AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I have chosen Kharadron overlords as my main army even though they seem to be in the worst spot right now. But I have own most of the armies that was around before AOS 2 and yet never felt satisfied. And Kharadron overlords have something that I value higher than the fact that they aren't a competitive army. And that is character. They have amazing models,  great theme and I can't praise the fluff enough. And I am more a painter than a competitive player so that is also a big part of my choice. 

• Like 2

I am pretty much the same as you, Amradiel.  There is something about the army that I do really enjoy - it's hard to quantify.

I figure that given some more time (when they don't have a new edition to worry about), the devs will get KO into a better place in terms of game play. Meantime, I shall enjoy the army for what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Im new with the KO and I only saw the games in the youtube channel miniwargaming and from what I learned the best strategy is making a fortress of an Ironclad in the middle with one frigate on each side and one company of arkanauts on the exterior sides of the frigates  with two gunhaulers in front of the frigates and the last company of arkanauts in front of the ironclad, in that strategy we can keep the Ironclad safe  for at least 2 or 3 turns and making safe shootings with also the frigates and the gunhaulers, we keep the admiral and one navigator inside of the iron clad and for claiming another objectives we can play with a unit of 6 to 12 skywardens with the grapelnerf and skypikes  and two drill cannons.

Personally from what I read and saw from the codex and some discussions the main problems with the fantasy squats are the battlelines, we need more battlelines like the grundstock thunderers and some type of unit like an ironbreakers overlords, the dropping cost of the ships was nice but what we need is improve the saves of the ships, we need that the Ironclad and the rest of the ships up one level their saves, the Ironclad need a standard save of 3+ plus a rule that can make their save a 2+ on some rare occasions and the frigates and gunhaulers need a save of 4+, also from what I can understand its not the same a great skycannon, a heavy sky cannon and a regular sky cannon but the great skycannon have the range of 24 inches and the heavy and regular cannons have the same range, the difference should be of 3 inches between the last two cannons.

Ending with a fantasy I believe that we need a special rule of using the frigates and the ironclad like a mount for heroes, the embark rule is just not enough, and I think chemists are too vanilla, we need more abilities for that hero, because to me it looks more like a dwarf with a vacuum cleaner and a leafblower that an actual chemist warrior we need some skills that can match the levels of a wizard like transmutating weapons or rust the equipment, maybe an improvement of saves for a unit or making an armor piercing rule for any unit but not for ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

I am pretty much the same as you, Amradiel.  There is something about the army that I do really enjoy - it's hard to quantify.

I figure that given some more time (when they don't have a new edition to worry about), the devs will get KO into a better place in terms of game play. Meantime, I shall enjoy the army for what it is.

I know what you mean. I play My Legions of Nagash, Look at my KO and just think they are so damn cool.......out they come again. Same thing with my Khorne and my Stormcast. Best looking army by far in my opinion with a very cool story and a great theme. I am sure KO will get back to somewhere near their best but it probably wont be until at least GHB 19 or maybe even longer, we just need a new book. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sainted75 said:

I know what you mean. I play My Legions of Nagash, Look at my KO and just think they are so damn cool.......out they come again. Same thing with my Khorne and my Stormcast. Best looking army by far in my opinion with a very cool story and a great theme. I am sure KO will get back to somewhere near their best but it probably wont be until at least GHB 19 or maybe even longer, we just need a new book. 

At some point, GW will get around to bringing out new books and models for all the armies.  A whole lot of AoS armies have a very poor selection of models.  In fairness though, armies like Ironjawz and Fyreslayers have been waiting longer, though.  As long as we can get better points values, and maybe an errata or two, we should be ok with GHB updates for a while.

• Like 1

I think there maybe some legs in large blocks of Arkanaughts, They negate the Look out sir so character sniping would still be a thing. Utilise the battleshock immunity from the admiral to make them stay around. Units of 10 Thunderers with rifles and the obligatory Riggers to fill the remaining slots. Include the normal support of a khemist, use barak Urbaz for the double buff, and of course a navigator for some magic dispels. I haven't looked at the points of the list but it should be doable in 2k even if you have to take maybe 1 smaller unit of Arkanaughts.

