AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

8 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Thanks! I gave them all pikes. They stand a little behind the warriors or smaller Arkanaut units, so that when the enemy charges the front unit, they can't strike the skywardens, but with the pile in & 2 inch reach, the wardens can all fight back. Works great defending an objective. Urbaz gives you plenty of khemist buffs to go around, and 3 attacks per model at d3 damage is pretty solid against anything with a save of 4+ or worse.

Endrinriggers could probably do the same job, since the Arkanauts and Warriors have 25mm bases, but it would be tougher to get all 9 in to fight.

Good argument and a nice way to use them. Due to their speed I keep looking at them as an aggressive unit or mobile gun platform. 

But it’s good that people try different things with them! Well done you. 

But going from 2 to no frigates. Are you tempted to try a one frigate list? 

19 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Final thoughts:

Hide contents

·       2 wins and 1 losses. I ended up 7th out of 16.

·       The list was really fun to play! I was worried that because of the powerful shooting every game would just be determined by the turn 2 priority roll, or that it might be boring for my opponents to play against, but it didn’t really play out that way.

·       Compared to the 2 frigate list, this has much more firepower, and is more durable (it has twice as many models). The list has 24 skyhooks shots, and well over 100 pistol shots, which can really do some work. The Warriors are a great screen, and the big Company survived every single game. However, you do lose some mobility, which makes games where objectives are in the middle of the board tougher. Also, without the ships, I was at 8 drops, so your opponent gets to pick who goes first most of the time, so you need to deploy in a way that is defensive, but keeps the skyhooks within 28” of priority targets for turn 1.

·       The Urbaz footnote, to shoot or fight in the hero phase once per game, is great. If you go against an enemy that doesn’t have 3” melee attacks, you can position the big AC unit so that they are safe from getting hit in combat, but within 3” of a charging enemy. Just make sure that you actually want to shoot at whatever charges there, since you won’t’ have a choice.

·       I’m not actually seeing that much use from the Earburster. You want to keep your Khemists away from the action, so a lot of times they aren’t in range, and many armies have high bravery, or battleshock immunity options. I’ll probably switch it out for the KO items that gives a dispel.

·       These are just guidelines is also sort of weak. I tried to use it twice, and each time rolled the exact same guideline Barak Urbaz gets by default. I’ll probably swap it out for the battleshock roll of 1 footnote next time.

Thank you for sharing your list, your pics, and your thoughts!  I like Barak Urbaz for many of the same reasons you listed.  One comment I had about the Earbuster is that the trick is to use it after you have shot a unit.  For example, if you shoot a small squad of AC into a unit of 20 models and kill 8 models, then shoot it with the Khemist with Earbuster and kill 1 more model, then all 9 casualties are counted for that immediate Battleshock test (all casualties for that phase).  Then of course they take another Battleshock test at the end of the turn.  So maximize the damage on the unit, then hit it with Earbuster.  It works really well against those high Bravery armies to get rid of models.

1 hour ago, FractalRain said:

Thank you for sharing your list, your pics, and your thoughts!  I like Barak Urbaz for many of the same reasons you listed.  One comment I had about the Earbuster is that the trick is to use it after you have shot a unit.  For example, if you shoot a small squad of AC into a unit of 20 models and kill 8 models, then shoot it with the Khemist with Earbuster and kill 1 more model, then all 9 casualties are counted for that immediate Battleshock test (all casualties for that phase).  Then of course they take another Battleshock test at the end of the turn.  So maximize the damage on the unit, then hit it with Earbuster.  It works really well against those high Bravery armies to get rid of models.

I think the tricky thing with the earbuster on a chemist is it's only 10" range. So if you kill 9 models it's easy for your opponent to remove models to pull it out of range. Also a lot of armies have battleshock immunity now without inspiriring presence which negates any effect the earbuster might have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

But going from 2 to no frigates. Are you tempted to try a one frigate list? 

I tried out a list that had a Frigate, Navigator, and Knight-Incantor instead of the Big Arkanaut unit and Warriors, but I didn't love it. Felt like it just didn't have enough punch. If I had enough Endrinriggers painted, I might try dropping the Warriors, and reducing the big Arkanaut unit to 10 in exchange for a Frigate and a unit of 6 Endrinriggers. Then switching to Zilfin and using the deepstrike artifact. I really liked using the 30 Arkanauts to take out heroes, though.

