AoS 2 - Kharadron Overlords Discussion

Chris Tomlin

There are 2 (3?) options:

1. As @C.A.O.S said. The parenthesis is used as a reminder and not as a rule, and our skyvessels can't move in the second movement phase (if they moved in the previous round) if you want to disembark anything, as it happens at the end of the movement phase.
  2. You can disembark because the parenthesis is used as a clarification to what you can do: You cannot do X (but remember that you can still do Y!). In that case, you can disembark and still move because leaving a garrison is not considered a move (because it should only happen at the end of the movement phase, but that's another thing...). 
  3. After talking to other KO players, the last month had a lot of tournaments, and KOs played as 2.0. 

Option 1 and 2 follow the new rules, but they are clearly a big nerf/buff, so I'm not sure what to think about all of this.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

Option 1 and 2 follow the new rules, but they are clearly a big nerf/buff, so I'm not sure what to think about all of this.

That's why I wrote again yesterday to GW asking for clarification on Flying Transport. And I encourage everyone to do the same.

• Thanks 1

Wondering if anyone can clarify this, but aren't the old triumphs still used for aether-gold? BR: be'lakor states that "in a pitched battle, you must use he following triumphs table instead of the one in the core rules" and then goes on to list the previous triumphs. from what I can tell, this is intended, but I wanted to confirm it before using it in a game.

5 hours ago, EatRawFish22 said:

Wondering if anyone can clarify this, but aren't the old triumphs still used for aether-gold? BR: be'lakor states that "in a pitched battle, you must use he following triumphs table instead of the one in the core rules" and then goes on to list the previous triumphs. from what I can tell, this is intended, but I wanted to confirm it before using it in a game.

BR: Belakor does not say that! It just says you can use BR:Belakor triumphs in addition to any other triumphs you can use.

12 hours ago, Boar said:

BR: Belakor does not say that! It just says you can use BR:Belakor triumphs in addition to any other triumphs you can use.

Thank you for the clarification, but does this mean that you can use both the BR triumphs and the current triumphs for aether-gold, or the current triumphs are for universal triumphs while the previous are for aether-gold or something along these lines? I'm going off of https://wahapedia.ru/aos/factions/kharadron-overlords/#Guild-Triumphs, and considering how the book was released shortly before aos 3 and that aether-gold would lose a lot of its strength by being limited to the 3rd edition triumphs, it seems like it is intended to use the old triumphs for aether-gold.

5 hours ago, EatRawFish22 said:

Thank you for the clarification, but does this mean that you can use both the BR triumphs and the current triumphs for aether-gold, or the current triumphs are for universal triumphs while the previous are for aether-gold or something along these lines? I'm going off of https://wahapedia.ru/aos/factions/kharadron-overlords/#Guild-Triumphs, and considering how the book was released shortly before aos 3 and that aether-gold would lose a lot of its strength by being limited to the 3rd edition triumphs, it seems like it is intended to use the old triumphs for aether-gold.

Guild triumphs in BR: Belakor and the triumphs in the 3.0 core rules can be used for aether gold.

9 hours ago, EatRawFish22 said:

I'm going off of https://wahapedia.ru/aos/factions/kharadron-overlords/#Guild-Triumphs, and considering how the book was released shortly before aos 3 and that aether-gold would lose a lot of its strength by being limited to the 3rd edition triumphs, it seems like it is intended to use the old triumphs for aether-gold.

Like @ArkanautDadmiral wrote new universals plus Belakor thingy.
This wahapedia page is outdated and for 2.0. If you enter from main page and go to KO you will get current rules.
And it was definetly intended with new triumphs, they vastly reduced re-rolls as main part of design, and guild triumphs are probably at least in part to offset changes to core triumphs.
Otherwise re-rolling saves along with all out defense would be busted.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Boar said:

Like @ArkanautDadmiral wrote new universals plus Belakor thingy.
This wahapedia page is outdated and for 2.0. If you enter from main page and go to KO you will get current rules.
And it was definetly intended with new triumphs, they vastly reduced re-rolls as main part of design, and guild triumphs are probably at least in part to offset changes to core triumphs.
Otherwise re-rolling saves along with all out defense would be busted.

