AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

49 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

dont you need 3 battle line in a 1500 point list?

I did think about it but ideally wanted to start at 1000 points as there’s other armies I’m interested in for bigger forces.

3 Bl starts at 2000 pts. For 1000 pts SC is useless) 

Just take 2 squads of arcanauts (240), alchemist (160), ironclad (420), 5 grundstock thunderers and navigator.

Or you can take 2 squads of arcanauts (240), alchemist (160), frigate (240) and 9 endrinriggers. 

1 hour ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Hi guys, I wanted to start AoS just over a year ago and KO was who I was going to go with. I liked the idea of a small band that plies their trade monster hunting.

The birth of my son put those plans off though until my brother grabbed me some skyriggers and a khemist for Xmas (at the time I’d thought about going Khorne instead because I thought bloodletters would be a bit more forgiving when learning to paint) so I’m going to do a small 1000pt force of the KO. The start collecting box is really good value but I just can’t figure out how to get the models from that and the models I’ve got into a 1000 point list. Only having one battle line unit seems to be really hampering.

Id want a boat in the list, and the riggers my brother bought me, but how would anyone go about putting those into a list utilising the SC box? Would it be a case of selling parts of the SC box maybe?

i really like KO but they’re seeming like they’re maybe not the best army to start with at the minute and I might be better exchanging those gifted models and starting with something else?

Scroll up this page for 3 suggested 1k lists to think about (my last post but one).

The problem with the SC box is that it doesn’t give you any battleline, so you’re already committed to 2 separate boxes of arkanauts on top, and it gives you a gunhauler, which is probably the least useful ship. If you want to go KO, already having a khemist and some riggers is a solid start. Grab a couple of arkanaut companies, and then either a frigate or an ironclad, if you want a ship. If you take a frigate, another couple of boxes of riggers will round out a reasonable 1k list.

1 hour ago, cofaxest said:

3 Bl starts at 2000 pts. For 1000 pts SC is useless) 

Just take 2 squads of arcanauts (240), alchemist (160), ironclad (420), 5 grundstock thunderers and navigator.

Or you can take 2 squads of arcanauts (240), alchemist (160), frigate (240) and 9 endrinriggers. 

Oh, I tried doing a list on the community wars roll maker thing and I was sure it was telling me I needed 3 battle line when I was over 1000 points, if it’s only 2 at 1.5k that does help.

47 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Scroll up this page for 3 suggested 1k lists to think about (my last post but one).

The problem with the SC box is that it doesn’t give you any battleline, so you’re already committed to 2 separate boxes of arkanauts on top, and it gives you a gunhauler, which is probably the least useful ship. If you want to go KO, already having a khemist and some riggers is a solid start. Grab a couple of arkanaut companies, and then either a frigate or an ironclad, if you want a ship. If you take a frigate, another couple of boxes of riggers will round out a reasonable 1k list.

I did look at those thanks, I was going for more thematic than competitive and the SC just seemed like such good value. A frigate or ironclad is what I’d prefer so unfortunately it looks like I’m just going to have to spend more money.

thanks though guys.

from a hobby perspective im thinking a tundra landscape. I saw a great base on a 40k model that used Thundertusk tusks coming out of ice and would love to replicate it.

thinking of adding fur cuffs to the gloves and boots of the models too. 

Many other ideas for making my models look like they belong in that kind of landscape?

10 hours ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Oh, I tried doing a list on the community wars roll maker thing and I was sure it was telling me I needed 3 battle line when I was over 1000 points, if it’s only 2 at 1.5k that does help.

I did look at those thanks, I was going for more thematic than competitive and the SC just seemed like such good value. A frigate or ironclad is what I’d prefer so unfortunately it looks like I’m just going to have to spend more money.

You still need 3 boxes of arcanauts just for make them fully equiped with special weapons. 

Edited by cofaxest

5 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Sorry I don’t understand?

You need to buy (with money) 3 sets of Arkanauts to get enough special weapon bits to give 1 squat the same special weapon three times. (Read 3 light skyhooks)

Edited by Gecktron

19 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Sorry I don’t understand?

In the Arkanaut Company box you get 1 lance, 1 Light skyhook and 1 machinegun BUT you want all your 3 special-weapon-guy to wield the same weapon to optimize the aether-khemist buff! 

To get 3 lances, 3 skyhook and 3 machinegun you need to buy 3 arkanaut company box.

Always remember to save extra bits from Endrinriggers kit to model light skyhook and other weapon on your arkanauts, those bits could be very expensive on e-bay.

I've done it this way, you need a bit of modeling patience/skill but is doable 😉

1 hour ago, Furuzzolo said:

In the Arkanaut Company box you get 1 lance, 1 Light skyhook and 1 machinegun BUT you want all your 3 special-weapon-guy to wield the same weapon to optimize the aether-khemist buff! 

