AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

40 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Hey so is the Gunhauler a complete waste of my time? I want it in my Fyreslayers army because I like the model and it is fluffy and would match my skywardens but I'm worried literally any Fyreslayers unit would be a better call. 

I mean. Theyre faster than a ironweld arsenal cannon without the range or the two shots. Theyre not great... right now... Id hold out. Ive been assembling mine and putting them ready to get painted. I have hope. The way these new books have gone big boys have gotten stronger. They really are monster focused. Everyones getting a new book who at least has a battle tome currently. And they'll have it within the next year which means we're getting a book soon tm. The ships are pretty dope looking models just mostly utility game wise. So in order to sell more dope looking models hopefully they make em pretty good and hopefully theres a possibility at a K.O. air force army being a real thing.

short answer, right now, not at all its a waste of 160 points unless you think it looks cool.

• Sad 2

I want more than a book I think we need wave 2 of our army at this point we are too limited for a mere update. I don't even think a book alone or even terrain, endless spells, and a new leader would cut it. We need some sort of bulky melee unit to hold the line and offer more options. That and boats to be better or just to get a better bigger dedicated combat ship. 

So frustrated with this army right now. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Barkanaut said:

I want more than a book I think we need wave 2 of our army at this point we are too limited for a mere update. I don't even think a book alone or even terrain, endless spells, and a new leader would cut it. We need some sort of bulky melee unit to hold the line and offer more options. That and boats to be better or just to get a better bigger dedicated combat ship. 

So frustrated with this army right now. 

Heck, I’d settle for a giant floating long-range turret as a terrain piece. But holding out for “Big Daddy” Terminator suits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

For all the grandallegiances! 

On an Italian forum a guy claim that the owner of a shop (that predicted fyreslayers tome in a similar way during the skaven&fec week) told him that KO updates are a next month release. Take it with 2 kg of salt.

I have my doubts lol but who knows. 

16 minutes ago, Furuzzolo said:

For all the grandallegiances! 

On an Italian forum a guy claim that the owner of a shop (that predicted fyreslayers tome in a similar way during the skaven&fec week) told him that KO updates are a next month release. Take it with 2 kg of salt.

I fear that a KO release will be only a 2.0 tome, endless “spells”, and a terrain piece. Unless they really buff the skyvessels I’d rather wait for a bigger release later on.

Right now the likeliest big release (besides Hedonites, which is confirmed) is Seraphon. The dinosaurs are one of GW’s hottest IPs (citation needed) and a huge update would sell like hot lizards. The entire KO range is new so it’s less likely.

3 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

In the post he said tome, set of dice and scenery. But AGAIN, do not get hyped, the source is kinda random....

Less a grain of salt and more an entire quarry of the stuff, but I’d love this to be true. 

GHB armies (especially seraphon and ironjawz) probably deserve the priority at the moment though. 

2 hours ago, Grudgebearer said:

That would be sufficient for me :) If they adjust some points and make the ships more playable I think we are in a fine spot.

Agreed! KO has an awesome range, it's not that the book is stuck in the past, it has been subject to a nerf at every juncture since its release.The biggest thing is skyhooks going from 3 damage to D3 combined with new books power surge, KO got left behind on the damage output train. I think a slight tune up on points and  we are off to the races.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jake3991 said:

Agreed! KO has an awesome range, it's not that the book is stuck in the past, it has been subject to a nerf at every juncture since its release.The biggest thing is skyhooks going from 3 damage to D3 combined with new books power surge, KO got left behind on the damage output train. I think a slight tune up on points and  we are off to the races.  

Just finished playing at Broadside Bash GT.  I will tell you that the lack of "extra" compared to other 2.0 armies was def felt.  By "extra" it is just the little things that add up it is hard to explain.  I truly enjoyed playing against Nighthaunt as zilfin because everything I could reroll 1's bc they are all fliers.  The lack of a solid option to combat against magic really really hurt.  One major thing we have going is that we don't quite have a "meta" list.  Not many knew what my list did so one opponent placed Nagash and arkhan close enough to where after movement phase they were dead in the shooting phase... didn't even need to get my riggers into combat with him.

What will really hurt is when/if ark co get hit with the way Skaven did with stormfiends... can only equip with whats in the box.  So there goes my skyhook spam.

