AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I usually use Barak Zilfin; since There’s Always A Breeze If You Look For It is “in your hero phase” (therefore any time therein I want), can I use that and still disembark? Because if I choose to use TAABIYLI at the start of my Hero Phase, then there’s two events at the start, one has to happen first.....catch my drift?

33 minutes ago, Serpico said:

I usually use Barak Zilfin; since There’s Always A Breeze If You Look For It is “in your hero phase” (therefore any time therein I want), can I use that and still disembark? Because if I choose to use TAABIYLI at the start of my Hero Phase, then there’s two events at the start, one has to happen first.....catch my drift?

They changed the text on TAABIYLI a bit in the last faq removing the bit about allowing disembarking. And also changed the disembarking rules on the ships to be at the start of the hero phase. So together moving and disembarking with it isnt workable anymore. You can just make ships move very fast now which may or may not be that useful depending on the circumstances.

On 4/20/2019 at 4:59 PM, cadmachine said:

Both the Thunderers rework and the Stormcast book were published before Beasts of Chaos and implementation of the system he mentions so both are moot examples.

Edit: The Sequitor box does come with 5 Greatmaces, 4 standard and 2 more, 1 for a prime of each sex.

The incentive to change the warscroll is that Arkonauts are largely considered to be undercosted and overpowered for their roll and price and as such pop up in many many order faction and mixed order lists.

As a KO player to win, I feel I rely way too heavily on the performance of my battleline that are incredibly fragile, I win or lose games based on them entirely, the rest of the book is borderline worthless in terms of damage or other battlefield roles, my argument is that I believe its clear they will change Arkanauts but they will redress the unit and the book to make everything better so I'll take the trade.

Arkanauts are op what? Who thinks this? On base stats Arkanauts are a weak unit. They underperform heavily compared to most battle lines. 

What makes them them good is that you can khemist buff them. Their entire existence revolves around one synergy

5 hours ago, stratigo said:

Arkanauts are op what? Who thinks this? On base stats Arkanauts are a weak unit. They underperform heavily compared to most battle lines. 

What makes them them good is that you can khemist buff them. Their entire existence revolves around one synergy

Ill say that it isnt my opinion just something Ive seen in other forums/places as they continue to crop up a lot in order armies.

However I disagree they are weak, hitting and wounding on 4s in combat, 2 standard ranged shots, a +1 to hit ability to heroes and monsters and stats wise they are basically the same as everyone else.
But add in heavy weapons and shooting.
Liberators are a unit of 5 for instance with no ranged whatsoever, the unit has the same amount of attacks and wounds, they have +1 better save and only beat arkanauts on to wound rolls, otherwise the unit is nearly the same, but Arkanauts can shoot very very well.

Edited by cadmachine

5 hours ago, cadmachine said:

Ill say that it isnt my opinion just something Ive seen in other forums/places as they continue to crop up a lot in order armies

Can you point me to some of those forums/places? And where you find those lists? I’m genuinely curious. 

Edited by Kramer

1 hour ago, Durant said:

How do you paint endrigers ? 

I mean how do you attache the miniature for painting 

Usualy i pin miniatures in The foot 

But that will not work here 

I personally glue it all together, but use painter's masking tape to cover up the clear flight stem.  Once the mini is all finished, I remove the tape, leaving the flight stem all nice and clear

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Durant said:

How do you paint endrigers ? 

I mean how do you attache the miniature for painting 

Usualy i pin miniatures in The foot 

But that will not work here 

Balloon and attachments separately. Rest of the body glued together was fine for me. I didn't put it on the stem. but reading @mikethefish's comment I will do so next time with masking tape. That's a good idea. 

• Thanks 1

What are peoples thoughts about using 10 Heartguard bezerkers/20 Vulkites with an Auric Runesmiter as allies?
(for reference The Runesmiter let's them tunnel up and 20 vulkites can be quite hardy, 10 hearthguard can be quite hitty)

I've been thinking about them as allies in my Dispossessed army. Mostly to have a real reason to paint a set of daemon slayers I got through somebody on TGA a two  years ago. 

But it could be a really helpful squad. Tunnel them up to claim a centre objective or a second screen further upfield. Gives more time for our gun lines. Or can be an anvil for a riggers charge. 

Thoughts? Good and bad.

19 hours ago, Kramer said:

What are peoples thoughts about using 10 Heartguard bezerkers/20 Vulkites with an Auric Runesmiter as allies?
(for reference The Runesmiter let's them tunnel up and 20 vulkites can be quite hardy, 10 hearthguard can be quite hitty)

10 Hearthguard Berserkers + a hero we're suggested to me over in the Fyreslayers topic, and I plan on going with them for allies in the future.

