AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

16 hours ago, The Cranky Dwarf said:

Has anyone thought that the grundstocks being a pmc basically should have unified color scheme apart from that of the baraks? Like what happens when units that were working with ziflin get shifted to mhornar? Do they repaint all their gear or what?

Yeah I asked that a while back.  I think there are Grundstocks in the skyports so they share colours, but there is no reason (given paint isnt a rule) you cannot make up your own approach.  Im planning a frigate and Thunderers unit to be a different scheme to my fleet as they will be a rogue captain/contractor working for my admiral.

3 hours ago, Kramig said:

Hi guys! I am new of kharadron, I started reading the book and I have one big doubt: the admiral is very strong in close combat, but he has only move 4", and the other melee troop is endriggers who are very fast: he can't fight together with them

So, I don't understand how to play admiral, since there aren't other units that can support him (sending admiral alone seems to me a suicide): arkanaut company is not much good in melee (except skypike, but it's only 3 on 10)

I'm pretty sure his utility lies in his lead by example command ability. No battleshock within 12 of him. And he has a 3 up plus look out sir so he's pretty hard to range down.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stato said:

Yeah I asked that a while back.  I think there are Grundstocks in the skyports so they share colours, but there is no reason (given paint isnt a rule) you cannot make up your own approach.  Im planning a frigate and Thunderers unit to be a different scheme to my fleet as they will be a rogue captain/contractor working for my admiral.

I thought the lore in the army book mentions that every port has their own guild of grundstock. So wouldn’t it make sense they wear the colours of the port. But maybe one token colour/symbol marking them as grundstock?

9 hours ago, Kramig said:

Hi guys! I am new of kharadron, I started reading the book and I have one big doubt: the admiral is very strong in close combat, but he has only move 4", and the other melee troop is endriggers who are very fast: he can't fight together with them

So, I don't understand how to play admiral, since there aren't other units that can support him (sending admiral alone seems to me a suicide): arkanaut company is not much good in melee (except skypike, but it's only 3 on 10)

That’s why we have ships to drop them all off 😊

Whatever ships might not be (mobile fortresses, cannon platforms, durable tanks) they are transports; something no other army has.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kramig said:

The only way I used him somewhat effectively is not up front with the riggers but as a part of the gun line so he can battleshock buff and counter charge. For all the reasons you just said. 

Hello Guys,

i´m in two weeks on a bigger aos Tournament in europe.Yesterday i played my first Tournament in aos.it was really bad for me.i got 2 games vs daugther of khaine and one game vs fleash eater cort.

Maybe anyone of you can help me to improve my list.

Martin Kosior Alfavega - Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords Skyport: Barak-Zilfin - Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People
LEADERS

Aether-Khemist (160) - General - Command Trait : Stickler for the Code  - Artefact :  Staff of Ocular Optimisation  
Aetheric Navigator (80)
Knight-Azyros (100) - Allies
UNITS

10 x Arkanaut Company (120) - 3 x  Light Skyhooks
20 x Grundstok Thunderers (400) - 20 x  Aethershot Rifles
9 x Endrinriggers (360) - 2 x  Grapnel Launchers
3 x Skywardens (120)
WAR MACHINES

Arkanaut Ironclad (420) - Main Gun : Aethermatic Volley Cannon - Great Endrinworks : The Last Word
TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0     WOUNDS: 107
LEADERS: 3/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 1/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1    ALLIES: 100/400

My idea behind the list is:

I wanna deepstrike my ironclad with the khemist ,riggers and my thunderer to deal much Damage on his important Units.My arkanaut Company Units try to grap objective or shoot Monsters and hero with the skyhooks.But what do you think About the Wardens and Knight azyros to grap objectives?

I would be happy if you would help me.I got all Units for the ko and some allies like Knight incator and 15 squitors.

Best regards 

Martin

Almost got all my models for my 1k army. The old order didn't get placed at my local store so I have to wait longer. Oops. But my practice work on an old set of Space Marine models is going well. I might see if I can kitbash some non helmeted dwarf heads from DnD models on a few of my Arkanauts for fun.

Also, I'm working on a new 2k army idea based on previous suggestions. Wonder how many volley guns I can throw in for maximum dakka...

32 minutes ago, DavionStar said:

Also, I'm working on a new 2k army idea based on previous suggestions. Wonder how many volley guns I can throw in for maximum dakka...

Doesn't matter how many you can take, not enough dakka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New rumours: After Sylvaneth and KO warbands for Warhammer Underworlds, it could be a new box with both armies and 2.0 battletomes (like Carrion Empire box). Like I said, it's just a rumour....

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 2/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, Beliman said:

New rumours: After Sylvaneth and KO warbands for Warhammer Underworlds, it could be a new box with both armies and 2.0 battletomes (like Carrion Empire box). Like I said, it's just a rumour....

How reliable a rumour? I'm between going all in for flesh eaters or sky dwarves for my first serious go at aos and what's holding me back from kharadron is the cost. An inexpensive boxed set would be exactly what I'd need to be swayed

13 minutes ago, ZealousJ said:

How reliable a rumour? I'm between going all in for flesh eaters or sky dwarves for my first serious go at aos and what's holding me back from kharadron is the cost. An inexpensive boxed set would be exactly what I'd need to be swayed

Someone was right about something before, and now is saying this.

I guess it's 50/50, and LVO is in two days... just wait to see if GW throws any sneak peek.

I really hope that we’re getting a 2.0 book.  

Also, I’ve figured out a way for Overlords to have a realistic summoning mechanic.  I got the idea from a documentary about trawlermen in their boats, if you can believe that.  The idea that overlord ships are about, following leads and tailing other ships in the hope of getting in on the action, and the spoils.