To get 3 lances, 3 skyhook and 3 machinegun you need to buy 3 arkanaut company box.

Always remember to save extra bits from Endrinriggers kit to model light skyhook and other weapon on your arkanauts, those bits could be very expensive on e-bay.

I've done it this way, you need a bit of modeling patience/skill but is doable 😉

48 minutes ago, eciu said:

Welcome to KO. All the money, none of might 😜

I’ve got to say it doesn’t seem like an entry level army, I think I’m going to have to see if I can exchange the gifts my brother got me :(

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

I’ve got to say it doesn’t seem like an entry level army, I think I’m going to have to see if I can exchange the gifts my brother got me :(

Nah man, don't let disgruntled gamers ruin the hobby for you. Pick out whatever you think is most appealing and go with it. Rules change and meta-lists come and go, the aesthetics are what really matter. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eciu said:

And find out that most armies beats your collection without breaking sweat ?

It's really  bear favor you are doing here mate. 

Dissuading new players from buying in is probably the least effective way to incentivize the company into updating our rules. Those updates will happen eventually, but until then the excessive complaining is self-destructive. GW frequently requests consumer feedback, that is the best place to leave complaints. New players need encouragement, lets try not to sour them with negativity before they can even get started.  

I’m going to stick with making a small force and hope the rules in the future don’t punish me for not buying 3 boxes of a unit to make a single viable one.

It’s more thematic I’m going for anyway. I’ll do a different army afterwards for a bit more of a competitive edge. The KO are just too cool to overlook, and bing new i don’t expect to be winning many games off the bat anyway. Time to order some paints!

• Like 2

I wanted to help, not to dissuade you from collecting KO! They're one of the best AoS army and you can play them and win games with no problems.

At 1000 points i'm having some very good game  and winning more then losing! The models are stunning and the lore unique and evocative!

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

I’m going to stick with making a small force and hope the rules in the future don’t punish me for not buying 3 boxes of a unit to make a single viable one.

Oh its perfectly fine to start with one or two sets of Arkanauts. I good strategy for starter is to just build one of each special weapons. So your first squat has 1 Skyhook, 1 Skypike and 1 Volley Gun. You do the same for your second squad and when you have your third you have 3 of each weapon. 

Even though the Skyhook is really good, you aren't doing anything wrong by building one Skypike and one Volleygun squad. 
Also, you can always say "This unit of 20 Arkanauts has 6 Skyhooks" even though you only have 2. Just mark 6 models and you should be fine when playing against almost everyone.  

Its not that the rules punish you, GW is just always a little stingy with putting special weapons in troop sets. 

• Like 1

It’s more thematic I’m going for anyway. I’ll do a different army afterwards for a bit more of a competitive edge. The KO are just too cool to overlook, and bing new i don’t expect to be winning many games off the bat anyway. Time to order some paints!

Right on yo, that's the spirit! If you have a theme already in mind then start with the models that match that. I've been working to make 7 small units of Endrinriggers all look unique, (mostly with head swaps and color choices) but compatible enough to fit my overall colors and theme.  So far I have units with Miner heads, Gyrocopter pilot heads, regular Rigger and Warden heads, Hero heads (admiral,edrinmaster and khemist), and two units made up of random dispossessed, fireslayer and Bloodbowl heads.
The main reason I recommended the three boxes of Company is because of the battleline requirement for 2k games. Having the extra bits is good too!

001(1).webp

3 hours ago, ArmyOfGrodd said:

It isn’t true that you need 3 boxes of arkanauts to have 3 special weapons the same in each unit, that assumes you only buy arkanauts. As you have a box of riggers already, if you build endrinriggers (which I would advise anyway) you will have plenty of extra special weapons to kit out your arkanauts with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Reginald_Albacore said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. But on today's Stormcast, background writer Nick Horth talks about how hes working on his own personal Kharadron force and also briefly mentions that hes writing some Kharadron stuff for the company right now. Which is good news I'd say.

They also talked about staff starting armies they know kits are coming out for in 2 years 😁

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:24 PM, Baron Wastelands said:

It isn’t true that you need 3 boxes of arkanauts to have 3 special weapons the same in each unit, that assumes you only buy arkanauts. As you have a box of riggers already, if you build endrinriggers (which I would advise anyway) you will have plenty of extra special weapons to kit out your arkanauts with

If you have an open-minded group, you can play without WYSIWYG. Just talk to your oponent and say what's the loadout of every miniature. After some games and (maybe) more bits in your box, you will have everything you need to build a proper army.

