt gunhaulers. 

Weren't gunhaulers 260 points at one time? :P

That is a relevant point though, these rules are great but points will be the final say in how competitive this tome is.

20 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Having calculated stuff, man, Kharadron are pricy pieces of plastic.

Really hard to sell 5 guys with not that many spare parts for €32,50.

Let alone three guys on a balloon for the same price.

I thought Irondrakes were overpriced...

Ya, dollar per model,  KO is a very expensive army. 

I'm kinda hoping that the price doesn't go up to much with the updated book unless the model rules justify the point increase. But if they do go up a bunch, at least the people getting into the army wont have to buy as much stuff. 

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hoping the points don't go up though. 

4 minutes ago, Stormrage89 said:

Ya, dollar per model,  KO is a very expensive army. 

I'm kinda hoping that the price doesn't go up to much with the updated book unless the model rules justify the point increase. But if they do go up a bunch, at least the people getting into the army wont have to buy as much stuff. 

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally hoping the points don't go up though. 

Yeah, I now remember why I chose Cities. I always liked Kharadron, just not their pricetag.

2 minutes ago, Stormrage89 said:

Between Barak-Zon, Barak-Zilfin, and Barak-Thryng. I'm really liking how big of an impact they have on how the army plays, as well as the different directions each sky-port changes the game play.  I hope the other sky-ports are just as Interesting. 

I hope Barak-Urbaz gets something cool. I liked the idea of their Ironclad artefact. 

I also think every Port will have a unique artefact and warlord trait. 

My big hope is for Gunhaulers and Thunderers to become really useful so we get more use from the Start Collecting. I would expect Skywardens to go Battleline in a Barak-Zon army at the least, but certainly one of those three unit types has to go battleline in the new book.

47 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Having calculated stuff, man, Kharadron are pricy pieces of plastic.

Really hard to sell 5 guys with not that many spare parts for €32,50.

Let alone three guys on a balloon for the same price.

I thought Irondrakes were overpriced...

It doesn't help the Start Collecting is one of the weaker ones.

The Kharadron Battleforce a couple of years ago was fantastic, with one of the larger savings of the lot. I really hope it makes a comeback this year. Tau had one a few times, so it's not impossible.

Edited by Clan's Cynic