Damn, that's too bad. Well at least we have easy access to +1 to wound now.

10 hours ago, Beliman said:

New FAQs, nothing about leaving our skyvessels. Maybe we need to do a bit more noise.

Yes! Admirals, I again cordially invite all of you to join our correspondence with GW regarding Flying Transport rule. And if you are so inclined perhaps in asking for additional clarification regarding use of Disengage with Fly High, where implied intent of new ruling suggest that Fly High needs Disengage to allow for shooting attack, but RAW of FAQ does not fully support it leading too unnecessary confusion.

Please adress your inquiries -as I did- at below address:

aosfaq@gwplc.com

Have a fantastic and profitable day!

• Like 1

Any advice for a new player on where to start? My local club is starting an Escalation league starting at 750pts and increasing 250pts every month and I thought I'd jump in with Kharadrons to fullfil my Drukhari boat urges.

Is the Battleforce or Broken Realm boxes worth it or should I stick to Start Collecting?

1 hour ago, Yziel said:

Any advice for a new player on where to start? My local club is starting an Escalation league starting at 750pts and increasing 250pts every month and I thought I'd jump in with Kharadrons to fullfil my Drukhari boat urges.

Is the Battleforce or Broken Realm boxes worth it or should I stick to Start Collecting?

The key things that you probably want to look for is what do you want to build around?

The first thing to look at is battleline.  Generically, you can have Arkanaught battleline, which means getting a few boxes of them is a good place to start.  Next, if you want to commit to having a Endrinmaster w/ Dirigible Suit, you can run either Endrinriggers or Skywardens as battleline.  Finally, if you are willing to stick to a specific city, then you can get either Frigates, Gunhaulers or thunderers as battleline.  Depending upon what you want to focus on, it will change whether or not the various boxes are worth it to you.

If you don't know what you want to play with, a good way to start is with the start collecting, and then a box of Arkanaught Company.  This will give you a little bit of everything to experiment with, and then make a decision on what you like playing with.

If you want to build around having a frigate, the old battleforce is a decent way of starting, provided of course that you can find one.  If you really like the Balloon boys, then grabbing the Broken Realms box is decent, or you can possibly get the older Kharadron VS Tzeentch box which gives you the same models but also gives you an extra gunhauler.  Finally, something else to consider is you can get the warcry box, which is going to give you a squad of endrinriggers/skywardens and a squad of thunderers, at a pretty decent discount over buying them individually.

For myself, I built out my force with a start collecting, an Ironclad, a squad of Arkanaughts, the Kharadron vs Tzeentch box, the warcry box, and then the Underworlds box (because I wanted a Khemist, and the underworlds box gives you a khemist AND a few test models).  This then gives me the following army:

Endrinmaster w/ Dirigible Suit
Endrinmaster w/ endrinharness
Khemist
Ironclad
2x Gunhauler
10 Thunderers
12 Endrinriggers
10 Arkanaught Company

This comes out to 2035 points, but requires that I run the Endrinmaster w/ Dirigible Suit as my general if I put them on the field.  You can end up with a very similar army by getting 2 start collectings, the Broken Realms box, a squad of Arkanaughts, and an Ironclad.  That being said, if that force doesn't interest you, then look for the interesting models and get them instead.  The above force has never actually been fielded as a KO army yet (I primarily got them so I can have endrinriggers or ironclad + thunderers coalition with my Tempest Eye army in the Cities of Sigmar), though I have fielded some of the models.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ArkanautDadmiral said:

We seeing anything interesting in the new SC stuff to ally in?

I'm still digesting all the new toys.

The dragon riders seems to be really powerful and not that expensive.

Vigilors (SCE with arrows in thunderstrike armor) can "mark" an enemy if they hit with their bows (18" range +6" move with 3+/3+/-1/1 profile), and everything that shoot at the same "marked" unit will have +1 to hit.

Not sure what the points are but Im keen for the Knight-Judicator. 

Ive always thought it'd be cool to have barrages coming in from ships overhead. So thinking of mocking up a model with some ranging instruments that guides in shots from overhead, or a once per game area salvo for the judicators special ability.

