AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Finished my frigate after a long hiatus. Dont know if the khazalid is correct, but looks dwarfish so good enough.

IMG_20190211_134634.jpg.d239be52097c273f6613443c85148660.jpg

Next, after I finish an arkanaut company, is I think a start collecting box. How much space is there on the gunhauler's deck? I don't like the balloons on the ships so I will remove it like I did on the frigate, but I don't know if I will be able to add a chimney there, even if it's a smaller one.

Edited by kosarev
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, kosarev said:

Finished my frigate after a long hiatus. Dont know if the khazalid is correct, but looks dwarfish so good enough.

IMG_20190211_134634.jpg.d239be52097c273f6613443c85148660.jpg

Next, after I finish an arkanaut company, is I think a start collecting box. How much space is there on the gunhauler's deck? I don't like the balloons on the ships so I will remove it like I did on the frigate, but I don't know if I will be able to add a chimney there, even if it's a smaller one.

It might be a tight fit, but if you get the chimney to start at the side and work up like some roadsters have. That would definitely work!  

The frigate does look a lot sleeker I admit! 

7 hours ago, cofaxest said:

Auto aetherturrets (drop from the sky and hold the ground)

Aetherdrones (support)

Aetherguard (cc heavy infantry)

New ships 

Some sort of heavy cavalry unit (grundstock balloon guys?)

Aethermancer (true antymagic hero with aether generator for manipulating aether energy)

Kharadron magnate (not named one)

Grundstock hero (some kind of monster hunter heavy hitter)

New aether effects (smoke/gas screens (debuff enemy units), aether clouds (attack enemy units with lightning), aether wall (buff friendly units/give cover)

Kharadron overlords Zonbek (ironclade size skyfortress with garrison rule and etc.)

Rebalance for already existing units.

We have so many possible new units and changes in already existing... I just hope that then GW release new book for KO it will be more then 1 week release with book, dices, 1 hero and terrain. 

Good ideas ! 

What makes me so tilted on KO is that they do not have enough options 

or some stuff makes no sense imo. 

Make the chemist the “spell caster” crazy alchemy stuff. 

Why thr navigator dispels makes no sense. They should buff the ships more and like you said things like aether drones make them something like the ghost warriors warlocks where they can guide special say clock work dwarves. 

• Like 2

Ok, I think I finally get it. If this has already been brought up I apologise. But I was watching some KO battle reports yesterday and something clicked.

A lot of us, myself included, have talked about wanting units that can basically tank. But the thing is, we actually do. ...sort of.

People have explained how our boats can be walls, but end up being too squishy. But that is not how KO is designed to tank. We don't have shield walls to soak damage (that is, reroll or improve saves). We punish charges with explosives. Every ship has an ability to do mortal wounds against charging opponents. So basically instead of holding back opponents, we just blow them the hell up. Can't damage me if you're dead.

Now, the effectiveness of this in practice is...not great. And maybe our anti-charge bombs need a little buff. But I do like it in theory. It's different.

On this line of thought, Skywardens are NOT the murder cavalry I thought they were. They're our tanky unit. In that they have anti-charge mines. They should probably be used in defensive positions. Maybe putting them on an objective so the arkanauts can cap it.

Then the Riggers are kinda versitile. Equip with volley guns for ranged defence while healing boats. Equip standard for close range defense and repair. Or equip with skyhooks to give them more charge potential to be aggressive.

We've got so many neat tools in this army. I just think they need to be used right and probably get some minor buffs. And maybe another unit or two wouldn't hurt.

Or maybe I'm just dumb. I dunno. But I wanted to share these thoughts.

Your not dumb this is all theory crafting.

ehay you posted has merit 

and it has merit ; just in matched play where it’s usually hold an objective KO suffer since we don’t have a true unit to hold.

our boats are strong but a boat should be flying around pew pew ing and that’s our sad issue. 

:) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Ok, I think I finally get it. If this has already been brought up I apologise. But I was watching some KO battle reports yesterday and something clicked.

A lot of us, myself included, have talked about wanting units that can basically tank. But the thing is, we actually do. ...sort of.

People have explained how our boats can be walls, but end up being too squishy. But that is not how KO is designed to tank. We don't have shield walls to soak damage (that is, reroll or improve saves). We punish charges with explosives. Every ship has an ability to do mortal wounds against charging opponents. So basically instead of holding back opponents, we just blow them the hell up. Can't damage me if you're dead.