Edited by Cvaldor

15 hours ago, IneptusAstartes said:

Right now the likeliest big release (besides Hedonites, which is confirmed) is Seraphon. The dinosaurs are one of GW’s hottest IPs (citation needed) and a huge update would sell like hot lizards. The entire KO range is new so it’s less likely.

I'm pretty sure Undivided chaos is the big update since it is a Herald army.

Thats the big problem right now honestly, the whole strategy of "Herald armies get the model update" might have sort of backfired in terms of people getting excited for new models for army updates.

Slaanesh breaks that rule, but only because of daemons being usable both in 40k and AoS. I mean theres quite a lot of worry that there will be very few if any mortal slaanesh stuff.

Edited by kenshin620

Planning ahead. My 2k army idea had a big blob of 20 Thunderers in it. Originally I was thinking of going with the special weapons if only cause of the variety of looks and the potential to get those combo bonuses. But looking at the scroll again, I lose a good 6 inches of range if I go that route. From those more experienced, would I be better off going all rifles just for the boost from 12" to 18"? Honestly at this point I'm more concerned about the range than the reliable damage. 😜

Also, is a 20 unit block better than a pair of 10s? Just kinda refreshing myself on these things.

And one more thing, the new group of Fyreslayers I was going to ally in thanks to the updates includes a hero. It seems a bit over kill to bring 4 heroes in a 2k army. So I was thinking about swapping out my Endrinmaster (there's only the one boat in this particular list anyway) for something else. Any suggestions? I had a 6 model Riggers unit. I could boost that up to 9. Or maybe I could beef up one of the Arkanaut Companies.

1 hour ago, nine7six said:

Hi Everyone,

Back to playing KO after a hiatus, just wanted to confirm something as I read all the FAQ's. Can zilfin no longer deepstrike and then deploy?

You can still deepstrike and deploy. Both are at the start of the hero phase. You can no longer deploy after using ‘there is always a breeze if you look for it’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavionStar said:

Planning ahead. My 2k army idea had a big blob of 20 Thunderers in it. Originally I was thinking of going with the special weapons if only cause of the variety of looks and the potential to get those combo bonuses. But looking at the scroll again, I lose a good 6 inches of range if I go that route. From those more experienced, would I be better off going all rifles just for the boost from 12" to 18"? Honestly at this point I'm more concerned about the range than the reliable damage. 😜

Also, is a 20 unit block better than a pair of 10s? Just kinda refreshing myself on these things.

And one more thing, the new group of Fyreslayers I was going to ally in thanks to the updates includes a hero. It seems a bit over kill to bring 4 heroes in a 2k army. So I was thinking about swapping out my Endrinmaster (there's only the one boat in this particular list anyway) for something else. Any suggestions? I had a 6 model Riggers unit. I could boost that up to 9. Or maybe I could beef up one of the Arkanaut Companies.

Actually I think thunderers are best in 5s

you get all the extra champions shots and multiple mortal wounds when people charge you. Then you can screen and just lose one 5 man or possibly even run them away. 

Also for people asking for a bulky unit we can just ally in fyreslayers as their new scrolls for VB and grimwrath don’t need any support to work. 

Or maybe even 10 HB (who are amazing now) and a hero to boost their save after save. 

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

Actually I think thunderers are best in 5s

you get all the extra champions shots and multiple mortal wounds when people charge you. Then you can screen and just lose one 5 man or possibly even run them away. 

Also for people asking for a bulky unit we can just ally in fyreslayers as their new scrolls for VB and grimwrath don’t need any support to work. 

Or maybe even 10 HB (who are amazing now) and a hero to boost their save after save. 

I'll have to think about that. And yeah, over in the Fyreslayers topic I asked about changing up my allies and got suggested 10 HB and a Grimwrath or Battlesmith for support.

I took KO to a 16 player 3 game tournament this last weekend and thought I would share my write up! Sorry for the wall of text :).

Spoiler

Tournament points were achieved through the VP gap of your game (between 0 & 5 depending on how much you won or lost the scenario by) and secondary objectives (1 point each, pick 3 per game, no using any twice over the tournament).

My List: Barak-Urbaz. I’ve mostly been playing a 2 frigate Barak Zilfin list, and these were my first games using the 30 man Company unit below.

