AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey everyone

Just skimmed through the last couple of pages to see what the current "meta" is like. I have just one question for you all: Is a no-ship list still viable? I know they are a huge part of KOs appeal, but I really love the little guys, flying or not.

4 hours ago, Urbanus said:

Hey everyone

Just skimmed through the last couple of pages to see what the current "meta" is like. I have just one question for you all: Is a no-ship list still viable? I know they are a huge part of KOs appeal, but I really love the little guys, flying or not.

Yes. You don't need to play with ships and still be "competitive". Arkanaut blobs with some khemists hit like a truck, Endrinriggers with 2/3 grapnels can move really far and still charge (and with brokk, they can run+charge too), Skywardens have some tricks and thunderers are still awesome.
Imho, Khemists are still mandatory and Barak-Urbaz is one of the best Baraks forgunlines.

Just remember to take care from cover/ LoS blocking terrain and Prismatic Pallisade and use some type of chaff for turn1charge/alpha strike armies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Yes. You don't need to play with ships and still be "competitive". Arkanaut blobs with some khemists hit like a truck, Endrinriggers with 2/3 grapnels can move really far and still charge (and with brokk, they can run+charge too), Skywardens have some tricks and thunderers are still awesome.
Imho, Khemists are still mandatory and Barak-Urbaz is one of the best Baraks forgunlines.

Just remember to take care from cover/ LoS blocking terrain and Prismatic Pallisade and use some type of chaff for turn1charge/alpha strike armies.

Sounds like the type of army Im going for. Thanks for the reply 

On 8/10/2019 at 8:19 AM, Urbanus said:

Hey everyone

I had some success in casual games with a no ship Urbaz list before the new points came out. Big blob of arkanauts, unit of endrinrigger, unit of skywardens, a couple khemists, and a big built of allied dwarf warriors for them to hide behind.

The list really packs a punch, and has a lot of bodies. The downside is that it’s really stationary. If your opponent can take out the flyers, it’s really tough to go score objectives on the other side of the board.

• Like 1

I have a slightly different request for you guys....

I have purchased this army in one go, because it was cool and fit exactly into 2k....

Im taking it to the gt final next month, very much aware im not exactly gonna win all of my games (i might get one or 2 practice games in before the event 😅 )

So im asking, are there any tips/tricks/etc you can advise me of that arent too obvious from a casual look over??

Aether Khemist

Lord Ordinator (Allied)

20 arkanaut

10 arkanaut

10 arkanaut

9 endrinriggers

Ironclad

Frigate

2x gunhauler

2000pts spot on. Havent 100% decided on guns/relics yet but thinking skyhooks on the bigger arkanaut unit and volley guns on the smaller ones... boats i cant quite decide atm...

So, any tips on which weapons to take and tips/tricks in general are welcome ^_^

Just in case you missed it, I caught up with 3 fantastic KO players in  Gary Percival, Alexander Krohn & Ben Spinetti in this Faction Focus. These Sky Admirals talk through both the foundations of building a great army, customising it with command traits/artefacts/etc, and tactics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Got a game in this weekend. 2000pts vs Daughters if Khaine. Recorded it for a battle report and plan to release it this upcoming weekend. I'll share it later if you're interested.

Here was my list:

Barak Urbaz Allegiance

Aether Khemist - aethersight loupe, general

Aether Khemist - Chamon spell that unbinds

Lord ordinator - Ally

x10 Arkanaut Company - skyhooks

Ironclad

x2 Celestar Ballistas

x6 Endrinriggers - grapnel

x6 Endrinriggers - grapnel

I had to split the units into smaller groups so I had enough ally slots for the ordinator and 2 ballistas. Urbaz allowed me to have smaller units and still buff enough in one turn. Ordinator buffed my ironclad and ballistas. 

Because they were split, it was less probability to get all 12 riggers to grapnel, but there's more opportunity for different directions and not all lost to battleshock. Same with the company. I suggest going 2nd and if the ironclad is stuck at the front line, he gets buffed by the ordinator. 

Played knife to the heart. Had a chance to defend the rushing witches and later in the game win by taking both objectives in the same turn. I got back-to-back turns on round 3 and that was the game winner.

I felt the ballistas didn't do as well as hoped. The ironclad was a boss with the ordinator. Skyhooks performed well and rivet guns shredded the witches. Pistols were nice as they got closer and had the back-to-back turn.

• Like 3

Hey guys, it's been a while. I spent so much time trying to get ready to play games that I kinda fell out, and was also painting 40k stuff for a while. But I've hooked up with some local players AND finally noticed the big points changes that KO got in the latest General's Handbook! This is going to change my old plans a touch since my Frigate costs way less. Here's my old 1k list (not including artifacts and stuff)

Khemist

10x Arkanauts w/ Skypikes

10x Arkanauts w/ Volleyguns

9x Endrinriggers w/Saws

Frigate

With the points changes, I now have a free 60 points. So I was thinking about what I could do with this and I decided to lower my Riggers to 6 models and add in 10 Thunderers instead. I still want to use the Frigate for now since I put the work into it. XD I might come up with a different 1k point list to keep the 9 Riggers. Maybe swap out the Frigate for a Gunhauler? Still thinking.

