AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

15 minutes ago, Bladedwind said:

I have a question for you all. I am a dwarf enthusiast who has been collecting Dispossesed models for some time now (I actually just finished getting my 2k list together).

I'm mainly a Dispossesed player at heart, but I really like the overall look and concept for Kharadron Overlords. To start with, what would be viable to include in a 1k army? The faction seems a bit difficult to build around points wise for me.

I’m not 100% sure but what I would do is just use KO as a fast moving option with the Endrinriggers or a frigate since most old warhammer dwarf armies are slow 

as long as you keep the points level low at like 10% you can be tournament valid I THINK 

I actually bought a start collecting box, so I have that all set. To clarify, the two Companies would be at 10 men each?

The Runelord would be an interesting pick, though sadly the only real use  I would get from him is spell unbinding, since his buffs very specifically target Dispossesed. Maybe a Grimwrath Berserker if I don't end up buffing the number of Thunderers (Which more likely)

Also, in people's opinion, are Skywardens worth it over Endrinriggers?

Edited by Bladedwind
Added question

For what I suggested I meant 2 10 man units. There’s no reason you couldn’t take more. 

The runelord’s usefulness might depend on what you’re facing, I mostly just threw it out as it was something that filled 100 points that you might already have.  I’ve used a grimwrath bezerker with my KO as well and he’s ok. 

I prefer endrinriggers personally- since wardens went up in cost there’s fewer reasons to take them over the riggers.

6 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

So is anyone afraid our arkanauts are going to get the storm fiend treatment?

Just starting the faction and I know everyone equips all skyhooks. I am just concerned about it. How many of eaxh weapon comes in a box?

If I do not remember wrong, should be one of each special weapons. 😃 if you are concerned about just wait to see the end of the month,no?

p.s. sorry for my english, I am italian.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gdead909 said:

Just starting the faction and I know everyone equips all skyhooks. I am just concerned about it. How many of eaxh weapon comes in a box?

Im not worried about that. Stormfiends were abused quite heavily and you only ever had one body per special weapon. So you had to duplicate or triple the same body if you want to use the same weapon multiple times per squad or resort to conversions (both things GW likes to avoid).

Thats not the case for the arkanauts. Our special weapons can be put on nearly every body without any conversions. In addition, our weapons were never as broken as an all warpfire Stormfiend unit. People still use volley guns, only the sky pikes are a bit lackluster, but thats not specific to the Arkanauts. 

3 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Im not worried about that. Stormfiends were abused quite heavily and you only ever had one body per special weapon. So you had to duplicate or triple the same body if you want to use the same weapon multiple times per squad or resort to conversions (both things GW likes to avoid).

Thats not the case for the arkanauts. Our special weapons can be put on nearly every body without any conversions. In addition, our weapons were never as broken as an all warpfire Stormfiend unit. People still use volley guns, only the sky pikes are a bit lackluster, but thats not specific to the Arkanauts. 

Ah good to know I am getting the models 2nd hand so i was concerned I was going to be having to hunt for bits lol

10 hours ago, Gecktron said:

or resort to conversions (both things GW likes to avoid).

Just wanted to add that this is absolutely not true. But they did take the critique that if you buy a box you shouldn’t HAVE to convert just to use all options. 

From awards to best conversion, to conversions being a demand for competition entries, to endless articles on converting models in the white dwarf. Speaking of which, just read this snippet yesterday in the white dwarf:

0E8D0E3F-CF4D-4F01-8A5A-F4260FFA015B.png.29a71699fe8ef617f51626da4adce4da.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Just wanted to add that this is absolutely not true. But they did take the critique that if you buy a box you shouldn’t HAVE to convert just to use all options. 

From awards to best conversion, to conversions being a demand for competition entries, to endless articles on converting models in the white dwarf. Speaking of which, just read this snippet yesterday in the white dwarf:

I thought it was clear that this was only in relation to getting models on the table. But in retrospective I see that I wasn't really clear. 

Edited by Gecktron

On 3/18/2019 at 5:29 PM, Gdead909 said:

Yes, we will be brought in line with Stormfiends and Thunderers.  You will be able to have one of each special weapon with the update.

7 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Yes, we will be brought in line with Stormfiends and Thunderers.  You will be able to have one of each special weapon with the update.

Honestly if they do this it will just kill KO! As Arknauts are almost the last "good" unit in the faction that can hurt in block of 40 with 12 skyhook. If they do this they should just delete them as a gunline army without good gun options in an already heavy combat oriented game is just pointless^^

Just now, Duanra said:

Honestly if they do this it will just kill KO! As Arknauts are almost the last "good" unit in the faction that can hurt in block of 40 with 12 skyhook. If they do this they should just delete them as a gunline army without good gun options in an already heavy combat oriented game is just pointless^^

Which only means that the wholse scope of changes must be massive to prevent it.

It's not that KO can be "much" worse 😜

I'm purely just speculating here....

It seems to me that big things are about to happen with this faction and that GW is really trying to keep a lid on it.  I point to that fact that we know there is a KO Underworlds warband around the corner yet the actual models have not yet been shown.  This makes me think there is likely something like maybe a Aether-Alchemist coming perhaps involving potions that can fired at enemys for debuffs - essentially giving the faction a wizard.  The faction is also desperate for a battletome update and I would bet that much of what was faq'd away might actually be brought back in a less dramatic sense.  The Meta has changed dramatically for this faction in second edition and it seems time to bring this faction up to par with everything else.  It would seem to make more sense to give this faction ways to buff itself and debuff its opponents rather than changing base station lines.  The faction really needs a way to become dwarfy in the combat phase with some sort of save after save via a new buff from say the Admiral or even a new bubble equipped combat phase non unique hero.

