AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

19 hours ago, Chris Rose said:

Looks like arks will only be able to take 1 hook, pike and volley gun per 10 as per the box like the stormfiends and thunderers.

Could be, wouldn’t count jump off a bridge about it yet. They changed that ruling for thunderers already at a time that people only went for the skyhook as well. So even if we get an update there is nothing set in stone just because another unit who was known for being spammed in one set has changed. 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:56 AM, Kramer said:

Could be, wouldn’t count jump off a bridge about it yet. They changed that ruling for thunderers already at a time that people only went for the skyhook as well. So even if we get an update there is nothing set in stone just because another unit who was known for being spammed in one set has changed. 

But it's a bit weird... 

KO only use two types of "synergies" (aka, what makes us unique gameplay-wise): 

1. Khemist buffs+Aether weapons. 
  2. Ships (mainly to alpha-strike at this moment).

We all saw what happened with G.Thunderers, we swapped their loadout to shotguns because we still need our point 1 synergy to have a punch. If we remove that synergy from our only battleline, we are losing a lot more than other armies.

At least, I'm pretty sure if they nerf our Arkanauts we are going to have some new abilities and mechanics (or at least, better ships).

1 minute ago, Beliman said:

But it's a bit weird... 

KO only use two types of "synergies" (aka, what makes us unique gameplay-wise): 

1. Khemist buffs+Aether weapons. 
  2. Ships (mainly to alpha-strike at this moment).

We all saw what happened with G.Thunderers, we swapped their loadout to shotguns because we still need our point 1 synergy to have a punch. If we remove that synergy from our only battleline, we are losing a lot more than other armies.

At least, I'm pretty sure if they nerf our Arkanauts we are going to have some new abilities and mechanics (or at least, better ships).

Oh I agree but now we're placing ourselves in the GW's chair. Will selling sets that you play as sold* or will play options be more important to GW? Only time will tell. 

So again, totally with you on point 1 & 2. But my comment was in regards to stating it like fact that we will have an one in three ruling. No confirmation on a updated battletome, and GW not following their own precedents is almost a precedent ;) 

So i'm not preaching it's not happening, i'm just preaching a bit of caution on stating things that are predictions as facts. 

*I mean that you can build all options that you can field from that box.  

• Like 2

At LVO I was talking to some guys and I heard a cool idea for (if) we get a new battle tome this year.  Obviously we would be similar to khorne where we wouldn't have an endless spell per say but what about a really good terrain piece.  The terrain piece would be just the bow of an aircraft carrier (or mobile skyport etc) that would have to be on a board edge and can change locations on a die roll etc.  It could give buffs, repair ships, bombard nearby units etc  but the idea we had been talking about was summoning.  

When a KO unit kills a unit, the army gets an aethergold bounty worth half the point value of the unit.  You would then use the aethergold to hire (summon) additional KO units.  So for example if you kill Archaeon at 700ish points, you would be sitting at 300ish points worth of aethergold to "hire" a gunhauler, maybe some more ark co etc.  Just a lot of really cool ideas were being thrown around and made me hopeful for GW doing something great with the update.

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Oh I agree but now we're placing ourselves in the GW's chair. Will selling sets that you play as sold* or will play options be more important to GW? Only time will tell. 

So again, totally with you on point 1 & 2. But my comment was in regards to stating it like fact that we will have an one in three ruling. No confirmation on a updated battletome, and GW not following their own precedents is almost a precedent ;) 

So i'm not preaching it's not happening, i'm just preaching a bit of caution on stating things that are predictions as facts. 

*I mean that you can build all options that you can field from that box.  

Isnt it obvious, forgeworld weapon packs :D.  

Seriously though, this is probably a long time from now so we neednt worry yet.  There are so many examples of 'broken' rules being fixed in one place but never another.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Benkei said:

Not all armies need to be able to summon, and it doesn't really fit KO, not even as reinforcements, as that excuse could be used for every army. 

100 times this. So annoying how GW wasted such a cool concepts (together with summoning) by giving it to everyone. Such a shame in my view

3 hours ago, Cvaldor said:

At LVO I was talking to some guys and I heard a cool idea for (if) we get a new battle tome this year.  Obviously we would be similar to khorne where we wouldn't have an endless spell per say but what about a really good terrain piece.  The terrain piece would be just the bow of an aircraft carrier (or mobile skyport etc) that would have to be on a board edge and can change locations on a die roll etc.  It could give buffs, repair ships, bombard nearby units etc  but the idea we had been talking about was summoning.  

When a KO unit kills a unit, the army gets an aethergold bounty worth half the point value of the unit.  You would then use the aethergold to hire (summon) additional KO units.  So for example if you kill Archaeon at 700ish points, you would be sitting at 300ish points worth of aethergold to "hire" a gunhauler, maybe some more ark co etc.  Just a lot of really cool ideas were being thrown around and made me hopeful for GW doing something great with the update.

