AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

48 minutes ago, Beliman said:

IMO, it should be possible to kill your models.
From Core Rules... that weren't written with the KO in mind btw (it seems that we are looking for an exploit here): "Sometimes there will not be enough room to set up all of the models from a unit. When this is the case, any models that cannot be set up are considered to have been slain".

Om second thought. I i’m playing devils advocate. There is place. Just not in the ship. Nobody’s forcing you to set up inside the ship. 
I could see both sides. And honestly I’d go with you can’t for rules as intended. 

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Om second thought. I i’m playing devils advocate. There is place. Just not in the ship. Nobody’s forcing you to set up inside the ship. 
I could see both sides. And honestly I’d go with you can’t for rules as intended. 

Not sure if that's allowed because Garrisoning a building/ship means to remove the unit from the battlefield and assume that they are "in" the terrain or ship. If I'm 99% sure that a unit means all the models that are in that unit.

4 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Not sure if that's allowed because Garrisoning a building/ship means to remove the unit from the battlefield and assume that they are "in" the terrain or ship. If I'm 99% sure that a unit means all the models that are in that unit.

I don’t mean one outside and the rest in. I mean you can set up the whole unit outside of the ship. So the rule you quoted doesn’t apply.
There is room to set up the unit just not inside the ship. So the prerequisite for removing one model from the unit, no room to set up, is not met. 
I as a player choose to set up in ship, i’m not forced. So if the ship is already to full I just can’t set up that unit into garrison. 

(just to be clear I can see the other argument as well. But when I can see both sides I like to go with what seems to be intended. Unless playing mhornar of course ;) )

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

Anyone know any good battle report videos of KO using the new book? I really want to see our army in action. I'm still working on the models I need for my new list.

There’s a couple with the new book on Diensional Cascade but only the one vs bone reapers is really worth watching. They were all really early in the new books life so the guy playing KO was still learning new rules.

Aside from that I’ve not seen others. Ben Smiths game against Fyreslayers was sort of covered on t sports network (what used to be honest war gamers think) at Sheffield slaughter. But their new filming format sees you jump between 3 games being played at once so you don’t really see anything of note at all. Hopefully they abandon that format because it’s pretty pointless. Going from set up, coming back during first players second turn. Then back again in round 3 or whatever. It all felt like a mess.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

There is room to set up the unit just not inside the ship. So the prerequisite for removing one model from the unit, no room to set up, is not met. 
I as a player choose to set up in ship, i’m not forced. So if the ship is already to full I just can’t set up that unit into garrison. 

You are not forced to put your units in the garrison. You chose to put them.
But you are correct, if the Garrison has 15 slots, then a unit of 15 models can be put in. But if you have 14 slots (for whatever reason), then you can't (Source: Flying Trasnport rule).

So doesn't matter, you can't kill your units using the slots in the our ships.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beliman said:

You are not forced to put your units in the garrison. You chose to put them.
But you are correct, if the Garrison has 15 slots, then a unit of 15 models can be put in. But if you have 14 slots (for whatever reason), then you can't (Source: Flying Trasnport rule).

So doesn't matter, you can't kill your units using the slots in the our ships.

What you’ve done is, stated the thing I couldn't express clearly in an understandable manner 😅

yeah this is exactly what I meant. 

• Haha 1

Ok, so I think we’ve gotten to the bottom of that one, thanks chaps. So the follow-up question is (I know this will probably depend on the TO?), if I pay for a unit of 10 ArCo but decide I need/want a hero in a ship for 3 Places of Power or similar, can I decide there at the table that it’s actually an under-strength unit and put 9 in instead (foregoing Gold)?

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Ok, so I think we’ve gotten to the bottom of that one, thanks chaps. So the follow-up question is (I know this will probably depend on the TO?), if I pay for a unit of 10 ArCo but decide I need/want a hero in a ship for 3 Places of Power or similar, can I decide there at the table that it’s actually an under-strength unit and put 9 in instead (foregoing Gold)?

Id say no. If it’s on the list absolutly  but not at the table. 

4 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I'm not a tournament dude, but I think that you can't change lists between games.