Additional Footnotes: There’s no trading with some people & These are just guidelines

·       2x Khemists (general with Stickler for the Code and the Gryph-Feather Charm, 2nd Khemist with the Earburster)

·       30 Arkanaut Company

·       2x10 Arkanaut Company

·       12 Endrinriggers w 3 Grapnels

·       9 Skywardens

·       30 Dwarf Warriors

Game 1 (Shifting Objectives)

Spoiler

Opponent’s List: Blades of Khorne – 4 Bloodthirsters, 20 Bloodletters, 2x5 Flesh Hounds, and 3 Bloodcrushers. The Bloodthirsters were all part of a battalion that let them all attack at the same time in the combat phase, his general had an artifact which let him always fight first in combat, and one had a command ability which lets nearby units pile in and attack from 6” away. Pretty tough combo.

Deployment: I deployed my warriors in a line across the table at the front of my zine, with the small Company units several inches behind, and then the big Company, Endrinriggers, and Skywardens several inches behind them. He basically spread all his stuff out across his front line.

Summary: He gave me the first turn. I ran up the warriors to score the big objective, and pushed everything else up behind them. He rushed forward and whipped out my warriors, scoring all the objectives. I won the turn 2 roll, and shot down 2 of his bloodletters, and got the buffed Endrinriggers into a 3rd. Unfortunately, they rolled poorly and didn’t kill it, although they again scored the big objective. He took them out in his turn, left a couple units guarding the objectives, and got some charges into my smaller Company units, destroying one. I won the turn 3 roll, but was pinned back to far now to really challenge the objectives. I shot off one of his remaining Bloodthirsters, and the Skywardens charged and took care of the other, also scoring the big objective. The rest of the game was just him using some Blood Tithe to summon, and me shooting at his remaining units. I think the only starting unit he had left was a half strength unit of Bloodletters, but by pinning me so far back to start, he was able to win solidly on objectives. We both got 2 of our 3 secondaries. Final tournament point score: 7-2 loss.

What I could have done better:

·       I really messed up deployment in this game. I knew he would have the choice of who went first in round 1, and if he took the turn, I was worried that he could get his Bloodthirsters into 6” pile in range, and through multiple activations, kill the warriors, and get into my Arkanauts. In retrospect, at 24” apart, there was only one Bloodthirster fast enough to have a chance of making it, so I should have placed my Arkanauts much further forward, so that if he gave me the turn (which he did), I could fire my skyhooks.

·       Similarly, I should probably have been more aggressive in pushing forward my other units on 1 to try and get some of the smaller Arkanauts into objective scoring range. I could have scored more in round 1, but also would have kept the bulk of my army closer to scoring range later in the game.

Game 2 (Total Conquest)

Spoiler

Opponent’s List: Khorne – 2 priests, 1 Bloodthirster, 1 small demon hero (Skulltaker?), 30 Bloodletters, 2 x 5 Flesh Hounds with the Flesh Hound hero, both Khorne Shadespire warbands, a battalion, and a bunch of the Khorne Judgements.

Deployment: I put my Warriors on my right, in a big blob around one objective, with the Endrinriggers behind them. Big Company in the middle, with the Khemist between them and the Endrinriggers. Small Companies on the left, with the Skywardens and Khemist behind them. He put the bulk of his army on my left, a smaller force in the middle, and just 5 Flesh Hounds and one of his Shadespire warbands on my right.

Summary: I gave him the turn and he pushed forward with pretty much everything, but nothing was in charge range. In my half of the turn I opened up with shooting and took out his Bloodthirster, and one Priest, and the Endrinriggers took one of his objectives. I won the turn 2 roll, shot some more stuff, and charged the Endrinriggers into another group of his units, but they were unbuffed, and bit off more than they could chew. He finally got to charge my small Companies with the Bloodletters in his turn, but the Skywardens did a bunch of damage back. He also killed the Endrinriggers. He won the turn 3 roll, and moved over to capture the objective that the Endrinriggers took turn 1, but in my half of the turn the Warriors got a run roll of 5 to capture it back. Game ended due to time after turn 3. I was up by 4 on objectives, and got 2 secondaries, while he got 1. Final tournament point score: 6-2 win.

·       My opponent was a relatively new player, so we took things pretty easy and slow. I do need to remember to be more conservative with unbuffed Endrinriggers, though.

Game 3 (Starfall)

Spoiler

Opponent’s List: Tallyband of Nurgle – Great Unclean One, Poxbringer, 3x30 Plaguebearers, 3 Plague Drones, 3 Nurglings, and the Tallyband of Nurgle Battalion (heals wounds & regrows d3 Plaguebearers in each unit each turn).

