AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

2 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

I was assuming just KO models, if you are willing to expand into Fyreslayers things open up considerably. But I will say... Don't run vulkites. Hearthguard berzerkers are simply SO much better point for point. With a hero around they are rocking a 4+ resilience so are effectively 4 wounds each.

Also the 1-per-4 units as part of allegiance are not mutually exclusive with allying in Fyreslayer models normally. So you can bring a high point cost 20-man hearthguard berzerker unit as part of the army proper but then ally in a Fyreslayers hero and a 5-man auric hearthguard unit to protect them (way better than ventplates). That way you can bring three Fyreslayers units without needing nine KO ones to accompany them.

What are you allying in to actually activate the cogs? Knight-Incantor?

Mainly Spell in the Bottle (I try to stay away from WLV/meteor/whatever).

I agree with HGB, they are the stars of the show hands down. I've never thought to take Fyreslayers as Allies! Nice catch.

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Spell in a Bottle will summon the Cogs, but that's it. To generate one of the two effects you still need a wizard to activate them.

Bound Chrono cogs is worded slightly differently to standard cogs. It says “the caster” can manipulate the cogs rather than “a wizard”. RAW the Khemist is the caster so is able to manipulate bound cogs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's one of the things that I will be sad to let it go if they nerf our Spell in the Bottle. Bound Chronomatic Coggs is so fun (I was sold after a random Ironclad charge with Battleram that did 8 mw  and then hit with bombracks for another 3 mw).

It helps HGB/ Vulkites with shields after being Tunneled, Endrinriggers after a Fly High, Gunhauler with Zonbarcorp "Debtsettler" Spar Torpedos, Ironclad with Zonbarcorp "Dealbreaker" Battle Ram, Gyrobombers, Gotrek, and even Magmadroth buffed with Runeson on Magmadroth CA (never played with any Magmadroth, but they are great looking models and are part of SC).

It helps the enemy too, but playing Thryng is so refreshing (and have a lot of WTF moments) that I really don't care!

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, NinthMusketeer said:

I am a fan of the endrinmaster with the aethercharged run from Barak-nar. Attack, burn gold to re-roll non 6s, then change a miss to a 6. Not hard to get 6MW that way, can be quite the nasty surprise. Obviously not very meta, but fun.

Edit: Nevermind. I was mistaken, I was thinking of something else. 

I play exclusively barak mhornar. I have a hard time taking the ram, EM combo as it wants me to be charging.. but at the same time the whole point of mhornar is keeping everything out of combat. Its just so hard to pass on that amount of mortal wounds though :| This is my basic struggle currently when writing lists. 

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

Hey guys, a bunch of pals of mine and I are having a dispute on whether or not a KO boat can fly high and still shoot if it was in contact with a flying unit? To me it seems like the boat is forced to also use the disengage rule which mentions not being able to shoot if it was in combat with another flying unit but they seem to think you ignore that part.

Any clarification? 

Edit: I don't play KO, just trying to figure out how to play around them better.

Edited by Belmail

So what are people's experiences using the various Dispossessed units in Barak-Thryng?

I haven't played in ages, but this is what I've been able to gather from other people's shared experiences:

• Longbeards seem solid, but since KO probably run less Dispossessed units, their grumbling doesn't seem as useful.
  • Ironbreakers seem pretty fantastic, with a native 3+ save to camp objectives with, and good damage output
  • Hammerers deal a ton of damage, but not sure they're filling a gap that was needed.
  • Irondrakes are great at shooting, but compete with Thunderers and don't bring the buffs they get in CoS.
  • Gyrocopters are amazing, horde clearing on a budget.
  • Gyrobombers aren't bad, but more situational.
  • Wardens are only helpful if taking a lot of Dispossessed.
  • Runelords are damn good.
  • Cogsmiths are pretty bad.

13 hours ago, Belmail said:

Hey guys, a bunch of pals of mine and I are having a dispute on whether or not a KO boat can fly high and still shoot if it was in contact with a flying unit? To me it seems like the boat is forced to also use the disengage rule which mentions not being able to shoot if it was in combat with another flying unit but they seem to think you ignore that part.

Any clarification? 

Edit: I don't play KO, just trying to figure out how to play around them better.

Not sure if I can answer that, but I saw two possible answers:

No, we can't. We have a modified retreat movement called disengage. The thing is that Fly High says that the skyvessel can use Fly High even if engaged and it can retreat and disengage. What's the point of this specification if we could ignore the retreat and disengage part in a Fly High ability?

