AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

We can look at Drekki Flynt Warscroll!!
I'm happy about him, not an autotake but it seems really fun to play:

He is from Barak-Mhornar (I didn't listean/read his previous adventures, but his colors already hinted in that), can't take artifacts if it's in a Garrison, no Admiral keyword and his Frigatte buffs seems to be a bit meh. But I love him!!

I hope that he lasts a bit more than Dagnai!!

Q3k1CwxzAiZNJAyt.pdf

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

We can look at Drekki Flynt Warscroll!!

Quite cool and fluffy, more on fun side than competitive, but still can be quite powerful in some situations. IMO good warscroll  design, there is some jank tough like Frigate can already reroll runs.

Edited by Boar

After a few hours looking at Drekkis warscroll, it seems to be a lot of flavour but I think it gonna be hard to use him in competitive games/ tournaments. He has a bit more dmg than a base Admiral, but he can't use any trait or artifact, can't be customized to do an specific job (buff or dmg dealer) and doesn't have the bodyguard ability.

Another thing to take in mind is that he has close to the same melee profile of an admiral, but with one less melee dmg (2vs3), doesn't have any ammunition nor re-rolls vs Monsters/Heroes and can't reach that funny assassin-build.

Instead, he has mw vs monsters and an ability to "remove" artifacts on a roll of 3+, so it's a bit more techy than an Admiral, but with less buffs, less (max) dmg and a bonus vs Monsters with artifacts.

Drekki_Admiral.jpg.38b30ce6e3bdc17487469bd24069f5a9.jpg

He doesn't have the Arkanaut Admiral keyword, but it's fine because he is a Captain in the Lore. That reminds me that we don't have an Arkanaut Captain model yet.

There are some other bonus for his own frigatte Aelsling, but it has close to no impact in the game that we can ignore them.

Btw, I'm totally fine with his warscroll, I like this kind of stuff and I think that I'm going to customize my 4th frigatte to look like the Aelsling!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How does something like this look?

- Army Faction: Kharadron Overlords

LEADERS

Aetheric Navigator (85)

- Artefacts of Power: Arcane Tome

- Bonding: Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur

Aether-Khemist (90)

- General

- Command Traits: Collector

- Artefacts of Power: Spell in a Bottle

BATTLELINE

Arkanaut Company (90)

- Light Skyhook and Gun Butt

- Skypike

- Aethermatic Volley Gun and Gun Butt

Arkanaut Company (90)

- Skypike

- Light Skyhook and Gun Butt

- Volley Pistol

Arkanaut Company (180)

- 2 x Light Skyhook and Gun Butt

- 2 x Skypike

BEHEMOTH

Arkanaut Ironclad (490)

- Great Volley Cannon

Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur (400)

Arkanaut Ironclad (490)

- Great Volley Cannon

- Great Endrinworks: Ebullient Buoyancy Aid

ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS

1 x Purple Sun of Shyish (70)

TOTAL POINTS: 1985/2000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

@Frowny

Our main problem at this moment is not having enough bodies, but we are doing fine and some BT and Strategies are dificult enough that even some "high tier" armies have problems vs our gameplay.

But I've seen some doubleClad lists doing really well. Maybe an Admiral? It's so versatile and buffs our main BigHit turn. I really like his Ammunition system (I hope to see that expanded in a future battletome).

Edited by Beliman

From my pov, there are a lot of good units, but there isn't an "autowin" one.

Purple Sun and Admiral can turn anything with rend 1 to rend 3, that will help a lot our main units. Our AoA+Triumphs means that we are going to decide who will have +1/+1hit/wound and we still have some rerolls (khemists, Bjorgen, Zilfin, etc...).

• Arkanauts are still good point for point, one of our best units indeed,  but the Veteran keyword is a bit annoying (even in blobs of 20).
  • Thunderers are reliable in doing dmg full buffed, but my main experience is that they are really safe to use and can still contribute in late turns.
  • Balloon boyz are a bit tricky to use but you see some of them in tournament lists. Skywardens can still be good in taking objectives, zoning, as a gun platform (cheap dmg) or jsut being annoying (chaff or looking to block charges).
  • Gunhaulers are 50/50, sometimes they are our MVP of the match, sometimes are just a wounds jumping around. 

Everything about our book seems to be focused in one surgical strike at time (triumphs, ammunition, fly high, once per battle artifacts, etc...), I suppose that's why we don't have one "top-tier" unit compared to other armies.

1 hour ago, CentralKarma said:

During deployment, units can be deployed into boats, but it still counts as multiple drops, unless using the one drop core battalion? 

