AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

12 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Slaanesh summoning is really good. I think it is the best there is currently. We have the tools to take out heroes as efficiently as any army in the game, but if your opponent is running max heroes (like pretty much every decent Slaanesh list does), you pretty much need a double turn to get them all, because he can keep bringing new ones on! It requires us to be really thoughtful with deployment and movement to make sure they can't summon onto objectives. 

It doesn't sound very fun. "You have to play perfectly, but even if you do, hope you get a double turn".

I dunno, competitive AoS seems like it has gone off the rails with slaanesh adding like, what, 500, 600 more points a game, Skaven with the ability to do literally everything well with no downsides, and the activation wars. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stratigo said:

It doesn't sound very fun. "You have to play perfectly, but even if you do, hope you get a double turn".

Don't think I would agree with that. Slaanesh are really a strong, and you probably need a double turn to shut off their summoning, but if you play well you can win without the double through smart positioning & playing the objectives. I definitely made some mistakes in my deployment the game that I lost. When I played Slaanesh again in game 3, I lost every priority roll, and my opponent summoned on 2 new Keepers (and could have summoned more if the game went to turn 5), but I still won the game.

I think KO can compete with almost any army  now (way different than how things were a few months ago), but it's still a dice game. Every game is going to have 8 or 9 really important dice rolls (priority, long charges, important spells) that could go either way. If most of those big rolls go against you, and it's a match up of two good armies, you have to really outplay your opponent to win. I didn't do that in my loss.

Edited by WatcherintheWater

Anyone come up with a decent KO & Gotrek list? I don't think he really fits our army very well, but the best I thought of was a gunline list something like this:

• Gotrek
  • 2 Khemists
  • 10, 20 & 40 Arkanauts
  • 9 Endrinriggers

2K on the dot. The two smaller units of Arkanauts bubble wrap the army and keep everything else safe for the first couple turns. When your enemy gets close you push Gotrek into them, while the 40 man unit keeps shooting. Endrinriggers can counter charge where needed, or use Grapnels to go claim objectives in turns 3-5. Think it's to slow to be a competitive list, and you probably need some sort of combat unit to stick with Gotrek to prevent your opponent from getting to many attacks against him, which we don't have.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

Anyone come up with a decent KO & Gotrek list? I don't think he really fits our army very well, but the best I thought of was a gunline list something like this:

• Gotrek
  • 2 Khemists
  • 10, 20 & 40 Arkanauts
  • 9 Endrinriggers

2K on the dot. The two smaller units of Arkanauts bubble wrap the army and keep everything else safe for the first couple turns. When your enemy gets close you push Gotrek into them, while the 40 man unit keeps shooting. Endrinriggers can counter charge where needed, or use Grapnels to go claim objectives in turns 3-5. Think it's to slow to be a competitive list, and you probably need some sort of combat unit to stick with Gotrek to prevent your opponent from getting to many attacks against him, which we don't have.

i was acutally going to ask - can we even use him? whats the penalty?  etc - i feel like he should be more in touch with the old dwarces that survived rather then the new breed of fyreslyaers

58 minutes ago, Dekison said:

i was acutally going to ask - can we even use him? whats the penalty?  etc - i feel like he should be more in touch with the old dwarces that survived rather then the new breed of fyreslyaers

We can use him as an ally. Any Order army can. However he takes up your whole ally allowance, so everything else has to be pure KO.

2 hours ago, Dekison said:

Read the book* and you see that he is. The axe is simply the first magical weapon he picks up and the rune he's holding would be spoilers to explain. But he is very much an Old Skool/World Dwarf.

Well youknow.... listen to the mp3 ;) 

Edited by Kramer

Greetings friends! I have happily joined your ranks! Very excited. I’m just GIDDY to get this built. While I get some ships, I’ll be adding gotrek so I can play some 2k games. Not sure I’ll win a lot but it sure as hell will be fun!!!

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Aetheric Navigator (80)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 

Grotrek (520)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
- 12x Light Skyhooks

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

BFC24FE0-AB3F-4CE6-8166-E3124B68377C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

@sal4m4nd3rWelcome! Looks like a a super fun list. I think the biggest challenge will be keeping your big blob of 40 Arkanauts safe while still playing the objectives game. With only 4 units (not counting the heroes) you might struggle against armies that can out drop you and make a first turn charge, since Arkanauts die fast. Although if they go first, you can smash Gotrek into them when it's your turn!

4 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Greetings friends! I have happily joined your ranks! Very excited. I’m just GIDDY to get this built. While I get some ships, I’ll be adding gotrek so I can play some 2k games. Not sure I’ll win a lot but it sure as hell will be fun!!!

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist (140)
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Aetheric Navigator (80)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 

Grotrek (520)

Battleline
40 x Arkanaut Company (480)
- 12x Light Skyhooks

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

BFC24FE0-AB3F-4CE6-8166-E3124B68377C.jpeg

Pfffft, I’m the only ko player allowed in this community!

19 hours ago, WatcherintheWater said:

@sal4m4nd3rWelcome! Looks like a a super fun list. I think the biggest challenge will be keeping your big blob of 40 Arkanauts safe while still playing the objectives game. With only 4 units (not counting the heroes) you might struggle against armies that can out drop you and make a first turn charge, since Arkanauts die fast. Although if they go first, you can smash Gotrek into them when it's your turn!

Just super excited to dig myself into this warscrolls and lore. Picked up a battletome and 4 additional arkanauts with skyhooks for cheap. Once I get some games in for the initial honeymoon phase, I will be looking to build a competitive army.  Its there, I know it! Since Im up to my eyeballs in a sylvaneth painting commision, I have commissioned the build of the 70 dwarfs out to a buddy.  Its also my absolute LEAST favorite part of the hobby. So cant wait to get those back and get some paint on them! For now, I'm off to scour the interwebs for more skyhooks, and decide on a paint scheme!