Here's my list from the tournament. It was 1250pts with the matched play restrictions for 1000pts. Spoiler alert - I lost every game.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aetheric Navigator
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 
Aether-Khemist 
Knight-Venator 
- Allies
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 1x Skypikes
- 2x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 1x Skypikes
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
6 x Endrinriggers 
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
Arkanaut Frigate 
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
Grundstok Gunhauler 
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon

Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 200
Wounds: 71

Game 1: Knife to the Heart vs Skaven

It was my first ever tournament and only second ever game so I was pretty hopeless. The first guy I played ended up winning the whole tournament and I didn't really know what I was doing so I'm sure it wasn't too fun for him. He was nice though and kept apologising for destroying me.  He had some Storm Fiends, piles of Plague Monks, Warp Lightning Cannon and wizard and an engineer.  I kinda pushed forward and sent my Gunhauler up the flank, who managed to kill one Stormfiend before getting smashed by monks (I forgot about the frag charges). I screwed up all my ranges for everything so didn't get many shots off. Everything else kinda milled around the middle of the table except for one company who were hanging at the back by the objective. The weren't far enough back though as he managed to sneak in some gutter runners behind me. Everything died. I managed to kill one unit of monks with the Riggers. To be honest, I was more upset that my flight stand on the frigate broke as I was putting it down in deployment. Had to just use the base for the rest of the day.

IMG_0070.jpg.c9d953e45b693d06c249262cf7d7269e.jpgIMG_0074.jpg.b9887d9cd1e29e27c0f8a45e419362f3.jpgIMG_0072.jpg.bc08bdca4c709a5b352221a5abc63887.jpg

Games 2: Battle for the Pass vs Legion of Nagash

This game I  actually felt a lot more in control. I managed to push up one flank with the boats first turn, dump all the riggers out and shoot the Black Coach of the table, also capturing the objective. Unfortunately I didn't manage to kill his black knights and they wiped out my Riggers. I ran my Frigate away before he got smashed and eventually got him around the back to seize the rear objective. Meanwhile in the middle of the board one company held off a big unit of wolves for quite a while. Until they too died. My khemist ended up surrounded by a million zombies at the end of the game. Gunhauler died to a bunch of grave guard. The frigate got chased everywhere by the Black Knights who eventually prevailed. Meanwhile the Knight Venator sat on a hill shooting all his characters, killed his necromancer but failed to dent the Vampire. Then everything that was left died.

IMG_0075.jpg.d8bb7de0041e9247437114ab25313eb3.jpgIMG_0076.jpg.2152115f0408bf95e335e0df713e8828.jpgIMG_0077.jpg.18e0fda06e153914efda60d6d4b48b69.jpg

Game 3: Starstrike vs Nighthaunt

Another great opponent who was using Nighthaunt for the first time that day. Great game that I felt I did everything right in, unfortunately I couldn't roll a hit to save myself. Cannons never hit despite chucking khemist buff and the re-rolling ones. Companies both got wiped out by Chainrasps (sooo many attacks). Riggers had a great outing, smashing a giant hoard of chainrasps then a guardian of souls using Who Strikes First, Strikes Hardest. Despite then having my frigate, gunhauler and Venator surrounding Lady Olynder and shooting her with impunity, they did no damage. Then everything died.

IMG_0078.jpg.00bb42e8440137f113535443b53ea399.jpg

(that's my frigate doing a wheelie as it wouldn't stay on the stand but I felt stink not having it on the table).

Game 4: Kill Everthing vs Stormcast - Sacrosanct

Custom scenario, get as many kill points as possible. I had no hope in this one. Tried to make it at least entertaining for my opponent but I never stood a chance. Managed to avoid a complete whitewash by destroying a unit of prosecutors with one of my company. Everything else died.

The thing I struggled with most all day was actually hurting stuff. The range on the guns all put you in threat range of everything and having to roll 4s and 4s you don't have much chance of killing whatever you need to before they are all over you. Rolling tons of dice each shooting phase for no effect is pretty disheartening. What are options for plus ones to hit? I might try out a unit of Thunders all with rifles just to get a bit better consistency. The other thing was terrible armour saves. What kind of dwarves have bad armour, can't shoot and terrible bravery? Weird. Ships died way too easily. And everything is bad in a fight, except Riggers but I need to take them up to 9.

The day was fun, if a lot more mentally draining than I expected. I love the army but it was pretty hilarious how bad they were (and how bad I was). I know I forgot a bunch of stuff. It being the first time I played someone I didn't know was interesting, though it also being the first game of Warhammer I played without a drink in my hand was not something I'm sure I'm keen on. Very different from playing at a mates place.

