AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

There's a couple of issues I see with KO that could use a bit of help.

1 - A new unit of sturdy, melee only fighters. So many of the KO units have both melee and ranged options. Which makes them pretty good at both...but not excellent at either. Also they're kinda squishy. It'd be nice if we could get some kind of Hammerer or Ironbreaker analogue specialty unit.

2 - Given that, if I understand the rules right, you can't move, then disembark in the same turn, it makes it so we have to give up a chunk of our points just to make use of the transports. Also makes any embarked units vulnerable. So what would help is if embarked units boost or even add abilities to the boats. Like adding to the boat's attacks or adding totally additional ones. Like:

• Thunderers can shoot, maybe at reduced range
  • Riggers and Wardens can Melee (Skypikes get reduced range though)
  • Companies can melee but only on retaliatory strikes.

And maybe alter/buff what heroes can do while embarked. Just to make it so those units aren't "gone" for that turn while they're moving. Maybe to balance, only one unit and one hero can have their effect be active or something.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Djoblo said:

And what about a Navigator that actually Navigate onboard? 

If you use the garrison rules, the Navigator can happily navigate (and dispel, and shoot, and fight) from the comfort and safety of an Ironclad.  

I tried it out once; the navigator went from being a useless points sink to an incredibly viable force multiplier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

If you use the garrison rules, the Navigator can happily navigate (and dispel, and shoot, and fight) from the comfort and safety of an Ironclad.  

I tried it out once; the navigator went from being a useless points sink to an incredibly viable force multiplier.

Woaw wow wow Garrison rules? what is this sorcery i never heard of?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Djoblo said:

Woaw wow wow Garrison rules? what is this sorcery i never heard of?

You can find them in the Core Rules, near the bottom.  If you use them (treating a ship as a terrain feature that only Overlords can garrison) the difference is unbelievable.  20 arkanauts shooting/fighting out of an ironclad is very nasty.

It does mean that your garrisoned troops are shootable the whole way down the field, making hiding characters within the frigates next to pointless (+1 to save from cover and -1 to be hit but you'll get mortal wounded out by serious enemies). It would grant better utility and combat potential to the garrisoned units at the high cost of survivability.

50 minutes ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

You can find them in the Core Rules, near the bottom.  If you use them (treating a ship as a terrain feature that only Overlords can garrison) the difference is unbelievable.  20 arkanauts shooting/fighting out of an ironclad is very nasty.

Ok ok found it... but that's isn't a valable option at the moment right? I mean, i can't show up at a tournament and declaring that my Clad or frigate is Garrisoned right? Don't tease me with such dream speculation my heart can't handle it.   

ps: Speaking of survivability of KO heroes is much useless. As soon as you meet "speel caster" army like DoT, LoN, even DoK and other. You lost them. Kharadron heroes are spell magnet. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Djoblo said:

ps: Speaking of survivability of KO heroes is much useless. As soon as you meet "speel caster" army like DoT, LoN, even DoK and other. You lost them. Kharadron heroes are spell magnet. 

and to add insult to injury they FAQ'd the artifact that lets you unbind on 3D6 and instead it only gives you and extra spell you can unbind.....

give me 1 unbind on 3D6 any day over 2 chances.

26 minutes ago, nine7six said:

and to add insult to injury they FAQ'd the artifact that lets you unbind on 3D6 and instead it only gives you and extra spell you can unbind.....

give me 1 unbind on 3D6 any day over 2 chances.

I can't wait until we finally got our Endless spell. 

oh wait.

Edited by Djoblo

1 hour ago, Djoblo said:

Ok ok found it... but that's isn't a valable option at the moment right? I mean, i can't show up at a tournament and declaring that my Clad or frigate is Garrisoned right? Don't tease me with such dream speculation my heart can't handle it.   

Yeah unfortunately it would be strictly for friendly games...for now...but the hope is that in future it becomes official. 

11 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

Yeah unfortunately it would be strictly for friendly games...for now...but the hope is that in future it becomes official. 

We really need to start a 'Kharadron wishlisting/fixing' topic, so much discussion in here about stuff that isnt current rules and its not often obvious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Benkei said:

All Grand Alliances, not necessarily all factions, although it's probable 

I mean it's pretty clear that they will eventually replace all 1st edition books.  The question being exactly how eventual the "eventually" part of that sentence is.  We might have a long wait.

27 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

Seeing the not-endless spells of Khorne, I can picture that KO will get some not-endless spells as well. Maybe something like a bombardment or stuff like that.

But I'm eager to get an updated KO book!

Bombardment is possible, but I don't see that as a model that stays on the board turn after turn.

Personally I am thinking some kind of weird weather effect, and some sort of aerial monster that randomly attacks stuff - like the Megalofin that keeps getting mentioned in the fluff

1 hour ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

'Endless Weather!'

I'm excited.  For a new book, and the Warband too.

If we do get a new book we may get a single model or two too like Khorne did as well as the spells and terrain. On top of the warband this would make me a happy KO player for a few years. 

3 hours ago, Barkanaut said:

If we do get a new book we may get a single model or two too like Khorne did as well as the spells and terrain. On top of the warband this would make me a happy KO player for a few years. 

I mean if the stuff we actually have were to work effectively, I think that would satisfy most people.

I can think of a couple new units to add to the range, but all's I really want is a more balanced army

For now sure, but someday nope I want more to paint. I want a fully fleshed out army that would look cool in a total war game. I want this for most armies too. The unit roster is so small right now it would be hard to do a grand strategy/rts hybrid game since there is no progression in the army it feels too small. Most armies do but TW had 30 years. We'll catch up. On the other hand I think it would be cool to allow more mixed armies in a theoretical TW Sigmar game so super large rosters might not be needed as much if you can ally in dwarves from other factions and to an even lesser extent order factions just like the TT and lore. Still a bit more variety per faction will be needed even for this. About... 20-25 units would be just perfect. Some smaller or larger factions can exist too naturally since the allies system is in place in game too. 

10 hours ago, eciu said:

Btw. Khorne just got their "totally not endless spelss" endless spells. 

So KO is not out of picture with their new special models "which are totally not endless spells!". 

KO also is apparently not on the docket this year either if you go by their image of what they're doing this year. It is... more stormcast with fyreslayers in the background. Undead stuff, a vampire and it looks like skeles. Chaos. And ogres with gloomspite in the background. If that's their hint of what's coming up, well, KO aren't in it

59 minutes ago, stratigo said:

KO also is apparently not on the docket this year either if you go by their image of what they're doing this year. It is... more stormcast with fyreslayers in the background. Undead stuff, a vampire and it looks like skeles. Chaos. And ogres with gloomspite in the background. If that's their hint of what's coming up, well, KO aren't in it

This is old generic 4 GA graphic.

• Like 2