AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

On 8/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, WatcherintheWater said:

Awesome overview of the faction. Thanks for making it!

Also, shout out to the Aethercast Podcast mentioned in the video. It's a KO specific podcast, so I'm guessing many people on this forum would like it.

Agreed! Definitely work checking this podcast out... it's rock solid

Finally had my first proper game today! Guy I was playing with was super nice and helped me out. Also I lost pretty bad! But it's ok. I learned a lot.

I don't remember all of the details, but I'll relay them the best I can. I went with the list I described earlier. 10 Arks with Pikes, 10 with Volleys, 6 Riggers, 10 Thunderers with Rifles, Khemist, Frigate. I went up against Ironjaws.

3 objectives distributed evenly across the middle of the table. I had my Skypikes on the left, Riggers, Thunderers and Khemist in the middle, Frigate and Volleyguns on right. 

First turn or so went ok. He moved really slow so I just shot at his boys a bunch and did some decent damage while claiming objectives. Then he charged in and....well, orcs happened. By the end of turn 5 I had 1 model left and about half the points as my opponent. But I did still learn a bunch of lessons.

- My Frigate basically acted as a wall with guns and little more. I should have loaded the Volleyguns into the frigate to claim the right hand objective faster, rather than crawling up the two units together.

- I tried to get my Thunderers to support my Skypikes but didn't get them over in time and they got stuck in the middle and the Pikes unit got erased. I should have supported them better.

- I totally forgot how to do ANYTHING with command points so I was handicapped on that front.

Changes for my next outing

- Probably going to drop the frigate from my list, at least for now. I want to try to replace it with a Gunhauler. (I want to kitbash that new Space Marine walker and shove KO bits onto it. Dorf mech yes)

- I know it was only one game but...the Skypikes didn't help at all, and rolling a bajillion dice for Volleyguns is fun but not very effective unless maybe I'm shooting at a hero. So I might just have both units run with Skyhooks.

- Pick a better Skyport for my playstyle. Ziflin didn't do anything for me. Sure, it was vs Ironjaws and they had no flyers, but still. I also didn't use my boat nearly as well as I could have. Also actually keep all those abilities handy.

- Write down my command point abilities so they're easier to access. And, yanno, actually use the damn things

- See if I can include any Skywardens in. I'd still love to see those try to work, if only for the anti-charge damage.

Once I come up with a new list I'll share it with you guys. :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DavionStar said:

- Probably going to drop the frigate from my list, at least for now. 

- Pick a better Skyport for my playstyle. Ziflin didn't do anything for me. Sure, it was vs Ironjaws and they had no flyers, but still. I also didn't use my boat nearly as well as I could have. Also actually keep all those abilities handy.

- See if I can include any Skywardens in. I'd still love to see those try to work, if only for the anti-charge damage.

I think your set up didn’t help you get the most out of Zilfin and the frigate, so if you want to use them against some point, I would make the following suggestions:

The frigate is a transport, and best used to get stuff somewhere fast. The best thing about Zilfin is that it allows you to deepstrike a ship anywhere. Personally, given your list, I would put the khemist, thunderers, and the Riggers on the boat, deepstrike it buffing the riggers and sending them into combat, letting the thunderers give ranged support and drop your khemist back to buff them next turn. Having a frigate as a mobile wall at that point is useful, and all you can expect it to do after it’s delivered its payload. In a thousand points, this kind of strike can deal with your opponents biggest threat, leaving you to play from a position of strength. Volleyguns camp an objective, pike ‘Nauts go forward for one. If you need to split your forces slightly more evenly, then put the pikes in the boat instead of the thunderers, and let the thunderers and volleyguns form a slow moving gunline while your frigate drops melee troops.

Lastly, as a slightly separate point, I think riggers outperform wardens, generally. Persevere with them a bit, if they get a charge off when khemist buffed, they do a fair amount of damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frostfire said:

It seems like most of KO‘s firepower is depended on the Khemist. How do you usually keep him from being assassinated?

There isn't just one answer to this question. I usually use all what I have and even tailor a bit my list if I know the oponent:

• Use any "Obstacle" terrain to give him +1 save vs ranged.
  • Gryph-feather charm for -1hit for ranged attacks.
  • Allways near a blob of arkanauts (just make a blob around him to stop charges too) for -1 with "Look out Sir".
  • Take artefacts that block mortal wounds if you know that he will die to them (Ignax Scales for example).
  • Use whatever you have to block LoS from all possible threats.
  • Care for the position of your arkanauts. Dont give the enemy any chance to fly over your units and have enough space to put a base in front of your khemist.
  • Know if any unit have more than 3" pile in move or the range of any melee weapon (2"-3") and play trying to not get caught with a random flurry of whip attacks.
  • Use the "All-out Defence" Command Ability even if you think that your khemist have a chance to survive if get caught.
  • Take more than one Khemists...(sucks that our most powerful character has 4+ saves and 5 wounds).
  • If you know that the enemy use any magic-sniper trick, just use Knight Incantor to block "that" spell that can kill your khemist.
  • Pray to the dice gods!!!