Now, the effectiveness of this in practice is...not great. And maybe our anti-charge bombs need a little buff. But I do like it in theory. It's different.

On this line of thought, Skywardens are NOT the murder cavalry I thought they were. They're our tanky unit. In that they have anti-charge mines. They should probably be used in defensive positions. Maybe putting them on an objective so the arkanauts can cap it.

Then the Riggers are kinda versitile. Equip with volley guns for ranged defence while healing boats. Equip standard for close range defense and repair. Or equip with skyhooks to give them more charge potential to be aggressive.

We've got so many neat tools in this army. I just think they need to be used right and probably get some minor buffs. And maybe another unit or two wouldn't hurt.

Or maybe I'm just dumb. I dunno. But I wanted to share these thoughts.

It's true but our ships cost too much. If you will try this tactic you will not have enough firepower to support your ships, and if your opponent will have double turn - you automatically lose the game. 

48 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

It's true but our ships cost too much. If you will try this tactic you will not have enough firepower to support your ships, and if your opponent will have double turn - you automatically lose the game. 

True to that. 

For a lore class that’s very air ship heavy we don’t get a lot of options. 

The frigate is great and all that 

but it seems to be similar to the “land raider” 

maybe wr need something more like the rhino 

cheap , weak ish , fast and deploys. 

Still dont get why we we don’t have paratrooper like units. 

Like imagine. _a unit that’s so heavy ( tank ) that can be dropped down slowly like Endrinriggers but once they leave they ditch the balloons and can only slog it on foot. 

33 minutes ago, Dekison said:

True to that. 

For a lore class that’s very air ship heavy we don’t get a lot of options. 

The frigate is great and all that 

but it seems to be similar to the “land raider” 

maybe wr need something more like the rhino 

cheap , weak ish , fast and deploys. 

Still dont get why we we don’t have paratrooper like units. 

Like imagine. _a unit that’s so heavy ( tank ) that can be dropped down slowly like Endrinriggers but once they leave they ditch the balloons and can only slog it on foot. 

I think our Ironclad/frigats are a pretty good analogy to Space Marine Land Raider and Rhinos. The Ironclad is better armored, has stronger weapons and a higher load capacity compared to a frigate, just like the Land Raider to the Rhino. 

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

I think our Ironclad/frigats are a pretty good analogy to Space Marine Land Raider and Rhinos. The Ironclad is better armored, has stronger weapons and a higher load capacity compared to a frigate, just like the Land Raider to the Rhino. 

The ironclads is more like a bane blade. 

Baneblade point cost is about 430 ( checking on bathroom break at work here haha ) 

ironclad is 440 

so costs more in a sense. 

Could be wrong 

I know the games are vastly different but when doing points one must treat it in terms of economics now than just tactics 

Sorry for the double post, I've been waiting for others but it's quiet (and I'm too excited about this new hobby to shut up *cough*)

Someone brought up that we do a lot of theory crafting and talking about what we want. Myself included. But let me move from talking about what I want to working with what we have.

What ally units could we bring in to fill in the gaps in defence? Vulkite Berserkers with sling shields? Ironbreakers? Maybe Stormcast Liberators or Protectors?

I've seen a couple of places that suggest using Lord-Ordinators to help the boats/flying metal bawkses.

Also, since this has been a point of confusion. What do we lose from not having a full KO army? Other than most if not all of our buffs are for Skyfarers only?

6 hours ago, Gecktron said:

15501618718045341533142180385921.jpg.9518f0330a7c3b53c7b1ffb3f7fe6324.jpg.12bfbbe4b267dd54ba05b579699415c7.jpg

From the new Skaventide Battletome. Looks like our Duardin are the main Antagonist/Victims in this book. Well, better than being ignored 😅

Oh great now our stuff gets stolen 😩 haha. 

Yah the lord ordinator is a great add on. 

I thibk in tournamanets u can do “forces of order” so don’t see why not. 

20 hours ago, DavionStar said:

What ally units could we bring in to fill in the gaps in defence? Vulkite Berserkers with sling shields? Ironbreakers? Maybe Stormcast Liberators or Protectors?

I've seen a couple of places that suggest using Lord-Ordinators to help the boats/flying metal bawkses.

Also, since this has been a point of confusion. What do we lose from not having a full KO army? Other than most if not all of our buffs are for Skyfarers only?

