Jump to content

AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion


Chris Tomlin
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Dew said:

I've yet to see any recent chat about list building for a small 1000point KO force.

I ordered the new box set as a side project to explore new paint schemes and styles and to play around with as well. I'm curious what the recommendations are to add to it for a nice 1000 point list. I'm looking at possibly a balloon boys/gunhauler list?

The new box is

220 (edrinmaster with balloon)

150 (gunhauler)

200 (6 Skywardens/Edrinriggers)

=570 points

An option would be to get the SC

150 (Gunhauler)

120 (Thunderers)

100 (Edrinriggers/Skywardens)

for 340 points, giving you 940 points (the second edrinmaster probably isn't worth it). These last points could be a Command Point, or allied Gyrocopter to tie into the roots of the Kharadron.

The Thunderers can board one of the ships if you give the ship the relevant Edrinwork

Alternatively, try

- Frigate (250)

- Arkanauts (90)

Then you only have 90 points to work with for the last pick, which is a bit sparse, but an Aether Khemist couldn't hurt. Undersize the Arkanauts by 1 to put him in the frigate.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, stus67 said:

Honorable mention is the Mesmerizing Mirror and the Everblaze Comet. The mirror is great for killing low wound characters, and the comet is the comet.

I'm absolutely going to test Khemist/Bottle/WLV while allying in a Knight-Incantor and Comet.  Vortex AND Comet cast into opponent's deployment on turn 1?  Yes, please.

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kramer said:
1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm hesitating: brokk or the new endrig withe suit? those are 2 nice guys...

Why not both ;) 

 

The question is not both. In fact I have one Endrig+suit, and I'd like to add a second one....or brokk.

I didn't find any comparison of both of them as they are similar in points, both balloon guys and both good shooters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

What would people think is the best equipment for the Skywardens? Keep them melee or go for shooting powers?

There's more synergy in keeping them melee and having the riggers go ranged.

Is there a way to make the Skywardens able to retreat and charge in the same turn? Cos that would be incredible!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

The question is not both. In fact I have one Endrig+suit, and I'd like to add a second one....or brokk.

I didn't find any comparison of both of them as they are similar in points, both balloon guys and both good shooters.

Okay for what it’s worth. I usually played brokk before the book and he hasn’t changed (much) I think so perhaps it helps. 
his shooting is quite good. Outshot the old frigates even. As is his combat damage. So for me he was super useful either to go with endrinriggers or go off by himself to hero and monster hunt. 
But now with his in built skyport keyword he isn’t as easily buffed as before. But still I would guess more useful as a hunter character then a second endrinmaster with balloon.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

@Kubrick54 I'm pretty sure it's the second. Nowhere does it say you have to bring a admiral. Only that if your general is an Arkanaut Admiral then X happens. So if your Khemist is the general that part doesn't apply, so I don't see why normal rules of selecting a command trait shouldn't apply. 
(unless there is some extra wording in the text i'm not seeing in the previews)

818688271_Screenshot2020-01-08at17_31_56.png.b3b00601b18bbcb47b04c8217344bfae.png

I meant yes to the second question! You don't have to have an Admiral. If you do AND he is your general, you have to take that trait.  Otherwise, you can do as you please.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, plavski said:

There's more synergy in keeping them melee and having the riggers go ranged.

Is there a way to make the Skywardens able to retreat and charge in the same turn? Cos that would be incredible!

I think it is nice to consider at least 1 skyhook for wardens (for +1 charge)  and grapnel launcher (for disabling retreat) in bigger units. It works like musicians and banners in other armies and gives you a punch in shooting phase (they pistols have short range).