Edited by Lord Panther
Photos doubled up
  • Like 5

Hey Guys!

Just finished up a small local club tournament over the weekend and took 1st!  There were only 8 attendants, so nothing huge, however there were some interesting and difficult lists which made my new list even more fun to try out.  List Below

Mortal Realm: Ghur

- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (160)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Aether-Khemist (160)
- Artefact: Rockjaws

Battleline
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
20 x Arkanaut Company (240)
- 6x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
5 x Grundstok Thunderers (100)
- 5x Aethershot Rifles
6 x Endrinriggers (240)

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (240)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
Arkanaut Frigate (240)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Malefic Skymines

Battalions
Iron Sky Squadron (130)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

Match 1 - Focal Points - Daughters of Khaine

The first match I decided to take the first turn.  My opponent had Morathi, a couple of the support characters, 30 witches, 10 witches, 10 witches, and then the Warlocks on horses.  He lined up right on the line, as did I, and stretched his units of witches in the very front.  Morathi had in the back of his lines.

In the past, this army has crushed mine due to the movement speed and high damage output he's been able to do against my lines.  This time I ran the gambit to see if I could cripple him enough to keep myself alive.  It worked out better than I had thought.

Turn one found 45 of 50 witches dead, the warlocks wounded heavily and simply his characters remaining.  He called it shortly after as he felt there was nothing he was able to do to come back. after my initial onslaught.

-Major Victory

Match 2 - Duality of Death - Spiderfang Grots

Spiders upon spiders upon spiders.  His list was 4 of the Arachnarok behemoths, a Spider shaman dude, unit of orruk boar boyz, a Warboss on Boar, and I believe 5 units of grot spider riders.  With all his behemoths and characters I knew this was going to be difficult.  I needed to secure, or at least deny as quickly as possible.

I took first turn and managed to rip through 2 of the Arachanroks and put damage on the other two enough to reduce their effectiveness.  He hit me early with charges, however between the khemists being able to sap some of the attacks and the size of my Arkanaut units, I was able to take the hits and fire back with loads of firepower.  This one ended in turn 4 with a full wipe of his army and me being able to claim the objectives with khemists.

-Major Victory

Match 3 - Total Commitment - Sylvaneth

I was worried about this one as Sylvaneth can be a very tanky army and eat up a lot of damage.  His list was Allarielle with a Spirit of Durthu tanking wounds for her.  Another Treeman, a branchwraith, 3 units of dryads, and those sneaky dudes that can deep strike (Revenants?)

I knew Allarielle would going to be the lynchpin and I had to take her down first I wanted to accomplish anything.  She also has the free extra summoning which was going to do havoc to my lines if she got that off.  I had basically one chance to take her out.  I targeted her first and threw the entire army's worth of shots at her.  She tanked a good chunk off to Durthu, but a final charge of Endrinriggers managed to take down her last wound.

His counter charge was pretty nasty, but I managed to tank a lot of the attacks.  Having the Endrinriggers that far up in his business took a lot of the flakk off my other units.  I managed to take out the rest of his items over the course of the next couple turns and once he had nothing but dryads left he called it.

-Major Victory

Overall the ability to drop everything between the battalion and Frigates within was a huge benefit.  I focused a lot on trying to get as devastating of an alpha strike as possible with targeted skyhook shots and clean up with the pistols on the Arkanauts.  The Endrinriggers were a fantastic speed bump and clean-up crew as were the Thunderers(100 points and could wipe small MSU units off of objectives easily.)  I enjoyed the army overall and it worked about as I was expecting it to, if not better.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Played in a 5 game 2000 point GT this past weekend at Crucible Orlando. Had a great time and I'm more confident in KO after the weekend than before the weekend. I know, and understand (and agree) they have been heavily nerfed this past edition.  This was just my experience and I think they are still quite good.

TL;DR: I went 2 - 3 but I could've done better if I was a better player. I killed 4 out of 5 generals, and never lost my general. Majority of the games I scored more table quarters than my opponent. Killed a Thudertusk, Stonehorn, Zombie dragon, Terrorgheist, Unclean One, hordes and hordes of night haunt skellies, ghouls, daemonettes, plaguebearers, and more.  And ALMOST killed a Keeper of Secrets, even after putting 20+ wounds into her (she kept healing herself from Shyish Realm Command Ability).