To pull these sorts of things off would require alot of play testing liking right down to the wire just before an update.  Our faction is very unique and is probably viewed as the 800lb gorilla in the room everyone wants to ignore but can't cause it's such a big job to tackle.  But it appears they are going to.

It makes no sense for the to create hype for a faction via Underworlds without making resounding updates within AOS itself.

I have more hope for this faction now than I ever had as a result.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Duanra said:

If everything stayed the same...sure. Want another prediction that will likely come true?  Our Khemist buff is going to either go to a command ability, be wholly within x" of the khemist (most likely) or even become a different kind of buff (like reroll wounds).  Would that kill KO too?  Sure...if everything else stayed the same.

We literally have no idea what is coming down the pipeline.  Imagine a world where embarking counts as garrisoning, where you can shoot 20 Company guns from within a Ironclad, which itself could have its armor save drop to 3+ base and be immune to rend, or whatever and you could melee from the ship with your skypikes. Imagine a world where we have an armywide buff called "Sharpshooter" or "Deadeye" or whatever, that lets us ignore Lookout Sir!, or hell, what if it simply let us ignore all penalties to hit while shooting ranged attacks? What if we got new warscroll versions of all our boats that included baked in heroes on the ships (this would be an easy alternate build for the boats, they would treat the ships as mounts), that would let us give us the ability to equip those heroes with items and claim points in Arcane places of power?  Or imagine a world where Thunderers dropped to 80 points for 5 and became battleline, Gunhaulers dropped to 100 points and became battleline, and Skywardens and/or Endrinriggers could become battleline with certain heroes as generals?  What if we got new battalions that let us include Dispossessed and/or Fyreslayers in our force without counting as allies, or we gained the ability to embark units from those factions on our ships?  What if Navigators or Endrinmasters gained a set of mechanical drones that functioned like Khorne's new judgments and could buff allies and attack or debuff enemies? What if all of the Skyports were upgraded to be as enticing and competitive as Zilfin? What if we simply got a couple more kits like aether-powered Grundstock assault troops to give us some melee punch or generic admirals like Brokk that can be customized?  

The aethersphere is literally the limit with what could be. Want to hear some more good news? Rumors suggest we'll have a new book in our hands within the next 8 weeks and, if the last 4 books released this year are any sign, then the new book will be on the cutting edge of the meta and be competitive in every sense of the term. There is absolutely no reason for doom and gloom right now.

• Like 11
  • LOVE IT! 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

The aethersphere is literally the limit with what could be. Want to hear some more good news? Rumors suggest we'll have a new book in our hands within the next 8 weeks and, if the last 4 books released this year are any sign, then the new book will be on the cutting edge of the meta and be competitive in every sense of the term. There is absolutely no reason for doom and gloom right now.

But I want it nowwwww.

srsly though, I have to agree. This combined with what @Ashman said makes this seem very plausible.

3 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

We literally have no idea what is coming down the pipeline.  Imagine a world where embarking counts as garrisoning, where you can shoot 20 Company guns from within a Ironclad, which itself could have its armor save drop to 3+ base and be immune to rend, or whatever and you could melee from the ship with your skypikes. Imagine a world where we have an armywide buff called "Sharpshooter" or "Deadeye" or whatever, that lets us ignore Lookout Sir!, or hell, what if it simply let us ignore all penalties to hit while shooting ranged attacks? What if we got new warscroll versions of all our boats that included baked in heroes on the ships (this would be an easy alternate build for the boats, they would treat the ships as mounts), that would let us give us the ability to equip those heroes with items and claim points in Arcane places of power?  Or imagine a world where Thunderers dropped to 80 points for 5 and became battleline, Gunhaulers dropped to 100 points and became battleline, and Skywardens and/or Endrinriggers could become battleline with certain heroes as generals?  What if we got new battalions that let us include Dispossessed and/or Fyreslayers in our force without counting as allies, or we gained the ability to embark units from those factions on our ships?  What if Navigators or Endrinmasters gained a set of mechanical drones that functioned like Khorne's new judgments and could buff allies and attack or debuff enemies? What if all of the Skyports were upgraded to be as enticing and competitive as Zilfin? What if we simply got a couple more kits like aether-powered Grundstock assault troops to give us some melee punch or generic admirals like Brokk that can be customized?  

Obviously you will strongly deny any allegiances that's insiders knowledge ?;P

• Haha 1

Tom is right, KO could be done in a million different ways to better fit there fluff and aesthetic. Also, the Khemist buff is a pretty lame ability. We  should have an endless spell equivalent (signal flares, skyport bombartment) a melee troop (flame throwers), as well as redesigned warscrolls, battalions, and faction abilities. 

1 hour ago, eciu said:

Obviously you will strongly deny any allegiances that's insiders knowledge ?;P

To be clear, I do not have insider knowledge. I do not know what they are going to do. That said, I have provided them feedback on what I think they should do, and it does include some of those ideas.

29 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

To be clear, I do not have insider knowledge. I do not know what they are going to do. That said, I have provided them feedback on what I think they should do, and it does include some of those ideas.

Well you’ve got my vote. If nothing else I just hope you’re right on an imminent updated book- even if we still end up bottom of the heap power wise it’s be nice to have a book with all the right rules in, and not have to keep cross referencing the faqs!