Yes. Only batallions with one-drop deployment abilities are the ones that can set-up more than one unit at the time.

There are a few exception like units that don't set-up in the begining of the game (not even "outside" the table, like Hidden-weapon teams), but sadly, we don't have any unit with that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a general rule, when you're not tooling a list specifically, do you prefer drill launchers or sky cannons on Gunhaulers?

I ask because I have committed to a list with 3 gunhaulers in it for a local league we're doing, and I went for drills on all of them because the allure of 3mws on a 5+ at 36" range was too tempting, but now having played my first league game I'm not so sure. I'm in two minds because the sky cannon is pretty reliant on getting a good d6 roll (either for damage or number of attacks), and the extra rend for the drill seems like a mo brainer, but then only being able to do a max of 3 damage feels bad compared to the possible 12 if everything goes well on the cannon.

Depends on rest of list honestly, if rest does not have enough raw damage maybe switch some to cannons. Drills are kinda like sniper rifles in that they can augment rest of combat formation but need that raw damage and bodies to function as part of whole.

Tough if high saves are common (on high value targets) where you play you might as well stay on all drills

They server different roles, and which is better is going to depend on what you need them for.  What do I mean?

Lets take 2 easy examples.  In example 1, you are facing down Kragnos.  In example 2, you are facing down a block of 60 zombies.  Which weapon do you want against which opponent.  Pretty obvious, right?  (In case it isn't, or someone less familiar with KO reads this, you want the drill cannons for Kragnos and the sky cannons against the zombies).

So what do you need your gunhaulers for?  This depends heavily on the rest of your list, and what you expect to face.  If you don't have a bunch of rend available from other sources, then the drill launcher looks better.  However, if you are stacking up on other rend sources, and bringing an admiral, some thunderers, and the purple sun, then maybe you just need more damage and the sky cannon is looking better.  Similarly, if everyone else in your league is playing low armor but high body count units, then the sky cannon looks a lot better, while if everyone else is stacking armor to the moon, then the drill cannon is looking better.

Personally, I built my 2 gunhaulers with 1 sky cannon and 1 drill launcher, but I rarely run them.  For the lists that I have considered running a bunch in, I was looking heavily at the drill cannons simply because I expect more high armor than high wound armies locally, and at the moment KO's biggest problem is in getting rend to punch through armored targets.  The extra range also means that I can sit back and play the movement game while still concentrating fire on individual targets that need to get taken out.  All this being said, the gunhauler does little enough damage and is so over-costed that I don't really find it all that worth running right now, and it rarely makes my lists.

hello to you all.

Is the following list legal, always confused when it comes to allies and coalition units.

/cheers Rangeltoft

Spoiler

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
- Sky Port: Barak Thryng
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
LEADERS
Aether-Khemist (90)**
- Artefact: Spell in a Bottle
Endrinmaster with Dirigible Suit (180)*
- General
- Command Trait: Supremely Stubborn
- Artefact: Grudgehammer
Auric Runesmiter (135)**
- Runic Iron
- Allies
Runelord (95)**
- Allies
UNITS
10 x Arkanaut Company (90)*
- 1 x Skypikes
- 1 x Light Skyhooks
- 1 x Aethermatic Volley Guns
3 x Endrinriggers (120)*
3 x Skywardens (105)*
- 1 x Aethermatic Volley Guns
- 1 x Drill Launcher
10 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (320)*
- Poleaxes
20 x Hammerers (290)*
BEHEMOTHS
Arkanaut Ironclad (490)*
- Main Gun: Great Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: The Last Word
ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS
Soulscream Bridge (80)
CORE BATTALIONS
*Battle Regiment
**Command Entourage - Magnificent
ADDITIONAL ENHANCEMENTS
Artefact
TOTAL: 1995/2000 WOUNDS: 103
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/1 ENDLESS SPELLS & INVOCATIONS: 1/3 ALLIES: 230/400
REINFORCED UNITS: 2/4 DROPS: 4

• Like 1

Yeah I think so, took me a while to work out exactly what was going on, but if I'm reading it right, you're Coalitioning the Berzerkers and the Hammerers, and Allying the Runesmiter and Runelord?

That should be fine, although of course as allies the Runesmiter won't get to pick an extra prayer, and neither the Runesmiter nor Runelord will benefit from subfaction traits.

21 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

Yeah I think so, took me a while to work out exactly what was going on, but if I'm reading it right, you're Coalitioning the Berzerkers and the Hammerers, and Allying the Runesmiter and Runelord?