Instead of the gryph hounds would make up some sort of warning beacon, not sure yet on whether I'll do it with an automation type thing or an arkanaut assistant of sorts.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 11:36 PM, EatRawFish22 said:

Slightly off topic question, but can you run using barak-zifilin's footnote? I've been told that they can, but the rules seem to be worded as to not allow that.  I also don't know if you can put a marine from a core battalion into a ship of the same battalion.

We had this same conversation with other fellow Admirals (Whats App) and we understand that you can't run using Zilfin's Footnote. Instead, you can run with Oportunistic Privateers from Barak Mhornar.

About joining a Garrison/Skyvessel, yes, you can put a Marine in your ship from the same Core Battalion, even if it's 1-drop battalion. New 3.0 rules says:"...you must set up all of the other units from the battalion, one after the other...". In other words, you set-up the ship and inmediately set-up your models inside.

Edit: FAQ'd, so no more Run with Oportunistic Privateer.

Edited by Beliman

Hello Admirals! I am after advice. My 13 year old nephew is wanting to start a kharadron army. He will want build to 2000 points and is determined to use the big boat.

What would be a decent and economical build that involves the big boat? That way he can plan purchases and birthday/Christmas presents. If it helps, He mainly plays with his dad, me and my son and we have Khorne mortals, seraphon, slaves and sylvaneth. So we’ll need a decent but not meta chasing list for him. His current sylvaneth army folds like a wet paper towel, so something with some staying power.

Finally, I have only looked jn the tome for the first time yesterday. Are there any dos and fonts with regards abilities, traits, builds etc?

Thanks so much in advance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

Hello Admirals! I am after advice. My 13 year old nephew is wanting to start a kharadron army. He will want build to 2000 points and is determined to use the big boat.

What would be a decent and economical build that involves the big boat? That way he can plan purchases and birthday/Christmas presents. If it helps, He mainly plays with his dad, me and my son and we have Khorne mortals, seraphon, slaves and sylvaneth. So we’ll need a decent but not meta chasing list for him. His current sylvaneth army folds like a wet paper towel, so something with some staying power.

Finally, I have only looked jn the tome for the first time yesterday. Are there any dos and fonts with regards abilities, traits, builds etc?

Thanks so much in advance

I believe (and competitive players please stop me if I’m wrong) that meta KO builds are more about the skyport and certain artefacts rather than what units you take. For a casual setting I’ve found there aren’t really any units that are so bad you should always avoid.

A good start might be to get the ironclad, a start collecting set and a box of arkanauts. That’s 1105 depending on how you build the balloon troops. He’ll need to go with Urbaz or Nar (to make the gunhauler or thunderers battleline) if he wanted to play some test games with it, but it’d be a good starting point. 

From there I would expand on what models he like the look of. Getting an endrinmaster with dirigible suit and using that as a general makes having the rest of his battleline easier, but isn’t essential if he goes with a skyport that unlocks battleline choices or just likes arkanauts.

Hope that’s some helpful thoughts for a starting point

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Azamar said:

I believe (and competitive players please stop me if I’m wrong) that meta KO builds are more about the skyport and certain artefacts rather than what units you take. For a casual setting I’ve found there aren’t really any units that are so bad you should always avoid.

A good start might be to get the ironclad, a start collecting set and a box of arkanauts. That’s 1105 depending on how you build the balloon troops. He’ll need to go with Urbaz or Nar (to make the gunhauler or thunderers battleline) if he wanted to play some test games with it, but it’d be a good starting point. 

From there I would expand on what models he like the look of. Getting an endrinmaster with dirigible suit and using that as a general makes having the rest of his battleline easier, but isn’t essential if he goes with a skyport that unlocks battleline choices or just likes arkanauts.

Hope that’s some helpful thoughts for a starting point

Thanks that’s great. Sounds like a good start and advice. Knowing he can’t trap himself with poor units is good. His sylvaneth experience had been difficult. Getting to about 1000 is good as we can do some test games.

The advice on sky ports is helpful. I know my way around a tome but wasn’t sure where to properly start with the KOs when I was reading the book last night (was 11pm so I have an excuse).

I know he is excited to get started, I’m less excited about having my Khorne shot off the table 😀

Thanks a lot