Devils advocate though, if you always pay for a full strength unit, how would you ever make it clear to a TO for example that the unit is under strength when submitting lists?

EDIT: I am aware that I need to give it up by the way, it would be great if we could though. 

Edited by 5kaven5lave

2 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Anyone know any good battle report videos of KO using the new book? I really want to see our army in action. I'm still working on the models I need for my new list.

The list mentioned on the previous page was actually on stream round 4 this weekend. It got wrecked pretty hard though by double turn pure eels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Devils advocate though, if you always pay for a full strength unit, how would you ever make it clear to a TO for example that the unit is under strength when submitting lists?

Write a 9 instead of a 10? ;) (warscroll builder and all those are automated systems, not faultless rules guides. So just amend the document before you sent it)

58 minutes ago, Thostos said:

Question..with the Iron Sky Assault battalion..Can a unit of Arkanauts load into a Frigate at the beginning of the movement phase,then disembark after the Frigate does a fly high move?

The frigate flies high in place of a normal movement, so my understanding is that the answer is yes. What’s more, you can deploy closer than 9” when doing so (though the frigate can’t, units leaving a garrison can deploy anywhere more than 3” from enemies and within 6” of the boat) and then roll 3d6 for charge.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

Also at @5kaven5lave

But can you deliberately kill a model from you unit? 🧐

not the best argument: but the frigate doesn’t force you to max 10 models. So in the example question. You could take the frigate. Put in a hero. And then you still have the room for the last one.

Big difference to units being out of coherency. 

Well, you could intentionally break cohesion in the movement phase to kill 1 arkanaut...

3 hours ago, Thostos said:

Question..with the Iron Sky Assault battalion..Can a unit of Arkanauts load into a Frigate at the beginning of the movement phase,then disembark after the Frigate does a fly high move?

I am pretty sure that's a no, although I would have to look closer. It says that you can fly high and disembark during a normal move, but I don't think you can also embark in the same turn. You could instead, going with the Iron Sky Attack battalion, just deploy the ArkCo inside the frigate, avoiding the need for an embark action, allowing you to use charge and disembark to get right in the enemies faces, but it would be an opportunity one-off attack, and you can't disembark your ArkCo because I believe they can only do it once.Good for an alpha strike, but not too much else.

Also in terms of having a hero and an ArkCo in a frigate, isn't it a max of 15, with fly high/disengage being 11? And if this is the case just take 10 ArkCo and your hero, and you can still get the benefit of having the fly high with both, and not having to deal with weird under strength unit rules.

Edited by Sttufe

9 hours ago, Thostos said:

8 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

The frigate flies high in place of a normal movement, so my understanding is that the answer is yes. What’s more, you can deploy closer than 9” when doing so (though the frigate can’t, units leaving a garrison can deploy anywhere more than 3” from enemies and within 6” of the boat) and then roll 3d6 for charge.

Oops, I didn’t read your question properly. I meant that yes they can disembark after a fly high, as well as after a normal move. But since garrisoning models counts as a normal move for them, and “ungarrisoning” models counts as a normal move as well, I don’t think you can get in and out of a ship in the same turn, even with iron sky assault.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

This doesn't work. You can't disembark after moving or flying high normally. The Iron Sky Attack Squadron removes the restriction on disembarking after moving but not flying high.

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

Where is that rule from? 

You can get a unit in the increments shown in the points table. But you can then take less models. But remember if you don’t take 10, you don’t meet the one in ten requirement for the special weapons. (I’ll source the rules for this part later. Can’t find it right now. But I’m pretty sure that’s how the special weapons works)   

I maaay be thinking of either the previous edition of AOS or 40k....🤐

7 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

Oops, I didn’t read your question properly. I meant that yes they can disembark after a fly high, as well as after a normal move. But since garrisoning models counts as a normal move for them, and “ungarrisoning” models counts as a normal move as well, I don’t think you can get in and out of a ship in the same turn, even with iron sky assault.

Yeah,that makes sense...it would be allowing them to make "normal moves" twice in one turn.
 The main advantage of this ability though,,is to port near an objective and be able to actually drop models into the cap range,so still very good I think.