A very cool idea indeed! It would certainly be better if GW just had left summoning out of matched play, entirely.  To me it kills a lot of the balance.  

• LOVE IT! 1

*whispers* Let Navigators cast not-spells.

Or at least make Aetherstorm and Read the Winds better. The Navigators look silly awesome and I want to field one. I'm probably gonna get one anyway even if they are on the bigger boats.

BTW, I've got my first Arkanaut Company assembled! Even kitbashed one. Just need to get my paint scheme figured out so I know what to buy. I might start assembling my Riggers to keep me busy until then.

• Like 1

Four changes that would make the army have a unique playstyle and incorporate ships:

1- Embark and disembark both happen in the movement phase, you cannot disembark the same turn you embark. This would allow you to move the ship before disembarking in the same turn which removes reliance on a double turn to do this maneuver.

2- Up to half of the embarked models may fire from the deck of the ship. All hitchers can fire at -1 to hit.  It's in every piece of Kharadron artwork... Only makes sense.

3- Hero abilities can be used while embarked drawing range and LoS from the hull.  Would make the Navigator and Admiral way more useful having their abilities be mobile.

4- Airships can retreat from a non flying unit and still fire their guns.  Don't understand how any pesky foot troops could hold an airship in combat.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Or at least make Aetherstorm and Read the Winds better. The Navigators look silly awesome and I want to field one. I'm probably gonna get one anyway even if they are on the bigger boats.

BTW, I've got my first Arkanaut Company assembled! Even kitbashed one. Just need to get my paint scheme figured out so I know what to buy. I might start assembling my Riggers to keep me busy until then.

*whispers* please no summoning/spells for dwarfs even if you call it different. 

Personally found it a very weak move in GW’s part to make endless spells for Khorne. Even if they call it not magic but bloodlust made real. 

But much more importantly: great job on the conversion and finishing the first squad! Can we see a picture of the conversion? 

I did a test model that didn’t make the cut that I’m still wanting to use somewhere. So maybe it will help you. I did the armour with a green sheen by mixing a little waystone green (technical paint) with silver on top is a iron base coat. Really loved the effect in combination with the sandy colour from the book. I’ll see if I can find a picture if you are interested? 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Personally found it a very weak move in GW’s part to make endless spells for Khorne. Even if they call it not magic but bloodlust made real. 

To be fair, the most popular khorne list (gore pilgrim) make slaughterpriests borderline tzeentchians. 6 spells prayers per turn with 75% chance of sucess and not needing line of sight ? YES

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Now that Khorne is getting endless spells, I would be pretty surprised if KO didn't get something, probably some take on aetherstorms or some sort of lasting aethereffects. Somekind of aether lightning storm that causes mortal wounds in one of the normal endless spell ways. Some kind of aethercloud barrier and then maybe some kind of aether vortexes that slow down movement, with perhaps a chance to cause mortal wounds. I could also see something that shutsdown or at least harms spellcasting too. Fyreslayers will probably get some too in the form of some kind of "endless runes". I'm not overly enthused about the idea, but GW has shown that they endless spells are basically part of new faction updates and that they're going to do it with non-magic armies too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I'm not overly enthused about the idea, but GW has shown that they endless spells are basically part of new faction updates and that they're going to do it with non-magic armies too.

Same boat here. Although I was pleasantly surprised they didn't also retroactively added a terrain feature to Khorne. 

7 hours ago, Kramer said:

*whispers* please no summoning/spells for dwarfs even if you call it different. 

I can respect that. But having only the one hero be able to unbind (unless you're running Barak-Nar or at least the Trust Aethermatics, Not Superstition Amendment) makes us a touch weak compared to other armies since the Navigator doesn't have a ton of use. I forget if Fyreslayers have ANY unbinding option, but I don't think they do.

If the Navigator is going to be our not-Runelord...make them a proper one at least. Or let the Khemests unbind as well. Just like. Spray the wizards in the eyes or something.

While I'm here I also have another question. When taking a group of Thunderers, is it worth it to take a couple special weapons to benefit from Pin Them, Shred Them or Finish Them? At least if either 1) I have enough total rifles to benefit from a Khemist or 2) they're straight up not hanging out with a Khemist?

Imho, Navigator should be "navigating". I mean, they read the wind, see where the aethergold goes, and use our ships movement at maximum eficiency.

On the table, I see him like an utility tool, focused on ship's movement (and skywardens/endrinriggers), endrinmaster should be another tool but focused on shooting with ships, aetherkhemist should be an endrinmaster but for Aerther-weapons and Admirals should be the Big Boss with some melee punch (If you want the job done...). No need to have endless spells, but maybe some terrain miniatures or "bomb" miniatures (like SCE comet, but with a big bomb in the middle of a big crater) maybe giving endrinmasters an ability to reload ships after dropping this bombs.

I feel that Fyreslayers have better background to have "Endless prayers", after all, they are monks/berzerks that want to ressurect their god.

