AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, DavionStar said:

Here's progress on my Frigate! I'm really happy with how it's turning out. I just need to work on some more details and the crew. But it's nearly there.

IMG_20190409_233823456.jpg

How are you liking painting it? 

Striking colour scheme by the way! Looks really good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kramer said:

How are you liking painting it? 

Striking colour scheme by the way! Looks really good. 

It's been nice painting a bigger model for once. XD The purple areas will be a slightly different shade cause I need to touch up some areas I spilled over. I think it's Xerus Purple. But I think it's coming out good so far!

Just this set and one more Company (already assembled) and my 1k army will be ready. :) After that I might focus on my 1k Sons army for a bit before starting up on my 2k KO army~

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

What size base is the frigate and gunhauler come on? I got some modelswithout bases and want to order them. I’m confused as the box says one thing but I can’t find it on gw’s site. 

Gunhauler 4"x 2 3/4" (10.5x7cm)

Frigate 4 3/4"x 3 3/4" (12x9.5cm)

From what I measured 

• Like 1

I've often toyed around with trying to make some ship conversions, one I've come up with (not yet made) is based off a gunhauler to make it like an old whaler boat. Keep the driver and add an open deck with some skypike wielding arkanauts to poke stuff nearby. Quite like the idea of it so drafted some rules for it.

Tried to make it have more supporting role, and also some nice synergies with Navigators and Brokk. 

Strike Sloop - 140pts

Light and agile, Sloops are single endrin craft commonly used for more mundane jobs in Kharadron society than combat. While the vast majority operate as couriers, ferries and tugs every barak maintains a multitude of sloops outfitted for fending off the fell sky beasts that lurk in the clouds. Often on discovery of a rich aerther gold seam, a number of these stike sloops will accompany the expedition fleet on picket duty to deter would be predators or provide early warning.

A strike sloop is a single model. It is armed with either a pair of decksweepers or a pair of aetheric fumigators. The crew on board are armed with skypikes with which they'll fight off any attackers.

Move 12"
Wounds 10
Save 5+
Bravery 7

Decksweepers
12" 2D6 attacks 4+/4+/-1R/1 damage
Aetheric fumigators
9" 2D3 attacks +3/+2/-1/1 damage
Skypike
2" 6 attacks 4+/3+/-1/D3 damage

Special Rules
Fly
Strike Sloops can fly

Abilities
Aetheric Navigation - Strike Sloops endeavour to maintain sight to the fleet, least they fall and it be unknown.
If there is a friendly Aetheric Navigator visible to it, a Strike Sloop may move an additional D3" in the movement phase.

Choking Fug - The clouds of toxic aether cause uncontrollable convulsions in the foe, stopping them in their tracks.
Enemy models that end their charge within 2" of a Strike Sloop with Aetheric Fumigators reduce the attack characteristics of all weapons by 1, to a minimum of 1, until the end of the subsequent combat phase. 

Aether Burst - Some crews may load a scatter shot to blind and startle their foes to drive them away. 
A Strike Sloop with Decksweepers may choose not to fire in the shooting phase to instead attempt an Aether Burst in the charge phase. If the charge is successful, enemy units within 1" of the Strike Sloop suffer -1 to hit rolls and -1 to Bravery until the end of the subsequent combat phase.

Hunters - The crew of Strike Sloops are well versed at fighting certain foes.
You may reroll hit and wound rolls of 1 when attacking with Skypikes for a Strike Sloop if the target is a monster or has fly. 

Bring it 'round! - Strike Sloop crews would rather perish than see their charge lost.
At the end of an enemy charge phase a Strike Sloop may attempt to assist a friendly unit within 12" that was successfully charged this phase provided there are no enemy units within 3" of the Strike Sloop. The Strike Sloop may immediately attempt to make a charge against the enemy unit that successfully charged. The Strike Sloop may be considered to have charged or have been charged for the purposes of Choking Fug or Aether Burst in the subsequent combat phase. After attempting the charge the Strike Sloop suffers 1 mortal wound from the stresses of the maneuver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bladedwind said:

What date is that from? Because mine says 32mm for my heroes

21/03/2019 ! I think we're on 25mm till Dec 18

Edit: no, way beforw that, I remember having the "Not gonna rebase my heroes!" Debate in summer 18, after soulwars. 

