AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

11 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I hate that I can't play my army until I figure out how to fix my airship stand. I want to play AoS again so badly!

I use this for my Ironclade, 3 Frigates and 4 Gunhawlers. Works pretty good for now. 
https://themagnetbaron.com/collections/kharadron-overlord-flight-stands/products/2x-kharadron-overlord-large-flat-magnetic-flight-stands

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Anyone planning out some Tempest's Eye lists?

I like the idea of using it to make a true combined duardin list- something like (if I’ve got the new points right):

warden king (general)

Runelord

Runelord

battle line:

30 ironbreakers

30 hammerers

10  longbeards 

others:

10 grundstock thunderers

kharadron frigate

3 gyrocopters

allies:

grimwrath berserker

10 hearthguard berserkers 

How well that would synergise with the tempest eye’s rule’s I don’t know- I may well be better splitting the dispossessed into smaller units,  but I like the idea of having a combination of fast objective grabbers (gyrocopters and the Kharadrons), heavy hitters to grind up the field (berserkers and the hammerers) and a meaty block of ironbreakers in Defense (ok they’ve been inexplicably nerfed, but 30 models with a 3+ save/ 6+ invun, and battleshock immunity if I hang the king back, is still tough to shift. 

10 minutes ago, Azamar said:

I like the idea of using it to make a true combined duardin list- something like (if I’ve got the new points right):

warden king (general)

Runelord

Runelord

battle line:

30 ironbreakers

30 hammerers

10  longbeards 

others:

10 grundstock thunderers

kharadron frigate

3 gyrocopters

allies:

grimwrath berserker

How well that would synergise with the tempest eye’s rule’s I don’t know- I may well be better splitting the dispossessed into smaller units,  but I like the idea of having a combination of fast objective grabbers (gyrocopters and the Kharadrons), heavy hitters to grind up the field (berserkers and the hammerers) and a meaty block of ironbreakers in Defense (ok they’ve been inexplicably nerfed, but 30 models with a 3+ save/ 6+ invun, and battleshock immunity if I hang the king back, is still tough to shift. 

Theres a Tempests battalion that can take up to 2 gunhaulers but not sure what the battalion abilities are

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Theres a Tempests battalion that can take up to 2 gunhaulers but not sure what the battalion abilities are

retreat and still shoot and charge. It's situationally nice, but with how deadly combat in in AoS, most units will kill off outriders or a gunhauler if they make contact. Neither of those are super durable units. It's better on the griffon general to let him skip through to major targets and keep his lance bonus going all the time.

Now, one of tempest eye's command traits (According to GMG, so your mileage may very to its veracity) is plus one to wound with ranged weapons wholly within 12 of general.

The means, with general, khemist, and Celestial hurricanum, your skyhooks are getting 24 shots hitting on threes (hitting monsters on twos), and then wounding on twos.

With this in mind, and looking at my collection, I threw together this army

Khemist

Freeguild general

Celestial hurricanum with battle mage

Battle mage

40 arkanauts

30 handgunners

30 crossbowmen (Both hand gunners and crossbow men are stand in as dwarves, but ain't no way imma buy 60 models just cause they squatted like 80 percent of my dwarves. Gunners have guns, crossbows have crossbows. Easy sub. And it was the dwarves that taught humans how to do all this anyways! *grumble grumble*)

30 longbeards with shields

Shackles endless spell

nets me a cool 2000 points.

The shooting is quite intense, You have strong CP generation between adjunct rule and the tempest eye spell that nets a CP on a 7 to cast (and hurricanum gives plus one to casts). 

Longbeards jam up a turn, followed by handgunners, all the while you are raining fire down upon the foe. Outside of gotrek (and morathi of course), I'm not sure there is a character in the game that can survive 24 three plus two plus (or two plus two plus) skyhook shots. And your threat range is really far. 31 inches on the first turn. AND tempest eye has a run and shoot CP, so, theoretically, it is a 37 inch threat range first turn.

All of this is just to say, Arkanaut companies are waaaay better in Cities of Sigmar and their goodness there is going to be how GW self justifies nerfing their weapon options to one of each per ten :P and I'll quit the game in disgust once more.

Edited by stratigo
  • Haha 1

Overlords, I have a question for you.

What is your opinion on the potential of Gunhaulers in primarily non-Kharadron Tempest's Eye army?

Things to consider: They have access to both +1 to hit from Hurricanum and +1 to wound from general. They are a part of a battalion that I plan on using anyway.

They get+1 save and +3 move in the first battleround. Additionally, they get +1 to their run move and can shoot and charge after retreating.

Plus they have access to a lot of command points for their re-rolling needs.

I know they're generally considered, well, suboptimal, but I wonder if under all those buffs they may be more viable. Will adding any Kharadron characters increase their viability?  Or, to reiterate: I already have a base for their models due to unfortunate squatting with only a bit of conversion required. How useless they'll be if I include them? ; )

19 hours ago, dekay said:

Overlords, I have a question for you.

What is your opinion on the potential of Gunhaulers in primarily non-Kharadron Tempest's Eye army?

Things to consider: They have access to both +1 to hit from Hurricanum and +1 to wound from general. They are a part of a battalion that I plan on using anyway.

They get+1 save and +3 move in the first battleround. Additionally, they get +1 to their run move and can shoot and charge after retreating.

Plus they have access to a lot of command points for their re-rolling needs.

