AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

17 hours ago, Nick907 said:

Looks like we'll have an endrinrigger with a privateer pistol and skycutter sword?  The khemist looks like he might have an aethermatic saw in his left hand? Awesome!?!

Are you looking at the KO on the far left of the picture as an endrinrigger? He looks like a standard arkanaut to me. The KO on the far right side looks like he's holding a vulcaniser pistol, which would make him a skywarden (though we can't see his melee weapon. A sword would be pretty cool!)

A khemist with a saw though, now that'd be awesome. Here's hoping he's got some sort of melee weapon more intimidating than some heavy instruments!

48 minutes ago, Skyeline said:

Are you looking at the KO on the far left of the picture as an endrinrigger? He looks like a standard arkanaut to me. The KO on the far right side looks like he's holding a vulcaniser pistol, which would make him a skywarden (though we can't see his melee weapon. A sword would be pretty cool!)

A khemist with a saw though, now that'd be awesome. Here's hoping he's got some sort of melee weapon more intimidating than some heavy instruments!

No the one on the far right, with the Endrin backpack, pistol, and sword!

Deciding on a color scheme for my freshly built KO. I really like the studio colors, but like the rules of Mhornar and Urbaz. urbaz looks similar to Nar with less gold and more silver , but still with the purple ? 

I either want a nice blue or purple for the cloths etc and then probably silver armor but I would like to incorporate a slight tint/glaze to it, like a bluish steel almost like the Idoneth. 

Any suggestions ?

Hey guys so I think I'm going to try to go Barak-Urbanz with an Ironclad. With how I'm building my list it would be really easy for me to do an Iron Sky Command. The question I have is that the bonuses from an Iron Sky seem pretty weak and I know it costs 100 points to do it. Does it make sense to pay the 100 points to guarantee I can do my entire army in a single drop or would be better to forgo the Iron Sky Command and apply those 100 points elsewhere? 

5 hours ago, Stevinacan said:

Hey guys so I think I'm going to try to go Barak-Urbanz with an Ironclad. With how I'm building my list it would be really easy for me to do an Iron Sky Command. The question I have is that the bonuses from an Iron Sky seem pretty weak and I know it costs 100 points to do it. Does it make sense to pay the 100 points to guarantee I can do my entire army in a single drop or would be better to forgo the Iron Sky Command and apply those 100 points elsewhere? 

At what points value? I think it definitely makes sense to pay 100 pts at anything over 1k, maybe even at 1k. Even if you don’t like the bonuses - you get an extra artefact, a free command point, and a single drop army, so if you think of each of those costing 33 pts, you’d pay that for each. That way the bonuses are ... just a bonus. The only reason not to I guess is if you have particular unit synergies in mind that you cannot fit in with battalion points, something that can happen with KO, especially if you’re trying to fit in ironclads at lower points levels.

18 hours ago, LegioX217 said:

Deciding on a color scheme for my freshly built KO. I really like the studio colors, but like the rules of Mhornar and Urbaz. urbaz looks similar to Nar with less gold and more silver , but still with the purple ? 

I either want a nice blue or purple for the cloths etc and then probably silver armor but I would like to incorporate a slight tint/glaze to it, like a bluish steel almost like the Idoneth. 

Any suggestions ?

Urbaz is indeed similar to Nar as the purple/pink is maintained while the metallics diverge between the two of them.

I'm not sure how detailed you're wanting to go with your models, so I'll make some suggestions below on how I'd try to tackle the scheme you mentioned:

• Overalls: Stegadon Scale Green Base, Sotek Green layer, Karak Stone highlights
    This is copying the Barak-Zon blue overalls, which should give you dark blue overalls to contrast brighter silver armor. Make those karak Stone highlights really small!

**It's also worth noting here that if you're generally happy with the color of the overalls for Nar that you can copy their Screamer Pink -> Druchii Violet -> Genestealer Purple -> Slaanesh Grey color progression to achieve the same effect.

• Armor (Helmet, Pauldrons, Backpack, Etc.): Leadbelcher Base, Guilliman's Glaze (treat it basically like a thin wash for this), Stormhost Silver highlights
    The guilliman's glaze will give your leadbelcher a blue tint, while edge highlights with stormhost silver will add definition back into the shapes

• Metallics: (Beard, Weapon Ornaments, Backpack Details, etc.): Balthasar Gold Base, Reikland Fleshshade Wash, Fulgurite Copper Highlights
    This will give your model some warm bronze accents and help pick out metallic details instead of everything getting lost in silver

I didn't touch upon the other color choices you'd want to make for KO models since you didn't mention them (I love how packed to the brim with details these duardin are!) but here are the other areas you'll want to keep in mind as you figure out a color scheme:

• Leather Boots and Gloves
  • Straps and Pouches
  • Weapon Handles (these can mirror your other metallics if desired. I personally find them to be great ways to incorporate in other accent colors)
  • Eye Lenses

Hope that helps give you some ideas!

1 hour ago, Skyeline said:

Urbaz is indeed similar to Nar as the purple/pink is maintained while the metallics diverge between the two of them.