1 hour ago, FractalRain said:

One comment I had about the Earbuster is that the trick is to use it after you have shot a unit. 

That's a good strategy. Might just be the armies I was going against didn't have great targets for it.  I know in certain situations it can be devastating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

So who thinks that we’ll get a new book soon?  Or that it’ll just be GHB points adjustments?

I really hope to see Endless Spells Science, and maybe terrain with a new book (and dice).

One thing that will help on balancing is if they try to create a mechanic for all this new "hero phase" mechanics: endless spells, permanent prayers and endless Science (skryre, Kharadron Overlords, Ironweld Arsenal, etc...). That could help a bit and make them part of the game and not a supplement (we need to be realistic here, they are part of the game now).

For KO, I really hope to see some type of Everblaze Comet (maybe not that big and without the comet, and some type of bomb or broken container), that can be shoot with any warmachine.

Some more brainstorming:  And Enrinmaster could load again the warmachine/cannon if he is 3"(or embarked). At least, endrinmaster could have a purpose with a mechanic like that (and some nice combos with gunhaulers-delivering "bombs").

4 hours ago, jake3991 said:

I think the tricky thing with the earbuster on a chemist is it's only 10" range. So if you kill 9 models it's easy for your opponent to remove models to pull it out of range. Also a lot of armies have battleshock immunity now without inspiriring presence which negates any effect the earbuster might have.

A lot of  battleshock immunities are tied to the battleshock phase though. 

But your right the range makes it tricky. If you drop it forward with ziflin it gets more likely. It’s a shame it’s so hard to fit in a battalion for that second artefact. 

5 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

I tried out a list that had a Frigate, Navigator, and Knight-Incantor instead of the Big Arkanaut unit and Warriors, but I didn't love it. Felt like it just didn't have enough punch. If I had enough Endrinriggers painted, I might try dropping the Warriors, and reducing the big Arkanaut unit to 10 in exchange for a Frigate and a unit of 6 Endrinriggers. Then switching to Zilfin and using the deepstrike artifact. I really liked using the 30 Arkanauts to take out heroes, though.

Instead of dropping the big squad of arkanauts you could also drop some skywardens in favour of the riggers since you don’t have the dwarf screen in that scenario anyway. Best of both worlds? 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, WatcherintheWater said:

I took KO to a 16 player 3 game tournament this last weekend and thought I would share my write up! Sorry for the wall of text :).

Reveal hidden contents

Tournament points were achieved through the VP gap of your game (between 0 & 5 depending on how much you won or lost the scenario by) and secondary objectives (1 point each, pick 3 per game, no using any twice over the tournament).

My List: Barak-Urbaz. I’ve mostly been playing a 2 frigate Barak Zilfin list, and these were my first games using the 30 man Company unit below.

Additional Footnotes: There’s no trading with some people & These are just guidelines

·       2x Khemists (general with Stickler for the Code and the Gryph-Feather Charm, 2nd Khemist with the Earburster)

·       30 Arkanaut Company

·       2x10 Arkanaut Company

·       12 Endrinriggers w 3 Grapnels

·       9 Skywardens

·       30 Dwarf Warriors

Game 1 (Shifting Objectives)

Reveal hidden contents

Opponent’s List: Blades of Khorne – 4 Bloodthirsters, 20 Bloodletters, 2x5 Flesh Hounds, and 3 Bloodcrushers. The Bloodthirsters were all part of a battalion that let them all attack at the same time in the combat phase, his general had an artifact which let him always fight first in combat, and one had a command ability which lets nearby units pile in and attack from 6” away. Pretty tough combo.

Deployment: I deployed my warriors in a line across the table at the front of my zine, with the small Company units several inches behind, and then the big Company, Endrinriggers, and Skywardens several inches behind them. He basically spread all his stuff out across his front line.