Edited by Beliman

Can anyone point me in the direction of a KO competitive(ish) list? I'm looking for a hobby project.

I understand they're not in the best spot right now (I'm a destruction player, so I understand), but I literally have no idea what's the goto stuff to go with.

Cheers!

• Haha 1

Hello all! I've been thinking about some tweaks that might help KO work a little better and I'd like your thoughts.

First, make aetheric augmentation a command ability that either A: can also target boats, or B: targets all melee or all shooting profiles on a single unit.

Second, drop the points for an aetherkemist to 110-120 to offset the fact that his main ability now costs a command point.

Third, just looking at the warscrolls without taking into account any other unit interactions, it seems like sky wardens are supposed to be flying close combat guys and endrin riggers are supposed to hang back and protect the boats. To make those roles more clear I would suggest nerfing the aethermatic saws (either drop the rend to -1 or make them 4+ 3+), possibly extending the range on the rivet guns a bit, and buffing the skypikes (either -2 rend or 3+ 3+ or both).

This lowers the reliance on kemists while still retaining the thing that makes them special and gives the wardens a clear role and a reason to cost 120 points while riggers still have a role (even if it's different from the current one).

What do you guys think?

13 minutes ago, Daggoth91 said:

Hello all! I've been thinking about some tweaks that might help KO work a little better and I'd like your thoughts.

First, make aetheric augmentation a command ability that either A: can also target boats, or B: targets all melee or all shooting profiles on a single unit.

Second, drop the points for an aetherkemist to 110-120 to offset the fact that his main ability now costs a command point.

Third, just looking at the warscrolls without taking into account any other unit interactions, it seems like sky wardens are supposed to be flying close combat guys and endrin riggers are supposed to hang back and protect the boats. To make those roles more clear I would suggest nerfing the aethermatic saws (either drop the rend to -1 or make them 4+ 3+), possibly extending the range on the rivet guns a bit, and buffing the skypikes (either -2 rend or 3+ 3+ or both).

This lowers the reliance on kemists while still retaining the thing that makes them special and gives the wardens a clear role and a reason to cost 120 points while riggers still have a role (even if it's different from the current one).

What do you guys think?

Alchemists are good as they are IMHO, the only one thing i would change - double the attack  characteristic of buffed weapon instead of only +1 to attack characteristic.

If we talk about riggers and wardens... Wardens need to change skymines to deal 1 MW when they fly over enemy unit for each 6+ (roll 2 dice for each warden) 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, froo said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a KO competitive(ish) list? I'm looking for a hobby project

I will try to explain a little bit how I see our "competitives builds". Maybe not really what you want but something that you need to know before buying anything:

-Our battlelines are our old "dwarf canons". Give them skyhooks and try to have a big unit to be buffed by a khemist every shooting phase. That's our ranged shooting.

-Endrinriggers are our heavy cavalry. Try to buff them with the khemist and have a unit with enough damage to remove your priority targets. Btw, they can't recieve a hit.

-Khemists are our most important leaders. We only use CP for battleshock Phase so we can "ignore " other Command Abilities.

-Navigators are good for low-magic armies, but are a waste for dedicated magic armies. Barak-nar don't have  the tools to deal with magic-heavy tactics.

-Everything else in our army is just to support the points above or to give us a bit more "tools". If you want to have Brokk for CA charging endrinriggers, that's a plus; if you want some skywardens to make a moving gun platform, nice!! ships for alpha strike, awesome!! Here is were every KO player can "play" with their list-building (a bit).

-For skyports, you will see that urbaz is one the best for gunlines and big units, Zilfin is a beast if you want to make an alpha strike (buffed endrinriggers/arkanauts) and I have a soft spot for Mhornar (if you hit early, you will hit really hard without going full alpha). Btw, other armies seems to have better alpha strikes, better ranged dmg (magic) and better staying power (charging and defending zones) than anything you have, but that's more about our outdated battletome than anything else.

-For allies, I will recomend a knight incantor+comet for competitive play. Duardin Warriors or even Vulkite Berzerks are really good units for objectives/chaff and don't need an HQ to support them.

-Try to ignore battalions unless youhave a plan that needs their ability. To make a one-drop-army just put one or two ships (really eazy to give them some type of strategy to be worth). 

-Ignore gunhaulers. They are really hard to use, don't have enough damage buffs than other units, can't road-block better than chaff or comet, don't bring anything that you need unless you have a really good plan for them (don't know how, I played with three of them with battalion/ironclad and old ordinator  buffs/CA and imho, It was a waste...).

Your meta will dictate how you need to build your army. But in my experiències, KO are hit/shoot or miss.

Ex.: Don't try to stop Nagash magic, kill him ASAP.

Edited by Beliman