AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hey guys, I'm Krohn, Thanks for the support! Cancon was really great, and it felt awsome to get onto the stream twice! (Day 2 games 1 and 3). I think they're still available on the honest wargamer's YouTube.

Here's the list I took, and a couple ideas I had going into it.

Barak-Zilfin + there's no trading with some people

Khemist
General - stickler for the code - these are just guidelines

Khemist
Artifact - aethershock earbuster (this one goes in the frigate)

40 arkanauts
12 skyhooks

10 arkanauts
3 volley guns

10 arkanauts
3 volley guns

14 thunderers
14 carbines

5 evocators
3 grandstaves

5 evocators
2 grandstaves

Frigate - cannon
Artifact - eatherspheric endrins

- 12 skyhooks and a khemist is amazing

- I find volley guns work better on the small squads without khemist support

- 14 thunderers and a khemist fit perfectly in a frigate, and do a lot of damage

- I also won a LOT of points by charging the thunderers and retreating.  That's how I beat a Hagg Nar at the start of turn 3 in knife to the heart

- I love endrinriggers, but they just die too fast, so I took the evocators instead, since they can also dispel

- when I needed to screen (which was often) it was with the 10 man arkanauts out front, and the evocators directly behind, so they could provide a strong counter attack

- I like Mohrnar, but I needed the deepstriking boat for maneuverability since I didn't have any endrinriggers, and the rerolls against flying things is really good, especially with the amount of death around.  And if I fought an army with no flying, that's what "these are just guidelines" was for

If you guys want me to write up a more detailed game walkthrough, I can write one up later today

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GrandAdmiralAutumn said:

Hey guys, I'm Krohn, Thanks for the support! Cancon was really great, and it felt awsome to get onto the stream twice! (Day 2 games 1 and 3). I think they're still available on the honest wargamer's YouTube.

Here's the list I took, and a couple ideas I had going into it.

Barak-Zilfin + there's no trading with some people

Khemist
General - stickler for the code - these are just guidelines

Khemist
Artifact - aethershock earbuster (this one goes in the frigate)

40 arkanauts
12 skyhooks

10 arkanauts
3 volley guns

10 arkanauts
3 volley guns

14 thunderers
14 carbines

5 evocators
3 grandstaves

5 evocators
2 grandstaves

Frigate - cannon
Artifact - eatherspheric endrins

- 12 skyhooks and a khemist is amazing

- I find volley guns work better on the small squads without khemist support

- 14 thunderers and a khemist fit perfectly in a frigate, and do a lot of damage

- I also won a LOT of points by charging the thunderers and retreating.  That's how I beat a Hagg Nar at the start of turn 3 in knife to the heart

- I love endrinriggers, but they just die too fast, so I took the evocators instead, since they can also dispel

- when I needed to screen (which was often) it was with the 10 man arkanauts out front, and the evocators directly behind, so they could provide a strong counter attack

- I like Mohrnar, but I needed the deepstriking boat for maneuverability since I didn't have any endrinriggers, and the rerolls against flying things is really good, especially with the amount of death around.  And if I fought an army with no flying, that's what "these are just guidelines" was for

If you guys want me to write up a more detailed game walkthrough, I can write one up later today

Do you think you could have won 5 games with the riggers instead of the evocators? Or were they crucial to the victory?

(Good job by the way, that was impressive!)

3 hours ago, GrandAdmiralAutumn said:

-I also won a LOT of points by charging the thunderers and retreating.  That's how I beat a Hagg Nar at the start of turn 3 in knife to the heart

Could you explain how this was used tactically in more depth? I'm unable to really understand it, haven't played my KO in a while.

7 hours ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

Could you explain how this was used tactically in more depth? I'm unable to really understand it, haven't played my KO in a while.

Retreating from combat in the combat pahse (their unique warscroll ability) lets you essentially get a free move in the combat phase. 

So in the turn you have moved, shot, charged (remember only only model from the unit needs to be within 1/2" so rest of the unit can string out where you like), combat pahse retreat (running obviously for another 4+D6" move).