Summary: He gave me the first turn. I ran up the warriors to score the big objective, and pushed everything else up behind them. He rushed forward and whipped out my warriors, scoring all the objectives. I won the turn 2 roll, and shot down 2 of his bloodletters, and got the buffed Endrinriggers into a 3rd. Unfortunately, they rolled poorly and didn’t kill it, although they again scored the big objective. He took them out in his turn, left a couple units guarding the objectives, and got some charges into my smaller Company units, destroying one. I won the turn 3 roll, but was pinned back to far now to really challenge the objectives. I shot off one of his remaining Bloodthirsters, and the Skywardens charged and took care of the other, also scoring the big objective. The rest of the game was just him using some Blood Tithe to summon, and me shooting at his remaining units. I think the only starting unit he had left was a half strength unit of Bloodletters, but by pinning me so far back to start, he was able to win solidly on objectives. We both got 2 of our 3 secondaries. Final tournament point score: 7-2 loss.

What I could have done better:

·       I really messed up deployment in this game. I knew he would have the choice of who went first in round 1, and if he took the turn, I was worried that he could get his Bloodthirsters into 6” pile in range, and through multiple activations, kill the warriors, and get into my Arkanauts. In retrospect, at 24” apart, there was only one Bloodthirster fast enough to have a chance of making it, so I should have placed my Arkanauts much further forward, so that if he gave me the turn (which he did), I could fire my skyhooks.

·       Similarly, I should probably have been more aggressive in pushing forward my other units on 1 to try and get some of the smaller Arkanauts into objective scoring range. I could have scored more in round 1, but also would have kept the bulk of my army closer to scoring range later in the game.

Game 2 (Total Conquest)

Reveal hidden contents

Opponent’s List: Khorne – 2 priests, 1 Bloodthirster, 1 small demon hero (Skulltaker?), 30 Bloodletters, 2 x 5 Flesh Hounds with the Flesh Hound hero, both Khorne Shadespire warbands, a battalion, and a bunch of the Khorne Judgements.

Deployment: I put my Warriors on my right, in a big blob around one objective, with the Endrinriggers behind them. Big Company in the middle, with the Khemist between them and the Endrinriggers. Small Companies on the left, with the Skywardens and Khemist behind them. He put the bulk of his army on my left, a smaller force in the middle, and just 5 Flesh Hounds and one of his Shadespire warbands on my right.

Summary: I gave him the turn and he pushed forward with pretty much everything, but nothing was in charge range. In my half of the turn I opened up with shooting and took out his Bloodthirster, and one Priest, and the Endrinriggers took one of his objectives. I won the turn 2 roll, shot some more stuff, and charged the Endrinriggers into another group of his units, but they were unbuffed, and bit off more than they could chew. He finally got to charge my small Companies with the Bloodletters in his turn, but the Skywardens did a bunch of damage back. He also killed the Endrinriggers. He won the turn 3 roll, and moved over to capture the objective that the Endrinriggers took turn 1, but in my half of the turn the Warriors got a run roll of 5 to capture it back. Game ended due to time after turn 3. I was up by 4 on objectives, and got 2 secondaries, while he got 1. Final tournament point score: 6-2 win.

·       My opponent was a relatively new player, so we took things pretty easy and slow. I do need to remember to be more conservative with unbuffed Endrinriggers, though.

Game 3 (Starfall)

Reveal hidden contents

Opponent’s List: Tallyband of Nurgle – Great Unclean One, Poxbringer, 3x30 Plaguebearers, 3 Plague Drones, 3 Nurglings, and the Tallyband of Nurgle Battalion (heals wounds & regrows d3 Plaguebearers in each unit each turn).

Deployment: I deployed in 2 spread out lines. Front line: Warriors, 2nd line: (left to right) Skywardens, 10 man Companies, big Company, Endrinriggers, with the Khemists interspersed behind. He weighted his deployment to the center and my right. Plaguebearer blobs in front, with the heroes and Drones behind.

Summary: He took turn 1 and pushed forward, and the Nurglings popped up to my left. I pushed forward too, and shot off a drone and Nurgling, but didn’t charge. He won every priority roll from here on. Turn 2, the middle objective came down on my right. He moved one blob over to sit on it, and charged his middle blob into my warriors (who were debuffed by a Nurgle spell). Those two units slapped at each other for the rest of the game. In my turn, I focused fire at the Plaguebearers on the objective, got them below 20, and then charged in with my Endrinriggers, taking them down to 2 left, and scoring the objective to tie the game.