Also, I had a little demo game at my Warhammer store this weekend! I'll write up later how it went in detail. But until then, I'll just tease with this.

IMG_20190428_135830755.jpg

4 hours ago, DavionStar said:

10 Hearthguard Berserkers + a hero we're suggested to me over in the Fyreslayers topic, and I plan on going with them for allies in the future.

Also, I had a little demo game at my Warhammer store this weekend! I'll write up later how it went in detail. But until then, I'll just tease with this.

IMG_20190428_135830755.jpg

Good call on getting the input from there. 

Great looking table. Always love the smoke effects if done right and looks really cool in the building. 

Ok so, I completely forgot to post this stuff yesterday. XD; But here's how the little game went.

Spoiler

We played about 500pts so I had to quickly figure out something from what I brought. So I had my Khemist, an Arkanaut Company with Volley guns, a Company with Skypikes, and a group of 3 riggers. He played Stormcast with a Lord-Aquilor, a unit of 3 Judicators, 3 Sequitors (I think),  and a Ballista. The guy working the shop wasn't the guy who ran the store, it was his off day. And sadly he didn't know a lot about AoS, but just enough that we were able to mostly wing it. No objectives, it was just to wipe each other out.

So here's what I remember from the game. Turn 1 he deep striked his Aquilor behind my Skypike company, and tied them up for several turns, slowly killing them. My Company barely scratched him. Guess who forgot about Glory-seekers! *facepalm* Meanwhile, my Khemist and Volleygun company slowly crawled forward while giving my Skypike company covering fire. My Riggers rushed in and DESTROYED his Judicators before they could do anything. Right after that, combined fire from his Ballista and his Sequitor unit squished them.

I managed to take down one of the Sequitors, but by then his Aquilor caught up to my Khemist and last Company. He focused on the company, and then when my Khemist got to shoot....he took the last 5 wounds of the Aquilor in one shot of his Noxious Aether. It was amazing. But then the Khemist was the last one standing and got squished after a couple more hits.

Over all, it was a fun game, and very much a learning experience. Lessons I learned:

Spoiler

- Don't forget to bring a tape measure (that was silly of me)

- Make my own Warscroll cards. I managed to pick up the official ones, but the text is so small and there are so many rules that it's overwhelming. I'm gonna whip together specific cards for each of my units so only their relevant info is handy.

- Remember my dang Warlord Traits, Sky-port Artycles, and all that. Gonna make cards for these too as fumbling through the book is a pain.

- Bring Skyhooks. I want their range and I want to try them out.

- Rolling 2 dozen dice is fun and the sound is super satisfying for some reason. Rolling on those Volleyguns are fun, even if they only get 1 or 2 wounds off. 😜

- Arkanaut Companies aren't as paper thin as I feared. That or my opponent just had bad rolls. But he said it took longer than he expected to take them all out.

- I probably should have held my Volleygun company back to lay in more fire on his hero to take him down. Again, Glory-seekers would have helped greatly had I remembered it.

Other than that, just kinda basic stuff about how it plays. Later this week I'm gonna ask at my much closer store (the Warhammer store is a good 45~minute drive. My local store is 5 minutes away) to see how I can get some AoS games in and give my army a better go. After I make those notes for myself that is.

Here's the rest of the pics. It's on a 40k themed table cause that's what was out on both tables. So it was pretty much Squats vs Space Marines *bricked*

Spoiler

IMG_20190428_143637261.jpg.66a698a46dc5a022d2f30dea6bc7dcf6.jpg

IMG_20190428_145533083.jpg.356a9fb990aff289c5ec618d8bb7d091.jpg

IMG_20190428_150009586.jpg.36d812e1a86482a9fe347444deb7f2cb.jpg

And some extra shots I took after with my 1k army.

Spoiler

IMG_20190428_150523716.jpg.d8c3e894b135790814c7e25f82425792.jpg

IMG_20190428_150531100.jpg.535c23ebdad47979fa2ce152d01a4ae6.jpg

IMG_20190428_150534510.jpg.0a3331ff0a2a0c78ee907cd59db5d64b.jpg

IMG_20190428_150540457.jpg.5f4b30de6ca16ccf054f33d48c7293d1.jpg

IMG_20190428_150544270.jpg.822f40f986c4a80a1b0f928918e84678.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DavionStar said:

- Make my own Warscroll cards. I managed to pick up the official ones, but the text is so small and there are so many rules that it's overwhelming. I'm gonna whip together specific cards for each of my units so only their relevant info is handy.