I’ve been running a very fun list for Kharadrons since the summer (pre-ghb), I will be honest and say it’s quite thought intensive because of the synergy between the Comand trait and the formation buff and because you have to really think about where you position for maximum shooting but minimum combat. I’ve changed the heroes around a bit and once tried Endrinriggers in exchange for just the Navi as a hero but dislike this because of loss of free artefact but also scenarios sometimes need a hero to score.  I’m thinking of just a navi and khemist and then 5 more thunderers (once I’ve built and painted 5 more) 

the navigator is a great general if you cant or don’t want to have the admiral (maybe 2x endrinmasters for more heals) because he is a 3+ save and the way the formation and trait work your always packing yourself in tight with the 4 ships (and any infantry you can squeeze in 3”) so your not really needed to fight or shoot.  I also find the gunhaulers to be amazing a) for canon, b) for the mortal wounds when you do get charged sometimes it can be 3d3 damage mortals

But.... overall it’s a lot of fun to play and if you get it right you can totally blast the aether gold out of armies especially on a providential double turn! 

A3A4B11E-73E4-4F47-A27A-7946B6254984.png

E67B89A1-9B94-4F2A-9144-66F3BDC49105.png

4324BAC2-D454-4942-A7A1-2F467BB56208.png

- new to the forum but i love my drwaves - not a super pro at the game but have been a warhammer fan  for a long long time.

i feel like the KO lack tank like warriors. 

And i was just thinking lore wise i may have an idea - dont know a name for them yet - but basically since KO are very "greedy" they would need a security force to protect aether gold right? now arknanuts sure as your basic warrior but im talking the best of the best arknaughts. like the fyreslayers hearthgaurds. 

so why not create a unit battleline where at the start of a match you get to " deep strike" these units onto an objective or enemy hero. - you roll 2D6 to see how bad the drop is ( i mean come on they have airships and we dont have paratroopers?) your opponent gets to choose where you land on the roll but cant place you off the table. 

so you land near objectives to hold them. 

this unit will not be able to move at all from this spot ( i.e they are protecting a rich vein of aether gold ) UNTIL relived by frinedly units. 

so basically they get somewhere first hold it and once the rest of the army comes they can hand it off and move like normal units. 

for non matched play just give them the ability to deepstrike anywhere they want. 

but wait what else would make a unit like that good yet not OP? 

so they drop in. and have riot shields and "shotguns" - their not assault units and they do NOT want to be moved. so shields prevent them from being picked away. - maybe give them a drop captain or something who can use a command ability to drop some kind of smoke to give them an increase of cover. ( harder chance to hit) and then like the CEllastar ballista allow them to set up a canon. - something usually seen on an airship. 

side note - the unit can be battleshocked OFF the objetive but they should have a very high BS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dekison said:

- new to the forum but i love my drwaves - not a super pro at the game but have been a warhammer fan  for a long long time.

i feel like the KO lack tank like warriors. 

And i was just thinking lore wise i may have an idea - dont know a name for them yet - but basically since KO are very "greedy" they would need a security force to protect aether gold right? now arknanuts sure as your basic warrior but im talking the best of the best arknaughts. like the fyreslayers hearthgaurds. 

so why not create a unit battleline where at the start of a match you get to " deep strike" these units onto an objective or enemy hero. - you roll 2D6 to see how bad the drop is ( i mean come on they have airships and we dont have paratroopers?) your opponent gets to choose where you land on the roll but cant place you off the table. 

so you land near objectives to hold them. 

this unit will not be able to move at all from this spot ( i.e they are protecting a rich vein of aether gold ) UNTIL relived by frinedly units. 

so basically they get somewhere first hold it and once the rest of the army comes they can hand it off and move like normal units. 

for non matched play just give them the ability to deepstrike anywhere they want. 

but wait what else would make a unit like that good yet not OP? 

so they drop in. and have riot shields and "shotguns" - their not assault units and they do NOT want to be moved. so shields prevent them from being picked away. - maybe give them a drop captain or something who can use a command ability to drop some kind of smoke to give them an increase of cover. ( harder chance to hit) and then like the CEllastar ballista allow them to set up a canon. - something usually seen on an airship. 

side note - the unit can be battleshocked OFF the objetive but they should have a very high BS. 

Auto aetherturrets (drop from the sky and hold the ground)

Aetherdrones (support)

Aetherguard (cc heavy infantry)

New ships 

Some sort of heavy cavalry unit (grundstock balloon guys?)

Aethermancer (true antymagic hero with aether generator for manipulating aether energy)

Kharadron magnate (not named one)

Grundstock hero (some kind of monster hunter heavy hitter)

New aether effects (smoke/gas screens (debuff enemy units), aether clouds (attack enemy units with lightning), aether wall (buff friendly units/give cover)

Kharadron overlords Zonbek (ironclade size skyfortress with garrison rule and etc.)

Rebalance for already existing units.

We have so many possible new units and changes in already existing... I just hope that then GW release new book for KO it will be more then 1 week release with book, dices, 1 hero and terrain. 

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 3