If the opponent has not fully screened an objective, thats a whole lot of movement you could try and use to get around them to the objective. 

Edited by stato
  • Thanks 1

@Beliman Thanks for the insight! I'll take your comments and see what I can do to improve my goofy army. (Honestly as long as I can keep a few boats and Skywardens I'll be happy. Gunhaulers are cute boats.)

@GrandAdmiralAutumn Grats on your games! I'm so happy to hear about KO doing well at tourneys.

And to everyone else here I just wanted to say it's awesome how friendly and welcoming this forum is. I can't wait to get my first army going so I can contribute more rather than just asking questions.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

@stato got it, but here it's in the flesh. The move starts at this link, but you can also scroll back for (close too) the whole match

https://youtu.be/63XyZKXp-kU?t=185

Edited by Kramer

8 minutes ago, Kramer said:

After months of reading how the faction needs an update to perform well... F yes we do ;) 

Ive never been a complete subscriber to the 'we are terrible' line.  KO (and dispossessed) can do well just they dont seem to have everything they need in their faction, so allies are often called upon to plug gaps. In this case Evocators added the resiliance and magic dispel KO are generally missing, letting our units do what they do best, shoot a lot of stuff! 😀  I know a lot dont like to ally in things, but with a bit of thought it can be fun and also help.

I only got to watch half of game 6 (so far) but was impressed by how Krohn played so looking forward to a write up on his thoughts.

• Like 1

Well, my main complain about KO is that we don't have enough "fluff" in our gameplay.

I'm not really mad about competitive play, but our ships are more for one turn alpha and not because we need them (if we had some type of teleport like other armies, I believe  that people will just swap Zilfin-ships for more bodies and rely on that teleport to make our alpha).

At the same time, GW wrote awesome new allegiance abilitites (Nurgle, Gloomspite, ID, etc...), and IMHO, Kharadrons Overlords deserve something like that (I love the Code btw).

Edited by Beliman

21 minutes ago, stato said:

Ive never been a complete subscriber to the 'we are terrible' line.  KO (and dispossessed) can do well just they dont seem to have everything they need in their faction, so allies are often called upon to plug gaps. In this case Evocators added the resiliance and magic dispel KO are generally missing, letting our units do what they do best, shoot a lot of stuff! 😀  I know a lot dont like to ally in things, but with a bit of thought it can be fun and also help.

I only got to watch half of game 6 (so far) but was impressed by how Krohn played so looking forward to a write up on his thoughts.

No me neither, but mostly because I felt that it’s unfair to say a faction is not good enough, when it’s 1. Played less because of that sentiment, 2. A lot of people dropped out after the first nerds and it showed in the representation, 3. Not every faction can be the best. They still are, usually great fun to play, just maybe not for invitational tournaments. 

Yeah, same here half way through the game against Khorne! Very impressive stuff and very fun to see a different playing style on the thunderers which I was already planning on adding but for more of a backfield option. Seriously cool to know there are other options for that unit!

6 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Well, my main compain about KO is that we don't have enough "fluff" in our gameplay.

I'm not really mad about competitive play, but our ships are more for one turn alpha and not because we need them to play (if we had some type of teleport like other armies, I believe  that people will just swap Zilfin-ships for more bodies and rely on that teleport to make our alpha).

At the same time, GW has done awesome new allegiance abilitites (Nurgle, Gloomspite, ID, etc...), and IMHO, Kharadrons Overlords deserve something like that (I love the Code btw).

True we don’t seem to play like our fluff suggests. Mostly by limitations on embarking/disimbarking in my mind. But also most opponent have such great speed that their threat range seems close to the same. But for now let’s celebrate this huge achievement not bemoan the shortcomings

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Very impressive stuff and very fun to see a different playing style on the thunderers which I was already planning on adding but for more of a backfield option. Seriously cool to know there are other options for that unit!

I, like a lot of KO players probably, have a bunch of Thunderers sat un-used after their scroll changed.  I never actually got round to building mine as I used their points to ally in some Stormcast Prosecutors (to acompany my Azyros, im so narrative it hurts 😁) .  Ive never really went back to them as I was getting a bit bored of the amount of shooting my Mhornar list already had.  Might give them a shot now, possibly with some more Frigates to replace the Riggers.  Fun times!