That should be fine, although of course as allies the Runesmiter won't get to pick an extra prayer, and neither the Runesmiter nor Runelord will benefit from subfaction traits.

aye, that's the plan. I know they would both be better as coalition, but then i would need..12(?) other units, since they are not seperate coalition options as KO/SCE in Tempest Eye for exemple.

I'm with @Dogmantra, it should be completely legal to play.

Btw, Arkanaut Oath have some fun inputs for KOs. Appart from worldbuilding like our main language (kharadrid), we have the first Akranaut Surgeon (some type of Apothecary maybe?). It's not something to take serious because it's just a Black Library book, but hey, at least it's something.

Btw, we shoudl recieve another Black Library book this october too, I can't wait to read it!

01.jpg.c7b7da2c5a270cd9c3dd6a8a8f3d80db.jpg

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 7:20 PM, Beliman said:

I'm with @Dogmantra, it should be completely legal to play.

Btw, Arkanaut Oath have some fun inputs for KOs. Appart from worldbuilding like our main language (kharadrid), we have the first Akranaut Surgeon (some type of Apothecary maybe?). It's not something to take serious because it's just a Black Library book, but hey, at least it's something.

Btw, we shoudl recieve another Black Library book this october too, I can't wait to read it!

01.jpg.c7b7da2c5a270cd9c3dd6a8a8f3d80db.jpg

Book is very good IMO. Especially if you like the idea of reunification for duardins. 

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Beliman said:

WOW, I'm still waiting for Element Games to send my book! Anything interesting? Did you fins interesting for the future of the duardins?

I don't want to spoil anything. Just will say that it's totally possible that after the events of this book we could have first New Khazalid Empire city in AoS. It contain alot of detail for culture of FS, KO and Dispossessed, but nothing drastically new. Main focus is on how duardin culture look at each other and what difference and similarities between them. Ending is abit confusing tho. 

• LOVE IT! 1

So just one more variant I come-up with for grundstock thunderers unit rework(small)

2 units

Grundstock sharpshooters 

All rifles - serg with DB rifle

18" 2 shots (4 for serg) 3+/3+/-1/1

+1 towound rolls if enemy unit within 3".

Grundstock thunderers

All special weapon - serg gives +1 attack

12" 1 shot(2 for serg) 3+/3+/-1/2

If unit have all 3 types of special weapons rend is -2

+1 towound rolls if enemy within 3".

Fumigator - the same

Drillbill - the same

• LOVE IT! 1

If we will get FS forge it could work something like:

Aether forge:

- Flying forge

If skyvessel fully within 6" from the forge use it's flyhigh ability then after skyvessel finished it's move player can set up the forge fully within 6" of the skyvessel more then 9" from the enemy and more then 1" from other terrain. 

- Aether fog

Enemy models within 12" suffer -1tohit 

At the start of KO hero phase Khemist can use his triumph to boost Aether fog range by 6" until the start of KO next hero phase or improve tohit penalty by 1. 

Edited by cofaxest

It's not really a Kharadron thing but I think that it would be interesting for anyone who likes Duardins)
Some quotes from Nagash when he speaks with Grungni about Duardin underworld

Spoiler

N - Give me the keys to duardin underworlds, and with such tools will we remake Shyish into fortress of Order as will endure unto the end of things
G - No
N - I will find them if I must I will break them, and devour their guardian spirits and false-gods as I have others.
G - No you won't, or you wouldn't have bothered to ask. 
N - All things that are dead belong to me. Whether they come to me singly or in their trillions, they are mine, and I know when one is absent. You hope to hide something from me. I see through you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cofaxest said:

It's not really a Kharadron thing but I think that it would be interesting for anyone who likes Duardins)
Some quotes from Nagash when he speaks with Grungni about Duardin underworld

Hide contents

N - Give me the keys to duardin underworlds, and with such tools will we remake Shyish into fortress of Order as will endure unto the end of things
G - No
N - I will find them if I must I will break them, and devour their guardian spirits and false-gods as I have others.
G - No you won't, or you wouldn't have bothered to ask. 
N - All things that are dead belong to me. Whether they come to me singly or in their trillions, they are mine, and I know when one is absent. You hope to hide something from me. I see through you.

This actually make me think about sleeping beauty (Valaya) and 7 dwarfs (7 guardian spirits - Valikraz) 

Would you Guys Like to See a combined battletome as big waagh? Personally I'd Like to keep 3 different factions (cities duardins, Ko and FS) with the possibility to take coalition Units from each other. I think WE have more variety this way and more opportunities for Updates of any Kind.

Edited by Charly2912