In turn 3 both remaining objectives came down in the middle. He summoned 10 new Plaguebearers to screen my Endrinriggers from flying to his objective, and charged his remaining drones into them. Endrinriggers killed the remaining Plaguebearers and one drone. He only scored his objective. In my turn, I used the Urbaz hero phase attack with the Endrinriggers to clear the last drone, shot off his Poxbringer, and some of the middle Plaguebearers, charged the Skywardens into that middle combat, and took that Plaguebearer unit down to just a handful left, and the Endrinriggers charged and took out his summoned Plaguebearers. He had cast a spell that didn’t let me get far enough to take his objective, so I scored 2 of the 3. There were less than 10 minutes left, so we stopped. I scored 2 of my secondaries and he got 1. Final tournament point score: 5-3.

·       Really fun game. We played slow and chatted quite a bit, and both our armies had a high model count, so the game only went 3 turns. Had we played the full game, I would have maxed out my score. There’s a learning for me. I need to play faster with the higher model count army.

·       I did an OK job with focus fire, but that’s key against Plaguebearers or healing armies. -2 to hit is tough, so I should have just completely ignored the big units until I was ready to fully go after them, and just made sure my skyhooks could shoot heroes and drones.

Final thoughts:

Reveal hidden contents

·       2 wins and 1 losses. I ended up 7th out of 16.

·       The list was really fun to play! I was worried that because of the powerful shooting every game would just be determined by the turn 2 priority roll, or that it might be boring for my opponents to play against, but it didn’t really play out that way.

·       Compared to the 2 frigate list, this has much more firepower, and is more durable (it has twice as many models). The list has 24 skyhooks shots, and well over 100 pistol shots, which can really do some work. The Warriors are a great screen, and the big Company survived every single game. However, you do lose some mobility, which makes games where objectives are in the middle of the board tougher. Also, without the ships, I was at 8 drops, so your opponent gets to pick who goes first most of the time, so you need to deploy in a way that is defensive, but keeps the skyhooks within 28” of priority targets for turn 1.

·       The Urbaz footnote, to shoot or fight in the hero phase once per game, is great. If you go against an enemy that doesn’t have 3” melee attacks, you can position the big AC unit so that they are safe from getting hit in combat, but within 3” of a charging enemy. Just make sure that you actually want to shoot at whatever charges there, since you won’t’ have a choice.

·       I’m not actually seeing that much use from the Earburster. You want to keep your Khemists away from the action, so a lot of times they aren’t in range, and many armies have high bravery, or battleshock immunity options. I’ll probably switch it out for the KO items that gives a dispel.

·       These are just guidelines is also sort of weak. I tried to use it twice, and each time rolled the exact same guideline Barak Urbaz gets by default. I’ll probably swap it out for the battleshock roll of 1 footnote next time.

3.jpg

Really interesting write up- love the look of that army build and how you used SkyWardens- thanks for sharing. Your army looks pretty cool too from the photos!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kramer said:

Instead of dropping the big squad of arkanauts you could also drop some skywardens in favour of the riggers since you don’t have the dwarf screen in that scenario anyway. Best of both worlds?

That's probably a better list. I  think you need some sort of screen to protect the big unit of Arkanuats, though. If you put the Endrinriggers, one Khemist, and 10 Arkanauts in the Frigate, you would have the big Arkanaut unit, 1 Khemist, and one 10 man Arkanaut unit really exposed on the board. Fast combat armies can take them out super easy. So maybe you could drop the Skywardens, bump the big Arkanaut unit back up to 30, move one up to 20 to screen the big unit, and put the 10 man unit in the boat.

15 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

That's probably a better list. I  think you need some sort of screen to protect the big unit of Arkanuats, though. If you put the Endrinriggers, one Khemist, and 10 Arkanauts in the Frigate, you would have the big Arkanaut unit, 1 Khemist, and one 10 man Arkanaut unit really exposed on the board. Fast combat armies can take them out super easy. So maybe you could drop the Skywardens, bump the big Arkanaut unit back up to 30, move one up to 20 to screen the big unit, and put the 10 man unit in the boat.

Seems fair. But yes screening keeps being a difficult role to fill with KO. I’ll mulch your points over a bit and come up with something. Because I also still like the ziflin ship dropping 10+ thunderers with a khemist. At least to try it out a few games.  Sadly not all cool ideas fit ;) 

33 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Seems fair. But yes screening keeps being a difficult role to fill with KO. I’ll mulch your points over a bit and come up with something. Because I also still like the ziflin ship dropping 10+ thunderers with a khemist. At least to try it out a few games.  Sadly not all cool ideas fit ;) 

Nice list and games! I think your dice must have been worse then you calmly mention vs Khorne game 1. 4 bloodthirsters is fairly much a dream matchup for KO as they’re terrible points to wounds on 4+ saves no shrugs can’t get look out sir and whips have been nerfed (a salty also Khorne player here ;) as one of my too many armies). 

