AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

24 minutes ago, Thostos said:

Looking at the BRB rules on Garrisons,it states that a unit can start the game inside a garrison as long as the garrison is in friendly territory.Now of course there are cities that would allow a boat to enter the game in enemy or neutral territory,but since the rule that allows that is part of a subfaction within a specific army then it overrides the BRB and would be fine.

That would be my take on it.

But you still have to put unit after unit into the boat/garrison if not stated otherwise. 

Do you get my point? Just because you can start the game garrisoned doesnt mean that you put the units into the boat when dropping it during deployment. It needs an additional sentence for that.

Edited by Phasteon
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

What do the shooting profiles of the balloon boys look like? I was wondering how viable small units hanging around boats would be. I like the idea of a gunhauler deepstriking onto the back lines with some would be.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think their shooting profiles really changed. 

I think their current output is fine for a 100 point screen / obj grabber anyway when you give them the drill cannon and volley gun

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think their shooting profiles really changed. 

I think their current output is fine for a 100 point screen / obj grabber anyway when you give them the drill cannon and volley gun

Wardens got an additional attack on their pistols. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

But you still have to put unit after unit into the boat/garrison if not stated otherwise. 

Do you get my point? Just because you can start the game garrisoned doesnt mean that you put the units into the boat when dropping it during deployment. It needs an additional sentence for that.

You're overthinking it.

You deploy the boat into your territory. Then you can deploy models inside the boat, as it is in your territory and has the Garrison rule, which allows models to start the game in a garrison provided the garrison is in friendly territory and the models could otherwise be deployed wholly withing 6" of the model with the garrison rule.

What I want to know if is there a way to make an Iron Sky Squadron work at 1000pts. Two frigates and two arkanaut companies and the battalion tax is 800pts, leaving you with 200 remaining points.

A navigator might be good, or two Endrinmasters to repair when embarked (even though this gets in the way of being able to fly sky high).

Maybe a navigator and Endrinmaster?

25 minutes ago, Zinnar said:

You're overthinking it.

You deploy the boat into your territory. Then you can deploy models inside the boat, as it is in your territory and has the Garrison rule, which allows models to start the game in a garrison provided the garrison is in friendly territory and the models could otherwise be deployed wholly withing 6" of the model with the garrison rule.

I think the point is that whereas before a ship with a unit (or more) inside counted as 1 drop, it now counts as 2 (or more) drops meaning your number of drops has gone up significantly, therefore reducing your chances of deciding who takes first turn.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Zinnar said:

You're overthinking it.

You dont get the point -.-

Yes you CAN start inside a ship, but unlike before you CANT put all units at once into the ship when you deploy it, so you need battalions to reduce the number of drops. 

At least as far as I read the new „transport“ rule of the ships. 

• Like 1

@Phasteon & @Zinnar 😂

this whole conversation I’ve been thinking ooooh now they”ll understand eachother, but you managed to brilliantly missing eachother 😂 

although I’m sure it’s going to make things more confusing I think the question is:

Can you set up a ship and it’s garrison as one ‘drop’  in the set up phase.  

and it seems to be written in such a way it’s ship as one drop, the unit as the second. Making us quite high drop because you won’t be able to hide a lot of units in our battalions. 

1 minute ago, Eevika said:

Just did the math and a frigate with 10 Thunderers in it can deal 17 wounds to a 4+ save on avarage if you use gold to reroll 1s to hit in the shooting phase. Thats a keeper of the board in one shooting phase.

You can reroll all tohit rolls with aethergold. You use Thunderers with rifles only?

1 minute ago, cofaxest said:

You can reroll all tohit rolls with aethergold. You use Thunderers with rifles only?

Damn I though it was only ones. With reroll all its 21 damage to a 4+. And yeah i calculated for rifles only becouse that seems like the best loadout if you keep them in the boat. Used the Shrapnel weapon for the boat

• Like 2

Hmmm I see your point now about deployment. That is a bit annoying having to set it up in separate steps.

Now I'm wondering how this works with something like the Iron Sky Squadron- it's a battalion so you can deploy them all at once... but if you have to deploy in stages.... is it one or three drops?

18 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Damn I though it was only ones. With reroll all its 21 damage to a 4+. And yeah i calculated for rifles only becouse that seems like the best loadout if you keep them in the boat. Used the Shrapnel weapon for the boat

I can tell you even more. You can use aethergold on general and use reroll 1s tohit command ability and then use aether gold on thunderers to reroll all towound rolls. 

As for the loadout I think that 5-10 man squads are better with rifles but 15-20 would be more devastating with full weapon profile (but I believe that you should not take more then one mortar)

So you can take 2 frigates (500 pts) 2 squads of 10 thunderers (480 pts) new hero (220) navigator (100) and 12 riggers/wardens (I would suggest riggers with 4 drills or wardens with 4 grapnels/drills, volleyguns are optional in both cases). And play as Zilfin or Barak-Nar.

For 1 cp and almost all of your aethergold you can do a lot of damage.

Edited by cofaxest

6 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

I can tell you even more. You can use aethergold on general and use reroll 1s tohit command ability and then use aether gold on thunderers to reroll all towound rolls. 

As for the loadout I think that 5-10 man squads are better with rifles but 15-20 would be more devastating with full weapon profile (but I believe that you should not take more then one mortar)

except you cant, just 1 Aethergold spent per phase. 

19 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Just did the math and a frigate with 10 Thunderers in it can deal 17 wounds to a 4+ save on avarage if you use gold to reroll 1s to hit in the shooting phase. Thats a keeper of the board in one shooting phas

17 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Shouldn’t you go for bloodthirsty? Pretty sure that’s better on a 3+ 4+ gun. (Unless that’s changed of course) 

Plus rerolls 1 to hit command ability if you are feeling fancy like @cofaxest has written as I realise while posting 😂

E17377CF-C196-46B0-BD19-620E3B2AEBBC.png.480a3ac8046616280e8daee8362669f9.png

4 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

itEdit never mind, missed double aethergold in the post. 
* still can do command ability for reroll ones to hit, and aethergold for reroll all failed wounds on big unit of thunderers though . 😁

Edited by Kramer

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Shouldn’t you go for bloodthirsty? Pretty sure that’s better on a 3+ 4+ gun. (Unless that’s changed of course) 

Plus rerolls 1 to hit command ability if you are feeling fancy like @cofaxest has written as I realise while posting 😂

E17377CF-C196-46B0-BD19-620E3B2AEBBC.png.480a3ac8046616280e8daee8362669f9.png

Not directed at you, but still Important to note, there are three additonal Triumphs in the matched play section of the current Generals Handbook (1. Use a CA for free, 2. Re-roll charge or run rolls, 3. Re-roll save rolls)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Just did the math and a frigate with 10 Thunderers in it can deal 17 wounds to a 4+ save on avarage if you use gold to reroll 1s to hit in the shooting phase. Thats a keeper of the board in one shooting phase.

And it cost 130p more than him.

• LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Ah.. yes. I totally forget( Yea only 1 unit per phase. But still you can do this with cp instead of aethergold. And if position your troops correctly you can finish the job on turn two.