My list: 

Barak Urbaz
Swapped Artefact of Power for: Aethersight Loupe (unbind ability)
Footnote: There's No Reward Without Risk
Realm of Metal

Aetheric Navigator - General, Fleetmaster

Aether Khemist - Alchemical Chain (Chamon unbinding artefact)

Arkanaut Admiral - Aethersight Loupe (KO unbinding artefact)

Brokk Grungsson

-

20 Arkanaut Company - skyhooks

10 Arkanaut Company - volley guns

10 Arkanaut Company - skypikes

-

Arkanaut Ironclad - Magnificent Omniscope

-

12 Endrinriggers - 2 grapnel launchers

2000/2000

Game 1 vs. Beastclaw: Major Victory playing Starstrike

I let him go first, deployed my army out of charge range. He moved up did 1 mortal wound to my ship. My first turn, I shot his Thundertusk and calvary down a bit, charged with riggers, killed off his Thundertusk. Got turn 2 priority, dropped my Admiral off and he ran to the objective, shot his Stonehorn down, charged the calvary and Stonehorn with riggers and Brokk. Wiped most all of them out, killed Stonehorn. He conceded after round 2. General was in reserve 'hiding' and died for not deploying.

Game 2 vs. Nighthaunt: Minor Victory playing Duality of Death

I didn't think I could hold 2 objectives against a horde army. I took first turn. I deployed heavily to one side of the board. Parked the Ironclad on one and held it for the entire game. He took the 2nd object by teleporting there. It was a draw on VP and destroyed 1600 points of his army. He killed 120 points of mine. Game time ran out after round 2. Given another battle round, I would've been able to shoot my riggers to his object and take it over. 

Game 3 vs. Flesh Eater Courts: Major Loss playing Places of Arcane Power

It was his 6 wizards vs my 2 heros with artefacts for scoring (That's where I feel the unbalance). I let him go first, he ran everything on the board forward, had a bunch in reserve that he dropped in my backfield (diagonal deployment sucks for defending that). I put 10 in the back to block his mvmt. My turn, I took out his Zombie Dragon hero and almost his Terrorgheist hero. Couldn't shoot off his wizard near the middle objective. Turn 2 he got priority. He took the middle object and one outside objective, did a crazy 10 mortal wounds to my riggers from the terrorgheist and knocked all but 1 off. He pushed some ghouls into my hero with an artefact to keep him from contesting middle object (3 inches away!). My turn 2, I killed the terrorgheist and took an outside objective. I shot in the hero phase at the unit holding my hero with an artefact. Killed all but 3 and couldn't run out of combat to secure the middle objective. 4 - 2, his win. Game time ran out at the end of 2. 

What I could have done better: focus Brokk shooting and combat on his middle Wizard and round 3 I would've taken the center objective, securing the Major win (getting minor if we had to stop after turn 2). It came down to such a simple change of who to charge and attack. Priority turn 2 would've ensured a major victory since I wouldn't have been tied down by his ghouls for the middle objective.

Game 4 vs. Nurgle: Major Loss playing The Relocation Orb

I gave him first turn. He ran 30 plaguebearers on the objective. Moved his army closer to the middle. He dropped his Gutrot hero and blightkings on my back right deployment area. I retaliated turn 1 by taking out his unclean one in the shooting phase. Attacked his plaguebearers with riggers and Brokk and killed about half. Not enough on the objective to win it back. Killed off the blightkings in my backfield. I won priority for turn 2. The Orb moved to my bottom left and I ran a 10 man unit to it. My riggers/Brokk were tied up and my ship was too far away to get close enough. I tried shooting down his flies but couldn't take enough down before his turn. His turn 2, he flew his flies and a daemon prince down to the objective. His daemon prince was enough to sway the total in his direction. 4 - 1, his win. Game ended after round 2.

What I could have done better: Swapped my charge of Brokk and riggers. The riggers charged too many outside the center cluster of plaguebearers to score on my round. STUPID mistake. Shoot the prince, not the flies. I played to the 50/50 chance the orb was going to roll the other way. If it had, I would've had a much much better chance of parking the ship in the way and jumping on the objective with two heros with artefacts (counts as 40 models). Unlucky orb roll.

