AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

57 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Okay. 
1. If that's the issue. Totally fair but that's not been in the comments as far as I can see. (unless followed by GW hates me level comments)
2. If you post that question maybe someone will know and can help clear it up. 
3. I don't think anybody can truly clear it up. But as far as I understand it through all the podcasts and interviews with GW employees it's all down to model first. If the Ogor release was on the schedule and a designer got a cool idea for the mawpot and it was approved. That's why it's there. Fyreslayers a designer created the endless spells and that's why they got them. There apparently wasn't a design that was approved. It's no stranger than that. 

Probably you are right but if to be honest creating 3 boxes of models (hero/es/terrain) doesn't looks like rocket science for me) 

4 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Probably you are right but if to be honest creating 3 boxes of models (hero/es/terrain) doesn't looks like rocket science for me) 

That’s true. Seems like an easy task. But the time spend on that isn’t spend on something that will sell better is probably the reason. 
And on top of that, will releasing models below their norm, hurt their image? I don’t know but having worked for several companies as a freelance communication advisor I know how protective companies can be about their company standard. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

That’s true. Seems like an easy task. But the time spend on that isn’t spend on something that will sell better is probably the reason. 
And on top of that, will releasing models below their norm, hurt their image? I don’t know but having worked for several companies as a freelance communication advisor I know how protective companies can be about their company standard. 

Business is business)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phasteon said:

Its pretty much the same kit of abilities he got now. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I must disagree. 34" is massive. That ability alone can stop a first turn charge (I'm looking at you Mawcrusha...), something that we couldn't do before. 
And having an inner keyword hero to remove Endless Spells , is a new tool and I'm happy to not having to take an Incantor for that... and that without knowing any Allegiance Abilities!!! 

Just now, zilberfrid said:

Dispelling endless spells is quite useful in Cities and the halving movement now can cause MW's and has almost double the range.

Exactly.  He has the same TYPE of abilities, but they are massively expanded.  

BTW - the range on his storm is actually 36 inches, I believe

• Like 1

I don‘t really get all that pessimism just because of some missing Endless Spells (thank god) & I do think, that the KO still have one of the, if not THE best model range out of all the AoS factions.

But, to share some different perspective, I do get that those of us that mainly paint and rarely play are far less excited about new rules, than about new models to spend their time on.

And for those people this release (like quite a few before it) seems like a let down. Sure, you can paint another Ironclad, but maybe you‘d rather paint something different within the same aesthetic that you love so much.

We should not forget our hobbyists brethren that get the most joy out of assembling and painting miniatures.

As for the rest, I‘m kinda glad that nothing changed and every release of every faction (especially Duardin factions who have the best grudgebearers among them) spills doom and and destruction. At least on the internet.

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

I actually just noticed this too and was wondering what that was all about.

I guess it probably develops the aerial combat rules from GHB2018, maybe with more battle plans etc. But it could be something more independent from the main rules. 

30 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I must disagree. 34" is massive. That ability alone can stop a first turn charge (I'm looking at you Mawcrusha...), something that we couldn't do before. 
And having an inner keyword hero to remove Endless Spells , is a new tool and I'm happy to not having to take an Incantor for that... and that without knowing any Allegiance Abilities!!! 

25 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Exactly.  He has the same TYPE of abilities, but they are massively expanded.  

BTW - the range on his storm is actually 36 inches, I believe

There are definitely plenty of fast flying things to slow down these days. The aetherstorm ability is a more reliable and longer range, but more situational version of several cities of sigmar spells. You are mostly paying about 90points for those spells and you have to chose between the cast and the dispel attempt. Assuming correct translation, the navigator doesn't have to chose between aether storm and dispel, so you effectively get the dispel for free. Also assuming no significant change in price, in comparison to a (non Hallowheart) battlemage the navigator seems pretty decent. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

From what I can read:

• Tormenta del Aether/  Aetherstorm: 34", in LoS, flying target: Roll a die, on 1-2, nothing happens, on 3-5, half movement, on a 6 half movement and 1D3 mw.
  • Visión del Aether/ Aethervision (?): Can dispell 1 Endless Spells and unbind 1 spell.
  • Leer los vientos/ Read the winds: re-roll run and charge (?) rolls for friendly skyvessels that are in LoS with one or more Navigators.