Maybe other people can give you other tactics (my khemists seems to not be durable enough for my games).

On 8/15/2019 at 4:18 PM, Kramer said:

Absolutely nice write up, curious to see how your opponent played it that you got through turn 2 unscathed enough to go for both witch elves hit like a truck and you don’t have a big defensive ally in your list. Well played! 

Battle report is up!

I accidentally rolled a couple extra rail gun attacks in the first turn (they had grapnels, not railguns) but I think the rest was already overkill for the amount of sisters left in that small unit. I think I survived that turn 2 charge because my 20 unit block of arkanauts was sacrificed. He took out my two ballistas and 20 man block all in that turn. It was a significant hit to my force for sure, but not game ending.

And so you know, I'm actively converting my arkanaut special weapons to skyhooks. I'm gonna keep a few volleyguns just incase they get a little better in the near future or more useful for me. But decided to convert my skypikes to skyhooks with some old drakeguns I had around.

1981006565_skypikestoskyhooks.jpg.7b8679616fa7b366f67ea75727d03852.jpg

Ok, I've come up with a few lists for judgement. Every list has Khemist as General with the Earbuster and Rising Star. My additional Footnote is always "There's No Trading With Some People". I looked at the other options for these and felt like they were pretty much always the best with my list ideas. Feel free to critique as much as you want.

Strike from the Skies

Spoiler

1000 pts

Barak-Ziflin + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aether-Khemist: General, Aethershock Earbuster, Rising Star

Behemoth
Arkanaut Frigate: Heavy Sky Cannon

Battleline
10x Arkanaut Company: 3x Light Skyhooks, Volley Pistol

Other
6x Endrinriggers: Aethermatic Saw
10x Grundstok Thunderers: Rifles

This is the build I played with. Though I've built the list in Battlescribe with all the extra bits like the extra footnote, and the Khemist's artifact and trait. Next time I run this list I'll do as suggested and load up a Company, Khemist and Riggers in the boat to claim an objective, and possibly have the rifles and other Company move on another, depending on game mode.

Bang Bang

Spoiler

980 pts

Barak-Mhornar + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Artillery
Grundstok Gunhauler: Sky Cannon

Battleline

Other

1 Extra Command Point

It's pretty much the same list but without a transport. I was actually having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what to do with points in some of these builds. Had enough to buy an extra CP, but no extra bodies. This I'd probably play similar (but less dumb) to my game on Sunday.

Fyre in the Sky

Spoiler

990 pts

Barak-Thryng + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aetheric Navigator

Artillery

Battleline

Other
Vulkite Berzerkers: War-Picks and Slingshields

I wanted to see what I could do with some Fyreslayer allies. Brought the Berzerkers cause at this small a list I can't bring a hero and a unit. Navigator is in cause I had exactly 90 points left and it felt like a better choice than just 3 Sky Wardens. Pretty much the idea is that the Navi lets the Gunhauler zip around to go where it's needed. Get it out of fights or into them as needed. Vulkites supply a beefy wall.

Choose Axes, not Boats

Spoiler

1000 pts

Barak-Nar + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Fjul-Grimnir

Battleline

Other
The Chosen Axes

Pretty much threw this together when I had 200 points to play with and realized The Chosen Axes fill that in perfectly. No specific plan with this one. Just an idea.

2 hours ago, DavionStar said:

Ok, I've come up with a few lists for judgement. Every list has Khemist as General with the Earbuster and Rising Star. My additional Footnote is always "There's No Trading With Some People". I looked at the other options for these and felt like they were pretty much always the best with my list ideas. Feel free to critique as much as you want.

Strike from the Skies

Reveal hidden contents

1000 pts

Barak-Ziflin + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Behemoth
Arkanaut Frigate: Heavy Sky Cannon

Battleline

Other

This is the build I played with. Though I've built the list in Battlescribe with all the extra bits like the extra footnote, and the Khemist's artifact and trait. Next time I run this list I'll do as suggested and load up a Company, Khemist and Riggers in the boat to claim an objective, and possibly have the rifles and other Company move on another, depending on game mode.

Bang Bang

Reveal hidden contents

980 pts

Barak-Mhornar + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders

Artillery

Battleline

Other

1 Extra Command Point

It's pretty much the same list but without a transport. I was actually having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what to do with points in some of these builds. Had enough to buy an extra CP, but no extra bodies. This I'd probably play similar (but less dumb) to my game on Sunday.