Game 5 vs. Slaanesh: Major Loss playing Gifts from the Heavens

I took first turn. Charged everything up, shot out a 20 unit of daemonettes, layed 10 wounds into his Keeper of Secrets. Grapnelled in and charged her with 12 riggers. She had the doppleganger cloak. I TOTALLY FORGOT. Riggers were shredded to pieces. I took out a couple chaos knights. His turn, he charged me a bunch of places, I held him off. I took top of round 2. I took one center line objective and my objective. Killed a bunch more of his models. His turn 2, deployed 30 daemonettes with his 31 depravity points and took my objective, his objective, and the new center objective. 6 - 4, his win. Game ended after turn 2. 

What I could have done better: OMG I could kick myself till next year. I knew he had the cloak, and then once I got into my turn, totally forgot. I went straight for the throat and couldn't even attack in combat. almost 500 points GONE! If I had just focused them to one side of his army, they would've shredded his units for two turns straight. Slaanesh is very squishy.

My conclusion... Kharadron Overlords, if played correctly, will lay waste to most of these armies. Understanding their army strengths and targeting them before they are effective is key but very doable with the ability to Fleetmaster and decide who goes turn 1. I could've decided who went first every game with a 2 drop army if needed. I never played Nagash, but I know that would've been a lot tougher. There were a few Nagash armies, lots of stormcast, lots of nighthaunt, and a mix of all others. We aren't top 3, but if I played as tactically as I know some of you are, I could've been top 5 of 30 armies. Maybe my sampling of opponents isn't typical, but I came away from the tournament satisfied with how good the army is, but unsatisfied with my tactical ability. And OH MAN, I killed lots and lots of monsters. ?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nicholunch said:

Played in a 5 game 2000 point GT this past weekend at Crucible Orlando. Had a great time and I'm more confident in KO after the weekend than before the weekend. I know, and understand (and agree) they have been heavily nerfed this past edition.  This was just my experience and I think they are still quite good.

TL;DR: I went 2 - 3 but I could've done better if I was a better player. I killed 4 out of 5 generals, and never lost my general. Majority of the games I scored more table quarters than my opponent. Killed a Thudertusk, Stonehorn, Zombie dragon, Terrorgheist, Unclean One, hordes and hordes of night haunt skellies, ghouls, daemonettes, plaguebearers, and more.  And ALMOST killed a Keeper of Secrets, even after putting 20+ wounds into her (she kept healing herself from Shyish Realm Command Ability).

My list: 

Barak Urbaz
Swapped Artefact of Power for: Aethersight Loupe (unbind ability)
Footnote: There's No Reward Without Risk
Realm of Metal

Aetheric Navigator - General, Fleetmaster

Aether Khemist - Alchemical Chain (Chamon unbinding artefact)

Arkanaut Admiral - Aethersight Loupe (KO unbinding artefact)

Brokk Grungsson

-

20 Arkanaut Company - skyhooks

10 Arkanaut Company - volley guns

10 Arkanaut Company - skypikes

-

Arkanaut Ironclad - Magnificent Omniscope

-

12 Endrinriggers - 2 grapnel launchers

2000/2000

Game 1 vs. Beastclaw: Major Victory playing Starstrike

I let him go first, deployed my army out of charge range. He moved up did 1 mortal wound to my ship. My first turn, I shot his Thundertusk and calvary down a bit, charged with riggers, killed off his Thundertusk. Got turn 2 priority, dropped my Admiral off and he ran to the objective, shot his Stonehorn down, charged the calvary and Stonehorn with riggers and Brokk. Wiped most all of them out, killed Stonehorn. He conceded after round 2. General was in reserve 'hiding' and died for not deploying.

Game 2 vs. Nighthaunt: Minor Victory playing Duality of Death

I didn't think I could hold 2 objectives against a horde army. I took first turn. I deployed heavily to one side of the board. Parked the Ironclad on one and held it for the entire game. He took the 2nd object by teleporting there. It was a draw on VP and destroyed 1600 points of his army. He killed 120 points of mine. Game time ran out after round 2. Given another battle round, I would've been able to shoot my riggers to his object and take it over. 