MUST. HAVE. NAVIGATOR. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Well, their company standard... The Freeguild Crossbowmen/handgunners still exist, and they are uglier than the deleted archers/hunters, or 90% of other kits (things like the Lord Relictor are still worse, but even I must admit some Stormcast are prettier sets).

26 minutes ago, Dr Ben said:

I guess it probably develops the aerial combat rules from GHB2018, maybe with more battle plans etc. But it could be something more independent from the main rules. 

There are definitely plenty of fast flying things to slow down these days. The aetherstorm ability is a more reliable and longer range, but more situational version of several cities of sigmar spells. You are mostly paying about 90points for those spells and you have to chose between the cast and the dispel attempt. Assuming correct translation, the navigator doesn't have to chose between aether storm and dispel, so you effectively get the dispel for free. Also assuming no significant change in price, in comparison to a (non Hallowheart) battlemage the navigator seems pretty decent. 

I like Aeronautica as a concept, translating it to AoS to be used with stuff we can also use in the game looks like fun.

Slowing the fastest units down at 34" (or 36") is a good thing to be able to do, especially if you have good shooting. It won't slow everything down (you could take battlewizards Ulgu or Chamon for that), but the fastest things (that can also ignore a screen) are flyers.

49 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, their company standard... The Freeguild Crossbowmen/handgunners still exist, and they are uglier than the deleted archers/hunters, or 90% of other kits (things like the Lord Relictor are still worse, but even I must admit some Stormcast are prettier sets).

True and subjective. 
yeah some old models do need the AoS treatment. My point was more that if a new design doesn’t meet the current standard it isn’t released. 

I seem to remember the old freeguild stuif looking really good when they released them. (But could be nostalgia). The standard changes with time (and technology)

you really don’t like the lord relictor? Really like that model except for the reliquary. That and decimators have been tempting me from release but didn’t like the rest of the range. Only with he vanguard wing did I buy into stormcast.

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

True and subjective. 
yeah some old models do need the AoS treatment. My point was more that if a new design doesn’t meet the current standard it isn’t released. 

I seem to remember the old freeguild stuif looking really good when they released them. (But could be nostalgia). The standard changes with time (and technology)

you really don’t like the lord relictor? Really like that model except for the reliquary. That and decimators have been tempting me from release but didn’t like the rest of the range. Only with he vanguard wing did I buy into stormcast.

The Relictor can only waddle, because he has spikes on the inside of his knees, raise his arms, because the spikes of the shoulder would get caught up in the spikes on the back or pierce his head, swing a weapon because of the same reason, and simply looks ridiculous.

Let's talk more about something more believable, such as steampunk dwarves hanging from metal balloons!

What do people think about the aesthetics of Brokk vs the Edrinmaster with dirigable?

I prefer Brokk, since he has not as many bits sticking out of him, and his head is awesome, but that's just from initial impressions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

The Relictor can only waddle, because he has spikes on the inside of his knees, raise his arms, because the spikes of the shoulder would get caught up in the spikes on the back or pierce his head, swing a weapon because of the same reason, and simply looks ridiculous.

Let's talk more about something more believable, such as steampunk dwarves hanging from metal balloons!

What do people think about the aesthetics of Brokk vs the Edrinmaster with dirigable?

I prefer Brokk, since he has not as many bits sticking out of him, and his head is awesome, but that's just from initial impressions.

Haha never considered the mechanics of his movements 😂.... nope still awesome imo  

I want to see the endrinmaster first in person but based on the pictures I prefer Brokk as well. Feels more impressive (which is part of the background so that’s fine)

• Like 1

Brokk is a named character, so of course he looks better.  He's supposed to.

The new Endrinmaster looks pretty boss though, as well.  His multi-arms are awesome looking - especially since even the pistol arms double as tools.  One arm has a Vulcanizer, which is what the KO use for welding things.   Another wields a Rivet Gun.  Cool stuff!

Hey guys!

I started playing Warhammer last June and have finished painting about 3.000 points of Beasts of Chaos. Now I would love to start a 2nd army and I had my eyes on Kharadron Overlords already. But now with the new book coming up I have decided I want to start collecting them for sure.

Now I made the mistake ordering three start collecting boxes for BoC and some Bullgors when I first started and later found out that the Ghorgons/Cygors and Bullgors were not competitive at all and a waste of money. 