You can take there's no trading with some people footnote. It allows you to retreat and charge once per game. It's not perfect, but still solid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it only me, or barak mhornar is bad? It used to be my favorite skyport, but bravery debuff isn't that good, there's no direct buff for your guys, running and shooting while still good can be easily replaced by fly high, and once awesome opportunistic privateers is now removed by ability which is pretty pointless. Artefact is interesting, but not worth taking whole port. Can you guys find any utility for barak mhornar? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

You can take there's no trading with some people footnote. It allows you to retreat and charge once per game. It's not perfect, but still solid

That’s very solid. Didn’t consider them with skywardens. But that lets you get far behind lines. Won me plenty of games with Skaven and that’s without fly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Borsuk said:

Is it only me, or barak mhornar is bad? It used to be my favorite skyport, but bravery debuff isn't that good, there's no direct buff for your guys, running and shooting while still good can be easily replaced by fly high, and once awesome opportunistic privateers is now removed by ability which is pretty pointless. Artefact is interesting, but not worth taking whole port. Can you guys find any utility for barak mhornar? 

I think most of it is fine - it's the only way we get to play in the activation wars. But the command trait is weak as hell. I'm hoping it'll be errata'd into something useful cos the differences between that and just flying high are minimal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, plavski said:

I think most of it is fine - it's the only way we get to play in the activation wars. But the command trait is weak as hell. I'm hoping it'll be errata'd into something useful cos the differences between that and just flying high are minimal.

No kidding, opportunistic privateers are technically old zilfin artefact, but back in the day it was very good. It would make more sense if it allowed to disembark and charge units or something. 

I forgot about the footnote, it's nice indeed, but still not compensate for overall average skyport. 

I also miss those are just guidelines. It matched mhornar fluff so well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crkhobbit said:

I'm absolutely going to test Khemist/Bottle/WLV while allying in a Knight-Incantor and Comet.  Vortex AND Comet cast into opponent's deployment on turn 1?  Yes, please.

How do you plan on getting vortex into the opponent's deployment on  turn 1? Using Barak Mhornar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Borsuk said:

Well this is some interesting idea how to use mhornar. It could work for some very nasty alfa strike. 

at first glance my idea for Mhornar was to take a max out Ironclad (with Last Word) and just put somewhere close to the enemy and say come at me bro.

If its still around turn two, then move the garrison out to claim an objective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, AlmGandix3 said:

With a magnetized head (brokk and regular endrinmaster) you can play him as either. 

lol, problem: I have the endrin with suits (3 of them!) but I don't have brokk...

[edit] I've just checked, they are completly different miniatures.

And my problem is a CHOICE problem, not a miniature one. So, what are the up&downsides of both warscrolls? (I'm not expert enough to see the grand scheme of it hahahha)

Edited by GeneralZero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

lol, problem: I have the endrin with suits (3 of them!) but I don't have brokk...

[edit] I've just checked, they are completly different miniatures.

And my problem is a CHOICE problem, not a miniature one. So, what are the up&downsides of both warscrolls? (I'm not expert enough to see the grand scheme of it hahahha)

They are very similar. Brokk is slightly more melee oriented with +1 more saw attack and some mortal wounds on charge. He also have different command ability, which unfortunately only works for Barak nar. I think I would go with Endrinmaster, because it can cover more roles, unlock balloons for battle line and is slightly cheaper. 

Of course it always depends on your strategy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stus67 said:

Was looking through all of the faction specific endless spells and I think that if you really want that spell in a bottle then the Taurus would be one of the best spells to use, along with the WLV. Making enemy units fight last will give our balloon boys more of a chance to get their damage in melee if you run smaller 3/6 man units.

WLV is just an amazing board control spell.

Honorable mention is the Mesmerizing Mirror and the Everblaze Comet. The mirror is great for killing low wound characters, and the comet is the comet.

My top choices are the Geminids for a long range -1 hit/-1 attack debuff, the Realmscourge Rupture to halve enemy movement with no chance of backfire, and the Aethervoid Pendulum for a shotgun blast of D6 mortal wounds across the enemy army. Being able to drop these at the bottom of a round is great insurance for when you don't get a double turn.

Wildfire Taurus could be really good if you use a lot of Skywardens, but it doesn't do much if you focus on shooting units.

WLV seems good because it activates in every movement phase, but I think the Comet is too many points for a stationary spell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...