Game 3 vs. Flesh Eater Courts: Major Loss playing Places of Arcane Power

It was his 6 wizards vs my 2 heros with artefacts for scoring (That's where I feel the unbalance). I let him go first, he ran everything on the board forward, had a bunch in reserve that he dropped in my backfield (diagonal deployment sucks for defending that). I put 10 in the back to block his mvmt. My turn, I took out his Zombie Dragon hero and almost his Terrorgheist hero. Couldn't shoot off his wizard near the middle objective. Turn 2 he got priority. He took the middle object and one outside objective, did a crazy 10 mortal wounds to my riggers from the terrorgheist and knocked all but 1 off. He pushed some ghouls into my hero with an artefact to keep him from contesting middle object (3 inches away!). My turn 2, I killed the terrorgheist and took an outside objective. I shot in the hero phase at the unit holding my hero with an artefact. Killed all but 3 and couldn't run out of combat to secure the middle objective. 4 - 2, his win. Game time ran out at the end of 2. 

What I could have done better: focus Brokk shooting and combat on his middle Wizard and round 3 I would've taken the center objective, securing the Major win (getting minor if we had to stop after turn 2). It came down to such a simple change of who to charge and attack. Priority turn 2 would've ensured a major victory since I wouldn't have been tied down by his ghouls for the middle objective.

Game 4 vs. Nurgle: Major Loss playing The Relocation Orb

I gave him first turn. He ran 30 plaguebearers on the objective. Moved his army closer to the middle. He dropped his Gutrot hero and blightkings on my back right deployment area. I retaliated turn 1 by taking out his unclean one in the shooting phase. Attacked his plaguebearers with riggers and Brokk and killed about half. Not enough on the objective to win it back. Killed off the blightkings in my backfield. I won priority for turn 2. The Orb moved to my bottom left and I ran a 10 man unit to it. My riggers/Brokk were tied up and my ship was too far away to get close enough. I tried shooting down his flies but couldn't take enough down before his turn. His turn 2, he flew his flies and a daemon prince down to the objective. His daemon prince was enough to sway the total in his direction. 4 - 1, his win. Game ended after round 2.

What I could have done better: Swapped my charge of Brokk and riggers. The riggers charged too many outside the center cluster of plaguebearers to score on my round. STUPID mistake. Shoot the prince, not the flies. I played to the 50/50 chance the orb was going to roll the other way. If it had, I would've had a much much better chance of parking the ship in the way and jumping on the objective with two heros with artefacts (counts as 40 models). Unlucky orb roll.

Game 5 vs. Slaanesh: Major Loss playing Gifts from the Heavens

I took first turn. Charged everything up, shot out a 20 unit of daemonettes, layed 10 wounds into his Keeper of Secrets. Grapnelled in and charged her with 12 riggers. She had the doppleganger cloak. I TOTALLY FORGOT. Riggers were shredded to pieces. I took out a couple chaos knights. His turn, he charged me a bunch of places, I held him off. I took top of round 2. I took one center line objective and my objective. Killed a bunch more of his models. His turn 2, deployed 30 daemonettes with his 31 depravity points and took my objective, his objective, and the new center objective. 6 - 4, his win. Game ended after turn 2. 

What I could have done better: OMG I could kick myself till next year. I knew he had the cloak, and then once I got into my turn, totally forgot. I went straight for the throat and couldn't even attack in combat. almost 500 points GONE! If I had just focused them to one side of his army, they would've shredded his units for two turns straight. Slaanesh is very squishy.

My conclusion... Kharadron Overlords, if played correctly, will lay waste to most of these armies. Understanding their army strengths and targeting them before they are effective is key but very doable with the ability to Fleetmaster and decide who goes turn 1. I could've decided who went first every game with a 2 drop army if needed. I never played Nagash, but I know that would've been a lot tougher. There were a few Nagash armies, lots of stormcast, lots of nighthaunt, and a mix of all others. We aren't top 3, but if I played as tactically as I know some of you are, I could've been top 5 of 30 armies. Maybe my sampling of opponents isn't typical, but I came away from the tournament satisfied with how good the army is, but unsatisfied with my tactical ability. And OH MAN, I killed lots and lots of monsters. ?

Thanks for the write up and the positive vibe in them! Well played all in all and good starting point to help each other improve. 

Question about the list. How valuable was the admiral in your games? I find that he offers not enough for his points in my games. I;m seriously considering dropping him for 5 thunderers with rifles as objective holders. (especially when I got Brokk in the list)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Fun to read three different tournament happenings with different results and thoughts on Kharadron overlords as an army :) Really shows how much the game relies the list and the player. Thank you for the write ups! 