Deployment: I deployed in 2 spread out lines. Front line: Warriors, 2nd line: (left to right) Skywardens, 10 man Companies, big Company, Endrinriggers, with the Khemists interspersed behind. He weighted his deployment to the center and my right. Plaguebearer blobs in front, with the heroes and Drones behind.

Summary: He took turn 1 and pushed forward, and the Nurglings popped up to my left. I pushed forward too, and shot off a drone and Nurgling, but didn’t charge. He won every priority roll from here on. Turn 2, the middle objective came down on my right. He moved one blob over to sit on it, and charged his middle blob into my warriors (who were debuffed by a Nurgle spell). Those two units slapped at each other for the rest of the game. In my turn, I focused fire at the Plaguebearers on the objective, got them below 20, and then charged in with my Endrinriggers, taking them down to 2 left, and scoring the objective to tie the game.

In turn 3 both remaining objectives came down in the middle. He summoned 10 new Plaguebearers to screen my Endrinriggers from flying to his objective, and charged his remaining drones into them. Endrinriggers killed the remaining Plaguebearers and one drone. He only scored his objective. In my turn, I used the Urbaz hero phase attack with the Endrinriggers to clear the last drone, shot off his Poxbringer, and some of the middle Plaguebearers, charged the Skywardens into that middle combat, and took that Plaguebearer unit down to just a handful left, and the Endrinriggers charged and took out his summoned Plaguebearers. He had cast a spell that didn’t let me get far enough to take his objective, so I scored 2 of the 3. There were less than 10 minutes left, so we stopped. I scored 2 of my secondaries and he got 1. Final tournament point score: 5-3.

·       Really fun game. We played slow and chatted quite a bit, and both our armies had a high model count, so the game only went 3 turns. Had we played the full game, I would have maxed out my score. There’s a learning for me. I need to play faster with the higher model count army.

·       I did an OK job with focus fire, but that’s key against Plaguebearers or healing armies. -2 to hit is tough, so I should have just completely ignored the big units until I was ready to fully go after them, and just made sure my skyhooks could shoot heroes and drones.

Final thoughts:

Spoiler

·       2 wins and 1 losses. I ended up 7th out of 16.

·       The list was really fun to play! I was worried that because of the powerful shooting every game would just be determined by the turn 2 priority roll, or that it might be boring for my opponents to play against, but it didn’t really play out that way.

·       Compared to the 2 frigate list, this has much more firepower, and is more durable (it has twice as many models). The list has 24 skyhooks shots, and well over 100 pistol shots, which can really do some work. The Warriors are a great screen, and the big Company survived every single game. However, you do lose some mobility, which makes games where objectives are in the middle of the board tougher. Also, without the ships, I was at 8 drops, so your opponent gets to pick who goes first most of the time, so you need to deploy in a way that is defensive, but keeps the skyhooks within 28” of priority targets for turn 1.

·       The Urbaz footnote, to shoot or fight in the hero phase once per game, is great. If you go against an enemy that doesn’t have 3” melee attacks, you can position the big AC unit so that they are safe from getting hit in combat, but within 3” of a charging enemy. Just make sure that you actually want to shoot at whatever charges there, since you won’t’ have a choice.

·       I’m not actually seeing that much use from the Earburster. You want to keep your Khemists away from the action, so a lot of times they aren’t in range, and many armies have high bravery, or battleshock immunity options. I’ll probably switch it out for the KO items that gives a dispel.

·       These are just guidelines is also sort of weak. I tried to use it twice, and each time rolled the exact same guideline Barak Urbaz gets by default. I’ll probably swap it out for the battleshock roll of 1 footnote next time.

1.jpg

2p.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

33 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Nice write up @WatcherintheWater. Sounds like a fun day out. 

Can i ask how you equipped your skywardens? I mostly feel they have value as a mobile gun unit. But you seem to have gained the most advantages from them by charging them. 

Thanks! I gave them all pikes. They stand a little behind the warriors or smaller Arkanaut units, so that when the enemy charges the front unit, they can't strike the skywardens, but with the pile in & 2 inch reach, the wardens can all fight back. Works great defending an objective. Urbaz gives you plenty of khemist buffs to go around, and 3 attacks per model at d3 damage is pretty solid against anything with a save of 4+ or worse.

Endrinriggers could probably do the same job, since the Arkanauts and Warriors have 25mm bases, but it would be tougher to get all 9 in to fight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1