Edited by Furuzzolo

Hey guys,

I know, this question has been asked several times before but has anyone of you come up with a satisfying way to solve the flight stand issue with the Ironclad and Friagte Models?

I have tried magnets, which failed miserably and now I am tempted to simply try to pin the flight stand and glue it on, hoping that that's sufficient to keep the model steady. Are there any other possibilities to fix the issue?

Please let me know how you fixed this and what worked out for you :)

Thanks in advance for your help,

best regards, Grudgebearer

21 minutes ago, Grudgebearer said:

Hey guys,

I know, this question has been asked several times before but has anyone of you come up with a satisfying way to solve the flight stand issue with the Ironclad and Friagte Models?

I have tried magnets, which failed miserably and now I am tempted to simply try to pin the flight stand and glue it on, hoping that that's sufficient to keep the model steady. Are there any other possibilities to fix the issue?

Please let me know how you fixed this and what worked out for you :)

Thanks in advance for your help,

best regards, Grudgebearer

I pinned mine (and ironclad and a frigate)- Cut a short segment of a paper clip and glue that into the ball of the flight stand (deeper the better for stability) then drill a hole into the socket underneath the boat- you’ll need to mark or measure carefully to get the hole in the boat right. Although a little way off isn’t too bad, it’ll just look like the ship is banking. The added bonus of this is you can remove the stand for transport. 

Or you could do what @Lightbox and others have done and make a fancy scenic base attached directly to the ship, eliminating the need for the stand entirely. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Azamar said:

Or you could do what @Lightbox and others have done and make a fancy scenic base attached directly to the ship, eliminating the need for the stand entirely. 

Base for mine was super easy. Top half of the eldar webway portal to support it as well as a pin or two in the bottom for more support. Hidden with clouds made from toy stuffing.

IMG_20190212_231729.jpg.272f941670aafcdb169c7e28d56068f7.jpg

I didn't have a flight stand myself though, but things like rocks or pillars to attach to it as it flies over them are good for extra support. The azyrite ruins box could be good for that.

As for my next question I would like to ask is which kind of builds are competitively viable at the moment. I've been absent for a year now was wondering what the "go to" lists are at the moment. I know we aren't in the best position right now but my hopes are high that we will get a updated book this year, are there any news on that?

44 minutes ago, Grudgebearer said:

As for my next question I would like to ask is which kind of builds are competitively viable at the moment. I've been absent for a year now was wondering what the "go to" lists are at the moment. I know we aren't in the best position right now but my hopes are high that we will get a updated book this year, are there any news on that?

Things that work are:

Big blocks of thunderers all with rifles supported by a Khemist. Somebody did very well at cnacon by dropping 14 plus a Khemist in a Ziflin list. 

Max units of Arkanauts with a Khemist. All with skyhooks of course. 

Endrinriggers on the charge buffed by a Khemist are still able to do a lot of work. 

As to how you all balance it and support it... Different ideas floating 😏 around... but the best result is the cancon list which you can see in the full matches on YouTube.  A similar list won a big tournament in Japan awhile back as well if I recall correctly. 

6 minutes ago, Grudgebearer said:

Thanks for your reply, that list looks solid, however, I was wondering how can he take 14 Thunderers? Don't they come in batches of 5 guys?

You pay for all 15. But only take 14 to give some space for the khemist in the frigate (with zilfin artefact). Khemist use his artefact to make another battleshock in the shooting phase (so, no Inspire Presence CA) and hope that the enemy doesn't have an answer to that.

5 hours ago, Grudgebearer said:

It seems the Cancon list got covered and it's defiantly a good one. A modified version of clown car is also quite good! Gary Percival did quite well the other day going 4-1 at a UK GT.  Link and list below! Definitely take a look a this article and the enclosed link to the table top TO page for the event, you can see who he played against and read their lists, its super helpful when list building to identify potential faults.  I also dropped the link to Alex Khrons tactics/list building article on AoS shorts.  

Alex AoS Shorts Tactics: https://aosshorts.com/kharadron-overlords-tactics/

Gary GT: https://aosshorts.com/justice-series-gt-recap-top-lists/

1034576203_ScreenShot2019-04-14at8_14_44PM.png.3f8396b9654f7b7701920c338c29256c.png