I do not want to repeat this mistake so I was wondering if you guys can help me get started for around 1.000 to 1.500 points. What is like the KO staple (ofcourse the new book can change things). I have figured out that 2 Khermist, about 40 Arkanaut Company and maybe a Frigate could be worth the purchase right away but I really would love you guys input. As said I would like a fun but competitive 1.000 point army, easily upgradeable to 1.500 points!

Thanks in advance guys :).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Hey guys!

I started playing Warhammer last June and have finished painting about 3.000 points of Beasts of Chaos. Now I would love to start a 2nd army and I had my eyes on Kharadron Overlords already. But now with the new book coming up I have decided I want to start collecting them for sure.

Now I made the mistake ordering three start collecting boxes for BoC and some Bullgors when I first started and later found out that the Ghorgons/Cygors and Bullgors were not competitive at all and a waste of money. 

I do not want to repeat this mistake so I was wondering if you guys can help me get started for around 1.000 to 1.500 points. What is like the KO staple (ofcourse the new book can change things). I have figured out that 2 Khermist, about 40 Arkanaut Company and maybe a Frigate could be worth the purchase right away but I really would love you guys input. As said I would like a fun but competitive 1.000 point army, easily upgradeable to 1.500 points!

Wait a week. Things like a frigate or thunderers or Khemist as something  to paint  In the meantime is probably fine. 

but even the battleline might change with some battleline if option.  

honestly every kit has weapon option, so thinking about it... maybe navigator is the safest bet 😅

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

I understand the frustration people feel in apparently only getting one new model.  

At the same time, I am personally happy that KO didn’t get endless spell equivalents or a terrain piece.  Some of the terrain pieces that have been released are frankly ridiculous to exist during a battle.  Sylvaneth and Fyreslayers are fine, they summon their terrain.  Skaven as well (although less summoning and more creating them).  Then you have the pieces that make you raise an eyebrow, like the Mawpot, but you can let it slide because it isn’t out of character for some Ogors to lug around a giant cauldron.  

Then you have the truly bizarre ones.  Do Ossiarch Bonereapers literally only ever fight in proximity to a tithe-gathering site?  Just how many entrances to grot infested caves are there?  How many ghouls does it take to lug around the broken bits of castle and the throne that is literally the center of a Ghoul King’s power?

Kharadron Overlords get to battles in their ships.  They are also smart enough to not subject a refinery or foundry to the risks of open warfare.

I had hoped they would change the navigator to be a quasi-wizard, manipulating aether-gold for “magic” effects.  That doesn’t appear to be the case (unless it’s tucked away in the allegiance abilities), but there is still room for something similar to be given to Khemists or Endrinmasters.  As it is, dispelling endless spells is a huge help, and halving movement on stuff like Terrorgheists and Maw-Crushas with such a large range is fantastic.

I remain hopeful, and while I LOVE the KO models and wish we got more than one character for new models, we really aren’t that far off from other “new for AoS” armies.  With the initial release we got 4 heroes, a named character, 3 boats, and three unit boxes (one of which was a dual build).  Other new armies have gotten pretty close to the same treatment.  

I just hope we get more Battleline and some 3+ to hit and a way to give more shots to cannons on boats.

Edit: there are also those tokens for pieces of aether-gold, whatever they are...

Edited by FatherTurin
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Hey guys!

If you want to start painting right away, get Thundrik's Profiteers (it's what I did). It's cheaper than an Aether Khemist, and has an Aether Khemist in it.

The rest will work as alternate models for your Thunderers, Skywarden and Arkanauts.

I hope that will tide you over until the book comes out, if it doesn't, I suspect more  Arkanauts won't hurt

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

• Visión del Aether/ Aethervision (?): Can dispell 1 Endless Spells and unbind 1 spell.

Good. Great even- whilst not a dealbreaker (only thing for me that would be close would no no new battleline choice, and even then who am I kidding, I’ll still be using mine anyway) I was really worried they’d remain as another army with no inbuilt way to get rid of endless spells. 

As I’m currently painting a sylvaneth army, I’m personally more than happy not to have another terrain piece to worry about. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/12/30/faction-focus-kharadron-overlordsgw-homepage-post-2/
fot those that don’t check the community site 

battleline frigates 

buffed slywardens 

teleporting During the game

And me searching for how garrison actually worked again. 

sky pirating never looked better 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 5