AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 minutes ago, Nick907 said:

Yeah I thought KO sales had been really strong. Capitalism dictates we should have more coming our way. I expect the Underworlds  game to be more popular once our faction is added to it. 

Yeah I don't know how well we really know that sales were strong though, better than expected can be interpreted in a few ways. Why are all the individual hero models webstore only if that is the case? :(

Edited by Riavan

10 hours ago, Riavan said:

Yeah I don't know how well we really know that sales were strong though, better than expected can be interpreted in a few ways. Why are all the individual hero models webstore only if that is the case? :(

I'm 100% sure I bought mine in a FLGS. That being said, GW doens't show faction specific sales so no, we don't know. 

16 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Khorne has shown that "endless spells" don't have to be spells per se. GW has stated that they like how Endless Spells visualize certain abilities and that they were well received. I think its entirely possible that GW will keep releasing them and simply modifies them to fit armies that dont use spells. 

@ Kharadrons selling well: GW has said so much on events following their release back in 2017. They stated that they sold much better than expected and that they seriously considered making more stuff for them. 

I think they could something really cool with Endless Spells equivalent - probably more linked to the Navigators and Khemists. The terrain piece is interesting- something floating maybe connected with aether gold processing to boost abilities?

I definitely remember the community page at the end of the original release for Kharadrons saying that was all for now.. so they'd be getting back to them. I'm not playing at the moment but I'll grab any extra models/fluff for Kharadrons -they are such a cool faction. 

10 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I read somewhere that Kharadron overlords are stronger in lower point games. Do anyone have a competitive 1k list? I really wanna give Kharadron overlords a go 😊 Thank you.

My group plays 1K almost exclusively.

When I take my KO for a spin (and I want to play ships) I like to play something like this:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (160)
- General
- Trait: Prospector 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120)

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (420)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Total: 940 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 49

You can call it a Baby Clown Car. I found that 1k forces dont have enough power to take out the Ironclad early. 

If you dont care about ships you can also just go for an all-out Arkanauts gunline 

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (160)
- General
Arkanaut Admiral (120)

Battleline
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
- 12x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 71

Edited by Gecktron
  • Like 1

Just now, Gecktron said:

My group plays 1K almost exclusively.

When I take my KO for a spin (and I want to play ships) I like to play something like this:

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (160)
- General

Battleline
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120)

War Machines
Arkanaut Ironclad (420)
- Main Gun: Aethermatic Volley Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word

Total: 940 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 49

You can call it a Baby Clown Car. I found that 1k forces dont have enough power to take out the Ironclad early. 

If you dont care about ships you can also just go for an all-out Arkanauts gunline 

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (160)
- General
Arkanaut Admiral (120)

Battleline
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 71

Personally I like all the ships 😊 It's what gives the army character.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

I started with some eBay deals so my collection is all over the place. After the first couple of games I’m now building toward a 2K list but if I’d play it at 1k it would look like:

Ziflin:

khemist

20 arkanauts

10 arkanauts

1 frigate 

10 thunderers 

You could also take page out of the cancon list at 1,5K:

ziflin

khemist 

15 thunderers 

Frigate 

khemist 

40 arkanauts 

10 arkanauts 

with that annoying 40 points that I seem to get so often left over 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amradiel said:

This is what games workshop needs to realize. For KO

im actually ok if they lower the points on frigates and make them a bit weaker. 

Mentioned before I’m down for them to be flimsy rhinos 

• Like 1

I was tinkering on the Warscroll builder coming up with a possible alternate 1k build I want to try that wouldn't require too many new kits.

Khemist, 2x10 Arkanauts, 1x6 Riggers, 1x10 Thunderers, Gunhauler.

Not remotely an ideal build, but I might give it a shot down the road if I wanted to try something different. I've already got a Gunhauler and 5 Thunderers so I'd just need one more box to field it.

1 hour ago, nine7six said:

I really hope there is something today for us.....

Im expecting the nightvault warband preview, IIRC the last two for shadespire were released in April last year so timing would be correct. Probably not alot else for KO but I may be surprised.