I know they're generally considered, well, suboptimal, but I wonder if under all those buffs they may be more viable. Will adding any Kharadron characters increase their viability?  Or, to reiterate: I already have a base for their models due to unfortunate squatting with only a bit of conversion required. How useless they'll be if I include them? ; )

I think about 12 wardens with chemist. 8 drill shots 3+/2+/-3/d3 and on 5+ deal d3 mw to enemy unit within 3 of targeted plus 24 shots 3+/3+/-1/1. Could be interesting.(still 540 pts) 

Edited by cofaxest

18 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

I think about 12 wardens with chemist. 8 drill shots 3+/2+/-3/d3 and on 5+ deal d3 mw to enemy unit within 3 of targeted plus 24 shots 3+/3+/-1/1. Could be interesting.(still 540 pts) 

I've considered those too, but, being yet unfamiliar with the Kharadron, how in the world does one make Khemist keep up with them?

9 minutes ago, dekay said:

I've considered those too, but, being yet unfamiliar with the Kharadron, how in the world does one make Khemist keep up with them?

Under Tempest eye you can move him 7. So 7 + 18/24 inch weapon. 25/31 inches more then you need on turn 1. 

Edited by cofaxest

On 9/30/2019 at 7:50 AM, dekay said:

I have been toying with the idea of giving a khemist the thermal rider cloak. So not only can he just keep up with them, but also be able to debuff a unit fighting the riggers/wardens. Sucks to lose the earburster or a defensive artefact to keep general alive (typically in mhornar) though. Some cool conversion opportunities though! 

Can you more experienced KO players provide some feedback on this list? I know Brokk isnt the most optimal, but I LOVE the model and being able to move, run, shoot and charge turn one seems LEGIT.  and He can certainly add some more PUNCH to the unit of 12 riggers. If I did take him out, what should I sub in?? THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE!

P.S. I love the thought of the incantor using some KO tech to call in a giant meteor from space and dropping it on the battlefield. Definitely going to be painting it up as if its  metallic/iron

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Brokk Grungsson (240)
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Allies

Battleline
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
- 12x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (480)

Endless Spells / Terrain
Everblaze Comet (100)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140 / 400
Wounds: 107

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

@sal4m4nd3rlooks like it could be a good list. One big risk that jumps out to me: usually you see these Mhornar lists with some sort of battalion or at least ships to keep them low drop and give them the choice of first turn. If you go against an enemy that out droops you and can alpha strike hard or turn 1, get a big speed bump in your way, or give you the turn and keep key targets out of harms way (like stormcast deploying their important units in the sky), it will be an uphill slog from the very start.

20 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

@sal4m4nd3rlooks like it could be a good list. One big risk that jumps out to me: usually you see these Mhornar lists with some sort of battalion or at least ships to keep them low drop and give them the choice of first turn. If you go against an enemy that out droops you and can alpha strike hard or turn 1, get a big speed bump in your way, or give you the turn and keep key targets out of harms way (like stormcast deploying their important units in the sky), it will be an uphill slog from the very start.

Looks like Iron sky has great synergy with Mhornar. That’s an awesome tip! Thanks so much! Getting my first game in tomorrow! Very excited!

Hello! I'm new of kharadron, I'm looking for some advise for a 1000 points list. Can you please give me some suggestion? I have some doubts about choosing between skywarders or endriggers? 

Is a frigate necessary at 1000 points? 

Thank you for your help! 

1 hour ago, Kramig said:

Hello! I'm new of kharadron, I'm looking for some advise for a 1000 points list. Can you please give me some suggestion? I have some doubts about choosing between skywarders or endriggers? 

Is a frigate necessary at 1000 points? 

Thank you for your help! 

Riggers and generally better, but require more support, they need a khemist and usually want a ship to help them. Wardens are more self sufficient. But wardens also want to largely be shooters because they have the same shooting options as riggers for cheaper

at 1000 points if you are bringing riggers, this is pretty much the entire point of your lists and you should build around them

The Khemist is a huge buff piece to support the endrinriggers. It basically doubles their combat output. If you want to use Brokk, I would prioritize adding a Khemist above the Frigate.

If you want to make a competitive list, I would consider dropping Brokk. Tough to fit him in at 1K. Instead you could go with min Arkanauts, Khemist, Frigate (with deepstrike artifact), and either 9 Endrinriggers and a CP or 12 Skywardens. Gives you a 2 drop list with the ability to drop the bulk of your force where you want.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kramig said:

Thank you stratigo

I'd like to put Brokk for his command ability, in order to support endriggers, but with him, 6 endriggers, 2 battle line, I have already 720 pts; I could put a frigate, but with 80 points I can't put anything else... 

Do a khemist, Brokk essentially takes some of the role of the frigate in giving the riggers a bit more movement. Though you are losing out on their pretty solid shooting if you are using his command ability.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, Azamar said:

warden king (general)

Runelord

Runelord

battle line:

30 ironbreakers

30 hammerers

10  longbeards 

others:

10 grundstock thunderers

kharadron frigate

3 gyrocopters

allies:

grimwrath berserker

Im doing roughly the same. Why the grimwrath and not a runesmiter for deepstriking the incredible tanky bezerkers? Served me well in the past as a forward objective grabber turn one. At the very least forces a difficult choice on my opponent. Going first vs reacting to my play. 

For the KO part I also want to try endrinriggers/skywardens with Brokk instead of the frigate with thunderers. Because you lose the deep strike which was what made that combo Fun. 

further I second the dispossessed  selection! It’s all fun stuff that does their thing. I just went for more longbeards vs gyrocopters. 
Now to actually play a game 😂