Anyway, you can earn points every turn for each overlord character, frigate and ironclad you have on the board (admirals and ironclads earn more), plus some extra points for having your units in enemy territory or having enemy units in your territory.  

These points can then be used to buy units from a set menu.  X points buy you a gunhauler, Y points buys you a frigate with either 10 arkanauts, 5 thunderers, 3 skywardens or 3 endrinriggers onboard, and Z points buys you an ironclad with 10 arkanauts, 1 other overlord unit (either 5 thunderers, 3 skywardens or 3 endrinriggers) and 1 character onboard.  These reinforcements arrive embarked upon their ship within 6” of a board edge and 9” away from enemy units.

Edited by Arkanaut Admiral
  • Like 1

That's nice! This mechanic has some lore behind and is eazy to understand and play.

I'm a bit skeptic with "summoning" or even using magic with Dwarfs but they are doing a good job with the latest battletomes, so I'm not really worried. Imo, Ko should be a Dwarf army that interacts directly on the table and not just list-building/ stat-buffing. Fyreslayers and Dispossessed are armies that rely on themself, they know the enemy and they run and punch them in the face. But KO seems to addapt better than other stunties. 

There are awesome concepts on this thread, a "reload mechanic" for our ships with diferent bombs  or ships with garrison rules are mechanics that I really want to see for KO. If the enemy summons a big fat demon, we use our "holy bomb". If enemy has long charges, we put traps. Our tech and utility should be our most powerful weapons.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess “summoning” isn’t the right word to describe it, as there’s no magic involved in the sense of conjuring up creatures out of thin air.  I just think that it, along with some reworked rules, could make us a force to be reckoned with again.  I recently played a 2 day event, and I’ve figured out that if you haven’t got summoning/teleportation of some description and/or a mortal wound blocking save, don’t bother turning up at tournaments.

Also, I recently did this little doodle and I figured that here would be a good place to show it:

918F101D-FA39-4443-952E-B7067DF33129.png

• Like 4

On 2/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, Beliman said:

a dual box with one army based on shooting and the other based around woods that prevent shooting ? would be a fun, but terrible idea

On 2/4/2019 at 6:46 PM, Beliman said:

Personally i think that this boxes would be cool to see:

Ice and fire (BCR vs Fyreslayers)

Wood and iron (sylvaneth vs ironjaws)

Blood in the water (ID vs DoK)

Primal innovation (KO vs Bonespliters)

Edited by cofaxest

10 hours ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I guess “summoning” isn’t the right word to describe it, as there’s no magic involved in the sense of conjuring up creatures out of thin air.  I just think that it, along with some reworked rules, could make us a force to be reckoned with again.  I recently played a 2 day event, and I’ve figured out that if you haven’t got summoning/teleportation of some description and/or a mortal wound blocking save, don’t bother turning up at tournaments.

My two cents. You don't NEED summoning/teleportation. And for me it doesn't fit. You DO need something else to make your army function. It clearly needs to be the ships as transports for KO. They just need to figure out a way to make that work instead of giving all armies the same set of skills. 

• Like 2

I'd argue the KO need units that make the most of the Ships they have, proper robust combat units who can make the most of deploying out and ploughing right into combat, or deployable structures from ships (Either by way of floating mines, a heavy gun position floating on aetherballoons etc). Building on the factions USP rather than drifting in magic and summoning that every other faction tends to have. There's so much to be done with the concept of the KO that it would be a shame to see duplicate abilities from other factions beginning to drift in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

I'd argue the KO need units that make the most of the Ships they have, proper robust combat units who can make the most of deploying out and ploughing right into combat, or deployable structures from ships (Either by way of floating mines, a heavy gun position floating on aetherballoons etc). Building on the factions USP rather than drifting in magic and summoning that every other faction tends to have. There's so much to be done with the concept of the KO that it would be a shame to see duplicate abilities from other factions beginning to drift in.

I would be super upset to get magic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Melcavuk said:

1 Change embarking rule (so KO can deploy embarked only in some battalion(s))

2 Give KO true aetherpowered weapon with 40k plasma type of weapon treatment.

3 Change range of KO missile weapon (8/16" for infantry and 16/24" for ships)

4 Change roles of KO heroes (alchemist - buff weapon characteristic for infatry + passive for debuff enemy weapon characteristic

endrinmaster - buff weapon characteristic for ships + passive heal for the ships

navigator - duff mobility and survivability for all friendly models

5 New terrain with garrison rule

6 Aethermancer with true antimagic

7 Other balancing and cost adjustments.

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 1

I tried my hand at rewriting the frigates warscroll, to make it a viable option and worth its cost.  I haven’t got a copy of my one to hand but here’s the gist of it:

Save increased to 4+

Range of Heavy Skycannon/Skyhook increased to 32”.

All hands to the guns now +1 to hit.

Grudgesettler Bombs now work like a Gyrobombers bombs.  I.e, dropped on a unit the ship flies over.  D3 mortal wounds on a 4+.

Detonian Drills unchanged.  Combined with the garrison rules below, they should come into their own now.

Skymines now d3 mortal wounds on a 4+, making them more likely to go off and more damaging to big targets.

Garrison rules for embarking and disembarking, not just allowing embark units to act, but also allowing them to disembark after the ship has moved, making them actually fast.

2 minutes ago, Djoblo said:

And what about a Navigator that actually Navigate onboard? 

He can cant he? Reading the aetheric winds whilst embarked only benefits his own vessel but still its a benefit. And as for summoning a storm to hurt fliers whilst in a flier would be risky, logic seems to imply he'd want solid ground underfoot before doing so hence that limitation.