Fyre in the Sky

Reveal hidden contents

990 pts

Barak-Thryng + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Aetheric Navigator

Artillery

Battleline

Other
Vulkite Berzerkers: War-Picks and Slingshields

I wanted to see what I could do with some Fyreslayer allies. Brought the Berzerkers cause at this small a list I can't bring a hero and a unit. Navigator is in cause I had exactly 90 points left and it felt like a better choice than just 3 Sky Wardens. Pretty much the idea is that the Navi lets the Gunhauler zip around to go where it's needed. Get it out of fights or into them as needed. Vulkites supply a beefy wall.

Choose Axes, not Boats

Reveal hidden contents

1000 pts

Barak-Nar + There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Fjul-Grimnir

Battleline

Other
The Chosen Axes

Pretty much threw this together when I had 200 points to play with and realized The Chosen Axes fill that in perfectly. No specific plan with this one. Just an idea.

I still like your first list best :)

The problem with a gunhauler, even though it got cheaper, is that it’s still just not that great on its own. It just won’t do much damage, and in your lists it doesn’t really have any other function. A wing is a more viable option, but not at 1k, and supporting an ironclad is also potentially an option, but again not really at 1k. 

I can’t speak for fyreslayers allies, as I don’t use them, but they do have some strengths we don’t; but I would say the chosen axes are too many points, especially at 1k. You need more bodies than that, especially if you’re going without boats. I’d prefer another 10 thunderers in that list. Similarly, I think you’d get more out of 5 thunderers than a navigator, in your vulkite list - mainly because your gunhauler isn’t going to be the linchpin you want it to be, I don’t think. Nice model though 😊 Let us know how you get on, whichever list you run next!

Edited by Baron Wastelands
  • Like 1

@DavionStar 

I'm with @Baron Wastelands. Gunhauler don't have damage, and for their points,i'ts better to double something (arkanauts, endrinriggers or thunderers).
The first lists seems good and fun, maybe I will switch rising star (only Arkanauts can use that ability, other units already have 7B too). Maybe I will switch Rising Star for Prospector and just chose a terrain near where the frigate will land to make everything inmune.

Ok i think i managed to salvage my ironclad my cutting the captain and signal dude free, so i can manage to reach everywhere with paint brushes without too much trouble.

Anyhow, a rules question.

Since my 1000 pts army consists of 20 arkanauts, a khemist, 6 endrinriggers and an ironclad, i can fit everything inside my ironclad for a 1 drop army.

If i play as Zilfin, and give my Ironclad the Aetherspheric Endrins, for deepstrike. Do i auto loose right away since i will have no units on the battlefield 1st turn?

Edited by ThePie

@Baron Wastelands @Beliman Thanks for the insight. I guess I just really wanted to try out the Gunhauler cause of the kitbash idea I'm going to do. So I might give it a shot anyway just to see how it works. I already have the parts so I may as well. Worst that happens is I lose but still have a cool model for my shelves. *shrugs*

Other ideas I have are, take the Ziflin list, replace the Frigate with 6 Skywardens. I know the Riggers are better, but they're too expensive in this case.

Or, beef up one company to 20 and have 2 units of 6 riggers.

Finally, normal size companies, 2 units of 6 riggers, and throw in a Knight-Incantor. I'll bash up a dorf to look like a steampunk runesmith or something. Then I can throw out Mystic Shields maybe.

Maybe it's the ADHD or something but I like having options so I'm not playing with the same list all the time, know what mean?

And @ThePie when I was building my Frigate, I kept the crew and 'balloons' separate. Painted them, then assembled once done. Worked wonders. Also when gluing my ship to the stand, I propped it up. Note the paint container holding up the back end. Just some advice for your next boat.

IMG_20190414_130215092.jpg

5 hours ago, DavionStar said:

@Baron Wastelands @Beliman Thanks for the insight. I guess I just really wanted to try out the Gunhauler cause of the kitbash idea I'm going to do. So I might give it a shot anyway just to see how it works. I already have the parts so I may as well. Worst that happens is I lose but still have a cool model for my shelves. *shrugs*

Other ideas I have are, take the Ziflin list, replace the Frigate with 6 Skywardens. I know the Riggers are better, but they're too expensive in this case.

If you have a kitbash idea, go for it 😁 Would love to see pictures.

Don’t take a Zilfin list without ships. There is no point. If you want to go without boats, take a different skyport.

2 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

If you have a kitbash idea, go for it 😁 Would love to see pictures.

Don’t take a Zilfin list without ships. There is no point. If you want to go without boats, take a different skyport.

Oh don't worry about that. I'll be showing progress once I get started. I wanna finish painting some of my 40k stuff first. And yeah, I'm thinking Mhornar or Thryng possibly for my shipless lists.

