AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

The fact is that GW has two guys writing books. One is chill and likes the lore and such writes books like Ogors and Gloomspite then there is the guy snorting coke instead of drinking coffee and writing rules like "6 mortals wounds on a roll of 6" "+1 save to the entire army" "No battleshocks ever" "Summon 3 keepers a game"I hope KO got the coked out one. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Eevika said:

The fact is that GW has two guys writing books. One is chill and likes the lore and such writes books like Ogors and Gloomspite then there is the guy snorting coke instead of drinking coffee and writing rules like "6 mortals wounds on a roll of 6" "+1 save to the entire army" "No battleshocks ever" "Summon 3 keepers a game"I hope KO got the coked out one. 

I think Sam Pearson is both of those guys? 😂

• Haha 1

Just one more wishlist.

1) Heroes

- Endrinmaster can heal and buff ships

- Aether chemist can use aether alchemy "lore" abilities

- Admiral have command ability in a form of orders (target unit shoot in the hero phase if target have embarked models, they can shoot too, for example)

- All embarked heroes can target unit emarked on the same ship with theirs abilities.

2) Ships

- Increased capacity. 20 (+5) for frigate, 30(+5) for Ironclade

- 4+ save for gunhawlers and frigates, 3+ for Ironclade

- bombing run ability

- +1 tohit if not moving

- d3 mw after charge

- carbines 3 attack for each 18 inches 4+/3+/-1/1

- Skycannon 3/4+/2+/-2/d6 (with damage reroll if target unit have 10 or more models)

- drillcannon 3/4+/3+/-3/d3 (roll a dice after each hit. On 4+ deal d3 mw to another enemy unit within X inches)

- Great skyhook 3/4+/3+/-2/3 

- great volleycanon 18/4+/3+/-1/1

3) Units

- Riggers repair ability scales with unit size (3 models - 1 wound, 6-9 models - d3 wounds, 12 models - 3 wounds)

- Wardens mines shoud be changed: "For each model that was killed roll two dice for each enemy unit within 1 inch (add 2 to the roll if target unit have fly ability), on a roll of 4+ target unit suffer 1 mw.

- Once per turn unit of thumderers with drillbill can shoot at the enemy unit who end it's charge move within X (I think 3 would be appropriate) inches.

I'm curious... can we expect more info about out BT on new year open day?

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Thought Jervis was the other one? Isn’t there also a third guy now?

Sam (fluffy, hinterlands creator, mawtribes), jervis (senior rules writer, Slaanesh, ossiarch bonereapers) and slaves to darkness got the new guy if I remember the honest wargamer correctly

Edited by Kramer

What if the Aether-Khemist loses the +1 attack to one weapon but gains the ability to hand out one aethergold per turn to a unit? It'd be less overtly powerful but way more versatile.

Could also explain the photo that showed multiple aethergold on a unit.

20 minutes ago, Gwydion said:

What if the Aether-Khemist loses the +1 attack to one weapon but gains the ability to hand out one aethergold per turn to a unit? It'd be less overtly powerful but way more versatile.

Could also explain the photo that showed multiple aethergold on a unit.

If to be honest I think that this system is not well balanced. It will be much better if:

1) KO army gets 1 aether gold for each 10 models, each hero and each ship

Or

2) each ship, hero and unit with more then 5 models gets 1 aether gold (so you can have 10 thunderers and 6 skyriggers with aether gold)

20 hours ago, Nick907 said:

Fannie Mae is a mortgage conglomerate, it buys mortgage debts from banks and incentivizes banks to lend more. Freddie Mac takes that debt and fractures it into investable securities and derivatives. If you buy a $200k house with a 30 year mortgage, most of your payment will be interest against that $200k principle, so that after making payments for 30 years you’ll have spent more like $400-$500k (depending on your interest rate). People and businesses can invest in that difference by purchasing shares of securities and derivatives.  When the housing bubble burst in 2007, it was because so many new homeowners had defaulted on their payments that it was impossible for those investments to payout. That’s why banks were poised to fail and employers had to downsize and retirement funds were depleted. 

Basically the idea of getting people into houses was a nice idea, but instead of bringing economic prosperity the lack of foresight lead to global recession. Similar problems can arise in game design when designers are too ambitious or lack foresight, leading to a broken game. Luckily, GW has already made those kind of mistakes with KO so chances of them happening again are much lower. 

It isn’t that hard to get people into houses. We just aren’t willing to do it without giving the banks a huge cut. Bringing up the mortgage crisis is not a particularly great way to make any points, except maybe about corporate greed

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Sam (fluffy, hinterlands creator, mawtribes), jervis (senior rules writer, Slaanesh, ossiarch bonereapers) and slaves to darkness got the new guy if I remember the honest wargamer correctly

If they really have only two rules writers it shouldnt be that hard to have communication between the two to keep power levels between books in check

9 minutes ago, Eevika said:

If they really have only two rules writers it shouldnt be that hard to have communication between the two to keep power levels between books in check

Maybe the SENIOR RULES WRITER shouldnt be mucking up every release he writes with overtuned nonsense 😂

(Unless it's for KO)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Walrustaco said:

Maybe the SENIOR RULES WRITER shouldnt be mucking up every release he writes with overtuned nonsense 😂

(Unless it's for KO)

I think it’s not so much about it being overpowered. But every book attributed to him seems to have an allegiance ability that breaks core rules for others.
(Slaanesh with the order of combat, OBR with command points system). Which is cool don’t get me wrong.
but to me it seems the core rules are there to help balance things. Breaking with that support structure apperwntly leads to really strong play options. 

And please no Slaanesh/daughters/OBR/FEC OP kharadron overlords. I barely played my Daughters before I felt like a bit of a dik Bringing them but mostly got bored because the challenge wasn’t there. Rather play the underdog  

15 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Just to reiterate I’m just repeating what the honest wargamer talks about in his podcast. So how ‘only two’ it is I don’t know. And apparently there is a new guy. 
but having worked in small teams it’s easy enough for me to believe that under time pressure (12 books last year) that getting to test them to balance is hard. Especially if someone next to you has to do the same. 

If i remember correctly I heard that the “two writers” theory left out specific battle tomes in order to push the story I bit further. Can’t remember if it was a 2+ tough stream or another YouTuber.

the fact is, the writers shouldn’t have final say or think about actual balance when writing books. It’s their job to bring to the table their unbridled creativity. Then GW should have editors that actually think about balance and tweak after ward. We don’t know who put the final tweaks in each book, so how can we blame the writers if they are just one piece of the puzzle?

in all sorts of artistic media the final product was not then creators vision. It shouldn’t be all their responsibility 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

And please no Slaanesh/daughters/OBR/FEC OP kharadron overlords. I barely played my Daughters before I felt like a bit of a dik Bringing them but mostly got bored because the challenge wasn’t there. Rather play the underdog  

Why not the upper/middle dog? That's my wish

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

Why not the upper/middle dog? That's my wish

Selfish reasons. KO has been probably been the most fun army I’ve played last two years. I play the most in my group and by playing the under dog I don’t feel I have to pull any punches. 
with daughters it felt like that. Haven’t played them in over a year. Ogors now feel good. (only played 3 games so far with them, so opinion might change). To play my cities or my stormcast I need to paint some more so those rules arent as important to me 😁 haven’t played a unpainted or proxy model in 2019 and not going to start 2020  

• Like 1