In the thunderers coming out of a ship I just always recommend multiple 5 man squads these days. As you get 12 shots per 5 you get nearly as many shots without needing a khemist and all the advantages of MSU (multiple mortal wounds vs chargers, ability to only lose 5 models at a time if properly staggered

If you have even 20 in an ironclad with Khemist it’s 62 shots where as 25 in the same ironclad coming from the sky MSU is 60 shots but 60 points cheaper   (Not including the Khemist shots though! Although as you talk about earlier his 10” range can be very limiting).

#voteMSU

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

Nice list and games! I think your dice must have been worse then you calmly mention vs Khorne game 1. 4 bloodthirsters is fairly much a dream matchup for KO as they’re terrible points to wounds on 4+ saves no shrugs can’t get look out sir and whips have been nerfed (a salty also Khorne player here ;) as one of my too many armies). 

Bad positioning by me + bad dice when my Endrinriggers charged one of his Bloodthristers. Usually, 9 buffed Endrinriggers can take out a Bloodthirster in one round, but every once in a while you just whiff on the dice. Especially when you have a weapon with a random damage roll. 

Even with that, I out killed him. But because I deployed too conservatively, he was able to pin most of my army back out of objective range, I couldn't get enough units onto objectives. I think that's the biggest flaw with a beta strike, no ship KO list like mine, especially in scenarios where all the objectives are in the middle of the board. One alternative would have been to just suicide the Endrinriggers forward on turn 1, and make him deal with them instead of getting to push everything forward. That would cost me a quarter of my army in terms of points, but might be a worthwhile trade to shift where most of the fighting takes place. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Bad positioning by me + bad dice when my Endrinriggers charged one of his Bloodthristers. Usually, 9 buffed Endrinriggers can take out a Bloodthirster in one round, but every once in a while you just whiff on the dice. Especially when you have a weapon with a random damage roll. 

Even with that, I out killed him. But because I deployed too conservatively, he was able to pin most of my army back out of objective range, I couldn't get enough units onto objectives. I think that's the biggest flaw with a beta strike, no ship KO list like mine, especially in scenarios where all the objectives are in the middle of the board. One alternative would have been to just suicide the Endrinriggers forward on turn 1, and make him deal with them instead of getting to push everything forward. That would cost me a quarter of my army in terms of points, but might be a worthwhile trade to shift where most of the fighting takes place. 

It feels like you lost to the ability to summon honestly. He threw his army forward, they all died, but that just meant he could pop summons on objectives and didn’t have to care about keeping a reserve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

In the thunderers coming out of a ship I just always recommend multiple 5 man squads these days. As you get 12 shots per 5 you get nearly as many shots without needing a khemist and all the advantages of MSU (multiple mortal wounds vs chargers, ability to only lose 5 models at a time if properly staggered

If you have even 20 in an ironclad with Khemist it’s 62 shots where as 25 in the same ironclad coming from the sky MSU is 60 shots but 60 points cheaper   (Not including the Khemist shots though! Although as you talk about earlier his 10” range can be very limiting).

Interesting points. MSU does have its disadvantages though on the retreat activation. Which can be massive in the objective game. 

But you are right MSU in damage output seems a lot more interesting with your arguments.

in the same vein I’m now wondering what the numbers are on 15 thunderers with the special weapons load out. Because I dislike the extra ‘admin’ I never really looked into it. But if anybody has a mind to test/mathhammer it. Might break my assumption that all rifles is just the better option.

Have a 2000p game next week against a friend who will be bringing FEC for the first time. He generally plays the best stuff, but I have no idea what FEC does aside from I don’t want to ever be in combat with a dragon unless I can charge and kill it immediately (but don’t they have an ability to go first even if I charge?)