BTW, what is the name of the deep strike rule for Ziflin? I feel like I can't see it anywhere, but it wouldn't be the first time I was blind.

46 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

Oh don't worry about that. I'll be showing progress once I get started. I wanna finish painting some of my 40k stuff first. And yeah, I'm thinking Mhornar or Thryng possibly for my shipless lists.

BTW, what is the name of the deep strike rule for Ziflin? I feel like I can't see it anywhere, but it wouldn't be the first time I was blind.

.It's  not a rule, it's an endrinworks. It's on the Zilfin page where all the sky ports are. It's called Aetherspheric endrins.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Garamond said:

Does anyone use heavy skyhooks on their ships?

The ability to move closer seems interesting, but despite trying, I can't find a good use for it. Instead I always wish I had just taken the cannon for D6 damage.

I've always used the Cannon. The skyhook  is to undependable to make a plan that relies on it, while getting some extra damage is always useful. Even if it does an unsaved wound, you might roll a 1 or 2 for the movement. Two things that I think can help:

1. Unlike the Endrinrigger/Skywarden Grappnels, you don't have to move straight towards the enemy. You just have to end closer, so you can move diagonal or sideways.
  2. I think you can use it to move within 3" of an enemy (doesn't say you can't). This could be useful to get around opponent abilities that trigger when they get charged, like the Free People's shooting & counter charges. As long as you can survive one round of combat, you can tie something up this way.

The skyhook looks cooler though!

Edited by WatcherintheWater
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, WatcherintheWater said:

I've always used the Cannon. The skyhook  is to undependable to make a plan that relies on it, while getting some extra damage is always useful. Even if it does an unsaved wound, you might roll a 1 or 2 for the movement. Two things that I think can help:

1. Unlike the Endrinrigger/Skywarden Grappnels, you don't have to move straight towards the enemy. You just have to end closer, so you can move diagonal or sideways.
  2. I think you can use it to move within 3" of an enemy (doesn't say you can't). This could be useful to get around opponent abilities that trigger when they get charged, like the Free People's shooting & counter charges. As long as you can survive one round of combat, you can tie something up this way.

The skyhook looks cooler though!

The skyhook definitely looks better, which is why I want to use it so badly. I never thought about moving laterally! That could get the ship in a better blocking position. 

I've definitely used it to get within 3" to stop bloodcrushers charging, but that was probably the only time the hook has made any difference at all.

For the time being, I'll probably just use the cannon for the extra damage. 

I went to a local 3 game tournament a couple weeks ago and thought I would share my write up. I like to do these after going to an event, because it helps me think about the games, and what I can do to become a better player.

My List: Barak-Zilfin

Spoiler

Additional Footnotes: There’s no trading with some people & These are just guidelines

·       2x Khemists (general with Stickler for the Code and the Earbuster)

·       2x10 Arkanaut Company

·       40 Arkanaut Company

·       12 Endrinriggers w 3 Grapnels

·       1 Frigates (one with the deepstrike artifact) – deployed off the board with the Endrinriggers, 1 Khemist, and a small company every game.

·       30 Longbeards

Game 1 (Knife to the Heart)

Spoiler

Opponent’s List: Tallyband of Nurgle – Great Unclean One, 2 Plaguebearer heroes, 2x10 & 2x30 Plaguebearers, 3 Plague Drones, Tallyband Battalion (1 drop, heals heroes, and returns slain Plaguebearers)

Deployment: He dropped his whole army at once, putting the GUO, and his other heroes towards his left (all right/left from my perspective) corner near the objective, one unit big and one small unit of Plaguebearers on each side of them, and the Drones near the center of his side. I put my big Company and a small company on my objective, with one Khemist, and the Longbeards making a wall around them. Frigate in the sky

Summary: He took turn 1 and pushed his GUO forward, while spreading out the Plaguebearers to block out my deepstrike options. The Plaguebearer heroes followed along with the units to stay in buff range. No charges made. I dropped my frigate near his right board corner (only open spot that wasn’t behind my own lines). The big company shot off one of his small heroes and a drone, and my Endrinriggers grapneled closer to his objective and took out one of his small Plaguebearer units. I won the turn 2 roll, shot off the drones, and grapneled my Endrinriggers to his objective taking another of his heroes down to 1 wound left, and destroying most of one of his big Plaguebearer units. In his turn he had to move back to his objectives, but through magic, the GUO, and remaining Plaguebearers was able to do enough to battleshock off my Endrinriggers.