I like allying in a Knight-Incantor for some magic. She gives you a once per game automatic dispel, and the spirit flasks are a good way to add some mortal wounds. Also, if you play one of the scenarios where wizards & artifact of power equipped heroes capture objectives (or get bonuses to capturing) it really pays to have some extra scoring.

A big unit of 40 Dispossessed warriors can be good too. Generally KO are pretty low model count, so that's a good way to make up for it. They're really good objective campers with a 5+ re-rollable save if they don't run and a banner that lets them half the number of models lost to battleshock. If you are going against an alpha strike army that gets to go first, you can use all those bodies to bubble wrap your more valuable units. Ironbreakers would probably work too, but you get half the models for the price as a trade for better saves. 

Your non-KO units don't get to benefit from skyport/allegiance abilities, but they don't make the rest of your army lose any thing as long as allies stay below 20% of your total points.

• Thanks 1

Alright. Thanks everyone. I've finally thrown together a new 2k list. I think it's better than the last one I tried. Though no one said anything in favor of it, I've included some Fyreslayer allies.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zon
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (120)
- General
- Trait: Rising Star 
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 
Endrinmaster (120)
Battlesmith (120)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Skypikes
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1x Drill Cannons
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Cannons
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (200)
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
10 x Vulkite Berzerkers (120)
- War-Picks & Slingshields
- Allies
- Allies

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (240)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Incredible Self-healing Hull
Grundstok Gunhauler (160)
- Main Gun: Drill Cannon

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 360 / 400
Wounds: 124

So this is the idea.

Squad A: One unit each Company with Volley Guns, Vulkites, Thunderers. Admiral for support and killing. Vulkites provide first 'shield wall' with Arkanauts being the backup. Thunderers loadout tries to take advantage of Finish Them.

Squad B: Same as A but gets the Battlesmith instead of Admiral to help his fellow mohawk bois.

Squad C. Gunhauler, Frigate. Each boat gets a Riggers unit. Frigate gets the Skypike Company and Endrinmaster as well. The Skypikes can charge straight out of the boat thanks to Barak-Zon. Riggers stay by the boat to repair and do ranged damage. Hero goes where he's needed or kills stuff. Priority of repair goes to Frigate.

I hope this build could theoretically work. I want to keep boats involved somehow, and having the Fyreslayers let's me use some of their models without having to make a full army. (I was gonna kitbashe a Fyreslayer trying to jump on my Frigate anyways)

7 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Alright. Thanks everyone. I've finally thrown together a new 2k list. I think it's better than the last one I tried. Though no one said anything in favor of it, I've included some Fyreslayer allies.

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (120)
- General
Endrinmaster (120)
Battlesmith (120)
- Allies

Battleline
- 3x Skypikes

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Cannons
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- Allies
- Allies

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (240)

So this is the idea.

Squad A: One unit each Company with Volley Guns, Vulkites, Thunderers. Admiral for support and killing. Vulkites provide first 'shield wall' with Arkanauts being the backup. Thunderers loadout tries to take advantage of Finish Them.

Squad B: Same as A but gets the Battlesmith instead of Admiral to help his fellow mohawk bois.

Squad C. Gunhauler, Frigate. Each boat gets a Riggers unit. Frigate gets the Skypike Company and Endrinmaster as well. The Skypikes can charge straight out of the boat thanks to Barak-Zon. Riggers stay by the boat to repair and do ranged damage. Hero goes where he's needed or kills stuff. Priority of repair goes to Frigate.

I hope this build could theoretically work. I want to keep boats involved somehow, and having the Fyreslayers let's me use some of their models without having to make a full army. (I was gonna kitbashe a Fyreslayer trying to jump on my Frigate anyways)

You can’t put anything in a gunhauler, not even riggers, because it doesn’t have the embark rule.  Gunhaulers are really only useful as ablative wounds for ironclads, and even then they’re a costly way to do it. I also think  3 riggers is not enough to do much, much better to run a single unit of 6 rather than 2x3. Aethermatic volley guns on arkanauts are not bad support for thunderers, but I think if you’re taking units of 10 thunderers I’d either put 2 mortars in there too, or cut them all out and run them with just rifles, buffed by a khemist. Which you don’t have in your list - but a khemist is pretty much essential to KO. I don’t have any experience running fyreslayer allies, but I think berserkers are better run in larger numbers too. Be interesting to know how you get on running them as a screen for arkanauts, but my guess would be units of 10 will just be overrun.