There definitely looked like a terrain piece/machine in the background of their video too - an endrin with a long aether cable coming from it I think [don't think its from the ships]. The Fyreslayers terrain piece and endless spell equivalent look good too- nice indication what might get [thinking of getting the forge piece just as a piece of terrain..]

I've just bought underworlds so looking forward to getting these guys!

If you look at the rate of new books so far this year they are up to 6 including the two previewed at adepticon, which will probably be released in April. so by that math then I think we will get a rapid release of possibly 10 new tomes this year, probably similar to 40k codexes release rate of last year. I, for one am very hopeful that we will get a new book, terrain and "aetheric items" this year,sooner rather than later would be great but probably later as we are getting fireslayers soon.

So now that we have seen the Fyreslayers stuff, I think we can make a reasonably solid prediction:  when their book is released, there will be nothing new for Kharadrons, except for terrain and "spells".

As far as model kits, Fyreslayers are in a way worse situation than we are, and they are receiving nothing new, save for the terrain/spell treatment.  While it's certainly possible for KO to get new models, I really don't think we can expect anything new added to our actual ranks - with the possible exception of maybe a neat new character (ala Carrion Empires)

Personally I think this is fine - KO actually has a pretty sweet model line-up.  It has a lot of unique looks, without reusing poses and model frames too much.  If the army was rewritten so that all our stuff actually WORKED in an actual game, I think we would be alright.

So yeah, as I said - while it's certainly possible to get blessed by the New Model Fairy, I think we KO players need to curb our expectations a bit, at this point.

Edited by mikethefish
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Really the biggest issue that will hopefully get solved with KO is the battleline issue. No other army has 1 battleline!

Even if we got just one or two conditional battle lines - like Sky Wardens are battle line if an Admiral is the General.  Stuff like that.

2 hours ago, mikethefish said:

So now that we have seen the Fyreslayers stuff, I think we can make a reasonably solid prediction:  when their book is released, there will be nothing new for Kharadrons, except for terrain and "spells".

As far as model kits, Fyreslayers are in a way worse situation than we are, and they are receiving nothing new, save for the terrain/spell treatment.  While it's certainly possible for KO to get new models, I really don't think we can expect anything new added to our actual ranks - with the possible exception of maybe a neat new character (ala Carrion Empires)

Personally I think this is fine - KO actually has a pretty sweet model line-up.  It has a lot of unique looks, without reusing poses and model frames too much.  If the army was rewritten so that all our stuff actually WORKED in an actual game, I think we would be alright.

So yeah, as I said - while it's certainly possible to get blessed by the New Model Fairy, I think we KO players need to curb our expectations a bit, at this point.

Kharadrons might be in with a better chance of new units than fyreslayers though, if nothing else than because of their popularity.  Most likely just a new hero like the Skaven/ FEC box set but you never know. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Azamar said:

Kharadrons might be in with a better chance of new units than fyreslayers though, if nothing else than because of their popularity.  Most likely just a new hero like the Skaven/ FEC box set but you never know. 

We can hope! I'd mostly just like to see the admiral and endrinmaster get more killy as i doubt we'll get new models since we already have a good range but never lose hope!

Will be interesting to see how the new shadespire warband look in AoS. It's at least a nice new khemist sculpt.

• Like 1

I think the weird terrain pieces we are seeing are all  just kitbashings made from Ironclad bits.  I heard the Q and A session yesterday confirmed a new book KO book was in the works. I think Tom from Warhammer Weekly said something to that effect on the show yesterday.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lightbox said:

We can hope! I'd mostly just like to see the admiral and endrinmaster get more killy as i doubt we'll get new models since we already have a good range but never lose hope!

Will be interesting to see how the new shadespire warband look in AoS. It's at least a nice new khemist sculpt.

If we don’t I’m sure you’ll convert some ;) 

definitely getting that warband- even if I don’t really use 2 khemists I prefer that model to the original. The extra volley gun I can make good use of as well. 

• Like 2