I gave him turn 3. He charged one large and one small Plaguebearer unit into the Longbeards, where they got stuck the rest of the game., and summoned some new units to block off his objective. At this point it looked unlikely that either of us could get a major win, so I shot all my skyhooks into his GUO, but left it on just a couple wounds left. He won the turn 4 roll, and ran most of his stuff away from me, but couldn’t get enough targets out of range, so I just had to shoot down one hero to take the minor, since there wasn’t time left for round 5. Minor Win

Takeaways:

·       Not sure how I could have gotten a major here. His army just had too many bodies, and too much durability for me to take his objective unless he decided to play really agressively. However, that also meant that he didn’t have enough punch to get through my lines, and I had more than enough shooting to get the minor on kill points.

·       I probably didn’t need to go for the GUO on turn 3. It was too tough to bring down in one round, and had a ton of healing. Would have been better to just take out his small units & heroes.

Game 2 (Total Conquest)

Spoiler

Opponent’s List: Slaanesh – 2 Keeper of Secrets, 3 Heroes on Chariots, Contorted Epitome, 3x5 Hellstrider Calvary, all the heroes were part of a battalion that gave him extra depravity points.

Deployment: He put his everything right on his front line, Keepers to my right with one unit of cavalry, Chariots, the rest of the cavalry and the Epitome towards my left. I strung my longbeards out one inch off the line, put a small company on my left objective, the big company on my right with a Khemist, and my loaded Frigate in the sky.

Summary: He took the turn, pushed everything forward, and made a bunch of long charges (some of which I think he shouldn’t have been able to make), getting both Keepers, 2 Chariots, and 2 units of cavalry into my Longbeards, and whipping them out, but he did leave his back left objective unclaimed. I dropped my ship behind him to the right, and shot off both keepers, rearranged my small company to block some of his units from getting to my big company next turn, and got the Endrinriggers into his calvary unit on his right objective, taking them out and claiming it.

He won the turn 2 roll, charged 2 of his chariots into my big Arkanaut unit, and between that and magic took out 30 or so, but I was able to remove casualties in such a way that only one chariot got to attack (cost me half my skyhooks though). The rest of his units destroyed the small company on near my left objective. In my turn, I moved my Frigate into position to take his unclaimed objective in the following turn. I moved my Endrinriggers over to help try and help what remained of the big company shoot off his 2 closest chariots, killed one, and charged the other with my Endrinriggers. Luckily, he failed his roll to make me fight last, and they took out the remaining one. I was actually up on VPs at this point, but he won the priority roll, killed my Endrinriggers, and the Khemist in my deployment zone, summoned on a Keeper which charged and destroyed my Arkanauts and Khemist that had dropped with the Frigate (taking that objective), and summoned a chariot onto his still unclaimed objective. We called it at that point, since he had 3 objectives, and I had almost nothing left to take them back with. Major Loss

Takeaways:

·       When you set up, make sure you measure how far is between your units and your opponents, and know how far apart they should be based on the scenario. This was my biggest takeaway from the tournament. That way, you should know exactly what your opponent needs to make a turn 1 charge. For example in this scenario, the closes units can start is just under 23”, so if I put my furthest forward units 1” off my front line, and he moves 14” (most of his stuff did), he should need a 10 to charge me. However, when he he actually measured how far he needed to complete the charge it was only 8” (and he rolled a bunch of 8s & 9s). This means that one of us set our deployment further than we should have or he accidentally moved a little more than 14” in his move phase. Not saying any of this was intentional. It’s easy to just be off by an inch or two when you deploy and move, and it could have been me who set up my zone wrong. If I had known the scenario specifications and measured how far away he was during deployment all that could have been avoided.

·       Against an army this fast, you have to be more thoughtful of how to deploy. What I should have done is dropped my Longbeards just over 26” away from him, meaning that he couldn’t get a turn 1 charge. Since I know he can’t make it on turn 1, I could put my big Company unit right behind them, and get Skyhooks in range (with their 4” move) if he gave me turn 1.

Game 3 (Focal Points)

Spoiler

Opponent’s List: Slaanesh – 2 Keeper of Secrets, Contorted Epitome, Infernal Enrapturess, & 3x30 Deamonettes

Deployment: I spread out across his deployment zone, from my left to right, he had, 2 units of Deamonettes, a Keeper, The Epitome, another Keeper, Deamonettes, Enrapturess. I put my Longbeards just over 6” off my front line, so that with the terrain in the way he couldn’t get a turn 1 charge, small company behind them near the left objective, big company similarly positioned by the right with the Khemist, Frigate in the sky.

Summary: I gave him the turn, and he just rearranged his line to get out of 28” Skyhook range. I moved up my Longbeards to position to score the center objective next turn, move the Companies forward to take my 2 objectives and get into shooting range next turn, and dropped my frigate and piled everything out 9” away from the right side of his line. That group shot off his Enrapturess, and the Endrinriggers charged the flank of his Deamonette unit, staying out of range of his Keeper fight last debuff. Between combat and battleshock they destroyed the Deamonettes, and scored that objective (4-2). He won the turn 2 roll (he won all the priority rolls this game), killed my Endrinriggers with magic & his two Keepers, and sent everything else surging forward, getting his Epitome near the middle objective. I shot off both keepers, ran my Longbeards into range of the middle objective, and pushed my Frigate, Khemist, & Company that started in the boat to re-take his right objective (10-6).