I'm not sure how detailed you're wanting to go with your models, so I'll make some suggestions below on how I'd try to tackle the scheme you mentioned:

• Overalls: Stegadon Scale Green Base, Sotek Green layer, Karak Stone highlights
    This is copying the Barak-Zon blue overalls, which should give you dark blue overalls to contrast brighter silver armor. Make those karak Stone highlights really small!

**It's also worth noting here that if you're generally happy with the color of the overalls for Nar that you can copy their Screamer Pink -> Druchii Violet -> Genestealer Purple -> Slaanesh Grey color progression to achieve the same effect.

• Armor (Helmet, Pauldrons, Backpack, Etc.): Leadbelcher Base, Guilliman's Glaze (treat it basically like a thin wash for this), Stormhost Silver highlights
    The guilliman's glaze will give your leadbelcher a blue tint, while edge highlights with stormhost silver will add definition back into the shapes

• Metallics: (Beard, Weapon Ornaments, Backpack Details, etc.): Balthasar Gold Base, Reikland Fleshshade Wash, Fulgurite Copper Highlights
    This will give your model some warm bronze accents and help pick out metallic details instead of everything getting lost in silver

I didn't touch upon the other color choices you'd want to make for KO models since you didn't mention them (I love how packed to the brim with details these duardin are!) but here are the other areas you'll want to keep in mind as you figure out a color scheme:

• Leather Boots and Gloves
  • Straps and Pouches
  • Weapon Handles (these can mirror your other metallics if desired. I personally find them to be great ways to incorporate in other accent colors)
  • Eye Lenses

Hope that helps give you some ideas!

Hey thanks a lot for the response!

it sounds I like a want the cloth color of Nar with the gold accents of Urbaz, and some guillimans blue for the nar silvers. I think I will go that, it pops more to my eye than the blue does. 

How frowned upon is it to use sky port rules with mismatched color schemes ? 

Also, so do you think if I took the Nar scheme but added the gold to some of the silver, plus the blue tint it would look good, or would the extra detail colors not be correct ? I will probably use the Duncan guide and/or the battletome guide with Nar as the base and then Urbaz for the gold and just add the blue tint. 

33 minutes ago, LegioX217 said:

Hey thanks a lot for the response!

it sounds I like a want the cloth color of Nar with the gold accents of Urbaz, and some guillimans blue for the nar silvers. I think I will go that, it pops more to my eye than the blue does. 

How frowned upon is it to use sky port rules with mismatched color schemes ? 

Also, so do you think if I took the Nar scheme but added the gold to some of the silver, plus the blue tint it would look good, or would the extra detail colors not be correct ? I will probably use the Duncan guide and/or the battletome guide with Nar as the base and then Urbaz for the gold and just add the blue tint. 

In the vast majority of cases I don't think anyone will care if you use sky port rules with mismatched color schemes. If you're going to be gunning for the tournament scene you might catch some flak, but I'd imagine it's probably something you just clear with the TO first before you even get there.  

As for your direction with the colors, It sounds like it'd work to me! Give it a whirl and see if you're happy with it. You can always make adjustments if you find that it's not quite right.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:46 AM, kenshin620 said:

Heres the art of their warband. Man I swear it looks like they're suppose to crash into a game of 40k Kill Team!

Nightvault-Kharadron-Overlord-bros-1.jpg

Missed opportunity to make some helmet-less face sculpts or at least unique helmet sculpts. I can generally field all these models from my existing collection. No female sculpt, no pet or dog model. I should at least hope that the Aether-khemist looks unique enough to differentiate him the current version.

Not going to lie, this feels like a bit of a letdown.

8 hours ago, Badlander86 said:

Missed opportunity to make some helmet-less face sculpts or at least unique helmet sculpts. I can generally field all these models from my existing collection. No female sculpt, no pet or dog model. I should at least hope that the Aether-khemist looks unique enough to differentiate him the current version.

How are they going to make work with AOS rules?  The khemist is the hero I suppose?  Is the skyrigger (movement 12) really gonna be in the same unit as some arch company me  (movement 4)?

19 hours ago, Skyeline said:

In the vast majority of cases I don't think anyone will care if you use sky port rules with mismatched color schemes. If you're going to be gunning for the tournament scene you might catch some flak, but I'd imagine it's probably something you just clear with the TO first before you even get there.  

As for your direction with the colors, It sounds like it'd work to me! Give it a whirl and see if you're happy with it. You can always make adjustments if you find that it's not quite right.

Well the blue guillimans didn’t come out too great, or at least that it doesn’t match with the purple or possibly the khaki colors, I think the straps etc would need to be a different color. 

I googled Barak mhornar color scheme and I did like the bright metallic blue armor but then it seems to make any of the rest of the model pop out, the one I saw just had dark grey clothing. Maybe I’ll keep it simple though, these little fellas are fun enough to paint and I don’t want to get too complicated for when I get to the ships! 

