AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

14 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

why would sky pirates and traders have tanks?

Oh I think AoS isn't too strict about cohesion of themes across armies. Think of it as another chamber/clan/guild. We've lately seen a lot of that Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz in one battletome. Gutbusters and Beastclaw Raiders. Glommspite Gitz that Grots, Throggoths and Spiderfang together.  Not to mention Stormcasts, CoS or Skaven. Little effort is needed to bring together sky machines and ground machines together. "Years ago Kharadrons divided themselves for those that will rule the sky and those that will live on the ground but they had both in common the love for Aether-devices. Bla, Bla, Bla.... Now they stand together once again to face the terror of Chaos and Death forces on the horizon. Bla, Bla, Bla... Done. Let's face it. Mechs are always cool. :)

My army is still in the works and i think what other minis i could buy. I hawe big team turnament im january and i hawe two lists in mind. First one uses some cos allies, second one is pure ko.
Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster
Runelord (90)
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
30 x Longbeards (270)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields
10 x Grundstok Thunderers (180)
- 10x Aethershot Rifles
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
Arkanaut Frigate (200)
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 137

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Zilfin
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster
Brokk Grungsson (240)
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
15 x Grundstok Thunderers (270)
- 10x Aethershot Rifles
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
Arkanaut Frigate (200)
- Great Endrinworks: Aetherspheric Endrinds (Barak-Zilfin Skyvessel)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

• Like 1

A little more brainstorming:

-Just looking at arkanauts, I can see some type of infantry (maybe character) unit with some type of old diving suit ala Big Daddy from Bioshock.

-Steampunk aracno-robot. Maybe change the main part with our endrins, or better, just put an arkanaut there!  They could use them to mine some high peaks that had aethergold in solid state (if it's possible)

-A new ship that focus on transports. Maybe something with less canons and more space. Or viceversa, use the ironclad focused on transports and make another one for war.

-More exoskeletons!! We already have Brokk with their own customized one. Maybe we need some more.

-Pirates!!! Don't know how, but I need more steampunk pirates!!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 3

@Entombet Both look like good lists! I think the first list is pretty strong. I really like using Longbeards as an ally. They are great for keeping your big Arkanaut unit safe, and give you some good presence in claiming mid-board objectives. I'm not sure about the Runelord, though. I really like to spread my Longbeards out in a long line to protect everything else, so it's tough to stay wholly within buff range. And at that point you are basically paying 90 points (and +1 drop) for a dispel. I'd swap him out for 5 more thunderers or a Knight-Azyros (good buff, roadblock, & mobile objective claimer).

Second list looks really fun, but I don't think is as strong (if that's what you are going for). Brokk is cool, but I don't think he's the most efficient pick for his points. 

2 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

@Entombet Both look like good lists! I think the first list is pretty strong. I really like using Longbeards as an ally. They are great for keeping your big Arkanaut unit safe, and give you some good presence in claiming mid-board objectives. I'm not sure about the Runelord, though. I really like to spread my Longbeards out in a long line to protect everything else, so it's tough to stay wholly within buff range. And at that point you are basically paying 90 points (and +1 drop) for a dispel. I'd swap him out for 5 more thunderers or a Knight-Azyros (good buff, roadblock, & mobile objective claimer).

Second list looks really fun, but I don't think is as strong (if that's what you are going for). Brokk is cool, but I don't think he's the most efficient pick for his points. 

Yeah i hawe lots of testing ahead, and im little afraid of not having any dispel.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:32 PM, Entombet said:

Yeah i hawe lots of testing ahead, and im little afraid of not having any dispel.

Then a knight incantor with their inbuilt dispel scroll is something to consider. Their a bit tall I agree but exelemt dispeller. And the comet endless spell is still good. (Don’t forget if your opponent uses a cast to dispel it your kind of ‘unbound’ a spell As well)

41 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Then a knight incantor with their inbuilt dispel scroll is something to consider. Their a bit tall I agree but exelemt dispeller. And the comet endless spell is still good. (Don’t forget if your opponent uses a cast to dispel it your kind of ‘unbound’ a spell As well)

Shame he is 160p 😛 , atm i dont wanna invest to much in none ko minis. I hope we will get new book next year.

• Like 1

They missed a trick when they didn’t give Gunhaulers Aethershock Torpedoes.  Then it would have been like the historical real life torpedo boat.  Plus with torpedos in addition to its other weapons, it would actually pack a punch now.

I’ve also been working on a big big list of improvements for the KO that I think they need.  I’d be happy to share them later if anyone’s interested.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

They missed a trick when they didn’t give Gunhaulers Aethershock Torpedoes.  Then it would have been like the historical real life torpedo boat.  Plus with torpedos in addition to its other weapons, it would actually pack a punch now.

I’ve also been working on a big big list of improvements for the KO that I think they need.  I’d be happy to share them later if anyone’s interested.

Lets do it!

Side question: Why do most KO players put the volley guns in the units of 10. Why not just moar skyhooks? Is it simply a function of not having the actual skyhook models?

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Lets do it!

Side question: Why do most KO players put the volley guns in the units of 10. Why not just moar skyhooks? Is it simply a function of not having the actual skyhook models?

Probably that, also if you are in range (ie 18) volley guns have better damage on average than skyhooks. And of course it`s more efficient to put skyhooks in large unit so you only need one alkhemist.