He summoned a new keeper 9” away from my units on his right objective, but failed the charge. Both remaining Deamonette units went into my Longbeards, with some slipping through the 1” gaps in their line to attack my other small Company, killing over half the Longbeards and a couple Arkanauts, and taking my left objective. In my turn I retreated the survivors arranging them into a line to prevent him from getting his big units into my big company. My Frigate moved 26” onto his left objective, while my other small Company & Khemist got situated on his right objective. I wanted to get rid of his remaining 2 Heroes (Keeper & Epitome), but left the Keeper on 4 wounds remaining (16-8). He charged his big units into my last screen, taking out my remaining small company, and leaving me with just a few Longbeards left. His Keeper charged my Khemist & Company on his right objective, but thanks to the Khemist debuff, left one Arkanaut and the Khemist still alive and holding the objective. In my turn I just had to do a little retreating onto objectives to go up by more points than he could score on turn 5 even, so we called it. Major Win

Takeaways:

·       Don’t be afraid of retreating, especially if you can retreat to keep your screens alive a little longer, or get onto objectives. I think I made 5 retreats in this game.

·       One thing to be aware of is where summoning can happen. I could probably have been a little more precise with placing my units to make it tougher for him to summon a unit and charge onto the objective even if they make the 9” roll.

Final thoughts:

Spoiler

·       2 wins & 1 loss. Finished 5th of 12.

·       Still not sure about what artefact is best. Didn’t use the Earbuster successfully once. I might try the command point re-generation one next.

·       Precise deployment is vital vs fast armies.

·       When my game 3 opponent charged my Longbeards, and then piled his Deamonettes through the 1” gaps between models, I realized I could do the same with my Arkanauts & Longbeards. That opens some interesting options during deployment. For example, if you knew your opponent couldn’t make a turn 1 charge, you could actually deploy the big Arkanaut unit in front of the longbeards, and move them through on turn 1 to bubblewrap.

·       12 Endrinriggers feels like a little overkill. 9 would probably do almost as well. Not sure what I would replace them with though.  I don't really want to increase my drops, or I might try a Knight Azyros.  3 shooty Endrinriggers or Skywardens to pop out of the ship and then scatter towards objectives while taking lucky shots at heroes might be useful.

·       Only remembered to take pictures of my 1st and 3rd games. Both pictures taken some time during turn 1.

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1693.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, ThePie said:

Ok i think i managed to salvage my ironclad my cutting the captain and signal dude free, so i can manage to reach everywhere with paint brushes without too much trouble.

Anyhow, a rules question.

Since my 1000 pts army consists of 20 arkanauts, a khemist, 6 endrinriggers and an ironclad, i can fit everything inside my ironclad for a 1 drop army.

If i play as Zilfin, and give my Ironclad the Aetherspheric Endrins, for deepstrike. Do i auto loose right away since i will have no units on the battlefield 1st turn?

No unless the scenario specifies a win condition of grabbing all objectives and your opponent grabs them all before you set up. 

Just to note. AoS doesn’t have a win condition of wiping out your opponent. You can wipe me out turn three but we’ll still play through to the last turn to see if you get more victory points than me. 

Map it’s perfectly possible to be wiped of the map but still win. (And it happens a lot, especially with more aggressive armies)

On 9/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, WatcherintheWater said:

I went to a local 3 game tournament a couple weeks ago and thought I would share my write up. I like to do these after going to an event, because it helps me think about the games, and what I can do to become a better player.

My List: Barak-Zilfin

Hide contents

Additional Footnotes: There’s no trading with some people & These are just guidelines

·       2x Khemists (general with Stickler for the Code and the Earbuster)

·       2x10 Arkanaut Company

·       40 Arkanaut Company

·       12 Endrinriggers w 3 Grapnels

·       1 Frigates (one with the deepstrike artifact) – deployed off the board with the Endrinriggers, 1 Khemist, and a small company every game.