Anyway, 10 Thunderers. I haven't assembled them yet and I wanted some advice. Do I go for a unit of 10, or 2 units of 5? I'm going to model them with all the weapons but might swap between that and all rifles depending on how I feel. I don't think I'll have any "counts as" issues.

Thanks guys. :)

35 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

Hey guys, it's been a while. I spent so much time trying to get ready to play games that I kinda fell out, and was also painting 40k stuff for a while. But I've hooked up with some local players AND finally noticed the big points changes that KO got in the latest General's Handbook! This is going to change my old plans a touch since my Frigate costs way less. Here's my old 1k list (not including artifacts and stuff)

Khemist

9x Endrinriggers w/Saws

Frigate

With the points changes, I now have a free 60 points. So I was thinking about what I could do with this and I decided to lower my Riggers to 6 models and add in 10 Thunderers instead. I still want to use the Frigate for now since I put the work into it. XD I might come up with a different 1k point list to keep the 9 Riggers. Maybe swap out the Frigate for a Gunhauler? Still thinking.

Anyway, 10 Thunderers. I haven't assembled them yet and I wanted some advice. Do I go for a unit of 10, or 2 units of 5? I'm going to model them with all the weapons but might swap between that and all rifles depending on how I feel. I don't think I'll have any "counts as" issus.

I'd go for a full unit of 10 if you want to use the Khemyst with them...

Edited by Kubrick54

10 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Khemist

9x Endrinriggers w/Saws

Frigate

Anyway, 10 Thunderers. I haven't assembled them yet and I wanted some advice. Do I go for a unit of 10, or 2 units of 5? I'm going to model them with all the weapons but might swap between that and all rifles depending on how I feel. I don't think I'll have any "counts as" issues.

It's all about what you want to do with them:

• Make a mini-alpha strike with Khemist+10 thunderers+6 endrinriggers+frigate with Barak-Zilfin.
  • Maybe just a team to capture objectives with the frigate and 2 units of 5 thunderers (Keep Your Distance is awesome!).
  • Go Urbaz and buff 1 unit of 10 Thunderers+Skyhooks Arkanauts and use the frigate+volleygun arkanatus and endrinriggers secure objectives in another side of the table.

These are only a few examples but you get the point. Traits like Fleetmaster can help vs armies that doesn't have teleport/movement bonus, Prospector can give you the edge early game with Volley Fire instead of Inspire Presence:, Barak Thryng is awesome if you roll a 3, 4, 5 or 6, Barak-Mhornar hits really hard and Zil'fin will always be useful with the Endrin,... All of this highlight your strategy, you just need to know what you want to accomplish and build the list aiming to do that.

I can't wait to see your new lists!!! Remember that apart from points reduction, we have 3 new Command Abilities: re-roll hit rolls of 1 for ranged, re-roll hit rolls of 1 for melee and re-roll saves of 1 in the combat phase.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, Nicholunch said:

share it later if you're interested.

Absolutely nice write up, curious to see how your opponent played it that you got through turn 2 unscathed enough to go for both witch elves hit like a truck and you don’t have a big defensive ally in your list. Well played! 

20 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Haven’t played in awhile either but ziflin frigate with 10 rifle thunderers with a Khemist gives me the most joy to play. I love that it’s something relatively fragile that your setting up forward to disrupt your opponent. It’s a rewarding tactical challenge that win or lose I get satisfaction from if I pull it off. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

How do you guys keep your flying stand stable while gluing? I can't seem to get mine to stay still. The frigate slowly falls over each time. I've tried making a frame but that doesn't help.

Don’t stand them up when they’re gluing.  I literally hold them upside down for 10 mins, then try and stand them upside down (by propping it up with several things, and protecting the top) and leave it overnight. The stand is not heavy, so a lot less likely to droop than the ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

How do you guys keep your flying stand stable while gluing? I can't seem to get mine to stay still. The frigate slowly falls over each time. I've tried making a frame but that doesn't help.

Are you using plastic glue?  If so, don't.  Use regular super glue instead.

On 8/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, Ironbreaker said:

I pinned mine- it’s pretty easy to do (first thing I’d ever pinned) you just need a hobby drill, and use cut pieces of a paper clip for the pin. Has the added bonus that you can remove the flying stand for transport.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:49 AM, Ironbreaker said:

My plastic stand broke and so I used a wooden dowel. Screwed it in on both ends. For the model side, I cut the ****** head off and was able to thread it into the bottom of the model with glue around it. It's super sturdy. Painted the dowel green and put trees around it to hide. Couldn't think of anything better at the time as tournament was like a week away.large.00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181016201507159_COVER.jpg.8af02f7727267fa01ef4aa335b32037a.jpglarge.00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181016201840979_COVER.jpg.dcb0ab1c529a6b7a03e89c932ea69b38.jpg

Edited by Nicholunch
Typo
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

Why not plastic glue?

Because it will lock it in place instantly, and you won't experience that slow-motion tip over.

EDIT - just as an aside, that plastic stand that GW supplies you with in the box is woefully inadequate.  Super wobbly and flimsy.  I had to support mine with a couple of extra rods.

Edited by mikethefish