AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Get your Admiral ready for his new warscroll is really good!

Protect the admiral now transfer wounds on a 3+.

His CA now gives Run and Shoot to a unit.

New rule, right before the first turn begins (so after everything that happens before the game starts) the admiral choses *1* special ammunition that he can use once per game:

1. Start of your shooting phase choose one enemy Monster unit within 12". Roll a dice. On a 2+ this unit can only charge 1D6 instead of 2D6 until the end of the opponent's next turn.

2. Start of shooting phase choose a unit within 12". On a 2+ no ward saves against attacks that target this unit until the end of phase.

3. Start of shooting phase choose a KO unit KO unit that is not a boat and is within 12" add 1 rend to attacks made by that unit until the end of this phase. The same unit can benefit from this buff only once per phase

Battalions are self explanatory.

Grand strategy: Finish the battle with no aether-gold and used at least 1 aether-gold per battle round.

Tactics:

1) Choose I enemy unit. You complete this tactic if that unit is destroyed by a friendly model's Bomb Supply ability during this turn.

2) You cannot choose this tactical intent in the first round of battle. Choose 3 friendly units that are on the battlefield. You complete this tactic when all those units are garrisoned in SKYSHIPS at the end of the turn.

3) Choose 3 friendly units garrisoned in SKYSHIPS. You complete this tactical when all those units are on the battlefield at the end of the turn and are entirely in enemy territory.

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-06 at 11.04.04(3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-06 at 11.04.04(2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-06 at 11.04.04(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-06 at 11.04.04.jpeg

Edited by Arzalyn
Correcting the translations
  • LOVE IT! 3

The Admiral's Ammunitions work a bit differently according to the screenshot.

Right before the first turn begins (so after everything that happens before the game starts) the admiral choses *1* special ammunition that he can use once per game. 

Also, the first one that ensnares only works against monsters. 

The second one is triggered during the shooting phase and only works in the shooting phase. Still, it denies all ward saves against wounds and mortal wounds.

Third one says: -1 Rend for a KO unit that is *not* a boat. Doesn't say the unit can't be *in* a boat, though! It also states that the same unit can benefit from this buff only once per phase. So no admiral stacking for -4 rend thunderers. =D

P.S. a new warscroll is so much more than I expected, I love it!  

Edited by Rachmani
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

The Admiral's Ammunitions work a bit differently according to the screenshot.

Right before the first turn begins (so after everything that happens before the game starts) the admiral choses *1* special ammunition that he can use once per game. 

Also, the first one that ensnares only works against monsters. 

The second one is triggered during the shooting phase and only works in the shooting phase. Still, it denies all ward saves against wounds and mortal wounds.

Third one says: -1 Rend for a KO unit that is *not* a boat. Doesn't say the unit can't be *in* a boat, though! It also states that the same unit can benefit from this buff only once per phase. So no admiral stacking for -4 rend thunderers. =D

P.S. a new warscroll is so much more than I expected, I love it!  

Thanks for the corrections, I edited them with the ones you pointed out. Do you have the exactly wording for the admiral CA?

Having to choose just 1 ammunition and it been once per game is a little sad, but the extra rend should help solve some of our issues with save staking. Rend will probably be the safest one and the ward a little more niche (for things like Nurgle and Fyreslaeyers where you don't need the extra rend that much). It will probably make 2 or even more Admirals in the same list something much more common to see.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Thanks for the corrections, I edited them with the ones you pointed out. Do you have the exactly wording for the admiral CA?

Having to choose just 1 ammunition and it been once per game is a little sad, but the extra rend should help solve some of our issues with save staking. Rend will probably be the safest one and the ward a little more niche (for things like Nurgle and Fyreslaeyers where you don't need the extra rend that much). It will probably make 2 or even more Admirals in the same list something much more common to see.

Well if we have choice before the start of the game, but not bound to our pre-written lists, then we can choose what is beneficial vs. certain armies... 