·       30 Longbeards

Game 1 (Knife to the Heart)

Hide contents

Opponent’s List: Tallyband of Nurgle – Great Unclean One, 2 Plaguebearer heroes, 2x10 & 2x30 Plaguebearers, 3 Plague Drones, Tallyband Battalion (1 drop, heals heroes, and returns slain Plaguebearers)

Deployment: He dropped his whole army at once, putting the GUO, and his other heroes towards his left (all right/left from my perspective) corner near the objective, one unit big and one small unit of Plaguebearers on each side of them, and the Drones near the center of his side. I put my big Company and a small company on my objective, with one Khemist, and the Longbeards making a wall around them. Frigate in the sky

Summary: He took turn 1 and pushed his GUO forward, while spreading out the Plaguebearers to block out my deepstrike options. The Plaguebearer heroes followed along with the units to stay in buff range. No charges made. I dropped my frigate near his right board corner (only open spot that wasn’t behind my own lines). The big company shot off one of his small heroes and a drone, and my Endrinriggers grapneled closer to his objective and took out one of his small Plaguebearer units. I won the turn 2 roll, shot off the drones, and grapneled my Endrinriggers to his objective taking another of his heroes down to 1 wound left, and destroying most of one of his big Plaguebearer units. In his turn he had to move back to his objectives, but through magic, the GUO, and remaining Plaguebearers was able to do enough to battleshock off my Endrinriggers.

I gave him turn 3. He charged one large and one small Plaguebearer unit into the Longbeards, where they got stuck the rest of the game., and summoned some new units to block off his objective. At this point it looked unlikely that either of us could get a major win, so I shot all my skyhooks into his GUO, but left it on just a couple wounds left. He won the turn 4 roll, and ran most of his stuff away from me, but couldn’t get enough targets out of range, so I just had to shoot down one hero to take the minor, since there wasn’t time left for round 5. Minor Win

Takeaways:

·       Not sure how I could have gotten a major here. His army just had too many bodies, and too much durability for me to take his objective unless he decided to play really agressively. However, that also meant that he didn’t have enough punch to get through my lines, and I had more than enough shooting to get the minor on kill points.

·       I probably didn’t need to go for the GUO on turn 3. It was too tough to bring down in one round, and had a ton of healing. Would have been better to just take out his small units & heroes.

Game 2 (Total Conquest)

Hide contents

Opponent’s List: Slaanesh – 2 Keeper of Secrets, 3 Heroes on Chariots, Contorted Epitome, 3x5 Hellstrider Calvary, all the heroes were part of a battalion that gave him extra depravity points.

Deployment: He put his everything right on his front line, Keepers to my right with one unit of cavalry, Chariots, the rest of the cavalry and the Epitome towards my left. I strung my longbeards out one inch off the line, put a small company on my left objective, the big company on my right with a Khemist, and my loaded Frigate in the sky.

Summary: He took the turn, pushed everything forward, and made a bunch of long charges (some of which I think he shouldn’t have been able to make), getting both Keepers, 2 Chariots, and 2 units of cavalry into my Longbeards, and whipping them out, but he did leave his back left objective unclaimed. I dropped my ship behind him to the right, and shot off both keepers, rearranged my small company to block some of his units from getting to my big company next turn, and got the Endrinriggers into his calvary unit on his right objective, taking them out and claiming it.

He won the turn 2 roll, charged 2 of his chariots into my big Arkanaut unit, and between that and magic took out 30 or so, but I was able to remove casualties in such a way that only one chariot got to attack (cost me half my skyhooks though). The rest of his units destroyed the small company on near my left objective. In my turn, I moved my Frigate into position to take his unclaimed objective in the following turn. I moved my Endrinriggers over to help try and help what remained of the big company shoot off his 2 closest chariots, killed one, and charged the other with my Endrinriggers. Luckily, he failed his roll to make me fight last, and they took out the remaining one. I was actually up on VPs at this point, but he won the priority roll, killed my Endrinriggers, and the Khemist in my deployment zone, summoned on a Keeper which charged and destroyed my Arkanauts and Khemist that had dropped with the Frigate (taking that objective), and summoned a chariot onto his still unclaimed objective. We called it at that point, since he had 3 objectives, and I had almost nothing left to take them back with. Major Loss

Takeaways:

·       When you set up, make sure you measure how far is between your units and your opponents, and know how far apart they should be based on the scenario. This was my biggest takeaway from the tournament. That way, you should know exactly what your opponent needs to make a turn 1 charge. For example in this scenario, the closes units can start is just under 23”, so if I put my furthest forward units 1” off my front line, and he moves 14” (most of his stuff did), he should need a 10 to charge me. However, when he he actually measured how far he needed to complete the charge it was only 8” (and he rolled a bunch of 8s & 9s). This means that one of us set our deployment further than we should have or he accidentally moved a little more than 14” in his move phase. Not saying any of this was intentional. It’s easy to just be off by an inch or two when you deploy and move, and it could have been me who set up my zone wrong. If I had known the scenario specifications and measured how far away he was during deployment all that could have been avoided.