Brokk

Khemist

3x10 Arkanauts

1x20 Thunderers (rifles)

1x12 Endrinriggers (Saws)

Knight Incantor

1x5 Evocators

The arkanauts will serve as screens; Evo’s and Riggers with heroes behind, Thunderers last. I was thinking Barak Urbaz so the Khemist can buff the Thunderers’ rifles and the Riggers saws at least for turn 1. Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Interesting points. MSU does have its disadvantages though on the retreat activation. Which can be massive in the objective game. 

But you are right MSU in damage output seems a lot more interesting with your arguments.

in the same vein I’m now wondering what the numbers are on 15 thunderers with the special weapons load out. Because I dislike the extra ‘admin’ I never really looked into it. But if anybody has a mind to test/mathhammer it. Might break my assumption that all rifles is just the better option.

The problem is the math isn’t exact as the mortar has to cause and unsaved wound and with 3 you only average 1 wound with no rend so against any unit with a reasonable save it likely won’t go off. 

decksweeper is slightly better than buffed rifle with mortar boost or slightly worse without. The re roll on shots isn’t a huge deal (4.5 extra shots per 6 shot rolls) although it does protect you against terrible rolls.

The cannon even without decksweeper is fairly much worth it  it averages 5/6 damage at -2 per model where as a 3 shot buffed rifle averages 1 at -1 per model  once you add in the re rolls from decksweeper the cannon jumps up to 1.46 damage at -2 per model  

however the issue with all the special weapons is range 12 so any form of screen keeps them from hitting valuable units. For pure damage output and balance then I would probably run deck sweepers, cannons and then rest rifle as the mortar is pretty terrible and it’s buff not that great. Then khemist buff the rifles and the cannons as long as you can get round the 12” range issue. 

Saying all that as the aim with KO is to kill all models in range every turn I prefer pure rifle longer range as doesn’t need any character support.

—-

also indeed your right MSU does have downsides not just the activation and retreat game but worse now are endless spells. You have to kill any wizards as a priority as even d3 mortal wounds each over 4 to 5 units is extremely damaging.

3 hours ago, Serpico said:

Have a 2000p game next week against a friend who will be bringing FEC for the first time. He generally plays the best stuff, but I have no idea what FEC does aside from I don’t want to ever be in combat with a dragon unless I can charge and kill it immediately (but don’t they have an ability to go first even if I charge?)

Brokk

Khemist

3x10 Arkanauts

1x20 Thunderers (rifles)

1x12 Endrinriggers (Saws)

Knight Incantor

1x5 Evocators

The arkanauts will serve as screens; Evo’s and Riggers with heroes behind, Thunderers last. I was thinking Barak Urbaz so the Khemist can buff the Thunderers’ rifles and the Riggers saws at least for turn 1. Thoughts?

If your going urbaz I would drop Brokk for another khemist and either more thunderers or another hero. This means you would get 4 units buffed and a place for the bonus artifact. 

Or list as is I would probably run Thryng and just pick his one or two scariest things and re roll 1s against them. 

The FEC fight first General is only if they’re gristlegore although that is the most played. If he is then basically you cannot engage it in melee at all. It’s damage output is insane and it will kill whatever hits it before they can swing. Of course being KO you can gun it down :) Thryng would help here. 

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

If your going urbaz I would drop Brokk for another khemist and either more thunderers or another hero. This means you would get 4 units buffed and a place for the bonus artifact. 

Or list as is I would probably run Thryng and just pick his one or two scariest things and re roll 1s against them. 

The FEC fight first General is only if they’re gristlegore although that is the most played. If he is then basically you cannot engage it in melee at all. It’s damage output is insane and it will kill whatever hits it before they can swing. Of course being KO you can gun it down :) Thryng would help here. 

Thanks for all that! Will definitely consider Thryyng. Should I consider Mhornar too? Seems like if we’re talking about focus-firing against his scariest thing re-rolling hits would be better? (Plus rum and shoot on t1 and the change to pile in and attack in the hero phase 1/game)

Edited by Serpico

18 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Thanks for all that! Will definitely consider Thryyng. Should I consider Mhornar too? Seems like if we’re talking about focus-firing against his scariest thing re-rolling hits would be better? (Plus rum and shoot on t1 and the change to pile in and attack in the hero phase 1/game)

Mhornar is very good as well, really whatever you feel fits you better. If going Mhornar I like to give the general thermalrider cloak for improved mobility and fly to get his re roll bubble where it’s needed. Flip side people often also like to give him a defensive artifact to keep him alive. 