Do they have a Gotrek?  Ward ignore.  Are they stormcast?  Increase Rend.  Kragnos?  1d6 Charge (maybe).

It's a very nice utility and I see Admiral becoming an auto take.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

It's even after Command Points were handed out, so right before the actually game starts. Everything else is decided.

So, CA wording is:

"You can activate this Command Ability at the start of the shooting phase. It can only be used by "this unit" (aka the Admiral) and must target a friendly Skyvessel. It can shoot (in the shooting phase) even though it ran this turn."

Btw. no word on doubling up on the ammunition other than that you can't stack the 3rd one. so multiple Admirals could negate wards multiple turns, or hand out rend to multiple units - or the same in different turns.

It seems that Admirals are going to have a lot going on:

• Main target for Incarnates (being 3+save, with 3++ bodyguard).
  • A lot of utility:
    • Once-per-battle -1 to Rend or ignore Wards.
    • CA to Run&Shoot
    • Incarante+Book to cast something

He just needs a new Aether-gold triumph and he will be a really great tech-tool. The only thing that I don't like is that he has only one model (we could use Bugmansson or Dagnai, but still...) and I hate to see some repeated Heroes. I think that we are in need of a female Admiral.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I can see most lists starting with a Admiral and a Ironclad from now on. I wonder which will be our best unit to target with the buff, as it is a once per game effect we need to choose really well which unit should receive it. Probably x15 Thunderers or x9 Edrinriggers?

I‘m guessing that some 10 Thunderers would be a good start. 15, yeah, well… that’s some real investment.

P.S. I would have thought that more admirals would react to a buff of their warscroll. >.<

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

P.S. I would have thought that more admirals would react to a buff of their warscroll. >.<

I'm over the moon for this warscroll!    

I was hoping the update did a few things;

- new warscroll for admiral as his command abilities just didn't fit in with 3rd edition

- access to rend improvement mechanic (warscroll covers that)

- boats counting as 5 on objectives (not asking the world here, just wanted to tie monsters and beat a hero)  -  Sadly seems this was missed.

- clarification on our disembark - Sadly, also missed.

5 hours ago, Fert said:

- clarification on our disembark - Sadly, also missed.

That's disappointing.

They need to make it clear what happens if if other units that doesn't have any Disengage-like ability (can shoot after retreat) can shoot or charge after using a movement-phase teleport when they are engaged.

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

The only change is to the Admiral? 

2 new battalions and the usual Grand Strategies and Battle Tactics. I prefer new Battle Traits. It seems that the "once-per-battle" abilities is the new fotm in the GW rules department.

It‘s called a „Kriegslist“ which I‘m not sure on how to translate. Direkt translation would be stratagem.

Anyway, it says:

“Once per game, when a skyvessel is about to shoot its weapons, you can declare one of its weapons to be „The Reliable One“. You may reroll all to hit rolls until the end of the phase.“

I know that mathammer is just a bunch of numbers, but a kitted Admiral seems to be a good assassin (not sure if it's his role but...).

Admirals_Incarnate.jpg.0b3887e96a98222da587e9356b6a0c32.jpg

He can do reliable dmg with Grudgebearer + Gattleson's gun (Barak-Urbaz or Custom Barak). Really close tot the dmg of the Incarnate(2) (400 points!!).
Barak-Thring Admiral, with double-tap from killing himself can do good tmg too.

To bad that Ammuition doens't work on melee.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I know that mathammer is just a bunch of numbers, but a kitted Admiral seems to be a good assassin (not sure if it's his role but...).

Admirals_Incarnate.jpg.0b3887e96a98222da587e9356b6a0c32.jpg

He can do reliable dmg with Grudgebearer + Gattleson's gun (Barak-Urbaz or Custom Barak). Really close tot the dmg of the Incarnate(2) (400 points!!).

To bad that Ammuition doens't work on melee.