Oh yeah, to be very clear, my playing had a massive impact on how badly I did.

Looked great on the table though.

31 minutes ago, Lord Panther said:

Oh yeah, to be very clear, my playing had a massive impact on how badly I did.

Looked great on the table though.

I think you did well, only that one mistake charging someone who cant be attacked (ive not faced that yet so id probably have done the same anyway). Taking on nighthaunt i always struggle with so well done beating them.

KO are fun to play and can still do well, its not easy playing against tough lists but it can be done.

17 hours ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Hey Guys!

Just finished up a small local club tournament over the weekend and took 1st!  There were only 8 attendants, so nothing huge, however there were some interesting and difficult lists which made my new list even more fun to try out.  List Below

Overall the ability to drop everything between the battalion and Frigates within was a huge benefit.  I focused a lot on trying to get as devastating of an alpha strike as possible with targeted skyhook shots and clean up with the pistols on the Arkanauts.  The Endrinriggers were a fantastic speed bump and clean-up crew as were the Thunderers(100 points and could wipe small MSU units off of objectives easily.)  I enjoyed the army overall and it worked about as I was expecting it to, if not better.

Great job!  Sound like some great games and good tactical play, thanks for writing up your report!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Thanks for the write up and the positive vibe in them! Well played all in all and good starting point to help each other improve. 

Question about the list. How valuable was the admiral in your games? I find that he offers not enough for his points in my games. I;m seriously considering dropping him for 5 thunderers with rifles as objective holders. (especially when I got Brokk in the list)

Glad you asked. No, the admiral did very little with the Navigator already in the list. He was essentially another hero. My thoughts were he'd be another scorer and allow the ship to run and shoot. Rarely came in handy to run the ship with the Navigator doing a d6 extended move.

I rathered another 10 Arkanauts with skyhooks to buff with the khemist when the riggers got out of range.

Edited by Nicholunch

54 minutes ago, Nicholunch said:

I rathered another 10 Arkanauts with skyhooks to buff with the khemist when the riggers got out of range.

Also a good option. In most scenarios a better unit for objective capturing than the admiral I think. What are your thoughts on thunderers? I'm kinda leaning that way more and more. Someone else suggested a bigger squad with all rifles for the khemist to buff. Sounds like a great and more importantly reliable damage dealer. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Also a good option. In most scenarios a better unit for objective capturing than the admiral I think. What are your thoughts on thunderers? I'm kinda leaning that way more and more. Someone else suggested a bigger squad with all rifles for the khemist to buff. Sounds like a great and more importantly reliable damage dealer. 

Another equally good option. I think if I take Thunderers, I want to take them as 10, all rifles. Their ability to run out of combat would come in very handy. Let the Arkanaut pistols shoot the guys who charged your Thunderers and use the Thunderers to then shoot down special targets/mass infantry.

The think about Arkanauts is they are +1 to hit heros/monsters making their skyhooks 3+,3+. Those big 10 wound monsters can't take look out sir, most players were bringing 2 of them, and the 24" range is glorious.

If I dropped Brokk and the admiral, I could add a khemist and 10 Thunderers. That would be some scary shooting turn 1 and 2. If I kept Brokk, I'd do 10 Arkanauts. (Brokk is great for deterring charges and dealing an average 9 damage when supercharged tho). A few good choices is always a good place to be in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amradiel said:

I'm going to use my Admiral in 1000 point games and Brokk in 2000. Both are so damn cool. I also have a Navigator and two Khemists that will be included in various ways. 

Agreed! Although a tournament...I had the admiral painted and ready go. I didn't have the 10 extra Arkanauts painted yet. The army had to look badass. 

• LOVE IT! 1

On 10/15/2018 at 10:35 PM, Lord Panther said:

Here's my list from the tournament. It was 1250pts with the matched play restrictions for 1000pts. Spoiler alert - I lost every game.