Hey guys

I'm going into a finals of a slow grown 8 week campaign next week with my KO list.
Ive been playing AOS for just under a year and I'm still getting to grips with really understanding the rules and maximising my KO's potential.

My list was dictated by what I had available, I was very succesful in the campaign with a near 100% win rate and one major loss to a FEC List with 2 Abhorrent Ghoul King's on Terrorgheists.
My theory on KO is to maximise their shooting potential to the exclusion of all other aspects, taking massed Arkonauts and Khemists as a force multiplier.
My strategy in the campaign and out of with KO has always been to do as much damage as possible, removing as many units as possible through damage while doing the maximum movement and so on to take objectives/play the scenario.

My list is as follows

LEADERS M S W B

Barak Urbaz
Aether-Khemist (160) 4" 4+ 5 7
- General
- Command Trait : Doughty Champion
- Artefact : Aethersight Loupe
Lord-Arcanum (180) 9" 3+ 5 9
- Spell : Chain Lightning
- Allies
UNITS M S W B
20 x Arkanaut Company (240) 4" 5+ 1 6
- 6 x Light Skyhooks
- 6 x Light Skyhooks
- 6 x Light Skyhooks
3 x Endrinriggers (120) 12" 4+ 2 7
- 1 x Drill Cannons
- 1 x Grapnel Launchers
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (100) 4" 4+ 1 7
5 x Evocators (200) 5" 4+ 3 8
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Allies
WAR MACHINES M S W B
Grundstok Gunhauler (160) 12" 5+ 10 7
ENDLESS SPELLS

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

My opponents list is FEC and as follows.

LEADERS M S W B
Abhorrant Archregent (200) 6" 4+ 7 10
- Artefact : The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness : Spectral Host
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400) 14"* 4+ 14 10
- General
- Command Trait : Magestic Horror
- Artefact : The Grim Garland
- Lore of Madness : Monstrous Vigour
- Mount Trait : Gruesome Bite
- Lore of Madness : Blood Feast
Crypt Ghast Courtier (60) 6" 5+ 4 10
UNITS M S W B
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360) 6" 6+ 1 10
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100) 6" 6+ 1 10
3 x Crypt Horrors (160) 7" 5+ 4 10
BATTALIONS
King's Ghouls (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

What I'm asking is, what general tips and advice do you guys have for me about playing KO as a gunline.

My main strategy will be to take out the terrorgheists hopefully first turn before they can start deleting ****** and summoning half an army.

I buff the three arko units and then chose the most optimal 4th unit to buff whatever the case may be.

Using Urbaz I can get a free shot once a game with the buffed unit of Arkonauts.

I'll be ranking my arko's 6 across to give the line more flexibility in the deployment and allowing the evocators to deploy behind them and counter charge when needed.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

42 minutes ago, cadmachine said:

Hey guys

I'm going into a finals of a slow grown 8 week campaign next week with my KO list.
Ive been playing AOS for just under a year and I'm still getting to grips with really understanding the rules and maximising my KO's potential.

My list was dictated by what I had available, I was very succesful in the campaign with a near 100% win rate and one major loss to a FEC List with 2 Abhorrent Ghoul King's on Terrorgheists.
My theory on KO is to maximise their shooting potential to the exclusion of all other aspects, taking massed Arkonauts and Khemists as a force multiplier.
My strategy in the campaign and out of with KO has always been to do as much damage as possible, removing as many units as possible through damage while doing the maximum movement and so on to take objectives/play the scenario.

My list is as follows

LEADERS M S W B

Barak Urbaz
- General
- Command Trait : Doughty Champion
- Artefact : Aethersight Loupe
Lord-Arcanum (180) 9" 3+ 5 9
- Spell : Chain Lightning
- Allies
UNITS M S W B
- 6 x Light Skyhooks
- 6 x Light Skyhooks
- 6 x Light Skyhooks
3 x Endrinriggers (120) 12" 4+ 2 7
- 1 x Drill Cannons
- 1 x Grapnel Launchers
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (100) 4" 4+ 1 7
5 x Evocators (200) 5" 4+ 3 8
- 5 x Grandstaves
- Allies
WAR MACHINES M S W B
ENDLESS SPELLS

Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

My opponents list is FEC and as follows.