Yes, we can. There is a FAQ that talks about reserves and Set-up abilities. It states that a Fly High is not a normal move (so it doesn't need to use a disengage nor a retreat if the skyvessel is enganged):

Spoiler

Q: Some abilities allow you to remove a unit from the battlefield and set it up again, and say that this ‘counts as their move for the movement phase’ (or words to that effect). Do these units count as having made a move for the purposes of any other rules or abilities?
A: No, it simply restricts them from making a move later on.

This FAQ seems to be supported with the last KO FAQs that specifies that an Skyvessel using High Fly doesn't count as retreat move:

Spoiler

Q: If I use the ‘Fly High’ ability with a Skyvessel that is within 3" of an enemy unit, does that count as a retreat move?
A: No.

I don't know if it helps, but our gaming group allows that because we understand that a disengage is not a movement, but an ability that modifies our retreat moves, so the last FAQ prevails over a warscroll description.

Edited by Beliman

Fly High and disengage are two distinct rules. You can use either. Fly High allows you to remove the model from the battlefield and setup somewhere else outside of 9". Alternatively you can disengage. Normal retreat except you can shoot as long as no enemy flying units are within 3" when you disengage. The benefit is you are not limited to going outside 9" of enemy units and outside 1" of terrain. So you can ABSOLULEY fly high and still shoot. Its not a move. Its not a retreat. Its removing the unit from the battlefield and setting it up somewhere else. 

• Like 1

There is nothing in the wording of Fly High which prevents you from doing so if engaged with flying unit.

You cannot disengage when engaged with flying unit. 

So you can fly high from enemy Archeon, and setup 9" away, and shoot him (you fly high, not disengage).

You cannot disengage from Archeon, move 3" away from him and shoot him (disengage doesn't work as Archeon flies).

On 1/14/2021 at 8:19 AM, eciu said:

There is nothing in the wording of Fly High which prevents you from doing so if engaged with flying unit.

You cannot disengage when engaged with flying unit. 

So you can fly high from enemy Archeon, and setup 9" away, and shoot him (you fly high, not disengage).

You cannot disengage from Archeon, move 3" away from him and shoot him (disengage doesn't work as Archeon flies).

I'm with you, but to play devil's advocate, some people can understand that the Fly High description says that there is some type of link between Fly High and Retreat  or Disengage:

Instead of making a normal move with this model, if there are less than X wounds currently allocated to this model, you can say that it will fly high (it can retreat and disengage). If you do so, remove this model from the battlefield and set it up again more than 1" from any terrain features or objectives and more than 9" from any enemy models.

The "No" team seems to understand that this two actions are linked to Fly High (they are not 100% autonomic) because, if that's the case,  why retreat and disengage are exclusively mentioned in the Fly High description instead of all the normal moves (run and move are missing from this description). And Fly High specifies that "you can say that it will Fly High", in other words, it's not an obligatory move, so you can pass and do whatever "normal move" you want.
So, this suggest that we can Fly High (using the retreat or disengage if 3" from the enemy) or we can use any normal move (run, move, retreat and disengage).

I still don't understant why they wrote Fly High description like that, but that's one of the topics we usually discuss in our What's App groups.

Edited by Beliman

I wholeheartedly subscribe to the belief that they wrote this rule so many times, and edited it, and wrote, and changed it, and this team changed it, and edited it ad nauseum to the point that it was a company wide game of telephone that ended up having a remnant of one of the those changed and it simply got overlooked.

Kind of like that Episode of "Parks and Recreation" where the department had to make a concept for a new mural. So every character gave a presentation on what they wanted. And they all had WILDLY different takes. Everyone voted for their mural. So they decided to combine them in a horrible Hodge podge of a mashup which came out looking as terrible as you would imagine.. but they all were so proud of it. 

• Haha 1

Here's an interesting tidbit from this months White Dwarf!
The paragraphs about "the master maker" and the "Duardrazhal" from the Fyreslayers battletome are printed in it.
And there's also a fyreslayers story where "totally not the white dwarf" aka Azkharn sings the following song:

Karaz Ankor krunked,
a khazakendrum zharr,
Bin rikkuz loz grungned,
Angrung kan binazyr,
Kharadron binskarren,
Drengizharr a galaz,
Azka duardrazhal,
KarazAnkor grungnaz.

And here's my sloppy translation attempt:

The Dwarven realm fell to disaster,
in a fiery battle.
???????????
will stay and mine Azyr.
Kharadron in the sky.
Fyreslayers with their gold.
Duardrazhal's massive construction
Making the Dwarven realm.

Just thought this was very worth having a look at if you're a Dwarf fan!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1