·       Against an army this fast, you have to be more thoughtful of how to deploy. What I should have done is dropped my Longbeards just over 26” away from him, meaning that he couldn’t get a turn 1 charge. Since I know he can’t make it on turn 1, I could put my big Company unit right behind them, and get Skyhooks in range (with their 4” move) if he gave me turn 1.

Game 3 (Focal Points)

Hide contents

Opponent’s List: Slaanesh – 2 Keeper of Secrets, Contorted Epitome, Infernal Enrapturess, & 3x30 Deamonettes

Deployment: I spread out across his deployment zone, from my left to right, he had, 2 units of Deamonettes, a Keeper, The Epitome, another Keeper, Deamonettes, Enrapturess. I put my Longbeards just over 6” off my front line, so that with the terrain in the way he couldn’t get a turn 1 charge, small company behind them near the left objective, big company similarly positioned by the right with the Khemist, Frigate in the sky.

Summary: I gave him the turn, and he just rearranged his line to get out of 28” Skyhook range. I moved up my Longbeards to position to score the center objective next turn, move the Companies forward to take my 2 objectives and get into shooting range next turn, and dropped my frigate and piled everything out 9” away from the right side of his line. That group shot off his Enrapturess, and the Endrinriggers charged the flank of his Deamonette unit, staying out of range of his Keeper fight last debuff. Between combat and battleshock they destroyed the Deamonettes, and scored that objective (4-2). He won the turn 2 roll (he won all the priority rolls this game), killed my Endrinriggers with magic & his two Keepers, and sent everything else surging forward, getting his Epitome near the middle objective. I shot off both keepers, ran my Longbeards into range of the middle objective, and pushed my Frigate, Khemist, & Company that started in the boat to re-take his right objective (10-6).

He summoned a new keeper 9” away from my units on his right objective, but failed the charge. Both remaining Deamonette units went into my Longbeards, with some slipping through the 1” gaps in their line to attack my other small Company, killing over half the Longbeards and a couple Arkanauts, and taking my left objective. In my turn I retreated the survivors arranging them into a line to prevent him from getting his big units into my big company. My Frigate moved 26” onto his left objective, while my other small Company & Khemist got situated on his right objective. I wanted to get rid of his remaining 2 Heroes (Keeper & Epitome), but left the Keeper on 4 wounds remaining (16-8). He charged his big units into my last screen, taking out my remaining small company, and leaving me with just a few Longbeards left. His Keeper charged my Khemist & Company on his right objective, but thanks to the Khemist debuff, left one Arkanaut and the Khemist still alive and holding the objective. In my turn I just had to do a little retreating onto objectives to go up by more points than he could score on turn 5 even, so we called it. Major Win

Takeaways:

·       Don’t be afraid of retreating, especially if you can retreat to keep your screens alive a little longer, or get onto objectives. I think I made 5 retreats in this game.

·       One thing to be aware of is where summoning can happen. I could probably have been a little more precise with placing my units to make it tougher for him to summon a unit and charge onto the objective even if they make the 9” roll.

Final thoughts:

Hide contents

·       2 wins & 1 loss. Finished 5th of 12.

·       Still not sure about what artefact is best. Didn’t use the Earbuster successfully once. I might try the command point re-generation one next.

·       Precise deployment is vital vs fast armies.

·       When my game 3 opponent charged my Longbeards, and then piled his Deamonettes through the 1” gaps between models, I realized I could do the same with my Arkanauts & Longbeards. That opens some interesting options during deployment. For example, if you knew your opponent couldn’t make a turn 1 charge, you could actually deploy the big Arkanaut unit in front of the longbeards, and move them through on turn 1 to bubblewrap.

·       12 Endrinriggers feels like a little overkill. 9 would probably do almost as well. Not sure what I would replace them with though.  I don't really want to increase my drops, or I might try a Knight Azyros.  3 shooty Endrinriggers or Skywardens to pop out of the ship and then scatter towards objectives while taking lucky shots at heroes might be useful.

·       Only remembered to take pictures of my 1st and 3rd games. Both pictures taken some time during turn 1.

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1693.jpg

Man your second game really reads like "Yeah I was winning pretty solidly until my opponent got a free 360 points". That's almost 20 percent more points than you are even allowed to bring. That's bloody nuts. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 10:14 PM, stratigo said:

Man your second game really reads like "Yeah I was winning pretty solidly until my opponent got a free 360 points". That's almost 20 percent more points than you are even allowed to bring. That's bloody nuts. 

Slaanesh summoning is really good. I think it is the best there is currently. We have the tools to take out heroes as efficiently as any army in the game, but if your opponent is running max heroes (like pretty much every decent Slaanesh list does), you pretty much need a double turn to get them all, because he can keep bringing new ones on! It requires us to be really thoughtful with deployment and movement to make sure they can't summon onto objectives. 

Edited by WatcherintheWater