LEADERS M S W B
Abhorrant Archregent (200) 6" 4+ 7 10
- Artefact : The Dermal Robe
- Lore of Madness : Spectral Host
- General
- Command Trait : Magestic Horror
- Artefact : The Grim Garland
- Lore of Madness : Monstrous Vigour
- Lore of Madness : Blood Feast
UNITS M S W B
40 x Crypt Ghouls (360) 6" 6+ 1 10
3 x Crypt Horrors (160) 7" 5+ 4 10
BATTALIONS
King's Ghouls (120)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chalice of Ushoran (40)

What I'm asking is, what general tips and advice do you guys have for me about playing KO as a gunline.

My main strategy will be to take out the terrorgheists hopefully first turn before they can start deleting ****** and summoning half an army.

I buff the three arko units and then chose the most optimal 4th unit to buff whatever the case may be.

Using Urbaz I can get a free shot once a game with the buffed unit of Arkonauts.

I'll be ranking my arko's 6 across to give the line more flexibility in the deployment and allowing the evocators to deploy behind them and counter charge when needed.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

While I certainly can't claim a near 100% win rate. (not to mention my scores with KO 😂) What value do you get out of the Gunhaulers? Except availabilty of course? My Initial thought would be to change those two for a frigate and a navigator and give him the Aethersight Loupe. Because
1. A 3d6 dispel is very good.  (unless that FAQ'ed, but didn't mark that in my book)
2. It gives you some movement/transport options for objective play.
3. A potential movement debuff vs flying (terrorgheists for example ;) )

Another thing, doesn't Urbaz give you a second Artefact of Power? 

My last thought would be to maximise the extra round of shooting from the footnote by maxing out one unit of arkanauts to 40. This of course would also have some disadvantages as well. 

Again just some generals thoughts. Curious to hear your reply on this. 

Edited by Kramer

Regarding FEC for both queries above - they have some nasty tools now.  That Archregent can use a command point to summon 20 ghouls or 3 crypt ghouls/flayers.  So keep in mind that the player could effectively summon some nasty stuff every turn.  Also, the ghouls get many many attacks, especially when ghasts/spells/chalice are used on them and they are in large numbers - so while they have weak saves, they hit hard.  The FEC also have new Battleshock-manipulating tools with many abilities/units which drop Bravery -so make sure you understand what causes Bravery penalties so you can mitigate the damage or save your command points for auto-passing tests.

Alright. I've got an updated 2k list to share for opinions.

Arkanaut Admiral - General, Aethersight Loupe, Rising Star

Aether Khemist

Grimwrath Berserker

1x20 Arkanaut Company - Skyhooks

1x10 Arkanaut Company - Volleyguns

1x10 Arkanaut Company - Skypikes

2x10 Gunstock Thunderers - Rifles (for range)

1x6 Endrinriggers - Saws

1x10 Hearthguard Berserkers - Broadaxe

Arkanaut Frigate - Last Word, Cannon

This should add up to 1980 pts with the new Fyreslayer battletome.

The big changes from my old 2k list is updated allies, removal of the Endrinmaster (replaced with the Grimwrath basically), splitting my Thunderers into 2 units, and changing one of my Companies to Skyhooks and boosting them to 20.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:40 AM, IneptusAstartes said:

I fear that a KO release will be only a 2.0 tome, endless “spells”, and a terrain piece. Unless they really buff the skyvessels I’d rather wait for a bigger release later on.

Right now the likeliest big release (besides Hedonites, which is confirmed) is Seraphon. The dinosaurs are one of GW’s hottest IPs (citation needed) and a huge update would sell like hot lizards. The entire KO range is new so it’s less likely.

I mean I don't really think we need any more models - as cool as they might be.  Of course, I have tons of ideas that I'd love to see as options, but our roster seems fine, currently.

Clearly we need more Battle Line options, but that can be solved by taking current units and making them either full or conditional Battle Line.  Something to the effect of "if you take an Admiral in your army, then Sky Wardens may be taken as Battle Line units" or something similar.  

So while I would like to see additional models, we could pretty easily make do with the models we already have.  Just give us a Tome, terrain and Endless Spells and we would probably be fine. 

What we really need is something like the Fyreslayers - where literally every single War Scroll got a change of some degree.  Let our models function like they are supposed to do in the fluff.  That's what we need.

• Like 3