See you boys and girls in the sky!

Edited by sal4m4nd3r

Didn't finish my Legions of Sacrament army in time and so I did a new battle report with trusty KO again. Fought Blades of Khorne: Goretide. It went surprisingly well! When reviewing the game afterward during editing, I wondered if I used the Urbaz ability correctly or not. Would love to know what you guys/gals think. It's a loosely worded rule, 'Where there's war, there's gold.' I also forgot to field my Knight Incantor ally...so that was my fault.

My two cents... There is a precariously set comma that makes me think it's read: one of your units within 3" can pile in and attack, or shoot as if the shooting phase. That comma makes me think the shooting is not tied to the 3". But I could easily be wrong!

Edited by Nicholunch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicholunch said:

My two cents... There is a precariously set comma that makes me think it's read: one of your units within 3" can pile in and attack, or shoot as if the shooting phase. That comma makes me think the shooting is not tied to the 3". But I could easily be wrong

Badly needs an FAQ. I've always played it as the shooting also has to be within 3", but it could really go either way. I just tend to default to using the less powerful version when it's a toss up. I actually think it might be a little too good otherwise.  If you buff the pistols & skyhooks on a unit of 40 Arkanauts it's putting out 48 Skyhook shots & 170 pistol shots that turn, which is insane!

If I was against an enemy that didn't have 3" reach in combat, I would sometimes put my 40 man  unit 2.5" behind the front of my screens to try and get within 3" while staying safe.

• Like 2

So, has anyone played around with the Gutstuffers Merc unit at all?

I am just starting a conversion project, using 40k Bullgryns as a base to make steampunk Gutstuffers.  I am doing this just for fun, but was wondering if anyone had gotten any real use out of them?

In theory, a multi-wound hitter unit, backed up by a legitimate wizard doesn't sound too bad.  Admittedly, losing that CP for the Merc tax does suck, though.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, mikethefish said:

In theory, a multi-wound hitter unit, backed up by a legitimate wizard doesn't sound too bad.  Admittedly, losing that CP for the Merc tax does suck, though

And The wizard, in its current form, doesn’t really add that much. If you want it for the dispel the runelord is a better ally. It’s offensive spell requires it to get into combat but even then doesn’t impact the game much. To be fair this is based on me trying it a couple of times in gutbusters and it not adding any worth that a 90 pts grot ally wouldn’t do better. 

Little addition to this would be Maneaters always performed very well for me. 

Edited by Kramer

On 9/24/2019 at 5:26 AM, Kramer said:

And The wizard, in its current form, doesn’t really add that much. If you want it for the dispel the runelord is a better ally. It’s offensive spell requires it to get into combat but even then doesn’t impact the game much. To be fair this is based on me trying it a couple of times in gutbusters and it not adding any worth that a 90 pts grot ally wouldn’t do better.

My own thought was to use the Firebelly to cast a reasonably useful Endless Spell, rather than use his native spell.

8 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

To my neophyte eyes, the geminids and maelstrom look like great additions to a KO army. 

The Maelstrom is always good, simply because it's cheap and brings more Unbinding.

I get that internet wisdom states that Geminids are basically auto-includes, but I'd not take them, personally.

They are harder to cast, at casting 7, and the Firebelly doesn't get a bonus.  They bring a nice amount of Mortal Wounds, certainly, but my KO cause plenty of ranged wounds just fine.  Seems kind of superfluous. 

Finally, they bring some nice de-buffs, but let's face facts - we are KO.  Whatever we have that gets charged in melee is going to be slaughtered, de-buffs or no.  

No, as I stated in an earlier post, in wargaming, armies that are shooting-based typically want stuff that is going to Control the enemy - slow them down, or force them to move a certain way.  Those are the spells I'd. E looking at, given access to wizards.

7 hours ago, mikethefish said:

The Maelstrom is always good, simply because it's cheap and brings more Unbinding.

I get that internet wisdom states that Geminids are basically auto-includes, but I'd not take them, personally.

They are harder to cast, at casting 7, and the Firebelly doesn't get a bonus.  They bring a nice amount of Mortal Wounds, certainly, but my KO cause plenty of ranged wounds just fine.  Seems kind of superfluous. 

Finally, they bring some nice de-buffs, but let's face facts - we are KO.  Whatever we have that gets charged in melee is going to be slaughtered, de-buffs or no.  

No, as I stated in an earlier post, in wargaming, armies that are shooting-based typically want stuff that is going to Control the enemy - slow them down, or force them to move a certain way.  Those are the spells I'd. E looking at, given access to wizards.

Good call! perhaps Shackles is a good one then. Palisade could prevent los for shooting, but as long placement is purposeful I suppose that's useful to! And it cant be moved, so it shouldnt backfire on us, unless they use it as cover. Anybody use the shackles-lite from forbidden power? 

On 9/25/2019 at 8:38 AM, mikethefish said:

Anything that is a Control spell.  Specifically stuff to jack up enemy movement, either by directly affecting the enemy (Shackles) or by simply being a bigass template that's hard to avoid if you can't fly (Palisade).

If they gave a buff to our own Navigator's Aetherstorm to affect non-fly units as well, that'd help with this a lot.

Me and @Azamar recently played a doubles tournament with both our kharadron forces. Which means I finally have 1000 points painted up ;)

I have to say what I learnt from it was that brokk is a beast and having an admiral alongside him meant things got wrecked in melee! I think some next steps for my army are adding skywardens with guns or some endrinriggers for some mobile objective grabbers / more firepower. And of course a third unit of arkanauts. 

Pics of the army I took during my game on Wednesday can be seen here: 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2