AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Hi all! Attending a casual tournament for new players (as well as lapsed players). I haven't played this edition or KO at all. Tournament is 700 points, but only have about 940 painted so not that much choice. Was looking at.

Balloon Boss, 5 Thunderers (special weapons), 10 arkanauts, 3 shooting endrinriggers, gun hauler.

Units that I have painted but are not in list are an ironclad and a gyrocopter.

I'm feeling a bit lost with what port, grand strategy, enhancements and such to take. Any advice?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Hi all! Attending a casual tournament for new players (as well as lapsed players). I haven't played this edition or KO at all. Tournament is 700 points, but only have about 940 painted so not that much choice. Was looking at.

Balloon Boss, 5 Thunderers (special weapons), 10 arkanauts, 3 shooting endrinriggers, gun hauler.

Units that I have painted but are not in list are an ironclad and a gyrocopter.

I'm feeling a bit lost with what port, grand strategy, enhancements and such to take. Any advice?

I recently played a 750 points tournament with a similar list (changing the 5 thunderers to wardens + khermist as my general). I ended going with Zilfin, mostly to get the auto-run 6 and the the hero phase move. It has a mandatory artefact (nothing amazing, but not bad either) but let you choose a command trait for the Balloon Endrinmaster. At this point range its difficult to use all the sub-factions rules, so I went with which ones looked more useful/stronger.

About the grand strategies, which battlepack is your tournament using?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

I recently played a 750 points tournament with a similar list (changing the 5 thunderers to wardens + khermist as my general). I ended going with Zilfin, mostly to get the auto-run 6 and the the hero phase move. It has a mandatory artefact (nothing amazing, but not bad either) but let you choose a command trait for the Balloon Endrinmaster. At this point range its difficult to use all the sub-factions rules, so I went with which ones looked more useful/stronger.

About the grand strategies, which battlepack is your tournament using?

Contest of Generals Battlepack, I think the core rulebook one. 

Submission has already passed before I heard back, so I took a bit of a wild guess! Ended up going Thryng, mainly for the RR1 Vs 3 units and a turn of nasty shooting. Balloon Boss got mandatory fight on death on 2+ and a +1 to hit and mortals on 6 to wound relic. I picked the travel capacity for the gunhauler. Grand Strat was keeping a battleline alive, which is my Arkanauts and Riggers. 

How did your tournament go? My 750 (unfortunately 690, would have changed things up if I had the models) looks pretty small.

14 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Contest of Generals Battlepack, I think the core rulebook one. 

Submission has already passed before I heard back, so I took a bit of a wild guess! Ended up going Thryng, mainly for the RR1 Vs 3 units and a turn of nasty shooting. Balloon Boss got mandatory fight on death on 2+ and a +1 to hit and mortals on 6 to wound relic. I picked the travel capacity for the gunhauler. Grand Strat was keeping a battleline alive, which is my Arkanauts and Riggers. 

How did your tournament go? My 750 (unfortunately 690, would have changed things up if I had the models) looks pretty small.

We used the same battlepack. I went with the "kill all enemy heroes" grand strategy as I had only the arkanauts as battleline. Looking back at my games I think the Thryng rerolling artycle would had been more useful than what I got with Zilfin, I used the auto run twice and that was it. The games were much faster than I expected, either you take down the important pieces your opponent bought or it take you down. Of the 3 games I lost only to the SCE dragons list, they are really hard to destroy at this point range, no one in the tournament was able to win against them.

Other than having the usual problem with high save, high wounds units, I think KO works particularly well at lower points. At this range its hard to have lots of threats + support in other factions, so you generally have 1 or 2 units that you have to worry about. KO, on the other hand, can have most of their points inside/beside a boat shooting at those few units. The most important thing is identifying them and concentrating your fire power (Gunhauler+thunderers+riggers+master) to take it has soon as you can.

• Like 1

For sub 1k I quite like thryng as you can often hit over half their army with the 3 grudges.

Ive liked 

Dirigible w/ Thryng CT and artifact,

2*3 Skywardens w/ volley and drills

2*10 Arkanauts

Gunhauler w/ drill and torpedo for 745 in a battle regiment

Ive gone off thunderers in a gunhauler at the moment, so swung the other way for mortals. The drills are reasonably consistent between them and can keep your distance then close in mid-late game to punch something off objectives with the torpedo and grudgehammer.

For riggers like you've got, Id be inclined to go all rivets and saws with a sky cannon on the gunhauler. Then you've got good pepper spray at 12" and you'll just have rely on the two cannon shots (from hauler and dirigible) and saws for anything sturdy.

For those that don't follow the rumor thread, we are getting a Tome Celestial next month.

Judging by the other tomes we should get some battle tactics, grand strategy and some other rule. It's best to not expect anything too game changing.

IMG-20220311-WA0008.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

So, what do you want to see in the next WD issue??
We don't have any terrain, so pretty sure that we are not going to be BoCed. Maybe more triumphs and a new allegiance to take more Aethergolds contracts/shares could be awesome (Barak-Urbaz style).

About tactics, something about movement without defending a points would be a dream! Or maybe have a unit in every side of the table or something like that.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

So, what do you want to see in the next WD issue??
We don't have any terrain, so pretty sure that we are not going to be BoCed. Maybe more triumphs and a new allegiance to take more Aethergolds contracts/shares could be awesome (Barak-Urbaz style).

About tactics, something about movement without defending a points would be a dream! Or maybe have a unit in every side of the table or something like that.