Mortal Realm: Chamon

- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aetheric Navigator
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
- Artefact: Aethersight Loupe 
Aether-Khemist 
Knight-Venator 
- Allies
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 1x Skypikes
- 2x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company
- 1x Skypikes
- 2x Aethermatic Volley Guns
6 x Endrinriggers 
- 1x Drill Cannons
- 1x Grapnel Launchers
Arkanaut Frigate 
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
Grundstok Gunhauler 
- Main Gun: Sky Cannon

Total: 1240 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 200
Wounds: 71

Game 1: Knife to the Heart vs Skaven

It was my first ever tournament and only second ever game so I was pretty hopeless. The first guy I played ended up winning the whole tournament and I didn't really know what I was doing so I'm sure it wasn't too fun for him. He was nice though and kept apologising for destroying me.  He had some Storm Fiends, piles of Plague Monks, Warp Lightning Cannon and wizard and an engineer.  I kinda pushed forward and sent my Gunhauler up the flank, who managed to kill one Stormfiend before getting smashed by monks (I forgot about the frag charges). I screwed up all my ranges for everything so didn't get many shots off. Everything else kinda milled around the middle of the table except for one company who were hanging at the back by the objective. The weren't far enough back though as he managed to sneak in some gutter runners behind me. Everything died. I managed to kill one unit of monks with the Riggers. To be honest, I was more upset that my flight stand on the frigate broke as I was putting it down in deployment. Had to just use the base for the rest of the day.

IMG_0070.jpg.c9d953e45b693d06c249262cf7d7269e.jpgIMG_0074.jpg.b9887d9cd1e29e27c0f8a45e419362f3.jpgIMG_0072.jpg.bc08bdca4c709a5b352221a5abc63887.jpg

Games 2: Battle for the Pass vs Legion of Nagash

This game I  actually felt a lot more in control. I managed to push up one flank with the boats first turn, dump all the riggers out and shoot the Black Coach of the table, also capturing the objective. Unfortunately I didn't manage to kill his black knights and they wiped out my Riggers. I ran my Frigate away before he got smashed and eventually got him around the back to seize the rear objective. Meanwhile in the middle of the board one company held off a big unit of wolves for quite a while. Until they too died. My khemist ended up surrounded by a million zombies at the end of the game. Gunhauler died to a bunch of grave guard. The frigate got chased everywhere by the Black Knights who eventually prevailed. Meanwhile the Knight Venator sat on a hill shooting all his characters, killed his necromancer but failed to dent the Vampire. Then everything that was left died.

IMG_0075.jpg.d8bb7de0041e9247437114ab25313eb3.jpgIMG_0076.jpg.2152115f0408bf95e335e0df713e8828.jpgIMG_0077.jpg.18e0fda06e153914efda60d6d4b48b69.jpg

Game 3: Starstrike vs Nighthaunt

Another great opponent who was using Nighthaunt for the first time that day. Great game that I felt I did everything right in, unfortunately I couldn't roll a hit to save myself. Cannons never hit despite chucking khemist buff and the re-rolling ones. Companies both got wiped out by Chainrasps (sooo many attacks). Riggers had a great outing, smashing a giant hoard of chainrasps then a guardian of souls using Who Strikes First, Strikes Hardest. Despite then having my frigate, gunhauler and Venator surrounding Lady Olynder and shooting her with impunity, they did no damage. Then everything died.

IMG_0078.jpg.00bb42e8440137f113535443b53ea399.jpg

(that's my frigate doing a wheelie as it wouldn't stay on the stand but I felt stink not having it on the table).

Game 4: Kill Everthing vs Stormcast - Sacrosanct

Custom scenario, get as many kill points as possible. I had no hope in this one. Tried to make it at least entertaining for my opponent but I never stood a chance. Managed to avoid a complete whitewash by destroying a unit of prosecutors with one of my company. Everything else died.

The thing I struggled with most all day was actually hurting stuff. The range on the guns all put you in threat range of everything and having to roll 4s and 4s you don't have much chance of killing whatever you need to before they are all over you. Rolling tons of dice each shooting phase for no effect is pretty disheartening. What are options for plus ones to hit? I might try out a unit of Thunders all with rifles just to get a bit better consistency. The other thing was terrible armour saves. What kind of dwarves have bad armour, can't shoot and terrible bravery? Weird. Ships died way too easily. And everything is bad in a fight, except Riggers but I need to take them up to 9.

The day was fun, if a lot more mentally draining than I expected. I love the army but it was pretty hilarious how bad they were (and how bad I was). I know I forgot a bunch of stuff. It being the first time I played someone I didn't know was interesting, though it also being the first game of Warhammer I played without a drink in my hand was not something I'm sure I'm keen on. Very different from playing at a mates place.

Good to see more KO players in NZ. I was the only one for a long time. Keep at them bro!

• Like 1