I noticed Duncan uses nuln oil over everything where as the book uses blue wash and Reikland wash respectively. I guess it’s just a time thing 

20 hours ago, Badlander86 said:

Here is the thing.... they dont really care what you think, its not for you.  Honestly, we havnt even seen the models yet and already moaners are polluting TGA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey guys, I'm going to a relatively large GT (for au anyway) of 74 people, and I'm taking my KO. I'll let you know what happens, bit for now here's the list I'm using!

Barak Zilfin + there's no trading with some people

Leaders

Khemist, General - stickler for the code-these are just guidelines

Khemist, aethershock Earbuster

Knight Azyros, Ally

Units

40 Arkanauts W/ 12x light skyhook

10 Arkanauts W/ 3x volley guns

10 Arkanauts W/ 3x volley guns

20 thunderers W/ 20x rifles

Warmachines

Ironclad w/ aetherspheric endrins, volley cannon

1960p

4 hours ago, stato said:

Here is the thing.... they dont really care what you think, its not for you.  Honestly, we havnt even seen the models yet and already moaners are polluting TGA.

Spot on dude well said 

seeing the art work for this warband got me hyped to play and paint my ko 

4 hours ago, stato said:

Truth. I'm excited to buy new models and play a new game with my faction. Since my other army, Wanderers, aren't an option for Underworlds I was extra excited by this announcement. Every single one of those complaints could be remedied with a little effort and creativity. 

Ohoy. If I want to jump aboard and place my heart and soul in this army. What should I buy? Long have I avoided this army because of the negativity around KO. I have bought many armies since the KO release but have not "stuck" with any of them. I love the look and the lore of the Kharadron overlords and maybe thats the thing I'm really looking for. I would love a fun build that also is competitive. But also something that I can use straight out of the boxes, I don't want to hunt loads of extra bits for extra cheese. Sorry for the wall of text. Would be great if I could get some advice. Thank you :)

7 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Ohoy. If I want to jump aboard and place my heart and soul in this army. What should I buy? Long have I avoided this army because of the negativity around KO. I have bought many armies since the KO release but have not "stuck" with any of them. I love the look and the lore of the Kharadron overlords and maybe thats the thing I'm really looking for. I would love a fun build that also is competitive. But also something that I can use straight out of the boxes, I don't want to hunt loads of extra bits for extra cheese. Sorry for the wall of text. Would be great if I could get some advice. Thank you :)

What specifically do you like best? You can build several different types of list, all fun and reasonably competitive if not top tier. You can still build a very mobile, once-and-now-almost alpha strike list with zilfin (I run 2 ironclads), or you can build a gun line with lots of thunderers and Arkonaut hordes with khemist buffs, or you can build a close combat list with lots of endrinriggers, a frigate or two to get them there, and Arkonauts with skyhooks (also with khemist buffs). But if you want semi-competitive lists with KO I think you have to pick a theme and really exploit it to the best of your ability!

50 minutes ago, Baron Wastelands said:

What specifically do you like best? You can build several different types of list, all fun and reasonably competitive if not top tier. You can still build a very mobile, once-and-now-almost alpha strike list with zilfin (I run 2 ironclads), or you can build a gun line with lots of thunderers and Arkonaut hordes with khemist buffs, or you can build a close combat list with lots of endrinriggers, a frigate or two to get them there, and Arkonauts with skyhooks (also with khemist buffs). But if you want semi-competitive lists with KO I think you have to pick a theme and really exploit it to the best of your ability!

What in your zilfin ironclad list I'm trying to come up with a duel clad list myself but can't settle on a list I like 

1 hour ago, Oldmanlee said:

What in your zilfin ironclad list I'm trying to come up with a duel clad list myself but can't settle on a list I like 

It varies, but the core is 2xironclad, 3x10 arkanauts, 6 x endrinriggers, and 1xkhemist. 

At 2k, that leaves me 400 points to play with. (And I’ve tried various from there trying to settle!). There’s 2 set ups I think I quite like - one is another 6xendrinriggers and another khemist, the other is 10 thunderers, an endrinmaster and a navigator.

I have also tried adding an admiral in place of 3 of the endrinriggers (in both lists), and while it gives a bit more hero-punch, I’m not convinced of the usefulness of 3 riggers on their own. I like all of the heroes from an aesthetic point of view, so probably try to take too many! 

The big advantage is that you can get everything in two ships, and only one starts on the board (and you can even redeploy that after set up if you take fleetmaster as your command trait!). One of the ironclads deep strikes with endrins, usually with 20 arkanauts, balloons and heroes, the other is dropped in deployment with anything left in it, moves up fast with the free movement of TAABIYLFI, dropping arkanauts on an objective if possible on the way, and thunderers at a useful range if present. Then it becomes a second mobile wall with the odd cannon. (I have also put the thunderers in the deep strike ironclad, and swapped out arkanauts so that there are 2 units to drop off in the other ship - which is fun if the thunderers have the shorter range guns in. I am probably not going for optimal load out there, as I have built mine with a mix for flexibility and the hope of a lucky chain of buffs).