AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

I'm thinking Skywardens will be strongest in a Meeting Engagement as small units with ranged weapons. I like Riggers a lot too, but if you're not using skyvessels then you can't use the repair ability. Unless you are going to hangout and repair a vessel, Skywardens are probably a better ranged unit. 

19 hours ago, Nick907 said:

I'm thinking Skywardens will be strongest in a Meeting Engagement as small units with ranged weapons. I like Riggers a lot too, but if you're not using skyvessels then you can't use the repair ability. Unless you are going to hangout and repair a vessel, Skywardens are probably a better ranged unit. 

IMO, both have diferent functions.

On the Spearhead, I feel that skywardens have an earlier impact with 12" movement+24" drills and volleys but you will need to sacrifice thel grapnel for that. Urbaz khemist can buff both units for a 4 drill cannon shoots but I like to play Mhornar/Thryng and I usually only bring a hero that can block spells (Knight Incantor/ Runelord)  but maybe I will try that... 2 Endrinrigger units with 8 saw atacks have a bit more punch but the oponent can deny any charge by just not moving past 12". Another option is to bring 1 grapnel for both units (so 3 saw atacks for both) for a 50/50 option to charge but I'm not sure about that... it could be really fun.

I don't know how good they are in the Mainbody, never played with them.

On the the Rearguard, I think that Endrinriggers are the ones that can go with 1 or even 2 grapnels without losing to much punch or have enough flexibility to be split in two units to support/heal an skyvessel and still do damage. A Khemist buffing 6 Endrinriggers  is really scary in a low points game btw.

Edited by Beliman

That makes sense, I have one 'Slayer' themed unit of Riggers with saws for melee, but my other 6 units are all ranged. Wardens are just as strong at longer ranges, so I might buy another box of models and make a few Custodians. The good thing about the multi-kit that shares special weapons is that I can use the ranged models for either type of unit! 

• LOVE IT! 1

10 hours ago, Amradiel said:

How are we after the ghb19? Still bad? 😊

Vs tier 1 and below, I think that we are fine (frigate+thunderes+khemist is still the most fun list to play!!!!). Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, no problem here.
Vs Tier S, I got desroyed turn 1 vs FEC... two times. I conseded both games, and I will not play him with the same army anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Entombet said:

And we could not do it in aos1?

We've always been able to shoot spellcasters but now that the top lists are summoning-heavy our ability to snip is a more valuable tactic. That doesn't mean we will win all the big tournaments, but we are considered a 'hard counter' to that playstyle. 

So I came in 3rd place in a Meeting Engagement tournament today.  Would have taken first if I had beaten the Idoneth Deepkin, but I lost the priority roll for turn 3 and things went south quickly haha. I tabled some Skaven in my second game. Biggest trouble came from the Hedonites, I couldn't get the Keeper of Secrets in range of my guns, but then it moved/ran/charged 36+ inches and took out my Ironclad with a double combat activation. The boat almost made it. Overall a great event! 

Spearhead: 10x Company w/volleyguns
Mainbody: Endrinmaster, Ironclad, 3xRiggers w/guns, 3xRiggers w/guns
Rearguard: 10x Company w/volleyguns
980pts

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 7/20/2019 at 10:26 PM, Nick907 said:

So I came in 3rd place in a Meeting Engagement tournament today.  Would have taken first if I had beaten the Idoneth Deepkin, but I lost the priority roll for turn 3 and things went south quickly haha. I tabled some Skaven in my second game. Biggest trouble came from the Hedonites, I couldn't get the Keeper of Secrets in range of my guns, but then it moved/ran/charged 36+ inches and took out my Ironclad with a double combat activation. The boat almost made it. Overall a great event! 

Spearhead: 10x Company w/volleyguns
Mainbody: Endrinmaster, Ironclad, 3xRiggers w/guns, 3xRiggers w/guns
Rearguard: 10x Company w/volleyguns
980pts

Interesting!

Can you tell me more about why you picked the split you did for the main body? I've basically not played the Endrinmaster in ages, what was the motivation? Also, what skyport and stuff were you running?

Thanks for the intel; glad to hear you did well.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Reinholt said:

Can you tell me more about why you picked the split you did for the main body? I've basically not played the Endrinmaster in ages, what was the motivation? Also, what skyport and stuff were you running?

Mainbody is all about the ship! The Endrinmaster can repair d3 damage and the riggers can repair too. I went with a custom skyport. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 12:33 AM, Nick907 said:

Mainbody is all about the ship! The Endrinmaster can repair d3 damage and the riggers can repair too. I went with a custom skyport. 