I love the Kharadron Code, but I'm wondering if it's time to rethink how it works?  Like Honour Is Everything becomes a flat reroll for to hit and to wound rolls of 1 against heros and monsters for all units (because look out sir is a thing now).  And footnotes become once per turn rather than once per game?

Also, I'm one of those players who thinks that the named skyports should have fixed footnotes, to make taking your own skyport a more attractive option.  

On 1/28/2019 at 12:45 AM, GrandAdmiralAutumn said:

Hi Krohn, watched the live streams of game day two. Great stuff there. Cool to see how you played the thunderers aggressively and used your deepstriking boat to mess with the ‘shoot the cllsest’ Deepkin rules. 

Question for you. Would you change one of you evocaters to a squad of riggers based on those games? Both times it looked like you could have benefited from a unit with some speed to capture objectives.

Any other changes you would want to make? 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, Beliman said:

Well, my main complain about KO is that we don't have enough "fluff" in our gameplay.

I'm not really mad about competitive play, but our ships are more for one turn alpha and not because we need them (if we had some type of teleport like other armies, I believe  that people will just swap Zilfin-ships for more bodies and rely on that teleport to make our alpha).

At the same time, GW wrote awesome new allegiance abilitites (Nurgle, Gloomspite, ID, etc...), and IMHO, Kharadrons Overlords deserve something like that (I love the Code btw).

I feel in the exact same way. I'm not saying that kharadron are bad. They are a middle tiers faction and totally playable in tournament if you don't aim the podium but just seek for some fun. But, even if you just want to win a few tournament game, you can't play Fluffwise and it's sad. It sad that you can't bring a real "Skydorf fleet army" with a meta based on boat-embarking-movement-boatsynergy  and with a single tournament game with it. 

God! I build/paint 6 amazing boat with stunning conversion ! I bring them at each tournament to show them on my Display Board, and then confessing "oh the boat..? nah I don't really play them... they are more like... scenery piece..." 

I mean. they are centerpiece ! It's like if a sylvaneth army use Alariel and Durthu as Wyldwood. I would trade a nerf on every single skyfarer model if i could bring Boat and boat-based special mechanic in exchange.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Ok guys, I made a detailed list rundown here: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/kharadron-overlords-skyhooks-for-days/

I'll put a play-by-play and tactica Article on AoS shorts website in a few days!

@jake3991 , I actually managed to skip all the death armies there!  but I do pretty well v Nighthaunt because they all have fly.

@Kramer I took the Evocators mainly because theyre wizards, can do mortal wound, and are tougher than Endrinriggers.  I love our balloon boys though!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

6 hours ago, GrandAdmiralAutumn said:

Ok guys, I made a detailed list rundown here: https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/kharadron-overlords-skyhooks-for-days/

I'll put a play-by-play and tactica Article on AoS shorts website in a few days!

Thanks! I'm really happy to see this "new" tricks for some underused units (g.thunderers). A bit sad for our ships, but happy that we still are using one of them (even if it's just a teleport-thing). 

Edited by Beliman

On 1/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, Beliman said:

I understand your point. I think that even without a new book (I'd love one but let's be realistic...) the GHB19 can fix a lot of our issues (competitive and fluff). Let's imagine a general point drop on a few units (Gunhauler, Skywardens for example) and a few more battleline options (I could totally see Skywardens if KO allegiance and Gunhauler if KO allegiance and Endrinmaster as general). That way you could have armies that match the fluff and be more competitive without wholesale changes and a new book. Granted, that wouldn't fix the warscroll issues (save on ships for example) but that would be a good start.

Hi guys! I am new of kharadron, I started reading the book and I have one big doubt: the admiral is very strong in close combat, but he has only move 4", and the other melee troop is endriggers who are very fast: he can't fight together with them

So, I don't understand how to play admiral, since there aren't other units that can support him (sending admiral alone seems to me a suicide): arkanaut company is not much good in melee (except skypike, but it's only 3 on 10)