16 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Lets do it!

Boar answered that question better than I could lol.

As for my list, I haven’t got it to hand at the moment but I’ll share some key bits:

- all the guns should wound on at least a 3+ and have -1 rend, exactly like Cities Of Sigmar firearms.  We’re supposed to be the technologically advanced race, so it’s not good being shown up by black powder weapons.

- the range of the main weapons on the ships need greatly increased.  I hate having my supposedly advanced cannons and skyhooks outraged by catapults.

- the saves for all the ships should be increased to 3+, and the healing abilities of the frigate and ironclad should be an automatic restoration of d3 wounds.  This brings them in line with the monsters, war machines and healing abilities of other factions.

I’ll be back later to post a more detailed response later. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Boar answered that question better than I could lol.

As for my list, I haven’t got it to hand at the moment but I’ll share some key bits:

- all the guns should wound on at least a 3+ and have -1 rend, exactly like Cities Of Sigmar firearms.  We’re supposed to be the technologically advanced race, so it’s not good being shown up by black powder weapons.

- the range of the main weapons on the ships need greatly increased.  I hate having my supposedly advanced cannons and skyhooks outraged by catapults.

- the saves for all the ships should be increased to 3+, and the healing abilities of the frigate and ironclad should be an automatic restoration of d3 wounds.  This brings them in line with the monsters, war machines and healing abilities of other factions.

I’ll be back later to post a more detailed response later. 

How about embarked units get to fire, and count for models scoring objectives.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

How about embarked units get to fire, and count for models scoring objectives.

Yes absolutely.  I should have said too, I was replacing the current embarking and disembarking rules with a modified version of the garrison rules found in the core rulebook.  I’ve played a few games with them and the difference is immense.  Unbelievable even.

• Like 1

The best thing about using the garrison rules for the ships is that in addition to allowing the passengers to shoot out of the ship, it also allows them to fight out of the ship as well.  And it’s fair too, because they can be targeted in return.  And when they are fighting from the ship, it invokes images of the enemy boarding the ship and the overlords fighting trying to repel them, just like in the fluff.  It’s fantastic.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

A reliable rumor with some evidence suggests January is Seraphon, February is Kharadron, and March Tzeench. So this is it folks a few short months and it will finally be over and we'll know if GW listened to anything we have said about one of the worst armies in the game since near launch of it. 

If this army is bad again perhaps for years before getting another shot then what is everyone's plans? Personally if it happens and having lots of my 40k armies and lore I love wrecked in 8th lol I'm likely going to quit GW entirely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

If this army is bad again perhaps for years before getting another shot then what is everyone's plans? Personally if it happens and having lots of my 40k armies and lore I love wrecked in 8th lol I'm likely going to quit GW entirely. 

I'm not going to quit AoS really If my army can't aim for a 5-0. If that's the cases, I will only play friendly games and that's all. Btw, I haver an old 6th edition army to build (Karak Kadrin) and a group to play and finally my wife wants to start Kingdom of Death. 

I'm going to follow Conquest too. I like the design of their Dwarfs and I find the game fun and interesting so...

50 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I'm not going to quit AoS really If my army can't aim for a 5-0. If that's the cases, I will only play friendly games and that's all. Btw, I haver an old 6th edition army to build (Karak Kadrin) and a group to play and finally my wife wants to start Kingdom of Death. 

I'm going to follow Conquest too. I like the design of their Dwarfs and I find the game fun and interesting so...

Unfortunately my area is cut throat. With Tau lore ruined. 40k in general in 8th. Deathwatch dead army. Tau quasi-dead army. Space marines also ruined with Primaris. Now KO might be bad again. That’s going to be 4 armies started and sidelined before they were done. See why I’m pesemistic? 4 in a row jut as I get into the hobby is too much to take when I put so much work into it and actually paint them and make backstories. 

5 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

Imma gonna complain in the mawtribes thread that they duck ;) 

no honestly it’s a tough spot for you. Your gaming environment forces you to judge armies by a ‘cut throat’ standard and that’s tough. I genuinely believe you would be better off with a more laid back community. For me KO have been challenging and 50/50 win loss might be to much to ask but I do get very close to that now. Most casual groups are harder to find but that would be my advice rather then keep judging armies to a standard that only Slaanesh can beat currently. Because thats what’s making you, in you words, pessimistic Not the armies themselves. 

1 hour ago, Barkanaut said:

Unfortunately my area is cut throat. With Tau lore ruined. 40k in general in 8th. Deathwatch dead army. Tau quasi-dead army. Space marines also ruined with Primaris. Now KO might be bad again. That’s going to be 4 armies started and sidelined before they were done. See why I’m pesemistic? 4 in a row jut as I get into the hobby is too much to take when I put so much work into it and actually paint them and make backstories. 

I dont know where you have been but Primaris hella fixed Space Marines. They are in the best place they have been in years. All their new supplements are either great or borderline broken.

Anyway...if KO are still bad then they will sit on the shelf and ill move on to another shiny project like most people do. After KO sales stagnate and there is zero presence of them at events then GW will look at them again. Thats how they gather their metrics on what needs tuning.

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

For me KO have been challenging and 50/50 win loss might be to much to ask but I do get very close to that now.

IMO, If I have a 40/60 but the gameplay is nice, fun and fluid without taking 20 minuts for just one phase (that shooty phase...), then I will be happy.