In the same sense a Barak-Zon Admiral with the +2 Attacks Artifact, the new 3++, and his improved Hammer not only punches super hard, he‘d also have the iron star for a 2+ death ward, which could make him one of the best characters in the game to bind an Incarnate to.

P.S. Aethershot rifles have a lower to wound chance than some bows shot by blind aelves. Just for the record. >.< I just realised that.

Edited by Rachmani
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, Rachmani said:

which could make him one of the best characters in the game to bind an Incarnate to.

Really hard to crack, but I'm not sure if it's better to kill a 125p character to upgrade the Incarnate. Run&Charge is awesome, and +1to hit means that it doens't need any buff-bots near him.

Unless you aim for a wombo-combo with the All out Attack in an AoE + Ammunition or something like that. Imo, it can surprise a lot of people.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, Rachmani said:

P.S. Aethershot rifles have a lower to wound chance than some bows shot by blind aelves. Just for the record. >.< I just realised that.

Indeed, hard to swallow...

Edited by Beliman

I agree. Still. Unlike for many other armies that have reliable killing power in melee, I think the Incarnate could actually be useful for us. It’s deadly and it pins a unit for at least a turn until it degraded earlier. Then again, would it be better than a pair of dragon riders? Or the Prime? Some Fulminators? Of that I‘m not yet convinced.

8 hours ago, Beliman said:

That's disappointing.

They need to make it clear what happens if if other units that doesn't have any Disengage-like ability (can shoot after retreat) can shoot or charge after using a movement-phase teleport when they are engaged.

2 new battalions and the usual Grand Strategies and Battle Tactics. I prefer new Battle Traits. It seems that the "once-per-battle" abilities is the new fotm in the GW rules department.

I really hate once per game ******

• Like 1

I wonder if running a gunhauler (with the compartment) + 3 heroes inside it could be a good idea to get the 2 new battle tactics. 

You could do savage spearhead > disembark one > Ferocious advance > back to the ship one, 4 battle tactics that don't depend on you killing enemy models!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 11:45 AM, Beliman said:

I didn't count that +1to hit was for ranged weapons too. Their dmg should improve a little. If there is a Hero/Monster that needs to die, the Urbaz/Custom Admiral can punch really hard:

• 5 attacks (9") hitting on 2+(+1hit), wounding on 3+ (Triumph), Rend-1 (or-2 with ammunition) and Dmg 4 (Grudgebearer), and can try to ignore wards (ammunition) if Rend is not needed.
  • 3 melee attacks, hitting on 2+ (+1hit), wounds on 2+, Rend-2 and Dmg 6.

With just a little bit of luck (or cheap dmg), our Admiral can one-shot Teclis (even with Protection of Shysh). I think it's a lot easier to deliver our Admiral than any other assassin from other armies, with a Kamikaze Gunhauler + some movement shenanigans (24"+charge with generic Footnote), it could be easy.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I didn't count that +1to hit was for ranged weapons too. Their dmg should improve a little. If there is a Hero/Monster that needs to die, the Urbaz/Custom Admiral can punch really hard:

• 5 attacks (9") hitting on 2+(+1hit), wounding on 3+ (Triumph), Rend-1 (or-2 with ammunition) and Dmg 4 (Grudgebearer), and can try to ignore wards (ammunition) if Rend is not needed.
  • 3 melee attacks, hitting on 2+ (+1hit), wounds on 2+, Rend-2 and Dmg 6.

With just a little bit of luck (or cheap dmg), our Admiral can one-shot Teclis (even with Protection of Shysh). I think it's a lot easier to deliver our Admiral than any other assassin from other armies, with a Kamikaze Gunhauler + some movement shenanigans (24"+charge with generic Footnote), it could be easy.

I actually really like that this is now an option in KO. Reminds me of the souped up Runefathers you can build in the new Fyreslayers book. Could it be that GW is finally figuring out how to stat combat heroes?

• LOVE IT! 1