- Remember my dang Warlord Traits, Sky-port Artycles, and all that. Gonna make cards for these too as fumbling through the book is a pain.

Nice writeup. I recently made some of my own cards but used the text from the app as the official cards are completely out of date. 

Also, if you have a look at ProPainted's website they have tokens for all the kinds of abilities you might need to remember. 

https://www.propaintedstudios.co.uk/collections/dwarf-pirates/products/dwarven-pirates-allegiance-token-sets

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nine7six said:

Question... does Khazgan Drakkskewer really only move 4” instead of 12” like other sky wardens? 

It does Appear to be the case,  Its probably due to the fact that they are a unit so have to keep together.

• Sad 1

New to Kharadron overlords.  I have skimmed through the Battletome to try and get a feel for the lore behind them.

Am I right in understanding that there are no Sky Ports in any other realms except Chamon, or is this a misinterpretation of the background?  I remember seeing a pictorial display of tanks showing each realm, but I can't remember whether it was an indication of trade with these realms or how much aether-gold has been collected from these realms.

I basically have an idea to paint my Overlords up in a sky port of my own devising and would like to set it in Ulgu as I have some ideas how to represent this on the models.  Is this feasible within the lore, or am I best setting the Sky port in Chamon but have the force as an expeditionary fleet into Ulgu?

19 hours ago, Absolution black said:

New to Kharadron overlords.  I have skimmed through the Battletome to try and get a feel for the lore behind them.

Am I right in understanding that there are no Sky Ports in any other realms except Chamon, or is this a misinterpretation of the background?  I remember seeing a pictorial display of tanks showing each realm, but I can't remember whether it was an indication of trade with these realms or how much aether-gold has been collected from these realms.

I basically have an idea to paint my Overlords up in a sky port of my own devising and would like to set it in Ulgu as I have some ideas how to represent this on the models.  Is this feasible within the lore, or am I best setting the Sky port in Chamon but have the force as an expeditionary fleet into Ulgu?

They are all based in Chamon, that is true, but there are plenty of smaller outposts in all the other Realms.  Anywhere where it would be advantageous of a major clan to set up an outpost - they are all about the trading, of course

I'd imagine most if not all of the big Sky-Ports are in Chamon. But the battletome shows what looks like storage for aether-gold from across the realms, so having outposts or even straight up small Sky-Ports in other realms makes sense.

My own, which I forget the name of, is a small Sky-Port by a realm gate that connects Chamon and Shyish, on the spooky side. It was built originally by Barak-Zon as a military Outpost, but got enough population to start it's own mining operations in Shyish. That's what I'm going with anyway.

3 hours ago, DavionStar said:

My own, which I forget the name of, 

I hate to break it to you, but the name may be lost ... 😝

@Absolution black, the free city generator, Here, made it clear that many free cities, across all realms, include a Kharadron trading port, so it’s not a stretch to suggest that some maintain permanent outposts. Mine are cheerfully defending the skies around a sylvaneth grove in Ghyran, which has also been encircled and fortified by a stormcast host as the mounting chaos presence in the area threatens the beleaguered grove. 😊

• Like 1

Hello there, I am looking for a guide to KO. I don't play the faction myself, but a friend just started it and so far he lost 5 battles of 5. I don't want him to lose interest just after 3 weeks :(

He had 2 Battles VS DoK, 2 vs Nighthaunts and 1 vs Sylvaneth. 

The Sylvaneth match was surprisingly close. 

Thanks

They are in a bad place right now.... and those are some tough matchups for a beginner, DOK will turn 1 charge him so he has to start at back of the board, Nighthuant ignores rend and sylvaneth he can't shoot through trees unless unit has fly.

Basics are use arknaughts for Hero's and Thunderers for regular units, I see so many people waste the +1 to hit arknaughts get against heros to shoot battle line units :(so against DOK focus on those Hags and Heroes, try to shoot at max distance always, if you think you are getting charged I put my boat sideways in front of my units to sacrifice it so I can shoot some more before being reached.

2 khemists is a must and an incantor as ally can't hurt, also if he's going to include any boats the only one worth it IMO is Ironclad, rest don't do much.

• Confused 1

I think Sylvaneth is an ok matchup but the other two are for sure rough especially if including Morathi. 

KO are I think better than often given credit for and you do see the odd high tournament finish even with very few KO players. 

I’ve found they’re an army you have to accept your probably not going to table your opponent. Instead it’s turn 1 and 2 kill key units then spread out sacrifice cheaper / less useful units and play objectives. 

Khemist Buffed endrinriggers and arkanaut are very good still and it’s an easy one or two drop army even without battalions if you include a ship. 

• Thanks 2