Your list is illegal, I'm sorry to say.  Main Body requires a minimum of one Battle Line.  Shouldn't be too hard to shuffle things though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hey!

Want to start a KO army as I love the Ironclad model.

Do you think if it is possible to build a competitive list at 1000 pts (for single and double games also) with an Ironclad model?

Thanks a lot !

At 1000 pts?  No I don't think you can make a competitive list with an Ironclad at that level.  200 pts?  Certainly.  But I wouldn't field them in lower pt value games than that.  Better to look at Frigates or Gunhaulers at the 1000 pt level

8 hours ago, Rahxephon said:

Has anyone had any plans with the upcoming free cities book? I never tried with the old firestorm rules, nor know if they'd be similar rules to then but pretty interested to see what we could do. Have always wanted to run some free guild with KO.

hard to have plans when not knowing what to expect!

I already run stormcast with my KO so hoping there is something there that makes them better then current KO allegiance abilities lol

I'm going to a local 3 game tournament this weekend and deciding between these two lists. It's going to be fought in the realms (Fire & Death), with a random set of scenarios:

Urbaz Gunline - Idea is that the Maraudes give you bodies to claim objectives during turn 1&2 and block out people from getting to the damage dealing units (Arkanauts, and Balloons).  This list has a lot of firepower, buffs from the Khemists, and a lot of bodies. The Incantor also gives you a crucial auto-dispel & access to the realm spells. However, it's pretty stationary, and high drop. Also you lose the turn 1 command point. And my marauders aren't painted.

• 2 Khemists
  • 2x10 & 1x40 Arkanauts
  • 9 Endrinriggers (2 or 3 with Grappnels)
  • 9 Skywardens
  • 40 Marauders
  • Knight Incantor

Zilfin Dropship - The deepstrike & Frigate makes objective grabbing way easier, and you still have the 2 units that hit really hard. Also only 4-5 drops, so you probably get to choose turn 1 order half the time. However, the Zilfin footnote isn't nearly as good as Urbaz, and you miss out on the magic (casting and defense).

• 2 Khemists
  • 1 Frigate
  • 2x10 & 1x40 Arkanauts
  • 12 Endrinriggers (3 Grappnels)
  • 40 Dwarf Warriors

I'll probably take the 2nd list because it's all Dwarfs & is fully painted, but I think the first is probably more powerful. What do you guys think?

• Like 2

I just had a thought which makes me very excited for the new cities book. All battletomes have warscrolls of units that can be in the allegiance, so wouldn’t this book have the KO scrolls? And if so warscrolls that are updated for 2.0?? Like how the profiteers skywarden has 3 attacks and arknaughts has 4+ save.

23 minutes ago, nine7six said:

I just had a thought which makes me very excited for the new cities book. All battletomes have warscrolls of units that can be in the allegiance, so wouldn’t this book have the KO scrolls? And if so warscrolls that are updated for 2.0?? Like how the profiteers skywarden has 3 attacks and arknaughts has 4+ save.

Wouldn't count on it. Also my book has no more space for post-its with rule changes ;) 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

no!

Page 59 of the Fyreslayer book states that "Fyreslayers Priests in a Fyreslayers army can summon magmic invocations." A Fyreslayers army is defined as an army using Fyreslayer allegiance.

:( 

That’s so weird! 1. Endless spells don’t have that stipulation anywhere as far as I know and 2. That limitation isn’t there on the warscroll.

So unless I actually buy the book I’m not running into that limitation. Which is weird as the warscrolls are free to use.

the only counter argument I would have is that your quote doesn’t literally limit the invocation use to fyreslayer priests in a fyreslayer army. It only says they are allowed, so it could be just a weird choice of words.

Nothing specific in the fyreslayer errata or commentary 

DEED006D-0E1D-4199-B2BA-6053F4362CCB.png.1b00adb3d8b17ff219b5a37f81edd790.png

Edited by Kramer

21 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

no!

Page 59 of the Fyreslayer book states that "Fyreslayers Priests in a Fyreslayers army can summon magmic invocations." A Fyreslayers army is defined as an army using Fyreslayer allegiance.

It's a bit weird. Endless spells, magmic invocations, Judgements, ... time to make the rules clear!!!

30 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It's a bit weird. Endless spells, magmic invocations, Judgements, ... time to make the rules clear!!!

I think it's that endless spells are part of the game's core mechanics and magmic invocations and the Khorne thingimies have rules that are explained in their respective armies' allegiance abilities. Does feel like an extra layer of bureaucracy mind, all to say that dwarfs and Khorne don't have wizards! ;) 

• Thanks 1