I hope we get at least 1 new trait in addition to the normal grand strategy and tactics. May main wish for the trait is something that make ships or the units inside it count for objective control. Let us play the objective game as normal, our damage output isn't what it used to be before the save stacking. If we get something more, a heroic action for our heroes that give them a aethergold would be really cool, as would more aethergold effects in general or for our no-hero units.

Grand allegiance having a boat alive in the end of the game seems like the obvious one for me. Tactics some movement related ones would be cool! Maybe fly high with 2 or more models and finish the movement phase within x" of each other? Spending X amount of aethergold in a turn could be interesting as well.

Edited by Arzalyn
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 12:10 PM, Arzalyn said:

We used the same battlepack. I went with the "kill all enemy heroes" grand strategy as I had only the arkanauts as battleline. Looking back at my games I think the Thryng rerolling artycle would had been more useful than what I got with Zilfin, I used the auto run twice and that was it. The games were much faster than I expected, either you take down the important pieces your opponent bought or it take you down. Of the 3 games I lost only to the SCE dragons list, they are really hard to destroy at this point range, no one in the tournament was able to win against them.

Other than having the usual problem with high save, high wounds units, I think KO works particularly well at lower points. At this range its hard to have lots of threats + support in other factions, so you generally have 1 or 2 units that you have to worry about. KO, on the other hand, can have most of their points inside/beside a boat shooting at those few units. The most important thing is identifying them and concentrating your fire power (Gunhauler+thunderers+riggers+master) to take it has soon as you can.

Tournament was a lot of fun.

Round 1 Vs Thunderlizard, 18-21. Started off with a loss. Massively underestimated how much the double tapping Solar Bastilodon could do. Even being wiped out turn 3 I had a good hold of points and got a respectable score.

Round 2 Vs Stormcast. List had a Stormdrake General and a lot of infantry. Think this one was 25-11. Wiped them out, being able to spread wide across the board meant that after the dragon died anything that commited to holding a point got stuck there, and could be sequentially taken out.

Round 3 Vs Stormcast. List was heavy on fulminators. This one was 26-15. Wiped them out, with them pushing too far forward and giving me the double, which lead to about half their army being down before getting a chance to do much. 

I can really see why they lowered the rates of reroll ones. All out attack and grudge making a unit 2+ to hit rerolling ones felt plain unfair. 

Another note is that good god do Thunderers take a while to roll all their attacks.

The shooting riggers worked well, plinking off wounds where they were left and being a scoring body when needed. I'm now realising that I never remembered to add one to the unit champions attacks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Krondspine Incarnate in KO army...  Bind it to an Admiral in ironclad with company.  -2 to hit (net -1 of course), +1 to armor save, and 5++ shrug.

The unknown is if the incarnate starts on the board or can it be "unleashed" in the hero phase... Zilfin hero phase fly high, drop it in enemy lines, stack on its all-out-attack aura, and profit?

Also... y'all get any of them white dwarf leaks?

Edit... Admiral in zilfin sucks for his forced command trait...

Edited by Fert
added edit for admiral command trait

1 hour ago, Fert said:

Krondspine Incarnate in KO army...  Bind it to an Admiral in ironclad with company.  -2 to hit (net -1 of course), +1 to armor save, and 5++ shrug.

The unknown is if the incarnate starts on the board or can it be "unleashed" in the hero phase... Zilfin hero phase fly high, drop it in enemy lines, stack on its all-out-attack aura, and profit?

It sounds awesome XD How do you give 5++ to the Admiral? I'm not used to play with him

47 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It sounds awesome XD How do you give 5++ to the Admiral? I'm not used to play with him

He passes wounds/mortal wounds to a unit near him. 

Be even better if you can command trait him with "tough as old boots" for 2 extra wounds.  It would be hard to snipe him out of that boat and thus keep the incarnate bound to him.  But you'd have to go custom port for that command trait.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Just_Flo said:

Which Kharadon Overlords relevant things are in Broken Realms (Be'lakor)?

Some new triumphs to spend gold on... reroll a casting attempt, blow up a ship, nothing to great though.

36 minutes ago, Just_Flo said:

Another question from me: 

As we don't have Chars with 10+ Wounds, can we use a char with less wounds as a leader for Batallion requirements and others with less than 10 wounds as subleaders?

Yes, any hero/leader of any size can fill the "Commander" slot for battalions.  It just that "sub-commanders' must be under 10 wounds.

10 minutes ago, Just_Flo said:

If my Navigator is garrisoned on a sky vessel, does that vessel count as being on sight of him for Read the Wind?

Yes. Line of sight for all models in a garrison is drawn from the garrison, and models can always see themselves. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just_Flo said:

I just noticed Thundrik says reroll 1s to hit and normal Khemist says reroll 1 to wound. 

Is that a mistake or do normal Khemist and Thundrik offer different benefits?

Different benefits

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:18 AM, Fert said:

Make khemist General to avoid command trait and take collector

On 4/3/2022 at 9:19 PM, Just_Flo said:

I just noticed Thundrik says reroll 1s to hit and normal Khemist says reroll 1 to wound. 

Is that a mistake or do normal Khemist and Thundrik offer different benefits?

They are mildly different. Just a note, Thundrik's Profiteers fit a Gunhauler with benches perfectly, and make for a cool infiltration team (in my opinion).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fiddybucks said:

Make khemist General to avoid command trait and take collector

Yea khemist is the auto take for Zilfin... Just trying to figure how to protect a hero who may have the incarnate bound to them.  Admiral is currently our toughest hero... but just has a terrible warscroll otherwise.