• Thanks 1

@Baron Wastelands

Ah, I thought you could put a small number of units on a Gunhauler for some reason. But I think with that set up it won't matter cause then the Riggers could just go with the Frigate then and won't take up space. The two ships were gonna work in tandem anyways.

So, hmm. I could put the Riggers in one unit, that's not a problem. I'd need points to put the Khemist in...maybe swap out the Battlesmith. If I take out the Gunhauler I can get 30 Vulkites. Put them in one big unit instead of separating. That'll help out with their "I'm too angry to die" rule as well. Or say no to the Vulkites and get 40 Dispossessed Warriors instead like said above. (Though if I do that I might just get 40 Vulkites and have them be Warriors in rules, but fluffwise they'll be Fyreslayers cause of some story plans I have)

Edited by DavionStar

35 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

@Baron Wastelands

Ah, I thought you could put a small number of units on a Gunhauler for some reason. But I think with that set up it won't matter cause then the Riggers could just go with the Frigate then and won't take up space. The two ships were gonna work in tandem anyways.

So, hmm. I could put the Riggers in one unit, that's not a problem. I'd need points to put the Khemist in...maybe swap out the Battlesmith. If I take out the Gunhauler I can get 30 Vulkites. Put them in one big unit instead of separating. That'll help out with their "I'm too angry to die" rule as well. Or say no to the Vulkites and get 40 Dispossessed Warriors instead like said above. (Though if I do that I might just get 40 Vulkites and have them be Warriors in rules, but fluffwise they'll be Fyreslayers cause of some story plans I have)

Yep, 6 riggers on the frigate is a better idea, as I suspect is 30 vulkites. I think you’re probably right to take out the gunhauler, as although it will protect your frigate, your frigate only has to deliver a combat package, and after that it’s not a priority target.

13 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (120)
- General
Endrinmaster (120)
Battlesmith (120)
- Allies

Battleline
- 3x Skypikes

Units
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Cannons
3 x Endrinriggers (120)
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- 2x Decksweepers
- 2x Aethercannons
- Allies
- Allies

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (240)

So this is the idea.

Barak - Mhornar

Aetherchemist x2 - 320

Navigator x1 with second unbind artefact - 80

Armiral x1 with 4+ mw ignore artefact (general) -120

20 arcanauts with 6 skyhooks - 240

20 arcanauts with 6 skyhooks - 240

30 vulkit berserkers with shields - 360

2 Frigates with canons - 480

Iron sky squadron battalion - 130 

Total 1970

Take turn 1 - shoot 24 skyhook shots and 4 shots with skycanons with rerolls on one target. Take a hit with frigates and hope that you will win second turn and charge with berserkers. 

Edited by cofaxest

@cofaxest That's a very interesting list. I think I'll hold onto it for now, but I'm going to go with the modifications to my last list that @Baron Wastelands helped me with. Partly because it'll require the least amount of new purchases on my part. XD And I really want to try it out. But I'll definitely save yours for later.

In short, here's the new list. I combined the Thunderers for more chances to get buffs off of the Decksweepers from the Khemist maybe?

Barak-Zon: There's No Trading With Some People

Admiral (General) Rising Star, Aethersight Loupe

Endrinmaster

Khemist

10 x Arkanauts with Skypikes

10 x Arkanauts with Volleyguns

10 x Arkanauts with Volleyguns

30 x Vulkite Berzerkers with Warpicks and Slingshields

20 x Thunderers, with Decksweepers, Aethercannons and Mortars

6 x Riggers with Volley Guns and Drills

1 Frigate with Sky Cannon and Self-healing Hull

On 2/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, Gecktron said:

15501618718045341533142180385921.jpg.9518f0330a7c3b53c7b1ffb3f7fe6324.jpg.12bfbbe4b267dd54ba05b579699415c7.jpg

From the new Skaventide Battletome. Looks like our Duardin are the main Antagonist/Victims in this book. Well, better than being ignored 😅

i just thought of something - this could be a good thing for KO

its a reason lore wise to expand units.

now that skaven have airships the KO are going to need to defend better?

so what better way than creating KO marines to combat other skaven airships.

or KO grenadiers to bombard skaven airships.

we know the skaven want to capture KO airships cause they scanvengers :P - and the KO prob dont want that....sooo...possbile incoming tank unit?????? 😮